Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Coach.

Matabix

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I think you're going to be more likely to find success from head coaches with experience. A lot of head coaches do better the second time around. Not many are first time success stories. And McVay is doing well now, but has less than a year in so it's hard to truly measure him.

I would agree with that.  It's a sound argument.  The job is difficult and experience is a factor.

If it were to be a younger guy, he'd have to bring the right attitude and have some real success as a coordinator.

McVay seems to have the respect of his players whereas Gase seems to be having a bit of a meltdown in Miami.  Gase's sideline demeanor in games is pretty distracting. 

5 hours ago, deedub75 said:

I've always said the Jeff Fisher was holding the Rams back.  Before we played the Rams this season, a lot of people on this forum were overlooking the Rams and I posted on here that a change of coach would make that team play better.  

I just don't think Pagano is the one who will get the Colts over the top even with Luck.  Yes, with Pagano will may always have a chance to win the division but I just don't see him getting this team to a point where they will be competing for a #1 or #2 seed.  

Agreed.  Well said.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

SF is also going that route. And despite having no talent on offense (outside of Hyde) and no QB, they aren't much worse than the Colts on offense. I would have loved to get Shanahan.

Whoever they hire needs to be an OC though. Tired of these defensive-minded HCs.

What do you (and the other posters I responded to above) think of McDaniels?

Would he even entertain Ballard's offer?  Is he ready to be a head coach again?

There's no question he's one of the most talented offensive minds in the league today.

47 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I would agree with that.  It's a sound argument.  The job is difficult and experience is a factor.

If it were to be a younger guy, he'd have to bring the right attitude and have some real success as a coordinator.

McVay seems to have the respect of his players whereas Gase seems to be having a bit of a meltdown in Miami.  Gase's sideline demeanor in games is pretty distracting. 

Agreed.  Well said.

There's no question he's one of the most talented offensive minds in the league today.

I think David Shaw is a more likely choice. 

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

Agreed.  Well said.

No doubt. I just don't know about McDaniels.

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

I am intrigued, and have been asking myself these questions too.

On the surface it seems like a great fit, but I am taking my time to ponder the thought.

19 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Who was the easy going coach who had the QB who demanded excellence?  You referring to Dungy & Peyton?  If so, you give Peyton too much credit and not enough to Dungy...   I remember the easy going coach who demanded excellence from his QB & everyone else on the team. In fact, the demand of excellence came from Polian, Dungy, the rest of our coaching staff and then Peyton.

Dungy’s Colts were never known as teams that lacked discipline.  Not the kind of man Dungy was, most definitely not the kind of coach he was, nor the types of teams he coached.  His style empowered many to become better leaders and it showed throughout the team.  We could use another coach like Dungy right now. We have a lot of guys that could use some more maturity and fundamental growth.  I’m not sure we’re getting all of those things from this staff. 

But it I will give Chuck some credit.  Just like in his battle with cancer, he took it on and wouldn’t quit. I can say the same for his Colt’s teams. They may not be the most fundamentally sound or well prepared and may even get blown out on any given Sunday but they will show up the next week and fight...  When you look at the big picture, his teams have never quit on him. 

I guess easy going isn't the right word as much as he's quiet compared to Manning.

Pagano is too easy going and Andrew Luck is laid back as well. Luck/Harbaugh worked so well at Stanford is because they complimented each other. 

1 minute ago, CF4L said:

I guess easy going isn't the right word as much as he's quiet compared to Manning.

Pagano is too easy going and Andrew Luck is laid back as well. Luck/Harbaugh worked so well at Stanford is because they complimented each other. 

Andrew had asked for better offensive lineman last season while Ryan was here in charge. That’s why we seen that heavy draft of them. Did it work... no! But he isn’t as quite as some of you think. Also I heard that Andrew didn’t like Jim. He was going to not commit senior year if JH was going to return. He liked David Shaw and communicated with him more. 

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think David Shaw is a more likely choice. 

Here's the question I have about Shaw:

How much of what he does, offensively, is similar to what Harbaugh runs?

Because in NFL circles, Harbaugh's offense is considered prehistoric.  And the Colts need someone that is creative.

Shaw has been successful running a very physical, run-heavy offense in a very soft, basketball on grass Pac-12 conference.  Stanford is having a bit of a down year this year. 

22 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Here's the question I have about Shaw:

How much of what he does, offensively, is similar to what Harbaugh runs?

Because in NFL circles, Harbaugh's offense is considered prehistoric.  And the Colts need someone that is creative.

Shaw has been successful running a very physical, run-heavy offense in a very soft, basketball on grass Pac-12 conference.  Stanford is having a bit of a down year this year. 

I don't know if his offense is similar to Harbaughs but Luck was very successful in it and Harbaugh is running it at Michigan I assume.  The NFL is not college as Chip Kelly found out so I don't put too much stock on being creative.  I think both Harbaugh and Shaw would have success in the NFL especially with a QB like Luck.  I think they would focus on acquiring talent to fit their offense and demanding proper execution.  I think that would bode very well for us with Luck behind center. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I don't know if his offense is similar to Harbaughs but Luck was very successful in it and Harbaugh is running it at Michigan I assume.  The NFL is not college as Chip Kelly found out so I don't put too much stock on being creative.  I think both Harbaugh and Shaw would have success in the NFL especially with a QB like Luck.  I think they would focus on acquiring talent to fit their offense and demanding proper execution.  I think that would bode very well for us with Luck behind center. 

I could be wrong but I just don't see Harbaugh ever being a head coach in Indy. His personality seems to be he wants control and don't liked being controlled at all. He would never get that type of control here.

3 hours ago, CF4L said:

I do agree with that. I’d like to see Luck become more of a take charge guy. He’s the face of the franchise and probably has more longevity here than most, other than AC & AV.  I’d like to see him take full control of the offense. Picking up blitzes better pre snap and calling hot routes to exploit them. Also, more holding others accountable for their screw ups. He may do that now but it doesn’t seem like that’s been his personality. I’d like to see a little more angry and controlling Luck. I truly believe an OC like McDaniels can get that out of Luck. Peyton had Tom Moore. Andrew has had 1 season of BA then Pep & Chud. I’d love to see what a guy like McDaniels can get out of Luck. 

4 hours ago, a06cc said:

Andrew had asked for better offensive lineman last season while Ryan was here in charge. That’s why we seen that heavy draft of them. Did it work... no! But he isn’t as quite as some of you think. Also I heard that Andrew didn’t like Jim. He was going to not commit senior year if JH was going to return. He liked David Shaw and communicated with him more. 

I’m not a big fan of Harbaugh anymore. I used to be but I think that ship has sailed. Plus he seems to wear out his welcome after a few years. And we may have focused on the Oline in the draft but that’s only half the problem. The other half is scheme...  We need to run more bunches, rubs, screens, & flares. More quick hitters like slants. Exploit linebackers with our backs.  

There’s an OC in New England who has mastered that type of quick hitting offense. I also love the way his gameplans are opponent specific.  One week the Pats May throw it 50 times. 20 to their backs. The next week they may rush it 30 Plus times. That specificity and adaptability is what I want and what this team needs. 

A little off topic, but what happened to the kid(QB) from Avon who was putting up big numbers here in high school a couple years ago?  I think he committed to Michigan & just disappeared. Why hasn’t Jim improved that kid and got something out of him?  He seemed like such a natural thrower of the ball. He should be putting up big numbers at Michigan. Was the kid not that good or is Jim’s offense not maximizing the kid’s talents?

On 11/5/2017 at 10:12 PM, ReMeDy said:

500x500-2016-headshots-coaches-josh-mcda

"I like the way you think! Feed me!"

I wouldn't count on it. McDaniels isn't going to take a coaching job where there's a GM in place. He'll want full roster control. Look at what he did in Denver... trading Marshall, Cutler, etc. 

Irsay is also going to scare some candidates away. 

7 minutes ago, GoPats said:

I wouldn't count on it. McDaniels isn't going to take a coaching job where there's a GM in place. He'll want full roster control. Look at what he did in Denver... trading Marshall, Cutler, etc. 

Bahaha good one 

17 minutes ago, GoPats said:

I wouldn't bet on either of those.

18 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

That tampa 2 style didn't work that why we got rid of it in the first place.

it works if you can get a pass rush from the front four

you need a good mlb and safetys too, corners and olbs are less important 

it can be a cheaper defense with the idea that you give up yards, but hopefully not TDs as dungy always said

2 hours ago, TheMarine said:

My staff atm would be

HC: Russ Grimm, who'd also coach O-Line
OC: Frank Reich, OC Philly
DC: Wade Phillips. Seriously, one of the best D Coordinators ever. Pay whatever you'd need to get him here

This will never happen because OCs and DCs don't leave jobs for the same job unless they are fired.  Personally I want Reich or McDaniels as head coach.  I don't think Pags, even if we some how miraculously go 8-8, comes back.  There is no way.  He mismanages to many games and for those of you who think he's a good head coach please just look at him on the sideline and in press conferences.. He looks like a scared puppy dog who has no clue what he is doing.

4 minutes ago, GoPats said:

You could be right, I admit both points are purely speculative on my part. I just don't see him entering a situation where he can't set his own roster. 

Ballard is very good at working with his coach for his roster. Defensively, McDaniels and him won't have a clash since McDaniels has seen the Chiefs give the Patriots enough fits with their style of D, so he will let Ballard go with minimal opposition on the defensive choices. On the offensive choices, Ballard will defer to McDaniels more since McDaniels will be the one maximizing the talents on the Colts roster offensively, and complementary pieces/traits will definitely be preferred by Josh there.

McDaniels has also mellowed down over the years, learning from his first stint with the Broncos, he is not nearly the control freak he was then. He has learnt that relationships with players and staff are more important when things go south in a season or two. So, I think he will get assurances from Irsay that he will be given 5 or 6 years, whatever makes him happy, to let him know the Colts commit to him. 

10 hours ago, GoPats said:

I disagree with what you say.  I think this time around, McDaniels will be more contented within his role and more willing to delegate.  I can’t recall all of the specifics, but awhile back I read an article about McDaniels and all of the mistakes and lessons learned in his stint as HC in Denver. I suspect he’ll be much better his 2nd time as a head coach.  I’d want him to be the OC as well, with an assistant OC to help out.  Offensive game planning and play calling would have to remain in his hands, though.  

8 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I like McDaniels as well.  He needs to be a successful HC before he gets total control, ala Parcells and Favres old coach at Green Bay and Seattle.  So, I think he would consider it only if Luck is here.

if luck is done who coaches does not matter

David Shaw? Are you kidding? He cost his team yet another win with his 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality. He does not translate to the NFL. College coach all the way. And struggling right now as well. 

Josh McDaniel is the best possible choice. His history parallels Bellichek's. Bill B. failed badly in Cleveland but learned from it. Very similar to what McDaniel has experienced. If you read the articles about him today, you will be convinced that he has learned his lessons. And become a better man and coach in the process. He'd be terrific for the Colts. 

12 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I disagree with what you say.  I think this time around, McDaniels will be more contented within his role and more willing to delegate.  I can’t recall all of the specifics, but awhile back I read an article about McDaniels and all of the mistakes and lessons learned in his stint as HC in Denver. I suspect he’ll be much better his 2nd time as a head coach.  I’d want him to be the OC as well, with an assistant OC to help out.  Offensive game planning and play calling would have to remain in his hands, though.  

Spot on. Now i don't see him coming here but... You know he would have to be totally impressed and in tune with the GM.
And i could see Ballard being that guy.

14 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Yes, give him an Andy Reid mold.  HC/OC but still have an OC to help with preparation and another set of eye balls never hurts when you trust the guy.  Who he would pick as the DC is what baffles me.  He has ties with some good names but not sure he could pull them over from another team.  Steve Spagnuolo would be someone I wouldn't mind to be honest.  Not that it would be possible, but who knows.  This is all hypothetical right!

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ahhhh.....    uhhhh....    ehhhhhh.....

If Luck is done, WHO coaches next matters more than ever!

Nothing would be more important.

I was under the impression you are only a Colt fan while Luck is here.  The whole Stanford thing.  This board lost a few Tennessee Vol fans when Peyton left. 

1 hour ago, LockeDown said:

I was under the impression you are only a Colt fan while Luck is here.  The whole Stanford thing.  This board lost a few Tennessee Vol fans when Peyton left. 

That's probably the case, but I truly hope that decision won't have to be made for many more years.

I'd love for Luck to stick it out and bring Indianapolis another Super Bowl.    From everything I've ever read and heard, Andrew loves Indianapolis,  so I'd love to see him bring the Colts another title.

I don't want him to force his way out of town and I don't see that happening. 

I know I rub some here the wrong way,  but on balance I'm actually quite fond of this little community...    I hope I can stay for many more years without making poor Nadine's head go........

:explode: