Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Donahue: It's very possible that Luck never plays again

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not buying this....yet. 

Not sure why this would be determined now - he's going to rehab and then be checked up again in December. Seems way to premature to say there's a chance he's not going to play again. 

Also, not buying this Tony has a source. He said Luck was going to IR...when it became obvious this was a possibility after Ballard's press conference. And now this? Meh. Lots of people speculating right now. 

I'm not gonna brush this off like he's just making this up, even if he is. If you really look at how this whole thing has played out, especially with as little real information as we've gotten, it definitely seems like a possibility.

That said, it's interesting how he brought up Manning as team president in his next tweet. He and JMV have been pushing the Manning agenda a lot recently.

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm not brushing this off at all. If you really look at how this has played out, especially with as little real information as we've gotten, it definitely seems like a possibility.

That said, it's interesting how he brought up Manning in his next tweet. He and JMV have been pushing the Manning agenda a lot recently.

Manning would be the only silver lining for Colts fans at this point. If Irsay allowed Grigson/Pagano to ruin Andrew Luck's career and force him into early retirement, Peyton Manning as team president is the only thing that would sell tickets. And if Irsay's trying to get Manning, somehow botches it, and Manning ends up in Cleveland or Tennessee, man, it's going to be difficult to justify supporting his franchise any longer.

5 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm not brushing this off at all. If you really look at how this has played out, especially with as little real information as we've gotten, it definitely seems like a possibility.

That said, it's interesting how he brought up Manning in his next tweet. He and JMV have been pushing the Manning agenda a lot recently.

All I'm going to say is... I'm not getting a "gut feeling" that there's some really great Andrew Luck news on the horizon.

It's probably true. Dakich was saying clear back around week 2 or week 3 that he had someone tell him there was a real chance Luck would never play again. And it wasn't all about the injury either although it was part of it, it was more that Luck is a different breed, doesn't really need football in his life, and could walk away and be just fine living his life. When you take this into account with things Irsay has said questioning Luck's mental toughness it does make ya wonder. Luck has been beat up for years here, he may be tired of it.  I will agree with what JMV has been saying lately, if you want these rumors to stop, Luck needs to speak. Not a statement, he needs to get up in front of everyone and speak and tell exactly what has gone on and is going on now. Otherwise, this PR nightmare will continue.  I also seen Donahue mention Irsay getting Manning in here to help run things should Luck retire, that needs to happen regardless of Luck. Irsay is a trainwreck, if he loses Manning to someone like Cleveland there wont be much of a fan base left.

Just tossing out a thought.    Andrew always struck me as the type of player that wasn't all that passionate about football.  Maybe that's unfair, but there is a difference between Manning and Luck, and both were the sons of NFL QBs.  I don't think football is Andrew's life, nor is the Super Bowl, nor is a legacy.

Maybe he's more interested in studying the sinking Millennial Tower in SF than the sinking team.  Just sayin'

A lack of passion at this point would certainly go along with Irsay's comments that the issue is in his head.

2 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

It's probably true. Dakich was saying clear back around week 2 or week 3 that he had someone tell him there was a real chance Luck would never play again. And it wasn't all about the injury either although it was part of it, it was more that Luck is a different breed, doesn't really need football in his life, and could walk away and be just fine living his life. When you take this into account with things Irsay has said questioning Luck's mental toughness it does make ya wonder. Luck has been beat up for years here, he may be tired of it.  I will agree with what JMV has been saying lately, if you want these rumors to stop, Luck needs to speak. Not a statement, he needs to get up in front of everyone and speak and tell exactly what has gone on and is going on now. Otherwise, this PR nightmare will continue.  I also seen Donahue mention Irsay getting Manning in here to help run things should Luck retire, that needs to happen regardless of Luck. Irsay is a trainwreck, if he loses Manning to someone like Cleveland there wont be much of a fan base left.

I just posted the same thought 

I'm sure I'll get trashed for this, but I'm so tired of the Manning thing. 

No evidence whatsoever that making him team president is a good thing. He's got zero experience. Being a good player does not equal being a good executive.

I'm not against him joining the organization at all. But JMV, Krazitv and others pushing the narrative that he's going to ride in and save the day is just too much.  

Just now, Somewhere ovr the Waynebow said:

I'm sure I'll get trashed for this, but I'm so tired of the Manning thing. 

No evidence whatsoever that making him team president is a good thing. He's got zero experience. Being a good player does not equal being a good executive.

I'm not against him joining the organization at all. But JMV, Krazitv and others pushing the narrative that he's going to ride in and save the day is just too much.  

"Save the day" is a stretch. The honeymoon period alone would be enough to keep season ticket sales above water for 2-3 seasons, but if they were to have bad results, fans will bail, regardless of Manning.

9 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

It's probably true.

It's probably true that it's very possible that he never plays again... 

Nothing like a definitive stance..

I dunno that I buy any of this beyond it simply can't be proven/disproven- so yeah, lot's of "if's, but's maybe's, possibly". Time will tell.

I tend to agree that Andrew talking to the media for a few might help this out.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

"Save the day" is a stretch. The honeymoon period alone would be enough to keep season ticket sales above water for 2-3 seasons, but if they were to have bad results, fans will bail, regardless of Manning.

Exactly. The media presents it as: Colts have an issue, Manning is the only one that can solve it, and he will solve it 100%. The way they frame it is ridiculous . 

I don't get where all of these "experts" are getting their info, because the only person that could determine Luck's physical and mental condition is Andrew Luck. I don't see him leaking anything to anyone, especially about how his career could be over. I see all of this as a means to garner attention from members of the media that don't have a ton to cover with the state of the team at this moment. People don't tune in or click when their team is bad, but dangle a carrot about how our franchise QB's career could be over and people will flock. It's sensationalist b.s. and I'm not biting...

So here is what Donahue is actually saying.......

That Chris Ballard is lying.   Ballard just said NO DOCTOR is telling him this is potentially career threatening.    

Luck says he he expects to come back better than ever.    Is he lying too?

It's way WAY too early to reach any conclusion on Luck.    

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I expect a franchise QB to do that, but we've only seen Luck talk, what, twice this year?

Didn't he talk to them just a few weeks ago though? I don't recall exactly. 

It really does seem like some of this stress is a refrying of beans that we all ready knew about. Luck had major shoulder surgery. He's on IR. Time and rest as opposed to going in for more surgery is where this is at. Sure, maybe it doesn't heal all the way, but.... why is this now counted on as a established fact or a "very possible" outcome..

If I was to play around with the conspiracy, I wouldn't be shocked if the stress (if there is fire here) is that maybe Luck doesn't need football as much as the Colts need Luck.. I could see him not wanting more abuse from the game, but that's 100% speculation and there's nothing on record to support it. In fact what's on record is his "looking forward to being our QB" or whatever..

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So here is what Donahue is actually saying.......

That Chris Ballard is lying.   Ballard just said NO DOCTOR is telling him this is potentially career threatening.    

Luck says he he expects to come back better than ever.    Is he lying too?

It's way WAY too early to reach any conclusion on Luck.    

This is a very good point.

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just tossing out a thought.    Andrew always struck me as the type of player that wasn't all that passionate about football.  Maybe that's unfair, but there is a difference between Manning and Luck, and both were the sons of NFL QBs.  I don't think football is Andrew's life, nor is the Super Bowl, nor is a legacy.

Maybe he's more interested in studying the sinking Millennial Tower in SF than the sinking team.  Just sayin'

A lack of passion at this point would certainly go along with Irsay's comments that the issue is in his head.

Oh Dear God....   here we go again....

Perhaps the only player who has a dedication to football as Peyton did is Tom Brady.     So by definition EVERYONE ELSE has less dedication.    But that doesn't mean Luck lacks passion or enough dedication.

This is the same guy who played with great pain in 2015.    And who decided against surgery and re-injured the right shoulder in week 2 of 2016 and still played the rest of the season (minus one game for a concussion) but played with great pain in his shoulder.    Isn't that enough passion and dedication?

I'm not sure what else the man has to do? 

49 minutes ago, B~Town said:

So we still owe luck around 30 mil in injury guarantees read in a article will lead to some interesting decisions down the road if true . 

Good. let Jim pay up as he was the fool who wanted him to be highest QB. Luck is another damaged RG3

14 minutes ago, IinD said:

Without Luck speaking, the only time we'll get a more definitive answer would be the draft.

A QB in the top ten then you can assume he's toast. An OT or OLB and you can assume he'll be around in 18'.

Colts will look for OL instead but need that QB to draft in18.