Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Coach.

Matabix

On 11/7/2017 at 4:44 PM, chad72 said:

Ballard is very good at working with his coach for his roster. Defensively, McDaniels and him won't have a clash since McDaniels has seen the Chiefs give the Patriots enough fits with their style of D, so he will let Ballard go with minimal opposition on the defensive choices. On the offensive choices, Ballard will defer to McDaniels more since McDaniels will be the one maximizing the talents on the Colts roster offensively, and complementary pieces/traits will definitely be preferred by Josh there.

McDaniels has also mellowed down over the years, learning from his first stint with the Broncos, he is not nearly the control freak he was then. He has learnt that relationships with players and staff are more important when things go south in a season or two. So, I think he will get assurances from Irsay that he will be given 5 or 6 years, whatever makes him happy, to let him know the Colts commit to him. 

On 11/7/2017 at 8:32 PM, rockywoj said:

I disagree with what you say.  I think this time around, McDaniels will be more contented within his role and more willing to delegate.  I can’t recall all of the specifics, but awhile back I read an article about McDaniels and all of the mistakes and lessons learned in his stint as HC in Denver. I suspect he’ll be much better his 2nd time as a head coach.  I’d want him to be the OC as well, with an assistant OC to help out.  Offensive game planning and play calling would have to remain in his hands, though.  

You guys know I respect both of you a ton, I simply disagree. I think McDaniels is going to be verrrrryyyy selective about his next career stop, because he knows that not a lot of guys get more than two chances. I suppose I can see him working with a personnel man but I don't know about an entrenched GM... even a good one... if they don't know each other or have worked with each other before. 

Some thoughts from Greg Bedard, who used to be a Pats beat reporter... 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/19/nfl-coaches-josh-mcdaniels-conference-championship-games

As I said before too, the even bigger factor may be working for Irsay. Belichick is going to have a very big influence on McDaniels and his decisions, and I don't think Irsay is BB's kind of guy/owner. You don't see Robert Kraft giving quasi injury reports on Twitter, is basically what I'm saying. Combine that with the bad taste left over from DFG, and I think BB would cut Josh off (like Mangini) if he were to go to Indy. 

Just my opinion, and I could certainly be wrong. All I'm going by is public knowledge here. Maybe we can flag this somehow and make it a friendly bet, lol... I'll send you some fresh NE seafood if I lose, you guys send me some steaks! :thmup:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, GoPats said:

You guys know I respect both of you a ton, I simply disagree. I think McDaniels is going to be verrrrryyyy selective about his next career stop, because he knows that not a lot of guys get more than two chances. I suppose I can see him working with a personnel man but I don't know about an entrenched GM... even a good one... if they don't know each other or have worked with each other before. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/19/nfl-coaches-josh-mcdaniels-conference-championship-games

As I said before too, the even bigger factor may be working for Irsay. Belichick is going to have a very big influence on McDaniels and his decisions, and I don't think Irsay is BB's kind of guy/owner. You don't see Robert Kraft giving quasi injury reports on Twitter, is basically what I'm saying. Combine that with the bad taste left over from DFG, and I think BB would cut Josh off (like Mangini) if he were to go to Indy. 

Just my opinion, and I could certainly be wrong. All I'm going by is public knowledge here. Maybe we can flag this somehow and make it a friendly bet, lol... I'll send you some fresh NE seafood if I lose, you guys send me some steaks! :thmup:

I think there is a lot of truth to what you say.  But the recent trades between Indy and the Evil Empire may have thawed some of that.  I have a hard time seeing the Pats and Colts working together under Grigson on anything.  Ballard is a different animal.

Personally I would love McDaniels but I think Indy is destined for someone on the Chiefs' staff.  Plus I have to think that either he or Patricia is in line for the glorious day when BB decides to fish full time.  

On 11/5/2017 at 7:55 PM, Luck 4 president said:

Innovative, young, offensive minded coach? Eagles and 9ers tried that with Chip Kelly just saying

Yea, LA Rams also tried it with McVay and it's going pretty well. You're either gonna make it as an NFL coach or not, Kelly's scheme was garbage and couldn't work at an NFL level. Rams have the youngest and very much just an offensive minded coach (they have the luxury of one of the best DCs ever working that side of the ball though) and they are rolling

On 11/07/2017 at 10:13 AM, GoPats said:

I wouldn't count on it. McDaniels isn't going to take a coaching job where there's a GM in place. He'll want full roster control. Look at what he did in Denver... trading Marshall, Cutler, etc. 

Irsay is also going to scare some candidates away. 

I hope Irsay scares McDaniels away.  He bombed once, I'm not hopeful that he can really shine away from Hoodie.

2 hours ago, GoPats said:

There are a ton of ways to attack that piece by Bedard, but I'll just stick with the most obvious, to me: the teams that didn't hire McDaniels didn't pass on him, he passed on them, and for obvious reasons.

Now, could he have hangups with the Colts operation? Sure, same as with any other team. He and Ballard could be fire and ice, who knows... But I don't think him 'picking his own GM' is something that would dissuade him from taking a strong job. Especially if the QB room is as important to him as everyone seems to think.

JMO

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

There are a ton of ways to attack that piece by Bedard, but I'll just stick with the most obvious, to me: the teams that didn't hire McDaniels didn't pass on him, he passed on them, and for obvious reasons.

Now, could he have hangups with the Colts operation? Sure, same as with any other team. He and Ballard could be fire and ice, who knows... But I don't think him 'picking his own GM' is something that would dissuade him from taking a strong job. Especially if the QB room is as important to him as everyone seems to think.

JMO

I don't see what he has done to have the power to have a say in who the GM is.  If he thinks he needs full control good luck.  He certainly is not going to get it with the Colts.  If that is one of his perquisites you can forget about him coming here.  BTW Irasy is not going to scare anyone away.  Ballard and Luck will be a top choice for anyone with a desire to be an NFL head coach. 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't see what he has done to have the power to have a say in who the GM is.  If he thinks he needs full control good luck.  He certainly is not going to get it with the Colts.  If that is one of his perquisites you can forget about him coming here.  BTW Irasy is not going to scare anyone away.  Ballard and Luck will be a top choice for anyone with a desire to be an NFL head coach. 

He's one of the strongest and most sought after head coaching candidates in the league, so he'll have some pull. But he won't get that kind of control in Indy, for sure, not with Ballard taking control of the operation the way he has.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

By the way, I still think Pagano goes, but he seems to have toughened up a little over the past few weeks. Assuming he's out front on the Davis situation, that's a big step away from the 'players' coach' label he's earned over the last five years.

I wonder too, how much of this did Pagano try to do before but couldnt? I recall reading reports that Grigs wouldnt allow certain punishments, etc. and this was Pagano being backed up by his GM

On 11/9/2017 at 11:59 AM, jskinnz said:

I think there is a lot of truth to what you say.  But the recent trades between Indy and the Evil Empire may have thawed some of that.  I have a hard time seeing the Pats and Colts working together under Grigson on anything.  Ballard is a different animal.

Personally I would love McDaniels but I think Indy is destined for someone on the Chiefs' staff.  Plus I have to think that either he or Patricia is in line for the glorious day when BB decides to fish full time.  

Well it's definitely a lot more likely with Ballard than it would have been with Grigson. Given his dislike for NE, I doubt Grigson would have even considered McDaniels. 

I think you hit on something else there too. I get the feeling that McDaniels has possibly already had that conversation with Belichick and/or Kraft about a succession plan. He'd be the more logical choice (over Patricia) as the HC I think, and if there's any sort of "plan" in place, I would think he's involved. 

On 11/9/2017 at 1:12 PM, Roger said:

I hope Irsay scares McDaniels away.  He bombed once, I'm not hopeful that he can really shine away from Hoodie.

If he gets a shot I'm sure you'll see him do a lot of things differently. I think his problem last time around is that he basically tried to be Belichick in Denver, and he doesn't have the resume for that yet. 

On 11/9/2017 at 2:21 PM, Superman said:

JMO

What's factoring into my thoughts on this is Belichick's personal experience, as well as everything that happened with Mangini. I'm sure McDaniels will want to be working with a talented young QB, which he would certainly have in Luck. But I don't know if Irsay's personality is a good match. Ownership is important, and if there's a poor connection between the owner and the coach, it usually doesn't go well. 

On November 9, 2017 at 1:12 PM, Roger said:

I see the point.  But bombing once is not a guarantee of bombing a 2nd time.  People can learn and get better - happens all the time in all walks of life.  Look at McDaniels' boss although I would not say BB bombed in Cleveland.

The thing I see every time I watch the Pats is that they generally always have a schematic advantage over.  Plus I like how they are adaptive and don't fall into conventional thinking for instance that offensive balance is paramount.  If the best way for them to win a game is have Brady drop back 60 times, they will do that.  BB is certainly the driving force there but McDaniels is certainly plays a very large role.  

Ultimately though I don't think this matters much.  I believe the next Indy coach currently resides in KC.

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I see the point.  But bombing once is not a guarantee of bombing a 2nd time.  People can learn and get better - happens all the time in all walks of life.  Look at McDaniels' boss although I would not say BB bombed in Cleveland.

The thing I see every time I watch the Pats is that they generally always have a schematic advantage over.  Plus I like how they are adaptive and don't fall into conventional thinking for instance that offensive balance is paramount.  If the best way for them to win a game is have Brady drop back 60 times, they will do that.  BB is certainly the driving force there but McDaniels is certainly plays a very large role.  

Ultimately though I don't think this matters much.  I believe the next Indy coach currently resides in KC.

So you think Belichick didn't bomb in Cleveland with a record of 36-44 but Pagano is a bomb with the Colts at 51-37? 

Belichick made the playoffs 1 time in Cleveland and was 1-1. Pagano made the playoffs 3 times and is 3-3?

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you think Belichick didn't bomb in Cleveland with a record of 36-44 but Pagano is a bomb with the Colts at 51-37? 

Belichick made the playoffs 1 time in Cleveland and was 1-1. Pagano made the playoffs 3 times and is 3-3?

Sounds like you think Pagano is a success and are satisfied with the Colts performance?

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pagano has been a success in Indy. It don't matter what I think the facts speak for themselves.

He did decent in his first few years here, but I'm not sure I'd call his tenure a success. The Colts have gotten worse almost every year since 2014, and are probably going to miss the playoffs again. 

13 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

He did decent in his first few years here, but I'm not sure I'd call his tenure a success. The Colts have gotten worse almost every year since 2014, and are probably going to miss the playoffs again. 

We haven't had very much to celebrate since the Runner-Up Banner.

8 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I know not all of it is his fault, and I'm not saying it is. But I don't think hes a very good head coach. JMO.

Definitely a nice guy, and he won the hearts of Colts fans when he battled cancer.  I wonder, though, if that experience may have changed him.  Many people take a different outlook after surviving a major health scare.

On 11/8/2017 at 2:10 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Ahhhh.....    uhhhh....    ehhhhhh.....

If Luck is done, WHO coaches next matters more than ever!

Nothing would be more important.

stand corrected, i concur, what was i thinking? im old at one time i could think better than this

8 hours ago, Roger said:

it will 

8 hours ago, Roger said:

8 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Can't see why what? The Colts have been trending in the wrong direction for 3-4 years now. That's not what I'd call success.

nothing that upgrades in talent cant fix

3 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

stand corrected, i concur, what was i thinking? im old at one time i could think better than this

Hey....  no worries...   

If I had a dollar for every brain cramp I ever had I'd be the richest man in the whole world!!

Happens to all of us...

Lets hope Luck and all of his doctors can figure this out...   

I personally think that McDaniels would love it here. He is a family man with a strong Faith in God. I think he would fit in very well in Indy. A nice Midwestern city with midwestern family values. Sounds like just the kind of town he and his family are looking for. 

I think McDaniels has been wanting to coach Luck and the Colts but we never made him the offer. Now, the ULTIMATE BARGAINING CHIP (Luck) is injured and his career may be in jeopardy...  I’m sure the Colts HC job just lost a lot of luster...  But part of me thinks that he’d still come here to coach. 

I just no no longer have faith in Irsay’s decision making. Though Chuck has been adequate, I don’t think he nor Grigson were the right hires initially and both should have been dumped for Ballard and McDaniels 2 years ago. At the very least, both should have been fired last year and CB & JMac both brought in for this year. 

These rumors of Irsay wanting Gruden, just screams of style over substance. Now if I’m wrong and Gruden is brought in and we’re great, I’ll admit my wrong but I just don’t see it happening...  I’m praying that Irsay lets CB make the hire, whomever that is, and he’s not forcing CB’s hand.  Irsay needs to be more Robert Kraft (behind the curtain) and less Jerry Jones (on front street)...  He’s beginning to do more harm than good. 

On 11/11/2017 at 10:37 AM, crazycolt1 said:

I never said Pagano bombed here in Indy.  Not once.  You are attributing words to me that I never said to fit your narrative.  I did say he has shortcomings that have been obvious to all.  I also said that the larger picture is that the perception of him, real or imagined, to the fan base has to resonate with Irsay and that this will most assuredly be his last as the Colts' coach.  There will be mutiny and mass exodus of season ticket holders if Pagano is brought back.

Here is what I believe.

Pagano is a poor in-game manager.

Pagano is in the lower half to third of the league as a game planner.

I believe the biggest factor of his first 3 years as coach was largely the result of how good Luck was.  He masked scheme and personnel short-comings.

Games like yesterday are really worrying me that Pagano will be back in 2018. 

Almost every time this team fails he can usually put some kind of positive spin on it. 

"Oh, we dominated one of the top teams in the conference all day with our backup QB and only lost on a last second FG. If Andrew Luck were playing we win that game." 

When this guy guy goes to argue his case in January he's always got a positive spin he can put on things. 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Games like yesterday are really worrying me that Pagano will be back in 2018. 

Almost every time this team fails he can usually put some kind of positive spin on it. 

"Oh, we dominated one of the top teams in the conference all day with our backup QB and only lost on a last second FG. If Andrew Luck were playing we win that game." 

When this guy guy goes to argue his case in January he's always got a positive spin he can put on things. 

I don't understand why you expect him to be any other way?  He is a head coach. He is not going to throw his players or coordinators under the bus publically.

Come January it will be up to Irsay and Ballard to make any choices on changes. What you, me or anyone else thinks in this forum will have no bearing on it.

Most everyone knows where I stand as far as Pagano is concerned but what I think makes no difference either. None of us have a crystal ball so in reality we just don't know.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

I never said Pagano bombed here in Indy.  Not once.  You are attributing words to me that I never said to fit your narrative.  I did say he has shortcomings that have been obvious to all.  I also said that the larger picture is that the perception of him, real or imagined, to the fan base has to resonate with Irsay and that this will most assuredly be his last as the Colts' coach.  There will be mutiny and mass exodus of season ticket holders if Pagano is brought back.

Here is what I believe.

Pagano is a poor in-game manager.

Pagano is in the lower half to third of the league as a game planner.

I believe the biggest factor of his first 3 years as coach was largely the result of how good Luck was.  He masked scheme and personnel short-comings.

Look, every head coach in the league depends on the play of their QB to be successful. Why should Pagano be any different?  It's easy to sit on your couch and say a lot of things but without wearing those shoes there is no way none of us can really know the job.

Winning games is a total team effort and the head coach is just one piece of the puzzle. I understand he is the head coach and he is the one who ultimately takes the heat. That comes with the territory.

My point all along has been when given a healthy and talented team Pagano had no problems winning games. Matter of fact his record was as good as any head coaches record in history as a 5 year head coach.

I am a firm believer in cause and effect and Pagano has fell into that zone. Every move he makes is put under the microscope and the bad calls he has made is scrutinized while the good things he has done is completely overlooked.

So David Toub has a pretty decent resume:

http://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches/dave-toub/c32f2a95-a662-482d-a3e7-900d7857b4b6?qwr=fullsite_temporary

Former offensive lineman so he knows technique. And I know he’s just a STs coordinator but he’s mastered his craft. All of the units he coached have been the best in the NFL. He also spent time in Chicago like Ballard did. Seems like a strong candidate. He’s interviewed for HC jobs in the past.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

So David Toub has a pretty decent resume:

http://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches/dave-toub/c32f2a95-a662-482d-a3e7-900d7857b4b6?qwr=fullsite_temporary

Former offensive lineman so he knows technique. And I know he’s just a STs coordinator but he’s mastered his craft. All of the units he coached have been the best in the NFL. He also spent time in Chicago like Ballard did. Seems like a strong candidate. He’s interviewed for HC jobs in the past.

To the bolded I say, be careful with this broad statement.  Grigson also was a linemen and he did not do to well look for this position.  He should have know technique as well, right?

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

To the bolded I say, be careful with this broad statement.  Grigson also was a linemen and he did not do to well look for this position.  He should have know technique as well, right?

Touché. Grigson was surprisingly bad at Scouting lineman, but he wasn’t a coach. Together with Ballard Toub should be able to do way better than Grigson. The KC OL is underrated and they don’t have a bunch of 1st rounders starting.

18 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Touché. Grigson was surprisingly bad at Scouting lineman, but he wasn’t a coach. Together with Ballard Toub should be able to do way better than Grigson. The KC OL is underrated and they don’t have a bunch of 1st rounders starting.

Grigson was the guy getting them.  Toub, if our coach, would be stuck with what he has.  Now KC's line has no effect on this discussion because Toub is not there line coach.  Ballard also was not the GM so there line was due to other factors.

On 11/10/2017 at 12:07 PM, GoPats said:

What's factoring into my thoughts on this is Belichick's personal experience, as well as everything that happened with Mangini. I'm sure McDaniels will want to be working with a talented young QB, which he would certainly have in Luck. But I don't know if Irsay's personality is a good match. Ownership is important, and if there's a poor connection between the owner and the coach, it usually doesn't go well. 

I can see why McDaniels would consult with Belichick and would like to have his backing, but I don't see why any of Belichick's assistants need his stamp of approval if they decide to leave. And honestly, if McDaniels isn't comfortable making a move without Daddy's approval (I'm being facetious, but still), then I don't know if I'd want him. Everybody has to leave the nest and do their own thing at a certain point.

My understanding of the issue with Mangini is a) he went to the Jets, a divisional rival that openly expressed their hatred for Belichick, b) he committed to hanging around for more than one season as the DC, not jumping ship the first time another team showed him some attention, and c) he left and went turncoat, airing some of the Pats secrets.

I don't think any of that would apply with McDaniels at this point.

And the Irsay issue, I think that's overblown in general. Irsay is a loyal, patient owner who supports his staff and has the respect of everyone who works for him and has worked for him. He's not some impetuous blowhard, as people make him out to be. He has some personal issues, but I'm not sure they've affected the way he runs his team in any material way. And if the worst thing you can say about him is that he tweets injury status, then maybe we're being a little picky. JMO

I've been hesitant on McDaniels, and any Belichick assistant, for a while now. I've slowly come around to him, over the last year or two, partly because I like the fact that he's willing to wait for the right situation (there are other reasons). If he doesn't like the Indy situation, that's fine. I just disagree with the sentiment that it's not a hot opportunity for pretty much anyone.

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

I can see why McDaniels would consult with Belichick and would like to have his backing, but I don't see why any of Belichick's assistants need his stamp of approval if they decide to leave. And honestly, if McDaniels isn't comfortable making a move without Daddy's approval (I'm being facetious, but still), then I don't know if I'd want him. Everybody has to leave the nest and do their own thing at a certain point.

My understanding of the issue with Mangini is a) he went to the Jets, a divisional rival that openly expressed their hatred for Belichick, b) he committed to hanging around for more than one season as the DC, not jumping ship the first time another team showed him some attention, and c) he left and went turncoat, airing some of the Pats secrets.

I don't think any of that would apply with McDaniels at this point.

And the Irsay issue, I think that's overblown in general. Irsay is a loyal, patient owner who supports his staff and has the respect of everyone who works for him and has worked for him. He's not some impetuous blowhard, as people make him out to be. He has some personal issues, but I'm not sure they've affected the way he runs his team in any material way. And if the worst thing you can say about him is that he tweets injury status, then maybe we're being a little picky. JMO

I've been hesitant on McDaniels, and any Belichick assistant, for a while now. I've slowly come around to him, over the last year or two, partly because I like the fact that he's willing to wait for the right situation (there are other reasons). If he doesn't like the Indy situation, that's fine. I just disagree with the sentiment that it's not a hot opportunity for pretty much anyone.

I believe Pagano is going...Living here in NY metro area I like to listen to Mike Francesca on Monday's ....It has all been about the Giants today.....Francesca ( who supposedly knows the Alabama coach ) took  a call from a NY Giants fan asking about Saban for the Giants....And Francesca responded he knows how Saban feels about Andrew  and said the only NFL team that Saban would stop and consider ( and it would be considered) is whoever has Andrew Luck....Again supposedly Francesca knows Saban.