Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballards Potentially toughest off season decision

Crunked

No one is really talking about this, with all that's going on now. But after listening/watching Ballards 3 interviews this past week I was struck by what will be one of Ballard's toughest decisions this coming off season. Brisset will have a full season under his young belt at season's end and unless the wheels fall off completely or a catastrophic injury occurs the Colts may be blessed with what many in the league will view as a viable starting QB. The Colts have the ability to move that asset for some substantial draft picks and I think if Luck is back/ Healthy/ Not diminished in any way the temptation is great if you are Ballard to cash in on that asset. However we all know Luck is in Europe getting some stem cell therapy or who knows what, we are all exercising "patience" for the never ending process of his healing shoulder. What if.........what if Lucks status still isn't 100% when that day on the calendar rolls around? Ballard will be faced with, "Have faith Luck will be there cash in the Brisset chips this team needs as many good draft picks as possible". Or "sit tight" we may need this dude in 18. Either way there is a lot of potential for second guessing whichever path we go down. I think if its not crystal clear, this will be a pivotal point in Ballards young GM tenure by which he will be judged. What do you think?

14 minutes ago, crunked said:

...The Colts have the ability to move that asset for some substantial draft picks

IMO I doubt he will be worth substantial draft picks, which makes it easy to keep him as a valuable backup who can start and win games for us in 2018.

To date, Brissett hasn't done enough to bring much in a trade.  He looks like a solid backup/borderline starter, possibly (in the right situation). I'm not sure he's someone you build a team around.

If anything, instead of Ballard trading Brissett, I could see him adding another QB in the draft - 3rd or 4th round - even if Luck is ready.  With Luck's injury history, bring in another QB to develop and compete with Brissett.  Ballard was looking at QBs just last week.

After today, this team will be 3-7 with a good number of those losses coming courtesy of Brissett turnovers.  The three wins came against two winless teams and the Watson-Watt-Mercilus-less Texans.  If someone believes Brissett would be a hot prospect based on this track record, I'm not sure what they are watching.  Under the circumstances, for a backup, he's done well, but it's a classic case of fans massively overrating one of their own players.  Were he performing at the same level on another team, he wouldn't even be on your radar, and he's likely not on the radar of many teams searching for a starting QB.

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

After today, this team will be 3-7 with a good number of those losses coming courtesy of Brissett turnovers.  The three wins came against two winless teams and the Watson-Watt-Mercilus-less Texans.  If someone believes Brissett would be a hot prospect based on the track record, I'm not sure what they are watching.  Under the circumstances, for a backup, he's done well, but it's a classic case of fans massively overrating one of their own players.  Were he performing at the same level on another team, he wouldn't even be on your radar, and he's likely not on the radar of many teams searching for a starting QB.

OK, lets put it this way - if the Browns were ready to give up a second and a third for AJ McCarron, what do you think Brissett is worth? 

Ballard stated clearly at the time of the trade that Brissett was acquired for the "long term". That was when Luck was expected back as good as new. Now, with Luck's future even more uncertain, and Brissett showing much promise with a very cheap contract, I don't see the Colts even thinking about trading him, and they shouldn't.  

The Colts should not assume that Luck will be 100% and stay that way all year. Luck's throwing arm has not been 100% healthy for 2 years now. Look at Davis and Mehwort. Neither could play at their usual high level and stay healthy after their injuries.

The tougher question for Ballard should be: Will the Colts carry a 3rd QB on the 53, and who will it be? 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

OK, lets put it this way - if the Browns were ready to give up a second and a third for AJ McCarron, what do you think Brissett is worth? 

That’s the Browns though. They’re not known for making wise decisions. The better question is if Garropolo went for a 2nd, why would Jacoby go for more than that? His performance means he’s worth a 3rd at most.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s the Browns though. They’re not known for making wise decisions. The better question is if Garropolo went for a 2nd, why would Jacoby go for more than that? His performance means he’s worth a 3rd at most.

Well there is a difference between a second and a second. I suspect the second they were trying to trade was not the 33d pick, but rather one of their later picks. Still, you know that all it takes is one team to be in love with the player. IMO Brissett has shown a lot in his sting with the Colts so far. One can argue he's shown traits that are better than Garropolo has shown. Lets see how he plays in a situation very similar to what Brissett has been put in(barren roster with severe lack of talent). I wonder when the 49ers will be willing to put him on the field. With that said - a reminder that Brissett came and played 5 practices after he was traded to us. IMO he's done a very commendable job given the circumstances. 

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

For numerous reasons, it's a completely different situation.  For starters, it's the Browns and they are listening Hue Jackson who coached McCarron in Cincinnati.  Apparently Jackson thinks McCarron has great potential and they believed him.  Also, in a way, in that situation, it's better to have a smaller sample size.  People are more ready to believe in potential when you only come in for a few games and play admirably in a playoff game, as McCarron did, than they are in watching Brissett struggle for an entire season.

I wouldn't bank on Brissett bringing a 2nd and 3rd, though, even if Chud or his college coach get an NFL head coaching gig next season.

1 hour ago, crunked said:

Desperate teams will take desperate measures.... I think Brissetts value may be greater than you think to the right team at the right time.......

his value is high to us

its far from a given that luck will come back and stay healthy for the rest of brissets contract.  if that does happen we can trade him near the end

Whether to keep Brissett hardly rates as Ballard’s toughest decision (and they surely will keep him). The toughest decision will come next Spring when he decides on drafting a qb in first or second round. We have tons of holes but this looks like a rich qb draft and we will have a high enough pick to get one. Fortunately Ballard has six months to follow Luck’s progress before making that decision.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

After today, this team will be 3-7 with a good number of those losses coming courtesy of Brissett turnovers.  The three wins came against two winless teams and the Watson-Watt-Mercilus-less Texans.  If someone believes Brissett would be a hot prospect based on this track record, I'm not sure what they are watching.  Under the circumstances, for a backup, he's done well, but it's a classic case of fans massively overrating one of their own players.  Were he performing at the same level on another team, he wouldn't even be on your radar, and he's likely not on the radar of many teams searching for a starting QB.

lmao  We should have dumped Manning after his 1st year. 
  Not a great arm.   3-13    28 Int. Maybe a good backup.

Considering who he is playing with, and his just walking in and playing with good wisdom and showing an excellent arm, the guy Absolutely Looks like a guy that can WIN in the NFL. Ya, his wins are against pathetic teams, just like the ones LUCKY was able to come from behind in the 4th Q to Win against to compile his 11-5 seasons.
 The question Always is, can a guy make NFL throws. Brissett has it.
 The guy is on the Radar of NFL people, that is what matters. Hopefully for us he can stay healthy and finish this season.

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

The plan was always pickup a backup in the later rounds. Again Colts fans remain optimistic about Andrew. I was worried yesterday, but we’re assured that his injury isn’t career ending. 

Finding our back up QBs in the later rounds of the draft hasn't worked out very well for us in the past.  Might be time to try another approach.  Take one earlier or hold on to the one we traded for.

4 hours ago, crunked said:

No one is really talking about this, with all that's going on now. But after listening/watching Ballards 3 interviews this past week I was struck by what will be one of Ballard's toughest decisions this coming off season. Brisset will have a full season under his young belt at season's end and unless the wheels fall off completely or a catastrophic injury occurs the Colts may be blessed with what many in the league will view as a viable starting QB. The Colts have the ability to move that asset for some substantial draft picks and I think if Luck is back/ Healthy/ Not diminished in any way the temptation is great if you are Ballard to cash in on that asset. However we all know Luck is in Europe getting some stem cell therapy or who knows what, we are all exercising "patience" for the never ending process of his healing shoulder. What if.........what if Lucks status still isn't 100% when that day on the calendar rolls around? Ballard will be faced with, "Have faith Luck will be there cash in the Brisset chips this team needs as many good draft picks as possible". Or "sit tight" we may need this dude in 18. Either way there is a lot of potential for second guessing whichever path we go down. I think if its not crystal clear, this will be a pivotal point in Ballards young GM tenure by which he will be judged. What do you think?

No.

we got a little lucky the way we got him.  We got him for a guy who wasnt playing and would not be on the team next year.  Real value there and Brissett is locked in cheap for a couple years.  

He is looking promising, and with the uncertainty to Luck, do you wanna go back to Tolzien?  Or perhaps pay big $ for a "known" player or backup who wont outplay Brissett?

his value to us, especially now, FAR outweighs the trade or draft pick value we'd get from another team.

keep the kid.  He looks better and better every week.  And while i'm choosing to be optimistic #12 will be back, there is that chance Brissett could be behind center starting next season.  If that were to happen tho, i cant think of annavailable QB I would want more than what i've seen from Brissett. Especially considering he's still really learning the offense.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Great post.    Perfectly stated.     The Browns were prepared to give up more for McCarron than the 49ers paid to acquire

Garoppolo.    Bizarre.    Very Browns-like.

I'd guess Brissett is currently worth no more than a 3 and more likely a 4.. could that change over the remainder of the season?    Sure...   but I wouldn't think by much.

7 hours ago, azcolt said:

Whether to keep Brissett hardly rates as Ballard’s toughest decision (and they surely will keep him). The toughest decision will come next Spring when he decides on drafting a qb in first or second round. We have tons of holes but this looks like a rich qb draft and we will have a high enough pick to get one. Fortunately Ballard has six months to follow Luck’s progress before making that decision.

i concur, imo luck will never play again, possible nerve damage from the surgery

9 hours ago, #12. said:

To date, Brissett hasn't done enough to bring much in a trade.  He looks like a solid backup/borderline starter, possibly (in the right situation). I'm not sure he's someone you build a team around.

If anything, instead of Ballard trading Brissett, I could see him adding another QB in the draft - 3rd or 4th round - even if Luck is ready.  With Luck's injury history, bring in another QB to develop and compete with Brissett.  Ballard was looking at QBs just last week.

I don't think we waste a draft pick on a QB if Luck is healthy. I think Brissett is more than acquaint backup and is young.  

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Great post.    Perfectly stated.     The Browns were prepared to give up more for McCarron than the 49ers paid to acquire

Garoppolo.    Bizarre.    Very Browns-like.

I'd guess Brissett is currently worth no more than a 3 and more likely a 4.. could that change over the remainder of the season?    Sure...   but I wouldn't think by much.

Garoppolo is an unrestricted free agent after this season. That lowers his trade value considerably. Whoever traded for him would either have to sign him in the offseason or franchise tag him, which are both expensive options. 

McCarron is a restricted free agent after this season so a team trading for him would have more control over his future. 

That's how it was explained to me and I think that makes sense. IMO Jacoby Brissett has shown more promise than either of those guys and is worth a 2nd no question. 

IMO.

- We need another WR threat alongside Hilton.

- Marlon Mack will be our starting RB in 2018. But who will play behind him?

- Build a respectable Offensive Line.

- Keep bringing in more defensive talent.

- Coaching changes

- We need to hit a few home runs in next years NFL Draft.

- Walk into Free Agency aggressive. If we need to spend a little bit more to land someone who could make this team better from Day 1. Do it.

Jacoby Brissett has NOT shown more than Jimmy G.     No where near close.

McCarron you can debate.   

But JG is the most valuable of the three by far.     The football world was pretty stunned that Cleveland would offer a 2 and a 3 for AJM.    He hasn't shown that much.     Note there no talk of another team in the bidding...

3 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

IMO.

- We need another WR threat alongside Hilton.

- Marlon Mack will be our starting RB in 2018. But who will play behind him?

- Build a respectable Offensive Line.

- Keep bringing in more defensive talent.

- Coaching changes

- We need to hit a few home runs in next years NFL Draft.

- Walk into Free Agency aggressive. If we need to spend a little bit more to land someone who could make this team better from Day 1. Do it.

This coming FA class is the wrong class to be aggressive.    Why?   Because so far,  there doesn't appear to be much to buy.

The 2018 class looks very poor....

Maybe that changes early next year with who gets cut,  but I don't see that changing the class from bad to good.   Maybe from bad to poor or maybe OK.   But that would be about it.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jacoby Brissett has NOT shown more than Jimmy G.     No where near close.

McCarron you can debate.   

But JG is the most valuable of the three by far.     The football world was pretty stunned that Cleveland would offer a 2 and a 3 for AJM.    He hasn't shown that much.     Note there no talk of another team in the bidding...

I guess time will tell but I'd much rather have Brissett. He was put in almost the worst situation possible and has performed admirably.

JB is a starter in this league... They run him out there every week behind a junk OL and he still makes plays down the field. 

He has his warts: holds the ball too long, lacks touch on short throws, ect... but he's better than at least 10 QBs currently starting. A bunch of QBs have his same issues and have more experience. I'd easily take JB over Dalton, for instance... No brainer. He's a better QB... I'd rather have him starting for my team than Flacco. He's better than the current iteration of Eli, and that doesn't even take the Beathards, Trubiskys, and Simeans of the NFL into consideration... (probably spelled some of their names wrong). 

I'm not sure what his ultimate trade value is, but there are teams that want him to start for them, imo. He's a starter... an average one now, but his ceiling is high...

It isn't easy to evaluate a QB who has to play behind our line, with our offensive coaching, and had to learn it all on the fly, with no chemistry with his teammates or familiarity with the playbook. 

It is really hard for me to understand how anybody could think that JB isn't good enough to start for the Browns, Cardinals, Broncos, ect, but that just my opinion... He's a better bet than you can get from the draft... a character guy with talent and physical intangibles who has proven that he has the arm strength and accuracy to thread the needle on the deep ball...