Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sleeper RB now on my Radar....

So, Stanford played Washington this past weekend.....

While watching,  the analyst, himself a former college running back who knows the conference well,  called this guy,   the toughest RB to bring down in the conference from a standpoint of physicality.

But what really made my ears take note,  is that he called his running style....     "angry and vilolent." 

His name is Levon Coleman, and he's a senior.       He's 5'11" and 235.     He's the complimentary back to Miles Gaskin,  Washington's lead RB who is more of a scatback.

I don't see Coleman getting drafted in the 3rd or 4th round where I think we will take a RB.   

But....   if Ballard is concentrating on defense and still needs a RB in the 5th or 6th round,  this guy is a sleeper who might be a steal.

Here's his bio:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/550316/lavon-coleman

If he's not even the starter on his own team my guess is that at best he'd be able to play Robert Turbin's role of being the short yardage back. 

That's not to say that he's useless.  But the backup on a college team turning into a starter in the NFL is fairly rare.

21 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

If he's not even the starter on his own team my guess is that at best he'd be able to play Robert Turbin's role of being the short yardage back. 

That's not to say that he's useless.  But the backup on a college team turning into a starter in the NFL is fairly rare.

It depends in the college team...   so for example a few years ago Miami took Alabama's backup in the third round..

And next draft, Georgia has a very good backup to Nick Chubb,..his name is Sony Michel.    I'm guessing he will go in the fourth of fifth round...   maybe to a team like the Colts.

If you're stuck behind a better player in college it doesn't mean you're not good...   it just means the other guy is better..

You're right....   it doesn't happen often...  but it DOES happen...  and I think it could happen with Coleman...

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And next draft, Georgia has a very good backup to Nick Chubb,..his name is Sony Michel.    I'm guessing he will go in the fourth of fifth round...   maybe to a team like the Colts.

And they have another one that might be better than both Chubb and Michel. He's a freshman and has a very appropriate name -  Swift:

About Coleman. I've seen him and he seems like a powerful runner but isn't he more of a straight line runner? 

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

And they have another one that might be better than both Chubb and Michel. He's a freshman and has a very appropriate name -  Swift:

About Coleman. I've seen him and he seems like a powerful runner but isn't he more of a straight line runner? 

I'm not sure if he's straight line or not.      Too early for me to have done much home work.     Straight line would hold little, if any, interest for me.

I only heard the comments from the analyst who himself is a former running back for USC....

And he called Coleman "an angry and violent runner and physically speaking,  the hardest runner in the conference to tackle."      I think on balance, Bryce Love is harder to tackle,  but he's talking from a physicality stand-point,  not from an elusive standpoint.

So Coleman might be more LaGarrett Blunt than anything else.      I'll start homework likely in December and January.....     I'm very hopeful we take another RB in this upcoming draft class.     It's another very strong class and someone has to replace Gore.       I like Turbin situationally,   but not to replace Gore full-time.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It depends in the college team...   so for example a few years ago Miami took Alabama's backup in the third round..

If you're stuck behind a better player in college it doesn't mean you're not good...   it just means the other guy is better..

You're right....   it doesn't happen often...  but it DOES happen...  and I think it could happen with Coleman...

Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine are another good example. Both should be starting for their respective NFL teams this week.