Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manusky vs Monachino

Shadow_Creek

you know when Manusky was running our defense, Vontae davis had a stellar career as we all know. However under Monachino's play calling Davis didn't do so well in coverage. Then he was released for his lack of play and other reasons.i wonder tho if his bad playing was due to the new play calling? Also i wonder if Geathers will be used the same way he was used under Manusky or will he too be set up for failure as well? 

I don't personally believe it had anything to do with Monachino's play calling. Yes, he likes to play way off the receivers sometimes but the other corners out there now are actually doing a pretty damn good job with man to man. I think the injuries and age have gotten the better of Vontae. So I don't believe Monachino is setting anyone up for failure really. (Individually) Play calling can definitely get better. 

Monachino is in over his head and has designed a defense that requires playmakers at key positions which we certainly do not have outside of Geathers who is yet to play a snap with the new defense. He needs to change his thinking because our CURRENT defense is about the farthest thing possible from the Ravens defense he worked with for so many years that had playmakers at almost every position. As far as Davis goes i think age and injuries got the best of him, and i believe with Geathers Monachino will bring the best out of him because as i stated, he is our one and only impact playmaker.

13 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Monachino is in over his head and has designed a defense that requires playmakers at key positions which we certainly do not have outside of Geathers who is yet to play a snap with the new defense. He needs to change his thinking because our CURRENT defense is about the farthest thing possible from the Ravens defense he worked with for so many years that had playmakers at almost every position. As far as Davis goes i think age and injuries got the best of him, and i believe with Geathers Monachino will bring the best out of him because as i stated, he is our one and only impact playmaker.

The Colts defense had a lack of talent when Dungy first arrrived, but they kept running that same Tampa 2 defensive scheme.  There was no Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks etc.   This is not something that is exclusive to Monachino.

Manusky realized our CBs were better in man though. Idk why Ted has had them playing in Zone. I will say Manusky was also way better at dialing up blitzes. Ted has way more talent on the line than Manusky did when he was able to dial up 40 sacks in 2014. So far he’s really disappointed . He doesn’t play to the strength of his players. There are still some holes on the D for sure but Ballard has given him an upgrade over every starter he had on the D last year with the exception of ILB.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

you know when Manusky was running our defense, Vontae davis had a stellar career as we all know. However under Monachino's play calling Davis didn't do so well in coverage. Then he was released for his lack of play and other reasons.i wonder tho if his bad playing was due to the new play calling? Also i wonder if Geathers will be used the same way he was used under Manusky or will he too be set up for failure as well? 

Geathers was having a great season last year under monachino before his neck injury I think he will be fine he needs to play more man to man.

22 hours ago, krunk said:

The Colts defense had a lack of talent when Dungy first arrrived, but they kept running that same Tampa 2 defensive scheme.  There was no Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks etc.   This is not something that is exclusive to Monachino.

Yep. Vic Fangio has gone on to coach some very good defenses as well. He was a favorite scapegoat when he was still in Indy