Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This is what Andrew Luck being in Europe means

NannyMcafee

4 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

How do you get that?  Sounds to me like he did research and this is a very good option that has a good success rate....  seems to me he is just smart 

Exactly, taking what basically amounts to unlimited financial resources and seeking the best care on the planet isn't "grasping at straws".

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

How do you get that?  Sounds to me like he did research and this is a very good option that has a good success rate....  seems to me he is just smart 

56 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Exactly, taking what basically amounts to unlimited financial resources and seeking the best care on the planet isn't "grasping at straws".

You guys can believe what you want.  I tend to believe that Luck is finished.  He had cortisone shots every week for whole season, that is very bad for the surrounding tissue.  I think he is done, but that is my opinion only.  Time will tell.

22 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

You guys can believe what you want.  I tend to believe that Luck is finished.  He had cortisone shots every week for whole season, that is very bad for the surrounding tissue.  I think he is done, but that is my opinion only.  Time will tell.

Neither one of us commented on his long term prognosis.  You may be right, he could be done.  What I was saying (as I will not speak for Coltfreak) is that travelling to Europe, which by some accounts, is decades ahead of the U.S. in sports medicine does not indicate a last ditch effort.  He's not grasping at straws, he's taking the next logical step on the road to recovery.  But we can agree wholeheartedly that time will tell....the mystery shoul be solved somewhere around draft day.

36 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Neither one of us commented on his long term prognosis.  You may be right, he could be done.  What I was saying (as I will not speak for Coltfreak) is that travelling to Europe, which by some accounts, is decades ahead of the U.S. in sports medicine does not indicate a last ditch effort.  He's not grasping at straws, he's taking the next logical step on the road to recovery.  But we can agree wholeheartedly that time will tell....the mystery shoul be solved somewhere around draft day.

Even the draft will not have the answers. With Brissett on the roster, his age and contract makes the draft an unknown as far as Luck is concerned. When Ballard drafted Brissett his exact words he was drafted for the future. Be it the future of the Colts or a future draft pick we wont know till that time comes. Maybe it was an insurance policy for either scenario. Either way it was a smart move by Ballard.

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Even the draft will not have the answers. With Brissett on the roster, his age and contract makes the draft an unknown as far as Luck is concerned. When Ballard drafted Brissett his exact words he was drafted for the future. Be it the future of the Colts or a future draft pick we wont know till that time comes. Maybe it was an insurance policy for either scenario. Either way it was a smart move by Ballard.

hmm didn't realize Ballard drafted Brissettlmao    but yeah I agree with what you're saying

1 hour ago, sfergson727 said:

You guys can believe what you want. I tend to believe that Luck is finished. He had cortisone shots every week for whole season, that is very bad for the surrounding tissue. I think he is done, but that is my opinion only. Time will tell.

Are you linking long-term cortisone shots to early retirement or not understanding what they are used for?

Luck IS in Europe.     That's been widely reported and no one is refuting it.      This is not in question.

And he's not grasping at straws.      To be clear,  Western Medicine has not worked so far,  so he's trying treatment in German that has been done by a good number of very successful, high profile athletes, and the article names them.

This is not some dying person going to a third world country trying some dangerous experimental treatment.

This is something that has a history of working.     It's not a guarantee,  but past results are encouraging.

I suspect a week or two after the season ends we will hear from Luck and Ballard and maybe even Irsay about Luck's status.     If it hasn't gone well,   I'd expect an MRI to take a look as Doctor Cho has advised.

We will likely know much more by the end of January.      That's my hope.....

7 hours ago, JaguarsWoman said:

Are you linking long-term cortisone shots to early retirement or not understanding what they are used for?

Anyone who has had cortisone shots probably remembers the long list of warnings that come with it.  Specifically not to have the shot more than every three or four months.  Cortisone damages the tissues it is injected into if done too frequently.  Weekly?  That is not good.

We'll see...I hope he finds what he is looking for over there, since we need him back and fully healed next year.

9 hours ago, sfergson727 said:

Would you be willing to bet your life savings that Luck will never play again? You seem too so go for it. I would bet mine that he plays again.

9 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

Anyone who has had cortisone shots probably remembers the long list of warnings that come with it.  Specifically not to have the shot more than every three or four months.  Cortisone damages the tissues it is injected into if done too frequently.  Weekly?  That is not good.

We'll see...I hope he finds what he is looking for over there, since we need him back and fully healed next year.

Where are you seeing he got weekly cortisone shots?

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

I havent heard it either. Probably something he read from the media who brainwashes everyone into thinking Luck is done. Jim Miller is the only the QB on record in the history of the NFL where this type of injury has ended a career. Luck will play again unless there is something else wrong with him.

44 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I havent heard it either. Probably something he read from the media who brainwashes everyone into thinking Luck is done. Jim Miller is the only the QB on record in the history of the NFL where this type of injury has ended a career. Luck will play again unless there is something else wrong with him.

It was fairly well documented in in the last year.  Do your own homework and decide for yourself...or you could take the uni-kitty approach like Chuck.  Your choice.

as for the media comment, who has been more accurate, the Colts and Irsay or the media?

15 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

It was fairly well documented in in the last year.  Do your own homework and decide for yourself...or you could take the uni-kitty approach like Chuck.  Your choice.

as for the media comment, who has been more accurate, the Colts and Irsay or the media?

I googled it.    Can't find anything saying he had cortisone shots every week 

12 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

You are implying your net worth is small then?  LOL!

Not implying anything, he was the one that said Luck is finished. So maybe he should go to Vegas and bet everything he owns. Why don't you question him? That is just dumb. You make that kind of statement than back it up. All I said was I would bet mine that he plays again. I am doing great in life and don't get brainwashed by the media so take that FWIW.

35 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

Do you have any sources? Twitter, Google? 

I am seeing nothing about weekly cortisone shots in 2016. The only documentation I have seen is from this past October. 

I never heard of the weekly cortisone shots rumor.

The only rumors I saw having to do with "weekly" anything were that Luck was loaded up with Toradol every week just so he could throw. Which, we've seen the recent rumors that Luck's shoulder is messed up more because he played on it for 2 years. Of course, rumors.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Do you have any sources? Twitter, Google? 

I am seeing nothing about weekly cortisone shots in 2016. The only documentation I have seen is from this past October. 

Give me some time to find it again.  Since he had the shot again in October, that is all that google is focused on, but about a year ago there was an article that referenced it.  I'll keep looking.  In the meantime, here's some interesting reading on the effect of cortisone.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/do-cortisone-shots-actually-make-things-worse/

This article references "pain killing injections", however there are better articles out there (more descriptive), it is just a matter of finding them.  I'm not making this stuff up, it has been discussed at length on the radio talk shows as well, I'm surprised so many of you guys are completely out of the loop on this...I figured you all would be following the Colts a little more closely, particularly when it comes to Andrew.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/everything-the-colts-said-about-lucks-injury-for-two-years-raises-red-flags/

6 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

This article references "pain killing injections", however there are better articles out there (more descriptive), it is just a matter of finding them.  I'm not making this stuff up, it has been discussed at length on the radio talk shows as well, I'm surprised so many of you guys are completely out of the loop on this...I figured you all would be following the Colts a little more closely, particularly when it comes to Andrew.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/everything-the-colts-said-about-lucks-injury-for-two-years-raises-red-flags/

If anyone from the team said he was getting weekly cortisone shots,   every sports reporter in the country would have ran an  article on it.     Pain killer injections is far from weekly cortisone injections

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If anyone from the team said he was getting weekly cortisone shots,   every sports reporter in the country would have ran an  article on it.     Pain killer injections is far from weekly cortisone injections

Are you sure?  How do you know the pain killing injections were not cortisone?  I've been to pain doctors for my hips, cortisone was the only thing offered.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck will miss his ninth game of the season when he sits out Sunday's contest against the Titans because of his unhealed lacerated kidney. But now we're learning more about the degree to which Luck was hurt during his first injury-related absence earlier this season.

According to an NFL source, Luck sustained torn cartilage on two of his ribs and was still coping with significant pain after returning to the lineup for four games in late October and early November. The injury likely affected Luck's performance after he returned from a two-game absence that the Colts attributed to a shoulder injury. Luck, according to the source, needed pain-killing injections to play and was quite limited by the injury.
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/12/31/andrew-luck-rib-injury-indianapolis-colts/78139866/

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

JMV would've been all over this and he has never said anything about this. Luck had 1 last month and that is the only time I have heard he had 1.

14 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

I'm not making this stuff up, it has been discussed at length on the radio talk shows as well, I'm surprised so many of you guys are completely out of the loop on this...I figured you all would be following the Colts a little more closely, particularly when it comes to Andrew.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I don't listen to radio or watch that much sports television besides broadcasts of Reds and Colts sporting events. Working in education with a full time job as a dad has put perspective on things important to me. 

When it comes to Andrew and this whole injury saga, I highly doubt we will ever know the complete truth of everything that has transpired. Logic dictates that Luck was not getting cortisone treatments on a weekly basis in 2016, but that is only based on my opinion and nothing more. There isn't any full evidence to discredit or support the claim that he was indeed receiving these treatments. 

I don't blame Irsay or the staff either for any "false" statements. When Jim made his comments about Luck returning this year, I believe he truly meant it. The ball has always been in Andrew's court. Only he for sure knows the truth about what is going on with his shoulder. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I don't listen to radio or watch that much sports television besides broadcasts of Reds and Colts sporting events. Working in education with a full time job as a dad has put perspective on things important to me. 

When it comes to Andrew and this whole injury saga, I highly doubt we will ever know the complete truth of everything that has transpired. Logic dictates that Luck was not getting cortisone treatments on a weekly basis in 2016, but that is only based on my opinion and nothing more. There isn't any full evidence to discredit or support the claim that he was indeed receiving these treatments. 

I don't blame Irsay or the staff either for any "false" statements. When Jim made his comments about Luck returning this year, I believe he truly meant it. The ball has always been in Andrew's court. Only he for sure knows the truth about what is going on with his shoulder. 

I think you are right, we'll never know for sure.  Let's just hope he recovers and is back next year...I think we all can agree on that.

19 minutes ago, sfergson727 said:

Are you sure?  How do you know the pain killing injections were not cortisone?  I've been to pain doctors for my hips, cortisone was the only thing offered.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck will miss his ninth game of the season when he sits out Sunday's contest against the Titans because of his unhealed lacerated kidney. But now we're learning more about the degree to which Luck was hurt during his first injury-related absence earlier this season.

According to an NFL source, Luck sustained torn cartilage on two of his ribs and was still coping with significant pain after returning to the lineup for four games in late October and early November. The injury likely affected Luck's performance after he returned from a two-game absence that the Colts attributed to a shoulder injury. Luck, according to the source, needed pain-killing injections to play and was quite limited by the injury.
https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2015/12/31/andrew-luck-rib-injury-indianapolis-colts/78139866/

My personal interpretation of that is gen needed pain killing shots to play through broken ribs. Not because of the shoulder.