Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Harbaugh

azcolt

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Offensive innovator?  You don't need a new HC to achieve that.  All you need is a new OC.  Throw in a new OL coach and you have addressed the remaining major issues with the team.  The defense is well on its way to being fixed compared to a year ago.   Let's face it.  Chuck's offense has been playing with both hands tied behind it's back.  No Luck, Rookie QB.  You're not going to win many games that way.  I'm hoping our players continue to improve and we finish strong.   What happens happens.  Hopefully we can all support our coach going forward no matter who it is. 

Well then, let me clarify. I'd like to see a new HC who is a proven creative offensive expert and who brings in a top DC to run that side of the operation. As for Chuck having two hands tied behind his back, I'd disagree. His bad decision making and inability to adapt at halftime are infamous by now and need no further discussion. Luck or no Luck, Pagano has caused his own demise. I'm looking forward to a fresh start with a new coaching staff. Can't happen soon enough. 

I've cooled off on Harbaugh.   He hasn't really impressed at Michigan as of late.  He doesn't really ingratiate himself well over time.  I don't expect him to be available anyway.

I also don't want Gruden.  Not impressed by his tenure in Tampa Bay and the deterioration of that defense under his watch.  That Super Bowl trophy he has was with Dungy's team.  The longer Gruden coached there the worse Tampa got.

I trust Ballard to evaluate what's out there and bring in the kind of coach that he wants. Maybe someone he knows from his tenure in Kansas City or Green Bay.  I don't think it has to be a big name for a big name's sake.   If it is, then it will most likely have Irsay's footprints all over it not Ballard's.

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Well then, let me clarify. I'd like to see a new HC who is a proven creative offensive expert and who brings in a top DC to run that side of the operation. As for Chuck having two hands tied behind his back, I'd disagree. His bad decision making and inability to adapt at halftime are infamous by now and need no further discussion. Luck or no Luck, Pagano has caused his own demise. I'm looking forward to a fresh start with a new coaching staff. Can't happen soon enough. 

If you don't think Chuck has had his hands tied because of more than a couple of things I think you need to look closer. No QB, no running game, injuries and rookies. Lack of talent at key positions. You cant make adjustments when you are limited to the players available with the talent to make it happen. All Chuck has been able to do is keep what talent he does have on the field. He don't have the depth to be creative.

Chuck is a man of hollow cliches and no answers.  Time for a change in Indy.  Black Monday will be like a holiday once we show Pagano the door.  Looking forward to a new head coach and a true fresh start for the Ballard era.

I fully expect the Colts to come out of the bye and start stringing some meaningless wins together.  Our remaining opponents are also soft and this team just may stumble and bumble it's way to 6 or 7 wins. Just enough to screw up draft position and give Pagano proponents a measure of hope for his retention.  Irsay would be out of his mind to be swayed by that.  Our course of action should be clear...clean the slate and let Ballard hire his own man.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Offensive innovator?  You don't need a new HC to achieve that.  All you need is a new OC.  Throw in a new OL coach and you have addressed the remaining major issues with the team.  The defense is well on its way to being fixed compared to a year ago.   Let's face it.  Chuck's offense has been playing with both hands tied behind it's back.  No Luck, Rookie QB.  You're not going to win many games that way.  I'm hoping our players continue to improve and we finish strong.   What happens happens.  Hopefully we can all support our coach going forward no matter who it is. 

Brissett is a second year player in the NFL.  Last year was his rookie season.

2 hours ago, azcolt said:

Unless your last name is Irsay, you have no clue who the next coach will be. And the last time I checked, this franchise is a train wreck -- not a place likely to attract the very best candidates, at least until Luck's future is clear.

lol relax man it was only :sarcasm:. But in all honesty any coach would be a upgrade over pags. i just hope tho that if Harbaugh is chosen he doesn't demand full control because this is Ballard's team and we don't need more drama.

3 hours ago, azcolt said:

Unless your last name is Irsay, you have no clue who the next coach will be. And the last time I checked, this franchise is a train wreck -- not a place likely to attract the very best candidates, at least until Luck's future is clear.

:headspin::lol:

JMO that Anyone not named McDaniels would have Great interest coaching here, with or without LUCKY.

By a fair margin i bet it is Gruden. lol

48 minutes ago, Roger said:

Brissett is a second year player in the NFL.  Last year was his rookie season.

He joined the Colts with no benefit of a camp or preseason with the team.  It has been documented that the Patriots offense and the Colts offense are extremely different.   For all practical purposes he is a rookie on our team and our real rookies have had a camp and preseason with the team.  He is even farther removed from understanding the playbook than our real rookies.  I would call that another hand tied beneath the offenses back. 

I didn't want to start a new thread for this but consider.....

A lot of speculation around Harbaugh returning to the NFL but there is another current Big Ten coach that is worth watching. He also coached in the NFL for many years including the Super Bowl. He has ties to Chris Ballard and Jim Irsay.

Lovie Smith.

- Successful NFL head coach.

- Coached the Bears to a Super Bowl.

- Chris Ballard worked for the Bears for all or most of the time Lovie was the head coach.

- Lovie worked with Tony Dungy in Tampa. I think Jim is likely to ask Tony what he thinks of possible head coaches. Tony vouching for Lovie would mean something.

A couple other thoughts...

- No way to know how Ballard views Lovie. Just because they worked together in Chicago does not mean that Ballard thinks highly of Lovie.

- Obviously I have no way to know for certain but I believe Jim Irsay has a desire to hire a head coach who is proven over a current coordinator.

- I don't know if Lovie has a desire to leave Illinois but I would be surprised if he turned down a chance to return to the NFL.

My point is that Lovie is a name to watch out for. All of the speculation is around Jon Gruden and Jim Harbaugh but I think there is just a good of a chance that Lovie is hired by the Colts as there is of Gruden or Harbaugh. It could also be none of them...time will tell.

5 minutes ago, ar7 said:

A lot of speculation around Harbaugh returning to the NFL but there is another current Big Ten coach that is worth watching. He also coached in the NFL for many years including the Super Bowl. He has ties to Chris Ballard and Jim Irsay.

Lovie Smith.

- Chris Ballard worked for the Bears for all or most of the time Lovie was the head coach.

- Lovie worked with Tony Dungy in Tampa. I think Jim is likely to ask Tony what he thinks of possible head coaches. Tony vouching for Lovie would mean something.

- No way to know how Ballard views Lovie. Just because they worked together in Chicago does not mean that Ballard thinks highly of Lovie.

- Obviously I have no way to know for certain but I believe Jim Irsay has a desire to hire a head coach who is proven over a current coordinator.

- I don't know if Lovie has a desire to leave Illinois but I would be surprised if he turned down a chance to return to the NFL.

My point is that Lovie is a name to watch out for. All of the speculation is around Jon Gruden and Jim Harbaugh but I think there is just a good of a chance that Lovie is hired by the Colts as there is of Gruden or Harbaugh. It could also be none of them...time will tell.

No thanks 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He joined the Colts with no benefit of a camp or preseason with the team.  It has been documented that the Patriots offense and the Colts offense are extremely different.   For all practical purposes he is a rookie on our team and our real rookies have had a camp and preseason with the team.  He is even farther removed from understanding the playbook than our real rookies.  I would call that another hand tied beneath the offenses back. 

Brisset had an entire season of practices, camp, OTAs. He started two games. He's not a rookie just because he was not on the Colts roster for training camp.  This is not MLB.  He was on a roster for the 2016 season. 

Take it up with Merriam-Webster.

2 minutes ago, Roger said:

Brisset had an entire season of practices, camp, OTAs. He started two games. He's not a rookie just because he was not on the Colts roster for training camp.  This is not MLB.  He was on a roster for the 2016 season. 

Take it up with Merriam-Webster.

Give me a break.  It's easier for MLB players to move around and contribute right away.  A fastball is a fastball and a curveball is a curveball no matter what team you're on.  They don't have to learn offenses or work on timing with receivers.  Brissett had an entire season of practices and even a few games with a different offense and receivers.  For the Colts he was a rookie who came into camp late and was forced to start.  A huge handicap for our offense.  If you're hung up on the technical definition so be it.  The point is he was as much a rookie with us as any other rookie on our team.   Pretty easy to comprehend I think. 

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Give me a break.  It's easier for MLB players to move around and contribute right away.  A fastball is a fastball and a curveball is a curveball no matter what team you're on.  They don't have to learn offenses or work on timing with receivers.  Brissett had an entire season of practices and even a few games with a different offense and receivers.  For the Colts he was a rookie who came into camp late and was forced to start.  A huge handicap for our offense.  If you're hung up on the technical definition so be it.  The point is he was as much a rookie with us as any other rookie on our team.   Pretty easy to comprehend I think. 

Players get traded every year.  Their careers do not get reset upon trade.  A rookie has to adjust to pro practice, he has to adjust to the pro game.  You could look up colts.com and see there is no "R" beside Brissett's name.

On 11/18/2017 at 3:49 PM, zibby43 said:

Why would we want a guy that's been the epitome of underwhelming . . . in the Big 10?

I'm sorry, but Harbaugh's offense is light-years behind what innovative teams like the Rams, Chiefs, Patriots, and Steelers are doing.

That is not what the Colts need.

Overrated in the college ranks & apparently too good for the NFL. Going out on a limb, but he might not be the best option.

23 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The average talent of Smith? Maybe. But the talent level of Hunt and Hill Is not average. Do you watch the Chiefs at all?

I watch them a bit. I can certainly concede that Hill is the most talented of the three and may be better than I gave him credit for in my post...

Hunt is not that great, imo. He has had a very good season, especially for a rookie, but I think he has overachieved quite a bit. He doesn't have the elite power/speed combo of guys like Fournette or Zeke. I think he's an average (or slightly above) running back in a very good situation. I don't think he would be rated so highly if he ran for Cleveland or Indy.

Just my opinion, though. I'm not married to it, either... I'm sure I've made many foolish statements about young players in the past. 

I was just trying to illustrate that the OC in KC (is his name Nagy?) is part of an offense that is playing better than the sum of its parts. How much of that can be attributed to him and how much is Andy Reid is a fair question, though. New HC candidates are always a gamble, though. 

20 hours ago, ar7 said:

Lovie Smith.

Lovie does not coach anymore because that tired Tampa 2 is terrible in today's NFL.  It worked in the early 2000's but as Dungy retired so did that D.  Hints why he was fired in Chicago, and shorty after in Tampa Bay.  No thanks!

21 hours ago, ar7 said:

Lovie Smith.

Reportedly, Ballard and Lovie are long-time friends. When Lovie was hired by TB to be the HC, they wanted Ballard to be the GM...even though he had no real executive experience at that point. It was probably due to the relationship they had.

However, Ballard declined the interview request...probably because he had just arrived in KC the year before and wasn't ready to jump to a new job (and maybe didn't want that perception as well)...but also because by hiring Lovie before hiring a GM, TB made it pretty clear who would be making the decisions.

But now Ballard would be the guy and Lovie would be his HC. I hope it doesn't happen, but I don't think it's out of the question.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Reportedly, Ballard and Lovie are long-time friends. When Lovie was hired by TB to be the HC, they wanted Ballard to be the GM...even though he had no real executive experience at that point. It was probably due to the relationship they had.

However, Ballard declined the interview request...probably because he had just arrived in KC the year before and wasn't ready to jump to a new job (and maybe didn't want that perception as well)...but also because by hiring Lovie before hiring a GM, TB made it pretty clear who would be making the decisions.

But now Ballard would be the guy and Lovie would be his HC. I hope it doesn't happen, but I don't think it's out of the question.

I think it's out of the question because we'd have to rebuild the entire D to get the type of personnel lovie would need for that scheme.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think it's out of the question because we'd have to rebuild the entire D to get the type of personnel lovie would need for that scheme.

That's true. But Ballard has already shown that he doesn't mind overturning the roster. I don't think it's likely at all to happen. I can just see why it would be speculated.

6 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

That's true. But Ballard has already shown that he doesn't mind overturning the roster. I don't think it's likely at all to happen. I can just see why it would be speculated.

If we had plans on switching to a Tampa 2 scheme there would have been no reason to bring Chuck back and go through another draft of bringing in 3-4 based linemen, defensive backs etc.    I don't see why he would do that after coming from a successful defensive model in Kansas City.    I get what you're saying though.

Any speculation of Lovie Smith holds about the same weight as speculation for any name you want to insert..... All hear say and nothing else.

For what it is worth, Lovie Smith is the exact opposite of what we would need.  Trying to rebuild a defense, and then rebuild what you already have to fit him would be beyond pointless.

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Any speculation of Lovie Smith holds about the same weight as speculation for any name you want to insert..... All hear say and nothing else.

For what it is worth, Lovie Smith is the exact opposite of what we would need.  Trying to rebuild a defense, and then rebuild what you already have to fit him would be beyond pointless.

I'm sure he'd adapt just like all these other Tampa 2 coaches did.   The started running what Seattle does and still mixing it in.   I don't want him though.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm sure he'd adapt just like all these other Tampa 2 coaches did.   The started running what Seattle does and still mixing it in.   I don't want him though.

I see what your saying but I would disagree.  He never tried to mix much in while at Tampa.  He pushed that Tampa 2 crap while they had solid athletes and were built for a 3-4 at the time.  

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I see what your saying but I would disagree.  He never tried to mix much in while at Tampa.  He pushed that Tampa 2 crap while they had solid athletes and were built for a 3-4 at the time.  

Their offense wasn't all that good at the time.   But if you give anybody the benefit of the doubt that would be Lovey.  He executed that scheme pretty well anywhere he went.  I can't totally call it crap because he did it well.

13 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Main issue they had when he was there on defense was they didn't have a strong pass rushing group across the front 4.   That's what makes that system go when you have a disruptive front 4.  You can just send 4 and clog the passing lanes.   When your front 4 isn't good then everything else falls apart.  He wasn't really there long enough to get the personnel he needed.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Their offense wasn't all that good at the time.   But if you give anybody the benefit of the doubt that would be Lovey.  He executed that scheme pretty well anywhere he went.  I can't totally call it crap because he did it well.

I am just not a fan of it.  It is unfair to call it crap as they had some good defenses while in Chicago, and Tony had some good D's as well.  I would not want it here though.  Honestly I do not want Lovie.  I would want a someone with a solid offensive mind.

5 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I am just not a fan of it.  It is unfair to call it crap as they had some good defenses while in Chicago, and Tony had some good D's as well.  I would not want it here though.  Honestly I do not want Lovie.  I would want a someone with a solid offensive mind.

Agreed.   I don't think Lovie is in the cards at all and I don't think we'd be going back to that scheme.

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

Main issue they had when he was there on defense was they didn't have a strong pass rushing group across the front 4.   That's what makes that system go when you have a disruptive front 4.  You can just send 4 and clog the passing lanes.   When your front 4 isn't good then everything else falls apart.  He wasn't really there long enough to get the personnel he needed.

Oh I get that, which we do not have as well.  We are built to continue to move with the 3-4 scheme.  We need a pass rusher no matter what so that is true.

On 11/18/2017 at 5:26 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

why all the hype on harbaugh? is he a football guru like bb? i dont think so, if we change coaches which i dont think we will it should be a proven nfl winner not a college coach, college football is a different animal

Umm Harbaugh is a proven NFL winner as a player and a HC..  He's 44-19 as an NFL head coach, went to the NFC Championship game 3 out of the 4 years and one SB.

If he becomes available to coach in the NFL again (which I don't think he will) the Colts would be fortunate to get him.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Umm Harbaugh is a proven NFL winner as a player and a HC..  He's 44-19 as an NFL head coach, went to the NFC Championship game 3 out of the 4 years and one SB.

If he becomes available to coach in the NFL again (which I don't think he will) the Colts would be fortunate to get him.

The 49ers fired him for a reason.