Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Gore

NannyMcafee

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I doubt it.  Frank wanted to go to a contender when he signed with us, thinking we were 1 game away from the Superbowl(we really were but the wheels fell off), if there is one interested, he'll go there before resigning with us.  

I agree I'm surprised he didn't request to be released this past offseason to try to go with a contender.

I doubt very much that Gore would be interested in re-signing.  I think Gore remains a hard running baller and I’d love to have him back.  By the same token, however, it might be best If he didn’t return, thereby forcing the Colts to move on and feature Mack or another draft choice.   Very sad that the team imploded around Gore.

I doubt Gore re-signs.  As dysfunctional as the 49ers were under Harbaugh and Balke, they understood the value of a great OL.  They had 1st round picks pretty much across the board, with guys like Staley, Iupati, Davis...they may have also been a one-dimensional offense, but that OL was physically dominant. I'm sure Gore misses at least having blockers who could physically dominate the man across the line from them.   

I'd bet he leaves. He's had to LITERALLY fight for every yard here. 

How many times have RB's gotten tackled 3 yards in the backfield the last couple of years?

Probably back to a California team if he liked it there or to Florida where he went to school I'd guess.

1 hour ago, A8bil said:

I think he's gonna go to the place that is most likely to give him starter, or near starter carries.  I don't think Gore thinks he's done yet.  When he does, he may look for a back up role on a team that can win it all.  The Patriots?

The Eagles maybe Jay has a bad habit of going of script and not going between the tackles . 

3 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I dont think he will want to stay with the Colts he wants to play for a contender and end his career with a Ring. 

The Colts (with a healthy Andrew Luck, Clayton Geathers, good draft and FA acquisitions) have as good of a chance as any team to be a contender, next year.

The problem is, Frank is not a “ home run” threat. If the Colts start Mack and bring in a rookie RB, how many carries can Gore expect?

On 11/15/2017 at 5:03 PM, coltsfeva said:

The Colts (with a healthy Andrew Luck, Clayton Geathers, good draft and FA acquisitions) have as good of a chance as any team to be a contender, next year.

The problem is, Frank is not a “ home run” threat. If the Colts start Mack and bring in a rookie RB, how many carries can Gore expect?

Even with a Healthy Luck , Geathers etc the colts are not a SB contender. Luck is no good if he cant get protection.

4 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Even with a Healthy Luck , Geathers etc the colts are not a SB contender. Luck is no good if he cant get protection.

We shall see, I’m assuming that Luck will be 100% and between the draft and FAs, the Oline play will improve and on defense, they’ll find a pass rush. 

On 11/15/2017 at 12:35 PM, A8bil said:

I doubt Gore re-signs.  As dysfunctional as the 49ers were under Harbaugh and Balke, they understood the value of a great OL.  They had 1st round picks pretty much across the board, with guys like Staley, Iupati, Davis...they may have also been a one-dimensional offense, but that OL was physically dominant. I'm sure Gore misses at least having blockers who could physically dominate the man across the line from them.   

i concur

On 11/15/2017 at 12:18 PM, aaron11 said:

he has a dead cap hit of 3.5 million, the team is not just going to eat so he can go somewhere else

If Gore was released today there would not be a problem on the dead cap hit.

His contract is up at the end of this season.    The dead cap hit penalties are over for him. 

I don't think there is a concern anymore.

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Gore was released today there would not be a problem on the dead cap hit.

His contract is up at the end of this season.    The dead cap hit penalties are over for him. 

I don't think there is a concern anymore.

they were suggesting we should have done him a favor and released him in the offseason

im not a expert on cap hits, but i thought it would have mattered if the team had done that.  no one really knew that philly would be a contender or that luck would miss the season at that time either 

15 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they were suggesting we should have done him a favor and released him in the offseason

im not a expert on cap hits, but i thought it would have mattered if the team had done that.  no one really knew that philly would be a contender or that luck would miss the season at that time either 

Oh, sorry....

I thought your conversation was about if we released Gore now so he could sign with another team for their stretch run.

So yes,  you are correct...   if we had released him this past off-season it would've been a cap hit if $3.5 mil.

I love Gore...   but I'm not expecting him back.    Ballard wants us younger...   moving on from Gore will help that...

Sorry for my misunderstanding....

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh, sorry....

I thought your conversation was about if we released Gore now so he could sign with another team for their stretch run.

So yes,  you are correct...   if we had released him this past off-season it would've been a cap hit if $3.5 mil.

I love Gore...   but I'm not expecting him back.    Ballard wants us younger...   moving on from Gore will help that...

Sorry for my misunderstanding....

Gore didn't have any guaranteed money left on his deal this past offseason...just his base salary. So the Colts would have saved the full $3.5M if they released him.

And I wouldn't surprised if it was discussed...maybe even with Gore. And if Gore made it clear that he wanted a release, I am sure it would have been granted. But given his connection to Pagano, and the fact that he seems like a good dude, I don't think that's his style. Plus, if you are a 34 year-old RB and someone is willing to pay you $3.5M, you have to take it. 

37 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Gore didn't have any guaranteed money left on his deal this past offseason...just his base salary. So the Colts would have saved the full $3.5M if they released him.

And I wouldn't surprised if it was discussed...maybe even with Gore. And if Gore made it clear that he wanted a release, I am sure it would have been granted. But given his connection to Pagano, and the fact that he seems like a good dude, I don't think that's his style. Plus, if you are a 34 year-old RB and someone is willing to pay you $3.5M, you have to take it. 

Interesting....    to be honest, that's what I thought about Gore and the dead cap money...

But his spotrac page showed a 3.5 million cap hit if we had cut him prior to the season.    They're usually pretty good about such things, so I went with it.

Give me a few minutes and I'll link Gore's page to show you.   I'm tied up at the moment.

19 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Shasta.....

Here is Gore's Spotrac page.       Perhaps I'm not reading it right.     But to me,  it looks like it's saying there was a 3.5 Mill cap hit if we cut him before this year.

Check it out and tell me what you think.      Again,  I thought I read what you were saying.    That we could cut Gore without a financial hit.     But his page seems to imply otherwise....

Your thoughts?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/frank-gore-3338/

Definitely no, he is running this year like someone who wants to prove to his next suitor that he still has something in the tank, he came to Indy the year after we made the afccg thinking we were contenders, we have come down a very steep slope since than, my geuss is he would likely take less than we would offer to go to a team like Ne, Phi, Pit or even Kc

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Shasta.....

Here is Gore's Spotrac page.       Perhaps I'm not reading it right.     But to me,  it looks like it's saying there was a 3.5 Mill cap hit if we cut him before this year.

Check it out and tell me what you think.      Again,  I thought I read what you were saying.    That we could cut Gore without a financial hit.     But his page seems to imply otherwise....

Your thoughts?

If you look at his contract notes, it doesnt say anything about his 2017 numbers being guaranteed at signing, or about them being guaranteed as of a certain date (like the 5th day of the league yr or something like that). 

My assumption is that his full 2017 base salary shows as guaranteed now because he was on the roster as of week 1, and as a vested veteran has the option to take his entire seasons salary if we decided to cut him. 

Here is his contract page on OTC. 

https://overthecap.com/player/frank-gore/94/

While I usually prefer Sportrac for contract info (as its usually way better at staying up to date on bonuses and such), OTC does have one interesting feature that helps in this case. It lets you know cap savings had we cut him prior to June 1st, while Sportrac will only tell us what happens if we cut him today. Notice that the dead cap for a pre June 1st cut is $0, with a savings of $3.5M.

Hope that potentially clears things up. 

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

If you look at his contract notes, it doesnt say anything about his 2017 numbers being guaranteed at signing, or about them being guaranteed as of a certain date (like the 5th day of the league yr or something like that). 

My assumption is that his full 2017 base salary shows as guaranteed now because he was on the roster as of week 1, and as a vested veteran has the option to take his entire seasons salary if we decided to cut him. 

Here is his contract page on OTC. 

https://overthecap.com/player/frank-gore/94/

While I usually prefer Sportrac for contract info (as its usually way better at staying up to date on bonuses and such), OTC does have one interesting feature that helps in this case. It lets you know cap savings had we cut him prior to June 1st, while Sportrac will only tell us what happens if we cut him today. Notice that the dead cap for a pre June 1st cut is $0, with a savings of $3.5M.

Hope that potentially clears things up. 

This is correct.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Shasta.....

Your thoughts?

He's a vested veteran (more than 3.5 seasons in the NFL), so his base salary became guaranteed once he was on the roster after week 1. This is why it shows that he has a dead cap hit...because if the Colts cut him they would still have the cap hit. His original contract included $6.5M guaranteed, in the form of two roster bonuses that were paid out in 2015 and 2016.