LucasOilStadium

Colts Vs. Steelers Game Day Thread

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, ColtsGermany said:

Are you sure?! 

You're right. He may have a second half meltdown during the bye week too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At times I feel bad for Chuck. If he had a young dynamic OC, it could cover up many of his shortcomings...  Then I remember he chose Chud so the buck stops with him.  We have never been able to consistently get a full 60 minute effort from Chuck’s teams. We still have no identity. Great effort by our D today though. They played hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

You're right. He may have a second half meltdown during the bye week too.

Either that or some other major player will get injured. Seems to always go bad

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can’t trust your team to at least “try” to get points, well, just get rid of the loser staff.  These are pros paid millions. I cannot advocate EVER playing scared, but that is EXACTLY what happened.  Others disagree with my take on coaching philosophy.  I will hold retrospective results to my favor.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same crap that cost us practically every game - pick 6s or turnovers on our side of the field.

 

Defense played well, but it doesn't matter how well the surrounding team plays, you still need a QB who take over games and make drives in the 4th quarter.  Don't think Brissett is that guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #12. said:

Same crap that cost us practically every game - pick 6s or turnovers on our side of the field.

 

Defense played well, but it doesn't matter how well the surrounding team plays, you still need a QB who take over games and make drives in the 4th quarter.  Don't think Brissett is that guy.

He never had a training camp here.  I wouldn't be so harsh on the guy, he's basically a rook in a new system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Same crap that cost us practically every game - pick 6s or turnovers on our side of the field.

 

Defense played well, but it doesn't matter how well the surrounding team plays, you still need a QB who take over games and make drives in the 4th quarter.  Don't think Brissett is that guy.

Or a defense, that when the chips are down and all is on the line, can make a stop!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Secondary and D in general playing much better without Vontae.  Cutting down on big plays.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

He never had a training camp here.  I wouldn't be so harsh on the guy, he's basically a rook in a new system.

 

He's a solid backup.  I'm not building a team around him, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Couple weeks ago we were on the 10 going in with 15 seconds to go and we let the clock run down and kicked the field goal...  Doesn’t get more scared than that.

 

I agree with you on that one, but there is a difference between being on the opponent's 10 with 15 left and being on your own 25 with 30 left.  I'm not trying to defend Pagano, but I'm also not going to blast him when I agree with him just because I don't like him.  I don't trust Brissett in that situation, either.  As much as I defend him, he does have a penchant for inopportune turnovers.  If we still had a Manning or Luck offense, then yeah, I would say take a shot at points before the half.  But with the offense that we have now, though, they are more likely to do something that hurts our team than helps our team in that situation.  Obviously, there is no clear-cut right answer to this one.  It is a matter of opinion.  We have different opinions, and that is fine.  I'm much more irritated by yet another second-half collapse than I am with what happened in the 30 seconds prior to halftime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, #12. said:

 

He's a solid backup.  I'm not building a team around him, though.

Too early to tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Doyle " hands of stone " And I'm  being nice about it , interception how is it not taunting with 10 players with an orchestrated celebration in end zone. Seems similar to M. Lee's penalty in Jax game. Help me out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #12. said:

 

He's a solid backup.  I'm not building a team around him, though.

 

Agreed, he's a solid backup.  This talk in other threads of him being the future if Luck can't come back frightens me, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Same crap that cost us practically every game - pick 6s or turnovers on our side of the field.

 

Defense played well, but it doesn't matter how well the surrounding team plays, you still need a QB who take over games and make drives in the 4th quarter.  Don't think Brissett is that guy.

Brissett wasnt the problem.  Pressure was.

did you watch the game?

the two penalties by Green changed the game.  1st one got their offense off the goal line (leaped on pile) and 2nd pinned us deep (punt return)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, #12. said:

 

He's a solid backup.  I'm not building a team around him, though.

Well, uh,  that IS what he is.

so whats the problem?

kid looked good and played tough.  A top tier defense pressured him all day.  The steelers do this every week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JCPatriot said:

 

Agreed, he's a solid backup.  This talk in other threads of him being the future if Luck can't come back frightens me, though.

I dunno if it's a matter of him being a savior as much as it is about using a pick (via trade or draft) to get another QB.  If Luck can't go then I trust JB will be a suitable substitute until we're in a position to get a better QB.  This team has too many holes up front to waste on an average QB.  Fix the O before we get a QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Brissett wasnt the problem.  Pressure was.

 

It seemed like they got away from the run game in the second half, which had been successful in the first half and had helped set up the passing game.  I don't know if the statistics back that up, but it sure felt like that in the heat of the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MB-ColtsFan said:

I dunno if it's a matter of him being a savior as much as it is about using a pick (via trade or draft) to get another QB.  If Luck can't go then I trust JB will be a suitable substitute until we're in a position to get a better QB.  This team has too many holes up front to waste on an average QB.  Fix the O before we get a QB.

 

I'm fine with him being a stopgap until we can get a long-term QB.  I wouldn't mind going a full year with him if they decide to build other areas of the team first.  He is not the long-term QB, though.  At least I hope he's not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Brissett wasnt the problem.  Pressure was.

did you watch the game?

the two penalties by Green changed the game.  1st one got their offense off the goal line (leaped on pile) and 2nd pinned us deep (punt return)

I agree that pressure was a problem on O. It was painful to watch, though, that it being the Steelers, a team that is always about bringing pressure, but the offense didn’t seem capable of adjust with quick plays to exploit all of the  inevitable blitzes.  The Doyle interception play, good call, poor execution by Doyle with a bad release and drop and by Brissett for lacking touch and having better ball placement. 

 

There was another play, a decent quick hitting slant, but Brissett three the ball behind Chester Rodgers, taking him out of stride and eliminating the possibility for the catch and run for the 1st down. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JCPatriot said:

 

I'm fine with him being a stopgap until we can get a long-term QB.  I wouldn't mind going a full year with him if they decide to build other areas of the team first.  He is not the long-term QB, though.  At least I hope he's not.

Just to add some perspective; he never had a training camp here.  This is only his first year in this system, with what I consider a bad 2nd half OC.  I *think* he has plenty of room to grow.  I agree that I wouldn't mind going another year with him if AL can't go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, boogmanningluck said:

On the Doyle " hands of stone " And I'm  being nice about it , interception how is it not taunting with 10 players with an orchestrated celebration in end zone. Seems similar to M. Lee's penalty in Jax game. Help me out.

Didn’t get that either. I thought those celebrations were reserved for TD’s???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JCPatriot said:

 

I'm fine with him being a stopgap until we can get a long-term QB.  I wouldn't mind going a full year with him if they decide to build other areas of the team first.  He is not the long-term QB, though.  At least I hope he's not.

I agree with all your points and think its the best short-term plan.  the long-term answer (Luck,brissett,other) should work itself  out by camp (hopefully). But it wouldnt surprise me if he developed into a competent starter. I'd start him over at least a handful of current starters in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Just to add some perspective; he never had a training camp here.  This is only his first year in this system, with what I consider a bad 2nd half OC.  I *think* he has plenty of room to grow.  I agree that I wouldn't mind going another year with him if AL can't go.

And given all that, Brissett is already playing at, or above, the level of the average NFL backup QB. 4 and 7 in his first 11 NFL starts. That's actually pretty respectable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I agree with all your points and think its the best short-term plan.  the long-term answer (Luck,brissett,other) should work itself  out by camp (hopefully). But it wouldnt surprise me if he developed into a competent starter. I'd start him over at least a handful of current starters in the league.

 

I don't think he's starter material.  I agree that I would take him over a handful of current starters in the league, but that is more because I don't think that those starters deserve to be starters.  With that said, that is just my opinion and I would have no problem with being wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Bye week. At least Pagano can't get outcoached by the bye week.

 

3 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

Are you sure?! 

 

Bye week is undefeated...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.