Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If Jimmy brings Chuck Back in 18?

JColts72

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah but when those coaching polls or rankings come out Chuck doesn't usually end up at the bottom.   And I'm not shooting for him to return or anything.  Just saying

You talking about media polls? If so then yeah, I'm more talking about NFL/other teams fans perception. Was just referring to your point about criticism of most HC's coming from their own fans, whereas I think guys like Chuck get criticized by just about every fan.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I was referring to fans opinions. Reddit NFL is one of the better places to get a read on other team's fans.

Well for me I couldn't care less what other fans have to say.

All they are is fed the media horse dung that most of the media hounds feed them.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

You talking about media polls? If so then yeah, I'm more talking about NFL/other teams fans perception. Was just referring to your point about criticism of most HC's coming from their own fans, whereas I think guys like Chuck get criticized by just about every fan.

That's kind of a hard thing to get a true read on.   I haven't checked what every other teams fan thinks about Chuck.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Well for me I couldn't care less what other fans have to say.

All they are is fed the media horse dung that most of the media hounds feed them.

Sure, that's fair. I only got into the topic of that because krunk's post about HC perception by fans, just interesting.

3 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Oh boy, the PC police is out abort being offensive to a person name?! Give me a break. Have  a fit too if Chuck being called Chuckie or Chopawood too? probably. I could have said Jimmy Tweets instead.

I'm told by others that he is often called Jimmy.....I misunderstood your post. I sincerely apologize.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

That's kind of a hard thing to get a true read on.   I haven't checked what every other teams fan thinks about Chuck.

It's surprisingly not that hard to get a read on. Reddit NFL has over 600,000 users, and sure that's not the whole NFL fan population but it's a good sample size. Plenty of threads/discussions to wade through. There's an astonishing lack of support for Pagano there, like to the point that I can't even remember the last time I saw something good said about him.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I highly doubt fans of other teams really have a opinion of Pagano. They may make a comment over something said by the media but I doubt they really care one way of another.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

It's surprisingly not that hard to get a read on. Reddit NFL has over 500,000 users, and sure that's not the whole NFL fan population but it's a good sample size. Plenty of threads/discussions to wade through. There's an astonishing lack of support for Pagano there.

There's a lack of support for just about any coach that's losing games.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt fans of other teams really have a opinion of Pagano. They may make a comment over something said by the media but I doubt they really care one way of another.

I don't think you guys realize just how much fans of other teams pay attention to other teams these days.

1 hour ago, Hooksalot said:

They have a good OC because of Caldwell not despite him.  Both Caldwell and Jim Bob were both here.  I am pretty sure Caldwell brought him into Detroit and it was Caldwell who made him the OC.

Caldwell is still bad, his OC is good, but Caldwell makes the same mistakes Pagano does.  He cannot stand to have a big lead.  They both go conservative and screw everything up.

Make no mistake, Manning threw the interception that eventually lost the Superbowl, but Caldwell's lack of killer instinct is what lost that Superbowl.  You have Sean Payton and Drew Brees down at the end of the 1st half and instead of letting one of the top QBs of all time march down the field and score a FG or a TD, you run, run , run, punt.  That cost the Colts the Superbowl as it changed momentum and left the Colts with a 10-6 lead at half.  Instead of 17-3.

So 6 points is all NO could muster in one hallf, but somehow, after half time adjustments, they score 24 in the 2nd half.  Sound familiar?

Pagano does the exact same thing.  For some reason there is no killer instinct in Pagano.  The Colts ease off and teams come back and win in the 4th.  Happens all the time.

If Pagano comes back it will be a disaster, but I will still watch, I can't help myself, but it will not be because of him.  It will be simply because I have no choice.  The Colts are my team.

Don't forget that time out Jim called against the playoffs vs the Jets when they won by FG and kicking off to have their player get decent field position. before that. Yes, as long time fan, we are stuck with whoever the coaches are, but we can question such moves among ourselves.

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Don't forget that time out Jim called against the playoffs vs the Jets when they won by FG and kicking off to have their player get decent field position. before that.

So Belichick should have lost his job because he called a bad play when the Colts stopped them and went on to advance to the super bowl?  If you are going to nit pick every call a head coach makes there wouldn't be any head coaches left in the league. I have news for you. There is no such thing as a perfect head coach. If so only one would have all the rings.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

There's a lack of support for just about any coach that's losing games.

All I'm saying is he gets trashed way more than most coaches there any time he's brought up.

Like I'm no fan of Chuck but even I get defensive about the amount of vitriol he receives. Not that it matters or should affect your opinion, but that it's not just our fans who overly criticize Chuck.

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

To answer your question - if Pagano is brought back it meant that the team showed progress throughout the season.  That the team is trending up and they're on the right track to be a contender.

The coaching staff will be evaluated just like the players at the end of the season.  Did they do their job, do they have potential to get better, etc.

If that was the case (I'm not saying it is) then why wouldn't you bring back the coaching staff?

Foul!  Intelligent answers NOT allowed.

dont you know you are supposed to whine and name-call?

where u been?

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand that but who cares what other fans think?  In this world of so much media available it makes critics out of unqualified people.

Right. Things like the fake punt, and how much the media went crazy with it, definitely have swayed people's minds about Pagano. In fact, had that play never happened, I think a lot of fans' perception around the league would be different. Not that it matters.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

They most certainly do. The other 3 AFC South fanbases in particular would be ecstatic if the Colts gave Chuck a 5-year extension.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So Belichick should have lost his job because he called a bad play when the Colts stopped them and went on to advance to the super bowl?  If you are going to nit pick every call a head coach makes there wouldn't be any head coaches left in the league. I have news for you. There is no such thing as a perfect head coach. If so only one would have all the rings.

Nit pick? just pointing out the obvious. Yes, there is no perfect coaches, except the best would be NE Bill as much as pains me to say so. Even legends get canned; Shula from Baltimore, Landry, Allie Sherman after his power NY Giants of late 50s/early 60's, Webb from Colts and Jets and so on

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

We called him a lot worse than that. There was a "Fire Jim Caldwell" Facebook page that was up for like 2 years.

Don't forget Mr. Expression or the Man with a Thousand faces; which was actually one flat affect look all the time.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well they don't have a very good record against Pagano so what they think really don't matter.

Jags have won 3 of the last 4, one of which they hung 51 on us, and the most recent they shut us out at home. Houston has won the division the past 2 years. What happened back in '12, '13, & '14 doesn't really carry much weight now.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Jags have won 3 of the last 4, one of which they hung 51 on us, and the most recent they shut us out at home. Houston has won the division the past 2 years. What happened back in '12, '13, & '14 doesn't really carry much weight now.

12,13 & 14.....wasn’t Luck healthy then? Just sayin..,,

It's not surprising when the Colts don't have their starting QB is it?  All but a couple of wins by other teams in the AFC east wins have come when the Colts were no where near being a complete team.

So Belichick should have lost his job because he called a bad play when the Colts stopped them and went on to advance to the super bowl?

That was not a mistake.  That was an informed decision.  He said his choices were giving the ball back to Manning or trying to get the first down so they didn't have to give the ball back to Manning.  It simply didn't work. 

Pagano and Caldwell make stupid mistakes, don't call timeouts when they should, call them when they shouldn't.  And no.  One mistake does not equal a firing, but the same mistake time and time again, which both Pagano and Caldwell do, is a fireable offense. 

If a team loses the lead in the 4the quarter, and sometimes a multi touchdown lead, that is on the coach every single time.  If your team was good enough to get a 14 point lead, then they should be good enough to hold it. The problem is the Colts cannot hold a lead and that is a reflection on the head coach.  Argue all you want. 

I didn't want Pagano at all.  Ever.  I have been griping about him since day one.  Why?  Because NFL teams don't come across an Andrew Luck very often and when they do they should surround that type of talent with a top notch coaching squad and top notch players.

I have said it before and i will say it again.  Manning gets HOF GM,  HOF Head Coach, HOF WRs, HOF tackle (Tarik Glen??), HOF RB (Faulk, don't think James is HOF material), HOF Defensive end (Freeney), maybe HOF Offensive line coach (Mudd), maybe HOF OC (Tom Moore).  Also he got Jeff Saturday, Bob Sanders, and many others.

Luck gets rookie GM, rookie HC, rookie OC, bad DC, TY Hilton.  That's it.  I am telling you if Luck had what Manning had we may already have another Super Bowl.  he was that good.  Now, I am not sure, but my point is they screwed Luck over.  Period.  And Pagano is all that is left over from that garbage coaching staff Irsay put together.

Just now, coltsfeva said:

12,13 & 14.....wasn’t Luck healthy then? Just sayin..,,

He played last year too, threw 31 TDs to 13 INTs, and went for over 4,000 yards, possibly his best all-around season as a Colt, and we were really close to not having wins vs the Jags or the Texans. We needed a last second TD to best Jacksonville at home, otherwise it would've been 0-4 vs those 2 on the year.

He played last year too, threw 31 TDs to 13 INTs, and went for over 4,000 yards, possibly his best all-around season as a Colt, and we were really close to not having wins vs the Jags or the Texans. We needed a last second TD to best Jacksonville at home, otherwise it would've been 0-4 vs those 2 on the year.

So the Colts had a running game and a defense to match?  Look, All I am is saying at this point all the debating and arguing has been hashed out already. This thread is not about that. But it seems no matter what thread is started it is hi jacked by the bashing of Pagano. A person with a different point of view is pretty much attacked too.

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So the Colts had a running game and a defense to match?  Look, All I am is saying at this point all the debating and arguing has been hashed out already. This thread is not about that. But it seems no matter what thread is started it is hi jacked by the bashing of Pagano. A person with a different point of view is pretty much attacked too.

For the most part I'm just playing devil's advocate at this point, but I think we've seen peak Pagano already, and that was in 2014. The chances of keeping him beyond 2017 seems slim to none.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

For the most part I'm just playing devil's advocate at this point, but I think we've seen peak Pagano already, and that was in 2014. The chances of keeping him beyond 2017 seems slim to none.

You may be right. My point all along has been what I call cause and effect. There is a reason for everything Pagano has been through. Most of it out of his control. But being we are losing every move Pagano makes is put under a microscope and chastised. If we were winning most of those things would not be an issue. Just a different point of view.