Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on the Defense:

Lawrence Owen

Alright, this is where I'll spill a lot of my thoughts about the defense that i've seen so far this year.

Early on, there was a lot of seen potential.  Stretches of games where they would look top 5. and other times where they looked dead last.  The stats they gave up concorred last or near last for specific reasons. a Lot of rookies, and other new faces.  All of which had to learn not just a new scheme, but each others personalities and tendancies.  This is much of the reason why they gave up so many big plays, especiallt in the air, to even below average QB's.  A learning curve for every player on our defense, even guys like Anderson, Butler, Davis, they had a learning curve for adjusting to all the new players around them.  And they looked bad, even terrible at times. 

Then they started to get it.  (chalking this up to coaching staff)  Each week the run defense looked more and more solid, much faster than the secondary did.  1/2 way through the season we have what I see as a 'potential' top 5 run defense.  Giving a little more time, and as the pass defense grows, the run D will become even more solid.

The pass defense has taken much longer to click.  Especially considering the youth in this area, I am suprised they have come as far as the have already.  Hairston and Desir have shown promise as starters while the top rookies Hooker and Wilson have been injury riddled.  Melvin and Farley have grown emmensly over the offseason and befome trusted defenders themselves.  Even with 3 starters ( Hooker, Wilson and Geathers) out with injury the remaining pieces have grown and have learned thier respective jobs over the first 8 games.  This bodes well when the time comes when we start getting back hurt players.  

The Linebackers have grown as well.  Simon and Sheard have been effective (though not dominate) at rushing the passer.  The get many hurries and hits each game, just not able to get home as much as i'd like.  But thier presence is felt most of the game, which is what we lacked in the department completely last year.  Bostic and Mirrison and shown great ability at diagnosing run plays and tackling.  Thier weakness is dropping back in pass coverage.  This Linebacking corps is where i'd drop my 'eggs' into for draft next year.  Another pass rusher (elite if the opportunity presents itself, because the 2 we have now are on the next level down from that. so we really don't need 3 average to sleightly above average) and a speedy pass coverage middle linebacker.  Someone who can drop back and cover a TE, and follow a RB, or be a QB spy.

So to me, I see a defense that have most of it's tools already in the bag.  they just need to be broke in a little more.  The proof is in the pudding so to speak.  Taking away the first two weeks because of completely new personell being on the field 75% of the time because of a poorly ran offense headed by a terrible QB, They have gotten better and better each week.  They have been keeping offensive juggernaughts to minimum gains and averages.  The Steelers for instance.  23 points, Bell 80 yards on 3.1 YPC, Brown 3 catches 46 yards, and Big Ben 19/31 236 yards 2TD's and an INT.  Now look at what They did to Dick Lebeau's Defense with the Titans whom are supposedly top 10...Bell 3.8 ypc, Brown 10 catches for 144 yards and 3 TD's. and Ben 30/45 299 yards and 4 TD's and no picks. 

It's not just the Steelers either, if you go look back and the past 4 games and what the defense did to them, and then what that team did the VERY following week, you'll see a trend. 

Indy's defense is for real.

Now, only if we could get Brissett to quit coughing up the ball in the 4th quarter with the game tight.....lol

The Colts have too many weaknesses and not enough draft picks to bolster the entire roster in one draft.  If the current defensive backfield continues to improve and play at a consistently high level for the rest of this season, it would free up Ballard to focus on improving other positions of glaring need.

Although it would be great to acquire a proven shut-down CB, that becomes more of a luxury than a necessity.  The team still needs an elite edge rusher, two or three stud OL, a fast ILB who can cover, a power RB to replace Gore, a true #1 WR (Hilton is ideal in the slot), a better #2 WR than Moncrief, and a TE who is good at both catching and blocking.

Maybe Ballard can splurge in the offseason and sign two or three expensive free agents to address a few of these needs before going into the draft.

1 hour ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I'm wondering why guys like Hairston, Melvin, and Fairley are getting so many props. The stats tell a tale of a weak secondary. They do have promise, maybe they can gel And finish the season strong. I liked the Pitt game

It's been the linebackers that have been the biggest coverage problem 

12 hours ago, BlueStallion said:

The Colts have too many weaknesses and not enough draft picks to bolster the entire roster in one draft.  If the current defensive backfield continues to improve and play at a consistently high level for the rest of this season, it would free up Ballard to focus on improving other positions of glaring need.

Although it would be great to acquire a proven shut-down CB, that becomes more of a luxury than a necessity.  The team still needs an elite edge rusher, two or three stud OL, a fast ILB who can cover, a power RB to replace Gore, a true #1 WR (Hilton is ideal in the slot), a better #2 WR than Moncrief, and a TE who is good at both catching and blocking.

Maybe Ballard can splurge in the offseason and sign two or three expensive free agents to address a few of these needs before going into the draft.

i hope he does

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

It's been the linebackers that have been the biggest coverage problem 

Again, and trust me I like to be positive. We have given up the most big plays. The stats just tell a different story. I get it, I like the players but someone is somehow letting big plays. That's a safety, and corner issue many times. I've watched every game and have seen it. The secondary gives up some big ones. Maybe it's just a familiarity issue from crazy turnover.

3 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

Again, and trust me I like to be positive. We have given up the most big plays. The stats just tell a different story. I get it, I like the players but someone is somehow letting big plays. That's a safety, and corner issue many times. I've watched every game and have seen it. The secondary gives up some big ones. Maybe it's just a familiarity issue from crazy turnover.

I honestly think this is it.  Like i said in the OP, They have been strong down the stretch, and every team gives up 2-3  20+ yard plays in the air,...ussually more.  But from what i've seen most of those chunk plays come in the 4th quarter when our Offence is unable to move the ball and keep our defense off the field.  So between them being winded, and still in the learning process, I think this is why we have given up monster yards through the air.  I think the tape also shows this.  IF we can just keep the ball longer on "O", then i think our "D" can become more effective.  Not even neccissarily score every drive,...just get a first down or 2 each drive.  3 and outs really gas a defense.

The defense seems to be getting better and with the average age of the secondary being pretty low they SHOULD have potential to improve.

We still lack the game changers in key positions namely pass rusher and middle linebacker. It's how we fill those gaps which determine how good this group can be.

Don't forget that coaching schemes have also played a part in the D's 4th qtr. performance. The "rush only 3, play prevent defense" approach has consistently failed. This coaching staff coaches not to lose instead of staying aggressive and taking it to the O. 

On 11/19/2017 at 8:01 AM, Hoose said:

Don't forget that coaching schemes have also played a part in the D's 4th qtr. performance. The "rush only 3, play prevent defense" approach has consistently failed. This coaching staff coaches not to lose instead of staying aggressive and taking it to the O. 

I have to wonder if the lack of pressure on the O is because of our poor LB crew?  if team see us showing blitz (Manusky has to disguise these very well) then they'll just throw slants against our poor covering LB's and torch us after catch.

I still don't understand why we play so much zone.  Give the kids a chance to cover.  We don't have a resectable pass rush so receivers always find out soft spots.  It gashes us every time.

The defense still lacks elite players and game changers. Guys who keep OC’s up at night and make you change your game plan. As the OP pointed out, it’s primarily the ILBs who constantly get abused in coverage. But there aren’t any athletic playmakers anywhere except for perhaps Malik Hooker at FS.  Simon if he comes back to form is also one.