Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WFAN NY Francesca "IF I Was Luck Force a Trade"

HOF19

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Nadine said:

I feel like Kravitz resurrecting that three month old between the ears quote like it was new and ranting on how the colts are driving Luck out of Indy started this feeding frenzy.

It would be fascinating if it were not so disturbing

Yeah, I used to like Bobs stuff , but he's resorted to the same nonsense and conspiracy theories  like a lot of these amateurs on internet sports gossip sites. 

16 hours ago, Myles said:

I would.   Draft picks are overvalued right now.   If I were the Giants, I'd have no problem offering a couple 1st rounders and more for him.   There is risk, but acceptable I believe.  

High draft picks are certainly not sure things.  You need good coaching and a coherent strategy to maximize the value of most players.

Football can't rely on the undisciplined efforts of physically talented individuals.  That's where "coherent" strategy comes in. 

51 minutes ago, Roger said:

High draft picks are certainly not sure things.  You need good coaching and a coherent strategy to maximize the value of most players.

Football can't rely on the undisciplined efforts of physically talented individuals.  That's where "coherent" strategy comes in. 

I agree.  I wouldn't trade him if I were the Colts, but I would trade for him if I were the Giants.  

Just now, Myles said:

I agree.  I wouldn't trade him if I were the Colts, but I would trade for him if I were the Giants.  

Let me clarify - I would trade him for the right return IFF we had a good strategy to build a powerhouse team AND a coach who could pull it off. 

Belichick isn't available.  The coach is key to going with the trade. Pagano is not close to being the right guy.

19 hours ago, HOF19 said:

Francesca ADORES Andrew Luck..... Andrew might  be one of Francecsa's favorite players ever !!!!!....He is starting to sound like the Colts will destroy Andrews career......He wishes Andrew got drafted by someone other than the Colts !

19 hours ago, HOF19 said:

No Francesca has been adoring Luck since Lucks sophomore year in college .

Francesa is a Giants fan. He is a huge Luck fan, as you say, and a big critic of Colts management, especially Grigson. I am not surprised that he would want Luck traded to the Giants. 

I don't see it happening unless the Colts draft a QB in the next draft.

On 11/8/2017 at 1:25 PM, aaron11 said:

tons of people feel this way, lots of haters out there

many of them are in new england

I don't get it. Why would we hate Luck? He's never beaten the Patriots and we really have no reason to dislike him at all. Normally I wouldn't bother asking, it just seems weird to bring up the Patriots in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with them. 

On topic, though... 

Francessa is a blowhard, egomaniac, cannoli-chompin' *. I wouldn't bother paying much attention to anything that he says. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Colts haven't wasted anything. It took Manning 9 years to win a super bowl.

Besides his career by average is still young.

I'm not sure what you mean.  The average NFL career is only 3.3 years according to the NFLPA. 

7 minutes ago, Roger said:

I'm not sure what you mean.  The average NFL career is only 3.3 years according to the NFLPA. 

Trying to argue against his point and you mention the NFL career average.  This will encompass players on and off practice squads and players who generally just do not make the league after one year as depth.

He is referring to a talented QB and how there career is typically longer.  Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Ryan Fitzgerald, Josh McCown, or even Jay Cutler just to name a few. 

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not for a QB with the ability of Luck. You are throwing in all the QBs in the league including the backups.  And I do think you know what I meant.

Nobody knows whether Luck will ever play again.

And I still don't know where you are coming from in saying his career, by average, is young. Statistically, it's not young.

6 minutes ago, Roger said:

Nobody knows whether Luck will ever play again.

And I still don't know where you are coming from in saying his career, by average, is young. Statistically, it's not young.

By average you are using skewed stats.

Those same numbers you refer to when actually broke down they are much different.  A player with at least one pro bowl has career average of nearly 12 years (Luck has 3).  That paints a much different picture doesn't it?

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, NFLfan said:

Francesa is a Giants fan. He is a huge Luck fan, as you say, and a big critic of Colts management, especially Grigson. I am not surprised that he would want Luck traded to the Giants. 

I don't see it happening unless the Colts draft a QB in the next draft.

I thought ( when I heard him say it ) that he was speaking with no team in mind ....But now that you said it here...Francesca does like to put suggestions out there on the air hoping his Yankees or the Giants management at least hears him say it.....So you could really be correct on this .

Francesca's "Sources " saying Luck needs a surgery again on his shoulder....But it would not hurt his chances and should be all good 2018 (and Francesca asked a DR. Steve O'Brien on air and the DR. said he sees Andrew playing in 2018 )..........Just telling you what I hear....I am only the messenger so do not shoot .

1 hour ago, HOF19 said:

Francesca's "Sources " saying Luck needs a surgery again on his shoulder....But it would not hurt his chances and should be all good 2018 (and Francesca asked a DR. Steve O'Brien on air and the DR. said he sees Andrew playing in 2018 )..........Just telling you what I hear....I am only the messenger so do not shoot .

Who is Mike Francesca again?

From Yahoo Sports about ESPN's Show on "30 for 30" About "Mike and the Mad Dog "
Kelly Woo
Writer, Yahoo Entertainment
June 13, 2017

Miss Woo wrote >>>>>>>>>From 1989 to 2008, WFAN hosts Mike Francesa and Christopher “Mad Dog” Russo owned sports radio....Her words  not mine......I believe at one time "Mike and the Mad Dog " was highest rated sports radio show in USA....Believe the show is on its way to Radio Hall of Fame.

5 hours ago, HOF19 said:
From Yahoo Sports about ESPN's Show on "30 for 30" About "Mike and the Mad Dog "
Kelly Woo
June 13, 2017

Miss Woo wrote >>>>>>>>>From 1989 to 2008, WFAN hosts Mike Francesa and Christopher “Mad Dog” Russo owned sports radio....Her words  not mine......I believe at one time "Mike and the Mad Dog " was highest rated sports radio show in USA....Believe the show is on its way to Radio Hall of Fame.

It was. It was very popular. 

6 hours ago, HOF19 said:
Kelly Woo
June 13, 2017

It was the number one sports talk radio show in the nation's number one market.   They owned New York City.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

It was the number one sports talk radio show in the nation's number one market.   They owned New York City.

I called his show back in 95 when the Pacers and Knicks were playing in the Playoffs. It was like a 4 minute call and we talked Reggie vs Spike, etc.. Francesca is actually a good guy.

12 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

By average you are using skewed stats.

Those same numbers you refer to when actually broke down they are much different.  A player with at least one pro bowl has career average of nearly 12 years (Luck has 3).  That paints a much different picture doesn't it?

What are the stats for career longevity when a player misses 26 of 96 regular season games due to injury?

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

How funny would it be if they fired McAdoo, hired Pagano, and ended up trading for what turns out to be a damaged Andrew Luck? 

Not funny at all.  I have trouble finding humor in any situation that involves Luck being damaged.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:50 AM, Swan Ronson said:

Interesting. I'd like to know what more people who aren't Andrew Luck would do in the unlikely situation that they find themselves being Andrew Luck.

This is a fun game!  If I was Andrew Luck I would start a sweet architectural firm that designs NFL stadiums and then give kickbacks to the players in exchange for them refusing to play in any stadium that is not a StadiLuck stadium.  That name is just a placeholder right now.  It needs to be something with a little more pizazz.  Suggestions?

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, DaColts85 said:

Hey, I might have just found a new profession!

Well, WFAN is going to need a replacement for Francesca in about a month, so this could be your chance.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 12:22 PM, GoColts8818 said:

He can say he wants to be traded but the Colts don’t have to honor that request.

No, but that doesn't mean that he is entirely powerless in the situation.  Would you really want to put the money and resources into an elite QB that actively voices his desire to not be on your team?  Unless you can work something out with him to change his attitude, you are most likely not going to get a good return on your investment.  So while it's true that Luck can't actually force a trade, he could create a situation that would make it so that it is in the best interest of the Colts to trade him.  No guarantee that it would work out well for him and there is quite a bit of risk involved in it, but it is an option if the situation gets bad enough.  It does happen on occasion.  Now, this all assumes that Luck's contract is structured in a way that he could be traded and not completely cripple the Colts from a salary-cap perspective.  I don't know if that is the case.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 12:44 PM, HungarianColtsFan said:

We are facing a long half season, and a long off-season... 

It's gonna be a long half-off season.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, aaron11 said:

tons of people feel this way, lots of haters out there

many of them are in new England

If you think that people in New England even think about the Colts at this point, you are deluding yourself.  The Colts are no longer relevant as we haven't been a significant threat for years.  At this point, the Pats/Colts rivalry only exists in the heads of Colts fans that haven't let go.  If anything, Pats fans would be happy that Luck is stuck with the Colts rather than another AFC team with management that is competent enough to build a decent team around him.  It works out to their advantage that the Colts have been unable to fully utilize his talent.  It is one less threat that the Pats have to worry about.

5 minutes ago, JCPatriot said:

If you think that people in New England even think about the Colts at this point, you are deluding yourself.  The Colts are no longer relevant as we haven't been a significant threat for years.  At this point, the Pats/Colts rivalry only exists in the heads of Colts fans that haven't let go.  If anything, Pats fans would be happy that Luck is stuck with the Colts rather than another AFC team with management that is competent enough to build a decent team around him.  It works out to their advantage that the Colts have been unable to fully utilize his talent.  It is one less threat that the Pats have to worry about.

you see the trolling on espn and nfl.com

its linked to facebook so i can see where they are from 

31 minutes ago, JCPatriot said:

No, but that doesn't mean that he is entirely powerless in the situation.  Would you really want to put the money and resources into an elite QB that actively voices his desire to not be on your team?  Unless you can work something out with him to change his attitude, you are most likely not going to get a good return on your investment.  So while it's true that Luck can't actually force a trade, he could create a situation that would make it so that it is in the best interest of the Colts to trade him.  No guarantee that it would work out well for him and there is quite a bit of risk involved in it, but it is an option if the situation gets bad enough.  It does happen on occasion.  Now, this all assumes that Luck's contract is structured in a way that he could be traded and not completely cripple the Colts from a salary-cap perspective.  I don't know if that is the case.

Cap hit to trade Luck is 22.2M, which escalates to 25.2M 5 days after we are able to trade him (when the next league year starts in March). We could do it, but we would be throwing away 10-15% of our cap space to get rid of our best player. We would be hard pressed to improve in 2018 if this happened. Might even be worse off then we are this year. 

10 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Cap hit to trade Luck is 22.2M, which escalates to 25.2M 5 days after we are able to trade him (when the next league year starts in March). We could do it, but we would be throwing away 10-15% of our cap space to get rid of our best player. We would be hard pressed to improve in 2018 if this happened. Might even be worse off then we are this year. 

That's pretty typical.  Elite QBs' contracts are usually structured in a way that makes them untradeable from a practical standpoint.  So any talk of trading him is pretty much nonsense unless he could be traded for another player of similar caliber.

9 hours ago, JCPatriot said:

That's pretty typical.  Elite QBs' contracts are usually structured in a way that makes them untradeable from a practical standpoint.  So any talk of trading him is pretty much nonsense unless he could be traded for another player of similar caliber.

I think trading Luck would be difficult, but not because of his contract.  Any trading partner would be suspicious as to whether he was finished.  It would make it impossible to get value for Luck.