Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Kelly

ColtsBlitz

I didn't see the game, but I'm glad to hear he's coming around to being a beast again. I expected that he'd start off a bit slow after coming off foot surgery, and he has the misfortune of playing between a weak combination of guards. Hopefully he keeps the positive momentum rolling. 

13 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I didn't see the game, but I'm glad to hear he's coming around to being a beast again.

Don't worry, he will be injured again. We're the Indianapolis IR. We're all about giving 2nd stringers their opportunities.

One of the things i caught was when Kalis had that penalty.  Kalis,a rookie, was visibly bothered, talking to himself and shaking his head.

Kelly, without words, gave him a look that,to me, said "wake the *beep* up rook" and at the same time said "forget it and move on".

Kelly seems mature for his age and experience.  He seems detrrmined and no nonsense. I think we have a good one here.

i'd be watching that alabama OL for draftees every year.  They come in prepared and accountable.

53 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Ideally we’d resign Mewhort and make Castanzo take a pay cut and play RT.  Draft another guard and a stud LT. 

Our cap looks good.

so at some point we'll have to list and compare  LT,RT,G,MLB,and edge rush players avaiable in draft and free agency.  These,i think, are our primary needs. You can add wr but i think we can find someone to replace moncriefs #s if he isnt retained.

we need to look at expected 1st/2nd /3rd etc round players versus FA availability and possible $ (cost).

The puzzle pieces are out there, its just where yo spend the FA money and where draft pick and round makes sense.  All the while trying to balance BPA so you arent reaching.

I'm excited because " Ballards boys" are making plays.  Even some we were writing off are coming along the last few weeks.

woods,hankins,sheard,simon,desir, hunt, etc.  bostic and mingo gave come on the last couple weeks.

and i think our OL looked better on paper and camp than we've seen in games. But dont 4get the injuries (mewhort,good,kelly) the OL has suffered. Ballard addressed DL and backend strongly and we just held arguably the best RB and WR in the league to less than usual numbers.  I am confident he'll "fix" the OL and fill in the other gaps this offseason. 

12 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Ideally we’d resign Mewhort and make Castanzo take a pay cut and play RT.  Draft another guard and a stud LT. 

Why would Castonzo take a pay cut and move position when he has been our best performer on the line this year (it would be Kelly if he had been in all year)?

You can't just move to RT after being LT for years and I wouldn't want him to.  He gets a ton of abuse but has been a solid piece on the QB blind side aside from some poor play near the end of the Cardinals game.

I think Kalis is alright.  Just needs to clean up the penalties.

He's kind of gritty to me.  Better than what we are used to at

that spot.  Now we just need to get that Vujo outta there.  I'm

tired of seeing him put on skates and rocked back into the QBs

lap. Think we need to put Good at that spot. 

At least he's got enough strength not to get manhandled on every play.  Or maybe move Haeg there I guess.  This is all for the rest of this year of course.  I know we are going to bring in some more linemen next year.

2 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Why would Castonzo take a pay cut and move position when he has been our best performer on the line this year (it would be Kelly if he had been in al year)?

You can't just move to RT after being LT for years and I wouldn't want him to.  He gets a ton of abuse but has been a solid piece on the QB blind side aside from some poor play near the end of the Cardinals game.

It’s actually easier to play the right side of the line and I’ve heard multiple experts say he’d be better at RT.  Would he take a pay cut, probably not but he’s been pretty awful until the last two games.  He’s to inconsistent to play LT.

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

At least he's got enough strength not to get manhandled on every play.  Or maybe move Haeg there I guess.  This is all for the rest of this year of course.  I know we are going to bring in some more linemen next year.

After seeing Goode yesterday I want him nowhere on the line.  He came in for two drives at RG and gave I’m 2 sacks and 2 runs for loss.  He’s a seventh round pick that we need to give up on.

1 minute ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

After seeing Goode yesterday I want him nowhere on the line.  He came in for two drives at RG and gave I’m 2 sacks and 2 runs for loss.  He’s a seventh round pick that we need to give up on.

Guys been gone for months.  Out of sync with the communication I'm sure.

Doubt both were on him.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Guys been gone for months.  Out of sync with the communication I'm sure.

Doubt both were on him.

I was specifically watching him on those plays and he was blown up both times.  Still he’s never been very good.  An occasional back up in an emergency but not a starter and not someone I want on the team.  I agree I don’t like Vujo but, until Mewhort comes back I think it’s the best we’ve got. 

2 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I was specifically watching him on those plays and he was blown up both times.  Still he’s never been very good.  An occasional back up in an emergency but not a starter and not someone I want on the team.  I agree I don’t like Vujo but, until Mewhort comes back I think it’s the best we’ve got. 

Whatever the case I'm strictly speaking about what we have on the team right now.

New linemen need to be bought in yes.  As for this season we got to role with the guys we got.    We've seen better play out of him.

9 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

It’s actually easier to play the right side of the line and I’ve heard multiple experts say he’d be better at RT.  Would he take a pay cut, probably not but he’s been pretty awful until the last two games.  He’s to inconsistent to play LT.

Do you have a link to these experts saying that?  Not trying to be snarky, but I have honestly not heard anyone say that.

Again, I think you are being harsh.  Having had a quick look on PFF they have him graded as the #10 tackle for his position with a grade of 80.2.  Far from awful.

7 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Do you have a link to these experts saying that?  Not trying to be snarky, but I have honestly not heard anyone say that.

Again, I think you are being harsh.  Having had a quick look on PFF they have him graded as the #10 tackle for his position with a grade of 80.2.  Far from awful.

the problem with Castanzo is that his play is up/down.  He'll have 1 good game, then go back to 1- 2 crappy games where he misses blocks or gets manhandled.

17 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

This is completely false, and might have been "talked about" like 20 years ago.  Many teams have one or two solid rushers, so you need 2 solid Tackles.  Some teams, like the Broncos, have Von Miller coming off that side as well to test the RT.  This has little to no ground under it and is a terrible claim.  

Now watching a LT, who has never played RT, how do these "experts" claim he would be better there?  So many fans want to discredit AC, but the fact is he is not that bad at all.  He is the best guy we have on the line and has not been that bad this year either.  He has made some mistakes but having Vuj next to him, I can understand why.

9 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

My Ideal O-Line scenario is to sign Justin Pugh at LG, draft Quentin Nelson at RG then you have a rock solid interior for years to come. Just need to find a legit RT in the future.

Instead of Nelson (who is the 2nd best player in this draft IMO) you could get McGlinchey round 1 and Will Hernandez round 2. You get an immediate starter at RT and still get a very good guard. Plus McGlinchey is the LT of the future.

11 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Mewhort has some serious knee issues and probably will have to sign a 1 year deal with incentives. When this happens , it's more likely he will just look at a bunch of offers and will just tae the best deal for a year. IMO... a long shot to be a Colt in 2018.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Instead of Nelson (who is the 2nd best player in this draft IMO) you could get McGlinchey round 1 and Will Hernandez round 2. You get an immediate starter at RT and still get a very good guard. Plus McGlinchey is the LT of the future.

True, but im not sold on McGlinchy like I am Nelson. I do like Hernandez though.

8 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

True, but im not sold on McGlinchy like I am Nelson. I do like Hernandez though.

May not be popular, but i would draft Nelson in round 1 and then Hernandez in round 2... an interior of Nelson/Kelly/Hernandez  would be solid for the next 10 years...would likely make AC look better at LT and Haeg look better at RT, also... and if not, we would likely have money in a better free agency year to look at a new LT if we havent found the answer by then.

Having a solid 3 guys in the middle will open up the running game big time and also allow enough push for Andrew to step up on the pocket and make throws... this is basically how the Pats line works (strong in the middle and helps the guys on the end) and throw in a more timing based/quick throw offense scheme and it would make a world of difference.

Peyton worked with an O-Line that stunk, after the '06 Super Bowl, but with our quick throw/timing offense, it covered up for it...same thing when he was in Denver (no LT or RT, but good middle line).

Draft these guys for the oline and then spend our money on proven difference makers on D  in free agency, add a new coaching staff and new offense and a healthy Luck, and it will make a HUGE difference.

While this whole "the sky is falling" thing with Andrew is annoying, im not buying into it, as i lived through the same thing with Peyton... "he will never play again...he's done" and then once he started lighting up other teams again, those same people reported that "his neck is stronger than someone who hasnt had the same thing done before " etc

But, this is just my opinion

11 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

May not be popular, but i would draft Nelson in round 1 and then Hernandez in round 2... an interior of Nelson/Kelly/Hernandez  would be solid for the next 10 years...would likely make AC look better at LT and Haeg look better at RT, also... and if not, we would likely have money in a better free agency year to look at a new LT if we havent found the answer by then.

Having a solid 3 guys in the middle will open up the running game big time and also allow enough push for Andrew to step up on the pocket and make throws... this is basically how the Pats line works (strong in the middle and helps the guys on the end) and throw in a more timing based/quick throw offense scheme and it would make a world of difference.

Peyton worked with an O-Line that stunk, after the '06 Super Bowl, but with our quick throw/timing offense, it covered up for it...same thing when he was in Denver (no LT or RT, but good middle line).

Draft these guys for the oline and then spend our money on proven difference makers on D  in free agency, add a new coaching staff and new offense and a healthy Luck, and it will make a HUGE difference.

While this whole "the sky is falling" thing with Andrew is annoying, im not buying into it, as i lived through the same thing with Peyton... "he will never play again...he's done" and then once he started lighting up other teams again, those same people reported that "his neck is stronger than someone who hasnt had the same thing done before " etc

But, this is just my opinion

Wouldn't be against it if pass rush is fixed in FA. I'm just more of a proponent of a sign one, draft one approach. Signing a young proven veteran like Pugh would add leadership so that you aren't starting two rookies on the line and then it also frees you up to use your second pick on a defensive player. Just my two cents. 

3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Wouldn't be against it if pass rush is fixed in FA. I'm just more of a proponent of a sign one, draft one approach. Signing a young proven veteran like Pugh would add leadership so that you aren't starting two rookies on the line and then it also frees you up to use your second pick on a defensive player. Just my two cents. 

I would be fine with that also...but feel these two guards could both be better than Pugh... but as long as our FA spending is on young difference makers, I'm good with it!

10 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Good gave up 0 sacks, and no loss on any runs. Everything said here is wrong

Good slipped on one play and Brissett went down, but defensive holding negated that play. The other play that looked like he gave up a sack was on Haeg. Haeg got tossed to the outside, so Good who had handled his block perfectly released his man and attempted to block Haeg's free runner before he mauled Brissett.

Haeg on the other hand did gave up multiple sacks, and was beaten on multiple run plays.

10 hours ago, krunk said:

I agree, we need Good back to 100% asap.

You're being extra tough on Vujnovich in a way though. It was Heyward and Tuitt that he faced one-on-one a bunch of times. They'd have eaten Haeg alive.

Draft Nelson in the 1st and Hernandez in the 2nd.  Put them on each side of Kelly and pound the rock all day.  Lol, Luck will never have to take a 5 or 7 stop drop again.  The Chargers did that last year with Feeney and Lamp and Feeney is the best guard this year per PFF.  Get a RB and ILB in 3rd and 4th.  Maybe bring in a FA CB and WR and try to keep as many of the good guys that we can on defense and we should be competitive again.  I think Bostic has been playing well the last two games.

1 hour ago, Douzer said:

I agree, we need Good back to 100% asap.

You're being extra tough on Vujnovich in a way though. It was Heyward and Tuitt that he faced one-on-one a bunch of times. They'd have eaten Haeg alive.

You know Vujo has been on skates a multiplicity of times this year. Just not strong enough and not a tactician either

15 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

This is completely false, and might have been "talked about" like 20 years ago.  Many teams have one or two solid rushers, so you need 2 solid Tackles.  Some teams, like the Broncos, have Von Miller coming off that side as well to test the RT.  This has little to no ground under it and is a terrible claim.  

Now watching a LT, who has never played RT, how do these "experts" claim he would be better there?  So many fans want to discredit AC, but the fact is he is not that bad at all.  He is the best guy we have on the line and has not been that bad this year either.  He has made some mistakes but having Vuj next to him, I can understand why.

I think the notion that RT is easier comes from the fact that the quarterback can see if the guy misses his block or he needs to step up in the pocket bc the RT is driving the guy up the field. LT is protecting the blindside so if he misses his block then the quarterback will get crushed.

22 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

PFF is a load of crap. Their ratings mean nothing.  Castanzo consistently gives up pressure.