Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Coach.

Matabix

I like Coach Pagano, but reality is he's most likely out. So time to think about a new coach and what this team needs. I think we need an innovative young offensive minded coach. We need to show some of these NFL defenses something they haven't seen. I would like to keep Coach Philbin as OC/OL coach. Experience playcaller, but calling someone else's play style. Would like to keep a 3/4 defense. Or back to Indy2 D(cheaper defense).

Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Matabix said:

I like Coach Pagano, but reality is he's most likely out. So time to think about a new coach and what this team needs. I think we need an innovative young offensive minded coach. We need to show some of these NFL defenses something they haven't seen. I would like to keep Coach Philbin as OC/OL coach. Experience playcaller, but calling someone else's play style. Would like to keep a 3/4 defense. Or back to Indy2 D(cheaper defense).

Just my 2 cents.

c'mon

25 minutes ago, Matabix said:

Just my 2 cents.

Miami went that route. Not really working out well for them. 

I want a carefully chosen retread coach. We do not have time for someone to come in here and learn on the job. 

Preferably not a retread.

I think this team needs a disciplinarian. The easy going coach worked when you had a QB who demanded excellence.

This team seems too easy going and laid back overall. Tends to lead to mistakes and lack of discipline on the field.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I want a carefully chosen retread coach. We do not have time for someone to come in here and learn on the job. 

Sean McVay says hello. 

Just messing around, but for every example of a coach that didn’t work out there is one that did.  I like your idea of a retread coach..like Josh McDaniels and let him bring in a good DC. 

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

Just my 2 cents.

If the Colts keep winning and make it an 8 and 8 season a lot of people are gonna be plenty disappointed when Pagano and his inefficient offense stays in Indy.

I for one hope it doesn't happen but I for sure don't want Indy to win any more games because of it.  I could care less about the draft pick.  I want a better offense.  And it's real hard to say let's cut a coach who got an even season with a backup QB, tons of injured players in a strengthened division. 

Food for thought.

1 minute ago, Surge89 said:

If the Colts keep winning and make it an 8 and 8 season a lot of people are gonna be plenty disappointed when Pagano and his inefficient offense stays in Indy.

I for one hope it doesn't happen but I for sure don't want Indy to win any more games because of it.  I could care less about the draft pick.  I want a better offense.  And it's real hard to say let's cut a coach who got an even season with a backup QB, tons of injured players in a strengthened division. 

Food for thought.

I don't see anyway he stays unless we win the Division and that would take a miracle. If we win the Division without Luck then he deserves to be back but it wont happen.

16 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Food for thought.

If he goes 8-8 he will get some coach of the year votes. 

2 hours ago, CF4L said:

Preferably not a retread.

I think this team needs a disciplinarian. The easy going coach worked when you had a QB who demanded excellence.

This team seems too easy going and laid back overall. Tends to lead to mistakes and lack of discipline on the field.

Who was the easy going coach who had the QB who demanded excellence?  You referring to Dungy & Peyton?  If so, you give Peyton too much credit and not enough to Dungy...   I remember the easy going coach who demanded excellence from his QB & everyone else on the team. In fact, the demand of excellence came from Polian, Dungy, the rest of our coaching staff and then Peyton.

Dungy’s Colts were never known as teams that lacked discipline.  Not the kind of man Dungy was, most definitely not the kind of coach he was, nor the types of teams he coached.  His style empowered many to become better leaders and it showed throughout the team.  We could use another coach like Dungy right now. We have a lot of guys that could use some more maturity and fundamental growth.  I’m not sure we’re getting all of those things from this staff. 

But it I will give Chuck some credit.  Just like in his battle with cancer, he took it on and wouldn’t quit. I can say the same for his Colt’s teams. They may not be the most fundamentally sound or well prepared and may even get blown out on any given Sunday but they will show up the next week and fight...  When you look at the big picture, his teams have never quit on him. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see anyway he stays unless we win the Division and that would take a miracle. If we win the Division without Luck then he deserves to be back but it wont happen.

Irsay said nothing about winning the division. That's speculation.  And the Broncos, Ravens, Texans look mighty weak right now and we always do well against the Titans.  Everyone seems like it's a certainty Pagano is gone and I'm definitely not there.  Even a 7-9 season is really good ammo for a coach who got little help from draft picks, no starting QB, and multiple injured veterans like Vontae.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

If he goes 8-8 he will get some coach of the year votes. 

Don't be sensational but if you don't see how it's possible for this team to get 4 more wins then I'm not sure what to tell ya.  And all it takes is for the jaguars and Bills (both teams who know how to throw away games) to have a crap day and we might even be 9 and 7.

All I'm saying is Pagano has hope here and imo that's not necessarily a good thing for the future of Indy.

16 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Don't be sensational but if you don't see how it's possible for this team to get 4 more wins then I'm not sure what to tell ya.  And all it takes is for the jaguars and Bills (both teams who know how to throw away games) to have a crap day and we might even be 9 and 7.

All I'm saying is Pagano has hope here and imo that's not necessarily a good thing for the future of Indy.

We would have to win 5 of the last 7 to get to 8-8. If we finish 8-8 then Chuck would have pulled off a miracle. 

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

We would have to win 5 of the last 7 to get to 8-8. If we finish 8-8 then Chuck would have pulled off a miracle. 

Here's the issue with the "miracle".... It's really not that hard.  Texans are done we probably win there.  The Broncos can't score so a win there.  The Ravens are finding ways to lose this season and Harbaugh has an awfully warm seat.  We always play well vs the Titans, and the Bills and Jags are 2 teams that could very easily throw away a game.  

That's 3 high percentage wins, 2 low percentage and one higher than 50 percent win in our future. 5 wins isn't as hard of a number to hit as you make it sound. 

Also let's not forget that Pagano's teams have a tendency to play better down the stretch... ugh just typing this is getting me nervous. 

I'm not fond of the topic, as I can still see it going either way, but when we talk about posible replacements, how come Lovie Smith doesn't come up?

Also, he's worked with Ballard before, right?

I care for the choice, myself, as he never had an offense, and I think those things are by design, but it seems odd he's not mentioned.

37 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Irsay said nothing about winning the division. That's speculation.  And the Broncos, Ravens, Texans look mighty weak right now and we always do well against the Titans.  Everyone seems like it's a certainty Pagano is gone and I'm definitely not there.  Even a 7-9 season is really good ammo for a coach who got little help from draft picks, no starting QB, and multiple injured veterans like Vontae.

Irsay may have never of said it but common sense says he's gone if we don't win the Division. You want him gone so bad you are being paranoid now coming up with scenario's to why we might keep him, like 7-9 stuff haha. Ballard wants his Coach in here, any new GM does. Now if we win the Division we should keep him as that would be one hell of a Coaching Job with Luck not playing.

14 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Here's the issue with the "miracle".... It's really not that hard.  Texans are done we probably win there.  The Broncos can't score so a win there.  The Ravens are finding ways to lose this season and Harbaugh has an awfully warm seat.  We always play well vs the Titans, and the Bills and Jags are 2 teams that could very easily throw away a game.  

That's 3 high percentage wins, 2 low percentage and one higher than 50 percent win in our future. 5 wins isn't as hard of a number to hit as you make it sound. 

Also let's not forget that Pagano's teams have a tendency to play better down the stretch... ugh just typing this is getting me nervous. 

If Pagano leads this team to 8-8 then we better offer him a 5 year extension, because teams in need of a coach will be lining up for him, and rightfully so. 

To win 8 games with this team (and no Luck), would be extraordinary. I dare say it will take an elite coach to pull it off. 

But it doesn’t matter, because we’re a team that will win 4-5 games, at best. 

20 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I'm not fond of the topic, as I can still see it going either way, but when we talk about posible replacements, how come Lovie Smith doesn't come up?

Also, he's worked with Ballard before, right?

I care for the choice, myself, as he never had an offense, and I think those things are by design, but it seems odd he's not mentioned.

I don’t see it. Lovie has only won 5 games at Illinois over the past two years. He was fired after only 2 seasons in Tampa, sporting an 8-24 record. He has not had a winning season since he coached the Bears in 2012. 

Some might find it interesting that his QB is Jeff George Jr though.

It’s a no for me. 

39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Irsay may have never of said it but common sense says he's gone if we don't win the Division. You want him gone so bad you are being paranoid now coming up with scenario's to why we might keep him, like 7-9 stuff haha. Ballard wants his Coach in here, any new GM does. Now if we win the Division we should keep him as that would be one hell of a Coaching Job with Luck not playing.

Pagano winning 8 games is not out of the question. He did it before with 5 different QBs. That was without any sort of defense and offensive line. I know it's popular to say Pagano needs fired but there have been times when this team could have packed it in but didn't because of Pagano.

Do I know the answers? Hades no but sometimes when you get what you want it don't work out like you expect. The grass may be greener on the other side till you find out it's crab grass.

54 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pagano winning 8 games is not out of the question. He did it before with 5 different QBs. That was without any sort of defense and offensive line. I know it's popular to say Pagano needs fired but there have been times when this team could have packed it in but didn't because of Pagano.

Do I know the answers? Hades no but sometimes when you get what you want it don't work out like you expect. The grass may be greener on the other side till you find out it's crab grass.

I like Chuck actually and think he is mid pack in Coaches. I don't think he is Great but I don't think he sucks either. I Posted earlier if Luck was playing I think we would be 6-3 instead of 3-6. We could get a better Coach than Chuck but we also could get worse. I don't have the answers either. I do believe Grigson was the bigger problem and Chuck hasn't had his QB all season so he has been at a disadvantage. I am not for tanking 99.9% of the time, it is a losers mentality. Only time I didn't mind losing was in 2011 once we got to 0-8 because I knew Luck was coming out and the season was toast, other than I hate losing. I am thrilled we went into Houston and won today. We basically just screwed their season up, they deserve it after beating us the last 2 years :thmup:

5 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Innovative, young, offensive minded coach? Eagles and 9ers tried that with Chip Kelly just saying

To be really fair you should also just say that the Eagles and Rams are currently doing very nicely with young offensive minded coaches.

You know, only if you wanted to be fair. Just saying. 

4 hours ago, Surge89 said:

Were they to somehow beat Pittsburgh, then I might start to believe they could rattle off some victories.  If they lose by 3 TDs, then we're headed for a top-5 pick.

The wildcard is Brissett.  He's a young QB.  What if it clicks and he makes a sudden leap?  If he stops turning the ball over and the Colts get consistent offense, who knows.

9 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

The Rams also went that route.  Working out pretty darn good for them, no?  6-2 and atop the NFC West above the Seahawks.

And McVay has been doing it with a 2nd-year QB, too.

54 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

The Rams also went that route.  Working out pretty darn good for them, no?  6-2 and atop the NFC West above the Seahawks.

I think you're going to be more likely to find success from head coaches with experience. A lot of head coaches do better the second time around. Not many are first time success stories. And McVay is doing well now, but has less than a year in so it's hard to truly measure him.

7 hours ago, Swan Ronson said:

To be really fair you should also just say that the Eagles and Rams are currently doing very nicely with young offensive minded coaches.

You know, only if you wanted to be fair. Just saying. 

There's nothing wrong with being offensive minded and young. Chip Kelly's problem was the "innovative" part where he tried to bring the fast college play style to the NFL. 

4 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I've always said the Jeff Fisher was holding the Rams back.  Before we played the Rams this season, a lot of people on this forum were overlooking the Rams and I posted on here that a change of coach would make that team play better.  

I just don't think Pagano is the one who will get the Colts over the top even with Luck.  Yes, with Pagano will may always have a chance to win the division but I just don't see him getting this team to a point where they will be competing for a #1 or #2 seed.  

10 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

If Pagano leads this team to 8-8 then we better offer him a 5 year extension, because teams in need of a coach will be lining up for him, and rightfully so. 

To win 8 games with this team (and no Luck), would be extraordinary. I dare say it will take an elite coach to pull it off. 

But it doesn’t matter, because we’re a team that will win 4-5 games, at best. 

I might put that number at 6 with our roster injuries and turnover . 

17 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Innovative, young, offensive minded coach? Eagles and 9ers tried that with Chip Kelly just saying

8 hours ago, zibby43 said:

SF is also going that route. And despite having no talent on offense (outside of Hyde) and no QB, they aren't much worse than the Colts on offense. I would have loved to get Shanahan.

Whoever they hire needs to be an OC though. Tired of these defensive-minded HCs.