Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 Cap Space?

Can someone help me confirm a little bit on the cap space for next year so I am sure what is. I see difference between the two sites I use, plus the carry over. The Colts will save roungly 4M (3.9M) by my calculations releasing Vontae Davis. The cap space we still have for this year is 18.7M according to OTC. Add back in Vontae's last 7 game salary checks based on 9M for the season, 1.25 was dead money, giving us 22.6 remaining for this year and to be carried over. Next year the cap space is an astounding 70.3M for 2018. So according to my calculations, as long as no one is released, and not concerning extensions, since I now don't see Mewhort being extended, or Montcrief, and those were my prime two, we are going to have $92.9 Million in cap space heading into next season?

Is this correct? I know we are going to have a lot, but I would just like to get a firm figure in my head considering how Ballard is completely making over this roster.

On another note, I can't believe there are not any really good tackles who are coming free in FA. The year we have money to spend. Hopefully we can find a solid guard and a solid tackle at least. Appreciate the help on the Cap space. It just sounds like so much. We may be number one in cap space going into FA. Can't ever remember that.

Vontae is a vested VET and his salary became fully guaranteed when he made the opening day roster. lol

Yes, the FA list looks slim for 2018.
 Ballard will probably try for the best Big WR he can get, and a few other best he can get that fill some holes.

Maybe roll over a bigger chunk for 2019 like the JAGS have done recently. Then you have the $$ to pay the BEST to fill in the last pieces.

Over the cap was listing us off at 72M in space for 2018 but I just checked and now they are listing us at 67M in space.  What happened to 5 million dollars of cap space?

Anyways add 18M into that and it puts us at about 85M 

I don't see any big money cuts we could make.  Maybe Jabal Sheard, but I doubt it.  He's been playing decent and it would be too early to know if we have a suitable replacement for him.  

I think we cut TJ Green but that's a small potatoes cut in terms of cap.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Over the cap was listing us off at 72M in space for 2018 but I just checked and now they are listing us at 67M in space.  What happened to 5 million dollars of cap space?

I don't see any big money cuts we could make.  Maybe Jabal Sheard, but I doubt it.  He's been playing decent and it would be too early to know if we have a suitable replacement for him.  

If anything Indy should have more cap space rather than less with the update. We cut ties with Davis, and I have been hearing around 75 mil before the Davis release. 

On 15/11/2017 at 12:37 PM, Valpo2004 said:

My first thought was they changed what they thought the projected cap might be next year. Still looks set at 178M, which is what its been all year.

I did notice that they changed the projected cap for 2017 from just over 162M to just over 175M, and that our total cap liabilities jumped up to 156.6M for 2017. Im not 100% sure what it was before but we still have the same 18.5M in leftover space for this year that we had before, so im assuming something changed there as well.

Looking at Sportrac, they have the league wide 2017 salary cap at 167M (5M higher than OTC had predicted and listed until this week), as well as another 7M in rollover and adjustments from 2016. They have our total adjusted 2017 cap listed at around 174M, which would make sense with this extra 12M they have added. Not sure where OTC came up with the extra Million (174M vs 175M), but im assuming its a similar calculation. 

The 5M discrepancy for 2018 would be the difference in the cap increase for 2017. Not counting any extra cap from rollovers, they had the league wide cap jumping 16M next yr (from 162M to 178M) and now it is currently projected to increase by 11M (from 167M to 178M). The 2018 projection may or may not change to compensate for this increase as the weeks go on. Something to keep an eye on. 

Hope that makes sense. 

6 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

My first thought was they changed what they thought the projected cap might be next year. Still looks set at 178M, which is what its been all year.

I did notice that they changed the projected cap for 2017 from just over 162M to just over 175M, and that our total cap liabilities jumped up to 156.6M for 2017. Im not 100% sure what it was before but we still have the same 18.5M in leftover space for this year that we had before, so im assuming something changed there as well.

Looking at Sportrac, they have the league wide 2017 salary cap at 167M (5M higher than OTC had predicted and listed until this week), as well as another 7M in rollover and adjustments from 2016. They have our total adjusted 2017 cap listed at around 174M, which would make sense with this extra 12M they have added. Not sure where OTC came up with the extra Million (174M vs 175M), but im assuming its a similar calculation. 

The 5M discrepancy for 2018 would be the difference in the cap increase for 2017. Not counting any extra cap from rollovers, they had the league wide cap jumping 16M next yr (from 162M to 178M) and now it is currently projected to increase by 11M (from 167M to 178M). The 2018 projection may or may not change to compensate for this increase as the weeks go on. Something to keep an eye on. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Great information, which is always greatly appreciated!  Thank you for the post.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is Ballard will try and roll as much over into 2019 as he can. Probably 8 free agents on the Colts will be resigned and a couple from across the league will be brought here. There are some good Free Agents coming available in '19 & '20 and spotrac has the Colts at #14 & #10, respectively, in salary cap room. If the Colts draft well and bring some good players in, as well as resigning some of our own, but still roll a lot of salary cap over we will be financially able to sign above-average/elite Free Agents in the years to come.