Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Activate Clayton Geathers from PUP

Colt Overseas

http://m.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Activate-Safety-Clayton-Geathers-From-PUP/fd0576c1-06da-44b2-946b-44b3f54c51b7

This is good news! Hopefully we will be able to see Clayton get back to playing well this season and most importantly have a long and sucessful career here in Indy.

Big fan of his, thought he had an excellent 2nd year last year.

14 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

http://m.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Activate-Safety-Clayton-Geathers-From-PUP/fd0576c1-06da-44b2-946b-44b3f54c51b7

This is good news! Hopefully we will be able to see Clayton get back to playing well this season and most importantly have a long and sucessful career here in Indy.

Yes, a long and successful career hear and if he comes back this season that he's injury free. Because this season is a wash there's so no reason to go out and risk injury anyway this season.  

As much as i like this and LOVE Geathers as a player, this season is a write off and i believe he should be kept off the field until next season just like Andrew Luck, let the rookies and young guns play out the rest of the year. Geather is one bad injury away from never playing again.

5 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

As much as i like this and LOVE Geathers as a player, this season is a write off and i believe he should be kept off the field until next season just like Andrew Luck, let the rookies and young guns play out the rest of the year. Geather is one bad injury away from never playing again.

Every player that gets on the field is one serious injury from never playing again. If the player plays with that attitude he will never reach his potential.

You may think this season is a write off but the players playing for their jobs don't feel that way.

26 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I kind of agree with you there. Part of me wants to just see him play just to know if the guy still has a future playing football.  But another part of me wants him to sit out and ensure he’s healthy for next season. Because he’s sorely missed at SS.  But can Ballard afford to risk going into next season unsure on both starting safety positions???  CB sure has his work cut out for him this offseason...

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Every player that gets on the field is one serious injury from never playing again. If the player plays with that attitude he will never reach his potential.

You may think this season is a write off but the players playing for their jobs don't feel that way.

I agree to the bolded, especially.  This is why I never fully agree with conspiracy theories about teams tanking the season.  Yeah, the coaches may deliberately call bad plays, but how are you going to stop players from executing to win or to look good on tape?  Each player is playing for a spot for next year.

Is he actually going to play? 

Outside of the play that caused his neck injury; I don't really remember how he was performing. 

Hopefully he does actually come out and play. Everyone raves about him, but i just don't remember anything to special. I'm hoping he comes out and shows me what others have seen in him,. 

8 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I agree to the bolded, especially.  This is why I never fully agree with conspiracy theories about teams tanking the season.  Yeah, the coaches may deliberately call bad plays, but how are you going to stop players from executing to win or to look good on tape?  Each player is playing for a spot for next year.

I won't ever understand the tanking concept in football. You'd need 50 guys to be in on the plan and have a coach and GM that are okay with the possibility of getting fired.

In basketball with 5 players on the court I can absolutely believe it.

15 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Outside of the play that caused his neck injury; I don't really remember how he was performing. 

Hopefully he does actually come out and play. Everyone raves about him, but i just don't remember anything to special. I'm hoping he comes out and shows me what others have seen in him,. 

Maybe his biggest play was a couple years ago vs Atlanta. He came down and laid a BIG hit on Davonte Freeman (who was gashing us for huge chunks). Knocked him out the game and changed momentum...  We went on to win that game and his presence was announced. Definitely had a Bob Sanders feel to it...

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Maybe his biggest play was a couple years ago vs Atlanta. He came down and laid a BIG hit on Davonte Freeman (who was gashing us for huge chunks). Knocked him out the game and changed momentum...  We went on to win that game and his presence was announced. Definitely had a Bob Sanders feel to it...

I remember that. That's the same game that 52 Jackson had a pick 6 in their end zone right?

8 hours ago, Colt^2 said:

:cheer: 

Glad to hear that.  Since we released Josh Perry to open Geather's spot, I would think that bodes well for Simon being ready to roll as well.  

I think the colts released him because of John Simon... from what I hear he should be close to coming back.

13 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

That was on the second ATL drive when the game was still 0-0. I wouldn't say that changed the momentum of the game. Ryan actually threw a terrible INT on the very next play....and even that didn't change the momentum. The Colts still had to come back from 14-0 and 21-7 deficits later in the game.

But that was a crazy game. Walden forced a fumble on Coleman when the Colts were down 21-14. And then three plays later, Matt H. threw an INT. The Colts forced a punt, but then had to punt themselves. McAfee stuck that % on the 1-yard line. The very next play Ryan throws the pick 6 to DJax to tie it 21-21. Colts eventually kicked a FG late and got Ryan to throw a hail mary INT that was picked off by Fleener.

14 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

He played the run well, as well as short passes to TE and RBs. He was pretty good when the ball was in front of him. But he wasn't very good in actual pass coverage yet. Seemed like the perfect nickel ILB as well as a solid SS for the base defense.

I still will believe he plays when I see it. But I hope he comes back...and hope even more that he doesn't get hurt.

19 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I honestly wouldn't be mad if the Colts decided not to suit him up for the remainder of the season. i think that would be the smart move to make.

16 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Agree to a point, but if he healthy would like to see if hes ready to go to gauge if he can be counted on next year!

12 hours ago, shastamasta said:

That was on the second ATL drive when the game was still 0-0. I wouldn't say that changed the momentum of the game. Ryan actually threw a terrible INT on the very next play....and even that didn't change the momentum. The Colts still had to come back from 14-0 and 21-7 deficits later in the game.

But that was a crazy game. Walden forced a fumble on Coleman when the Colts were down 21-14. And then three plays later, Matt H. threw an INT. The Colts forced a punt, but then had to punt themselves. McAfee stuck that % on the 1-yard line. The very next play Ryan throws the pick 6 to DJax to tie it 21-21. Colts eventually kicked a FG late and got Ryan to throw a hail mary INT that was picked off by Fleener.

Good memory or research. Regardless, well done.  The reason I say it changed momentum is because though it was early (2nd drive for them), they figured out where to beat us.  And that was handing the ball off to Freeman.  Had Geathers not knocked him out of the game, I don’t think we win it.  They would have run it down our throats & killed us with play action the rest of the game. 

By knocking out their best weapon, it certainly changed up their gameplan. Coleman, a rookie that season I believe, wasn’t ready to carry the load that Freeman was for them and it showed. He was nowhere near as effective.  Knocking out Freeman “may” not have literally changed the momentum right then (I still think it did), it definitely improved our chances of winning that game. 

16 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Good memory or research. Regardless, well done.  The reason I say it changed momentum is because though it was early (2nd drive for them), they figured out where to beat us.  And that was handing the ball off to Freeman.  Had Geathers not knocked him out of the game, I don’t think we win it.  They would have run it down our throats & killed us with play action the rest of the game. 

By knocking out their best weapon, it certainly changed up their gameplan. Coleman, a rookie that season I believe, wasn’t ready to carry the load that Freeman was for them and it showed. He was nowhere near as effective.  Knocking out Freeman “may” not have literally changed the momentum right then (I still think it did), it definitely improved our chances of winning that game. 

I remembered most of the plays...just not the sequence...so I had to look it up. It was definitely one of those weird 2015 games that the Colts won that they probably shouldn't have (like the JAC game earlier in the season when the K missed two different game-winning FGs). 

On 11/14/2017 at 9:33 PM, Nesjan3 said:

i concur

On 11/14/2017 at 10:27 PM, Smoke317 said:

He had a big play against SD last year too. Forced a fumble that pretty much sealed the Colts win.

On 11/19/2017 at 2:46 PM, Dark Superman said:

Sit him and save him for next season.

Why play him in meaningless games?

This season is over for us.

To prevent him from getting a Years worth of rust and see how he plays with Farly and the other new secodary guys and to give him confidence that he’s back from his injury.  

On 11/14/2017 at 10:27 PM, Smoke317 said:

I was at that game.  I thought the Colts had zero shot of winning that one going in.  Boy was I wrong.  Hasselbeck put on the dink-and-dunk all star performance of the year.  I didn't know you could actually win a game in the flats.