Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Labrum Tear and Recovery

AustexColt

According to Dr. Luks an expert surgeon on the subject and who has a video on what a Labrum tear is and whether surgery is needed and also the recovery needed. What I came away with after watching his video was that I hope Andrew did not push too hard in his recovery process to have re-aggravated the tear. Here is the video and you make your own judgement. 

42 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Something tells me that he’ll have a second surgery. I hope not but...

Not trying to be doom and gloom, but in terms of professional athletes (particularly professional baseball players), those that have to undergo 2 surgeries on a posterior labrum tear very rarely, if ever, return to playing.

Will Carroll provided some very interesting statistics on this subject during a recent interview. 

Like I said earlier I have been watching Football for 40 years and not once have I ever seen a torn labrum injury end a QB's career. Drew Brees was better after the injury once it healed. Baseball is different, starting Pitchers throw anywhere from 80-100 pitches a game and have 30 or more scheduled starts. They are required to throw over 90 MPH.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like I said earlier I have been watching Football for 40 years and not once have I ever seen a torn labrum injury end a QB's career. Drew Brees was better after the injury once it healed. Baseball is different, starting Pitchers throw anywhere from 80-100 pitches a game and have 30 or more scheduled starts. They are required to throw over 90 MPH.

And they’re throwing a baseball, which is 5 ounces.

An NFL football is 15 ounces.

MLB starters pitch once every 5 days.  NFL QBs are throwing 50+ balls a day (easily) every week in practice and then throwing it 30-40 times in a game.

Btw, list all the NFL QBs that have returned from a posterior labrum tear.  

2 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

And they’re throwing a baseball, which is 5 ounces.

An NFL football is 15 ounces.

MLB starters pitch once every 5 days.  NFL QBs are throwing 50+ balls a day (easily) every week in practice and then throwing it 30-40 times in a game.

Btw, list all the NFL QBs that have returned from a posterior labrum tear.  

List the one's that haven't? You may be able to find a few but I would bet they had other injuries that forced them to retire. In no way should this end Luck's career, he has the best doctors and medicine around. Baseball is a whole different monster, they play 162 games and even on off days Pitchers have to throw to keep their arm in shape. Talking 90+ MPH to keep in rhythm.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

List the one's that haven't? You may be able to find a few but I would bet they had other injuries that forced them to retire. In no way should this end Luck's career, he has the best doctors and medicine around. Baseball is a whole different monster, they play 162 games and even on off days Pitchers have to throw to keep their arm in shape. Talking 90+ MPH to keep in rhythm.

I’m not trying to challenge you, I’m genuinely curious.

From what I have read, I was under the impression that the posterior labrum repair surgery is extremely rare among NFL QBs.

So I’m trying to get you to list the others.  Brees’ entire shoulder was destroyed.  His damage was more extensive in scope compared to Luck.  

5 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I’m not trying to challenge you, I’m genuinely curious.

From what I have read, I was under the impression that the posterior labrum repair surgery is extremely rare among NFL QBs.

So I’m trying to get you to list the others.  Brees’ entire shoulder was destroyed.  His damage was more extensive in scope compared to Luck.  

I would have to look it up but I thought my Brees example was a great one. I know that is the only one but still a great one. Not challenging you either, you seem to know a lot about this because I seen your list of Baseball players. Appreciate the input actually. I just think it's different with Pitchers because they have to throw at least 90-95 MPH to even be effective and they have such a long season. I guess Rich Hill survived that surgery lmao 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would have to look it up but I thought my Brees example was a great one. I know that is the only one but still a great one. Not challenging you either, you seem to know a lot about this because I seen your list of Baseball players. Appreciate the input actually. I just think it's different with Pitchers because they have to throw at least 90-95 MPH to even be effective and they have such a long season. I guess Rich Hill survived that surgery lmao 

The Brees example is a very good one because he was able to return after sustaining a torn labrum and torn rotator cuff.  It’s a comeback example that elicits hope.  But he’s also kind of an exception to the rule, which is the part that worries me.

And at at the time he suffered his injury, many thought it would be career-ending.  Here’s an excerpt from an SI piece on Brees:

“When San Diego Chargers quarterback Drew Brees tore the labrum in his right shoulder in a 23-7 loss to the Denver Broncos on Dec. 31, 2005, many thought his career could be in jeopardy. 

Famed orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews, who performed surgery on Brees a week after that season-ending game, says he could not believe how Brees has not only come back from the injury, but has continued to play at a high level for many years.”

https://www.si.com/si-wire/2014/06/13/james-andrews-drew-brees-remarkable-comeback

As a fan, I feel blindsided by everything that has happened this season but I think the Colts feel that way too.  No one to blame, really.   Stuff happens.

Really hope Luck can play again at the level he used to.  

1 minute ago, zibby43 said:

The Brees example is a very good one because he was able to return after sustaining a torn labrum and torn rotator cuff.  It’s a comeback example that elicits hope.  But he’s also kind of an exception to the rule, which is the part that worries me.

And at at the time he suffered his injury, many thought it would be career-ending.  Here’s an excerpt from an SI piece on Brees:

“When San Diego Chargers quarterback Drew Brees tore the labrum in his right shoulder in a 23-7 loss to the Denver Broncos on Dec. 31, 2005, many thought his career could be in jeopardy. 

Famed orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews, who performed surgery on Brees a week after that season-ending game, says he could not believe how Brees has not only come back from the injury, but has continued to play at a high level for many years.”

https://www.si.com/si-wire/2014/06/13/james-andrews-drew-brees-remarkable-comeback

As a fan, I feel blindsided by everything that has happened this season but I think the Colts feel that way too.  No one to blame, really.   Stuff happens.

Really hope Luck can play again at the level he used to.  

Yeah James Andrews rules. None of us knows with 100% certainty about Andrew so I can see why people would be worried. I just figure since Andrew is still young and has another year to rehab I think he will come back healthy. If he doesn't I guess I will be wrong.

32 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Retirement is hopefully near and none too soon for Luck’s future health. He’s a smart, rich guy who could do almost anything with his life. 

"Retirement is hopefully near and none too soon" lmao. I literally just puked up my beer after reading that line. The guy loves Football and that is what he is Great at. Maybe he doesn't want to retire and will be 100% coming into next year. Dude isn't retiring at 28. Franchise QB's don't grow on trees either, if he retires we are screwed and why would he if he regains his health? You must think he wont recover because you believe everything you read and hear from the silly brainwashing media haha. No way in hell he retires as much as he loves Football and I have no doubt he will come back 100% next season. Man I cant wait until he does so I have to quit reading Posts like this.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah James Andrews rules. None of us knows with 100% certainty about Andrew so I can see why people would be worried. I just figure since Andrew is still young and has another year to rehab I think he will come back healthy. If he doesn't I guess I will be wrong.

There are rumors that he has seen Dr. Andrews recently (good idea).   However, I heard he did not perform the surgery in this instance (source: Will Carroll).

And I really, really hope that you are right!  And when he does get back healthy, hopefully it's with either Mike McGlinchey at LT or Quenton Nelson at LG and Andrew can go forward and enjoy a healthy career.  He still has plenty of time left if he can get back!

14 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Yeah. this isn't too encouraging either. 

https://www.regenexx.com/shoulder-labrum-surgery-recovery/

Yeah but i think our LUCKY will come back better than ever based on, well, exactly where/what is the librium?

Recent research studies aren’t all that encouraging that surgery for a torn labrum works that well in most patients. 

A recent study looked at the outcome of nearly 5,000 surgeries. Only about 1 in 4 patients actually had no pain after the surgery and only 4 in 10 said that the surgery was a resounding success.

Even worse, just a bit more than 1 in 10 said that their function was normal after the surgery. Oh boy!

Most COLTS HOMERS believe that surgery for a torn labrum is like getting a broken part replaced in their car. 

Oh boy, not many patients are reporting that their results were great or that they have no pain or normal function after this invasive surgery.    :Yikes:

14 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Not trying to be doom and gloom, but in terms of professional athletes (particularly professional baseball players), those that have to undergo 2 surgeries on a posterior labrum tear very rarely, if ever, return to playing.

Will Carroll provided some very interesting statistics on this subject during a recent interview. 

My think was based off what was thrown about about the injury. It wasn’t a full tear from what I was told. So if he doesn’t need a second surgery it would be to repair a full torn labrum. 

From the videos of luck throwing the football I highly doubt his career is over. With there being pain I'm sure they could probably still push him to play if needed but we decided to go ahead and shut him down early and let him continue to rehab. My bet is luck comes back next year better than ever

2 hours ago, twfish said:

From the videos of luck throwing the football I highly doubt his career is over. With there being pain I'm sure they could probably still push him to play if needed but we decided to go ahead and shut him down early and let him continue to rehab. My bet is luck comes back next year better than ever

I hope you're right.