Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quenton Nelson

If he is there when the Colts pick there should be no doubt you take him. 

Let's make one thing perfectly clear here. Protecting Luck when he comes back healthy is by far the most important thing that needs to be addressed this offseason.

Mewhort isn't coming back and we are gonna need somebody to plug in at G and be that dominant force we have been missing for years.

Nelson would help the 2018 Colts tremendously

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Tracy Denton said:

YES !! and I think there will be a solid tackle in rounds 2-3, add in a FA guard and we might have something.

This is how I think we fix the line in one season:

FA:

Sign Justin Pugh, OG

Draft:

-Round 1: Quenton Nelson, OG

-Round 2: Connor Williams, OT

2017 starting OL:

LT Anthony Castonzo 

LG Quenton Nelson

C Ryan Kelly

RG Justin Pugh

RT Connor Williams 

Williams can take over for Castonzo at LT once his contract is up while we figure if Clark or Haeg can be the RT of the future.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

If he is there when the Colts pick there should be no doubt you take him. 

Let's make one thing perfectly clear here. Protecting Luck when he comes back healthy is by far the most important thing that needs to be addressed this offseason.

Mewhort isn't coming back and we are gonna need somebody to plug in at G and be that dominant force we have been missing for years.

Nelson would help the 2018 Colts tremendously

"The area where he needs some work is protecting the gaps. Nelson doesnt have great lateral quickness which makes him susceptible to quicker pass rushers. Some of these issues are related to his less than ideal awareness.

There are times where Nelson doesn’t immediately identify the most immediate pass rush threat. This leads to a clear path to the quarterback from time to time."

When i saw his size i thought of Mike Iupati who was listed as 6'5 and 330.
I guess as good a road grader as there was for a few years. A Great asset.
He also gave up a ton of pressure and 6-7 sacks a season. I wonder, looking back, how high.would you have been willing to draft Iupati?

I'll guestimate we draft 7-9. And i am interested in watching tape on him after the season, and seeing him at the combine.

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

This is how I think we fix the line in one season:

FA:

Sign Justin Pugh, OG

Draft:

-Round 1: Quenton Nelson, OG

-Round 2: Connor Williams, OT

2017 starting OL:

LT Anthony Castonzo 

LG Quenton Nelson

C Ryan Kelly

RG Justin Pugh

RT Connor Williams 

Williams can take over for Castonzo at LT once his contract is up while we figure if Clark or Haeg can be the RT of the future.

Yep. That's been the outline of my plan for addressing the O-line - sign the best possible G in FA and put him at RG, draft Nelson and whoever the best T is at the top of the second(in a weird way I think Orlando Brown might be better RT than Connor Williams, but I wouldn't be looking a gifted horse in the mouth). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m going to try and find another source too. But even in mock drafts from different places I’ve seen him falling.

Thanks,  I appreciate that....

A reminder......    most every sports outlet does mock drafts but most of them don't know what they're doing.

They're popular to do because they're click bait.       Doesn't mean they're reputable.

Heck,  my mother stilll does the occasional mock draft and she's been dead since 1990!!    

(Just saying!)    :thmup:

I appreciate that most of the work done by Kiper and McShaw is premium and most don't pay for it.    But the NFL.com guys are free.....

That said,   I don't think they're doing mocks yet and I haven't really even seen lists up on the website yet.    NFL.com changed formats this past off-season and the new format is awful, terrible and putrid.     Color me NOT a fan!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks,  I appreciate that....

A reminder......    most every sports outlet does mock drafts but most of them don't know what they're doing.

They're popular to do because they're click bait.       Doesn't mean they're reputable.

Heck,  my mother ilstl does the occasional mock draft and she's been dead since 1990!!    (Just saying!)    :thmup:

I appreciate that most of the work done by Kiper and McShaw is premium and most don't pay for it.    But the NFL.com guys are free.....

That said,   I don't think they're doing mocks yet and I haven't really even seen lists up on the website yet.    NFL.com changed formats this past off-season and the new format is awful, terrible and putrid.     Color me NOT a fan!

I'm watching Connor Williams right now. His pass set is beautiful. I don't know if W. Virginia has any good pass rushers so it's hard to evaluate, but he's looking awesome in pass-protection and like a mauler in the run game. He is looking really good to my untrained eye. 

• Like 2

I just realized something... the more games we win(within reason) the more likely it is we draft Nelson. Think about it. What might be a reason for us to not draft him? Positional value doesn't dictate drafting Gs in the top 5? We like one of the pass-rushers or OTs or DBs better? 

Lets say we win 6 games and end up with the 10th pick. What would be different than picking no. 3 or 4? The positional value of guards at 10 might be much more reasonable than at 3-4. Also... a lot of the premier players at premier positions(Pass-rush, OT, CB) will be gone. For example... I can't think of a scenario where drafting at 10 and Nelson being available, he wouldn't be the best player available. (Granted I thought the same last year and we ended up with my no. 3 ranked player in Hooker)

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

I just realized something... the more games we win(within reason) the more likely it is we draft Nelson. Think about it. What might be a reason for us to not draft him? Positional value doesn't dictate drafting Gs in the top 5? We like one of the pass-rushers or OTs or DBs better? 

Lets say we win 6 games and end up with the 10th pick. What would be different than picking no. 3 or 4? The positional value of guards at 10 might be much more reasonable than at 3-4. Also... a lot of the premier players at premier positions(Pass-rush, OT, CB) will be gone. For example... I can't think of a scenario where drafting at 10 and Nelson being available, he wouldn't be the best player available. (Granted I thought the same last year and we ended up with my no. 3 ranked player in Hooker)

Everyone seems to be saying that Nelson is a top 5, if not top 2 player in this draft. Getting him at any pick from #4-10 would be good. I don’t even think he makes it out of the top 10. I think the only other players the Colts would be looking at are James, Williams if his stock rises back up, and Key. Barkley will be gone pretty early so the options are slim. And it seems McGlincheys stock is dropping. And remember that Ballard himself went to USC vs Notre Dame. My gut tells me he really likes someone from Notre Dame.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Everyone seems to be saying that Nelson is a top 5, if not top 2 player in this draft. Getting him at any pick from #4-10 would be good. I don’t even think he makes it out of the top 10. I think the only other players the Colts would be looking at are James, Williams if his stock rises back up, and Key. Barkley will be gone pretty early so the options are slim. And it seems McGlincheys stock is dropping. And remember that Ballard himself went to USC vs Notre Dame. My gut tells me he really likes someone from Notre Dame.

Are you not a fan of Chubb? I think I like him best from all the pass-rushers in the draft. I know his built is more along the lines of a 43DE but remember that Ballard likes size, remember that he is coming from an organization that drafted Justin Houston to play 34OLB for the Chiefs at 270lbs and reportedly Chubb dropped his weight this year to around 260,,, 

44 minutes ago, stitches said:

Are you not a fan of Chubb? I think I like him best from all the pass-rushers in the draft. I know his built is more along the lines of a 43DE but remember that Ballard likes size, remember that he is coming from an organization that drafted Justin Houston to play 34OLB for the Chiefs at 270lbs and reportedly Chubb dropped his weight this year to around 260,,, 

I don’t see anything game changing about Chubb to make him worthy of a top 5 selection. I don’t see Myles Garrett or Joey Bosa. 

24 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don’t see anything game changing about Chubb to make him worthy of a top 5 selection. I don’t see Myles Garrett or Joey Bosa. 

That's fair. I wouldn't say I disagree with that assessment, although... it will depend on how he tests. If he tests similar to Solomon Thomas for example I think he will be more than worthy of a top 5 pick. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's fair. I wouldn't say I disagree with that assessment, although... it will depend on how he tests. If he tests similar to Solomon Thomas for example I think he will be more than worthy of a top 5 pick. 

As of right now Chubb to me is another Derek Barnett.  This is not a bad thing but I would not look at him that early and as a 3-4 scheme he would not be a great fit.  In a 4-3 Chubb would be a perfect fit, and I agree I am very curious to see how he tests at the combine and pro day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

As of right now Chubb to me is another Derek Barnett.  This is not a bad thing but I would not look at him that early and as a 3-4 scheme he would not be a great fit.  In a 4-3 Chubb would be a perfect fit, and I agree I am very curious to see how he tests at the combine and pro day.

He looks more athletic to me. Quicker off the snap, but probably less bend. He also has some pretty good hand technique. I don't know... we'll see I guess... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stitches said:

If we could get say - the 3rd overall pick - and trade back to like 6th and still get Nelson + some compensation... That'd be a win in my book!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Track Guy said:

If we could get say - the 3rd overall pick - and trade back to like 6th and still get Nelson + some compensation... That'd be a win in my book!

I do not see anyway for us to get a top 3 pick.  I highly doubt we even get a top 5 pick.

35 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

In a trade down scenario fair enough, but I’m not using a top 7 pick on a Guard unless I have no other option.

I disagree. I see Nelson as a blue chip player at a position of need for the Colts. Colts rise and fall with Andrew Luck. You have an injured franchise QB that plays behind a terrible Offensive Line for years the hell you take a Guard like Nelson with any pick even with nr. 1 if he can help fix your line.

On 11/20/2017 at 8:43 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Went with Morrison and Ridgeway instead...

Also took D’Juon Smith over Tevin Coleman....

Missed twice in his own backyard.

So many what ifs...

2015 - Malcom Brown or Landon Collins (round 1), Danielle Hunter (rd 2), Kwon Alexander (rd4), Trenton Brown (rd 5-7), Lael Collins (rd 5-7)

2016 - Yannick Ngakoue, Kevin Byard, or Sean Davis instead of TJ Green, Blake Martinez instead of Antonio Morrison, Jordan Howard instead of Haason Ridgeway. Pick up Michael Pierce in FA.

2017 - Kareem Hunt instead of Tarell Basham, George Kittle or Desmond King instead of Zach Banner.

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:07 PM, austriancolt said:

I disagree. I see Nelson as a blue chip player at a position of need for the Colts. Colts rise and fall with Andrew Luck. You have an injured franchise QB that plays behind a terrible Offensive Line for years the hell you take a Guard like Nelson with any pick even with nr. 1 if he can help fix your line.

and to add to that....if you have the opportunity to take an elite prospect, you take him. Nelson happens to be an elite prospect and in a position of need. There are no Myles Garrets or Mario Williams' in this draft. There are very good but not elite pass rushers at the top of this draft. To me it's a no brainer...Yes it's true you usually don't take a guard that high  unless he's a rare player...Nelson is that rare player.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

and to add to that....if you have the opportunity to take an elite prospect, you take him. Nelson happens to be an elite prospect and in a position of need. There are no Myles Garrets or Mario Williams' in this draft. There are very good but not elite pass rushers at the top of this draft. To me it's a no brainer...Yes it's true you usually don't take a guard that high  unless he's a rare player...Nelson is that rare player.

Now anyone who knows me knows that I always seem to fall in love with an O-lineman and a running back every draft season... So I'll preface it by saying I'm always huge on the idea of us establishing a running game. 

But I do think I'd take - or at least heavily consider taking - Nelson as early as the 4th or 5th in the draft we're currently projected at. Like you say, if you have a shot at a special player, that's worth a lot. Scouts seem to peg Nelson as one of the best guards they've seen of the last several decades. I don't know if there's another player this year who has gotten such reviews - maybe Saquon Barkley? Probably not though. Because praise like that is hard to come by!

• Like 1