Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kyle Kalis

zvich

A UDFA who was kinda thrown into the lineup, has held his own decently well. He had a poor game against the Steelers but otherwise didn't look too bad. Do you think after a whole off-season he could be a decent starter? I certainty think he has potential.

22 minutes ago, zvich said:

A UDFA who was kinda thrown into the lineup, has held his own decently well. He had a poor game against the Steelers but otherwise didn't look too bad. Do you think after a whole off-season he could be a decent starter? I certainty think he has potential.

I think he can be get a little bit stronger perhaps I think he could be a good player.

The jury is out. He really struggled last week. Had good moments in prior weeks. Another tough game for the Colts' guards. Vuj was awful. This will be a focal point for the team this off season. Kalis is likely, at best, a long term backup. Will have to survive the rest of '17 and the competition that is sure to come. 

Kalis has been okay so far, which is encouraging considering the circumstances. Maybe he has something. 

But here's the thing. I seriously hope the Colts don't go into next season having an expectation of an improved Oline based off the potential improvement shown in the last half of this season. 

Last season, the Colts O line was like one of the best in the league weeks 11-17 I think. That's all people talked about in the offseason, and it led to Irsay giving his  "The Oline is fixed" comment. Guys like Clark, Good, Haeg, among others showed growth and were expected to be better, and granted each of those guys still have time, but the unit as a whole has struggled (injuries have been a part, but they still struggled).

It's cost us games and has resulted in our backup QB being in concussion protocol right now. 

No matter how good the O line looks the rest of the year, they need to invest some early picks or dollars in FA in improving it. 

I do like him and I am glad we found him this year.  For the future I hope he gets better and becomes a great BACKUP.  I am sick of hoping this guy or that guy shows improvement next year.  Clark needs cut, Good might end up being a stop gap at RT for next year, or Guards are a disaster leaving Kelly on an island every snap.  Vuj needs cut!  Haeg needs to be a backup as well.  These guys are not good enough to play every single game in an NFL season.  

We need AC, Draft/FA, Kelly, Draft/FA, Good/Draft/FA....fix this damn thing now not after "another" year.

I stated after his first game with the Colts he is the future at RG for the Colts. Nothing in the Steelers games made me think any differently.

The mistakes I see him making are not lack of talent mistakes, they are lack of training camp reps with the Colts.  He is a tough, hard nosed guard who has very good technique, good strength and great tenacity.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I stated after his first game with the Colts he is the future at RG for the Colts. Nothing in the Steelers games made me think any differently.

The mistakes I see him making are not lack of talent mistakes, they are lack of training camp reps with the Colts.  He is a tough, hard nosed guard who has very good technique, good strength and great tenacity.

Sort of reminds me of Richie Incognito a little bit.

21 hours ago, Hoose said:

The jury is out. He really struggled last week. Had good moments in prior weeks. Another tough game for the Colts' guards. Vuj was awful. This will be a focal point for the team this off season. Kalis is likely, at best, a long term backup. Will have to survive the rest of '17 and the competition that is sure to come. 

Vuj is always awful. He may be the Colts worst lineman, and that's saying something.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

i would prefer an upgrade with a proven talent

On 11/15/2017 at 10:59 PM, NorthernBlue said:

Kalis has been okay so far, which is encouraging considering the circumstances. Maybe he has something. 

But here's the thing. I seriously hope the Colts don't go into next season having an expectation of an improved Oline based off the potential improvement shown in the last half of this season. 

Last season, the Colts O line was like one of the best in the league weeks 11-17 I think. That's all people talked about in the offseason, and it led to Irsay giving his  "The Oline is fixed" comment. Guys like Clark, Good, Haeg, among others showed growth and were expected to be better, and granted each of those guys still have time, but the unit as a whole has struggled (injuries have been a part, but they still struggled).

It's cost us games and has resulted in our backup QB being in concussion protocol right now. 

No matter how good the O line looks the rest of the year, they need to invest some early picks or dollars in FA in improving it. 

Image result for nod of approval gif

Who knows. Look at Tennessee’s G’s. Spain and Kline. They were nobodies 1.5 years ago and a lot of fans had never heard of either. With that said I want a Zach Martin, Marshall Yanda TYPE G at at least one Guard spot. We can’t afford to hope a guy improves or anything of that sort. We have tons of cap space. We gotta get an immediate fix for the O-Line. Maybe sign 2 G’s. Or sign one and draft one. We could probably get the best G in the draft in the 2nd round if we keep losing. 

3 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Who knows. Look at Tennessee’s G’s. Spain and Kline. They were nobodies 1.5 years ago and a lot of fans had never heard of either. With that said I want a Zach Martin, Marshall Yanda TYPE G at at least one Guard spot. We can’t afford to hope a guy improves or anything of that sort. We have tons of cap space. We gotta get an immediate fix for the O-Line. Maybe sign 2 G’s. Or sign one and draft one. We could probably get the best G in the draft in the 2nd round if we keep losing. 

Not sure how us losing and drafting the best guard in the 2nd go together?  The best OG will be gone within the top half of the 1st round.  There might even be two OG's who go in the first, you never know, but the best will be drafted long before our 2nd round pick.

On 11/16/2017 at 7:54 PM, MTC said:

Don’t think he’s starter material, but good long term depth to have.

Agree. I don’t know why as a fan base we constantly try and oversell random players who are “decent” as the future. I would have hoped everyone would have learned something from last year when Morrison and Jackson were the future at ILB and the O-line was “fixed”. But instead Kalis and Desir are future starters. 1 step at a time people.

35 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

The best guard on the draft this year is Quentin Nelson of Notre Dame.   Look him up.     Check his YouTube tape.

Nelson is not lasting until the 2nd round.  He likely doesn't get past the top 10-12.

If you want the top guard you have to go get him.    He's not lasting to the second round.   Not even close.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agree. I don’t know why as a fan base we constantly try and oversell random players who are “decent” as the future. I would have hoped everyone would have learned something from last year when Morrison and Jackson were the future at ILB and the O-line was “fixed”. But instead Kalis and Desir are future starters. 1 step at a time people.

I have to say I don't think Kalis is a future starter.  I fully expect Ballard to address the Guard position this off season and bring in future starters but Desir is a different story.  If he continues to shine and finishes the season strong I can see him in a starting role and getting resigned along with Melvin.  He pretty much has to play himself out of the lineup or get injured in order for Wilson sees the field again.  Our secondary is playing great right now as long as we play man coverage.  That's where they are strong.  We need to play to their strengths.