Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Notre Dame offensive tackle

Mike McGlinchey is 6'8" and 315...

Kiper ranks him 9th overall, and the top tackle and top lineman. 

McShay ranks him 16th overall and the 2nd tackle behind Williams of Texas and the third lineman overall behind also Quentin Nelson also of Notre Dame.

These rankings are very fluid.   Players will go up and down in November and then change more based on the bowl game.

Also rankings will change with all-star games in January, the combine in February,  and pro days in March.   So there is a long, Long, LONG time for rankings to change.

And they WILL change.

McGlinchey is very good.   He's a first round talent.    But lineman are likely to be drafted somewhat higher in 18 than their ranking might suggest. 

Every team is is looking for them. And 17 was an historically bad year for o-lineman.

So McGlinchey WILL go high.   How high is the question... 

9 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

For those of you in state that follow Notre Dame how good is the Notre Dame offense of tackle being Pushed as a first round draft choice. 

He's an absolute stud and the epitome of a high-character guy.  He would immediately become the leader in the locker room.  He would also immediately start at LT.

8 hours ago, Solon said:

I thought it was the right guard? That dude was a mauler.

It's the left guard, Quenton Nelson.

Guards aren't usually considered top 10 picks, but Nelson is considered a top 5 picks.  He's that physical.  Insane at the point of attack and finishes guys to the ground.  Super athletic, too.

I'd prefer to get the tackle so we can shore up the RT position.  Plus if you give him a year to start at RT then you can potentially look to swap him and Castonzo in year 2 and put Castonzo at RT.  

This will likely only happen if we don't draft pass rush.  If we're drafting in the top 5 we need to either go pass rush or trade down.  

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

Thanks for the insight. I say we have to go Oline in first round. It is time to fix the line. 

I have been working on my telepathic abilities and have started my day by facing Indianapolis and repeating McGlinchey's name in hopes Ballard will pick up on it and be convinced there is no other move to make in April.  I agree with you - if not now, when?  If losing Luck for an entire year isn't the final straw, well, then, I don't think anything will reinforce how critically important building this OL is to the success of the franchise.  And taking the top LT, whether that's McGlinchey or someone else, moving Costanzo to RT, and then looking at a G later, maybe even in the second, for guys like Price from Ohio St (and of course now he's their C, so he provides flexibility too), or Braden Smith from Auburn, could be the kind of influx of talent that's been needed for, well, forever. 

7 hours ago, zibby43 said:

He's an absolute stud and the epitome of a high-character guy.  He would immediately become the leader in the locker room.  He would also immediately start at LT.

It's the left guard, Quenton Nelson.

Guards aren't usually considered top 10 picks, but Nelson is considered a top 5 picks.  He's that physical.  Insane at the point of attack and finishes guys to the ground.  Super athletic, too.

I have been watching Notre Dame football this season and one of my best friends is a big Notre Dame fan. I can tell you, unequivocally, what was written about Quenton Nelson is the absolute truth.  even though he is an OG he is worthy of a top-5 pick

2 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Wouldn't it be nice if we got the number 1 pick and traded down with the browns and picked up both ND linemen in the first?

I do like Connor Williams more than McGlinchey at OT, but man getting the OL taken care of with high impact players would go a long way for this team. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

I do like Connor Williams more than McGlinchey at OT, but man getting the OL taken care of with high impact players would go a long way for this team. 

Ya I love Barkley and we likely have a shot at picking him, but I don't think we have the luxury to pick him given our situation. Trading down and building a wall for Luck is ideal

14 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Did McGlinchey go againt the real good NC State player (Chubbs? ) IS so how did he do? 

He did well. I saw Chubbs go against both Nelson & McGlinchey. Sometimes ND had a TE next to McGlinchey to chip Chubbs, but that was due to the specific play they were running. I would rather have Nelson. Dude is elite! I think McGlinchey is a RT in the NFL.

Sold! ...

Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame: Is a guard worth taking in the top five? What if that guard is a pretty good bet to be an All-Pro, and tons of teams need offensive line help? Irish left tackle Mike McGlinchey gets more attention, but Nelson might be the best lineman in college football and won’t last long in April. One veteran evaluator said “he’s better than half the NFL at his position right now.

Ballard was at a Notre Dame game this season too. I think we have to start throwing positional value out of the window. Nelson is a better football player than any of the Top QBs. Same with Barkley. I like McGlinchey too. But Nelson is an elite talent that will likely be available to the Colts. That’s what drafting is about.

Get the special player vs more draft picks. Grab the best players at position of need in free agency and then pick  BPA in draft. This team needs special talent. You get a rare chance this year with a top pick. Don't mess up by trying to get another second rounder and dropping down to the middle of the first round. You control your destiny with the high pick. You hope to get lucky wirh a mid round pick. If Nelson is that good then you draft him and don't look back. 

2 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Can we take Nelson in the first and still have a shot at one of the three top tackles in the 2nd, Kid from TX, ND or OKL.

A lot can change between now and the draft but with the demand for OL, especially OT, I'd say highly unlikely.

11 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Can we take Nelson in the first and still have a shot at one of the three top tackles in the 2nd, Kid from TX, ND or OKL.

Not likely....

When there are good O-lineman,  they will fly off the board....   tyically 5-6 OT's can go in a 1st round.  

Hoping to get one of the top 3 OT's near the top of the 2nd round is mostly wishful thinking.     A long shot at best.

Sorry.....    wish it wasn't so....

Nelson seems like the kind of beast of a lineman the Colts have been missing for years!  I don't normally advocate drafting positionally, but if the Colts don't spend at least 3 early round picks on OL, they have failed this city.  (LOL)  I don't know prospects that well during the season due to too many games to watch, but during the combine is when I'll have an idea who I'd like for the Colts to pick.  But I enjoy reading your guys' ideas.

20 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

The kid from Oklahoma is Orlando Brown. He’s the only one of the three you mentioned that might be available. But another guy that seems to fly under the radar that could be there the top of the 2nd is Trey Adams from Washington.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The kid from Oklahoma is Orlando Brown. He’s the only one of the three you mentioned that might be available. But another guy that seems to fly under the radar that could be there the top of the 2nd is Trey Adams from Washington.

I believe Adams is leaning toward returning to school....

Now,  that could change,  but that's what came out after he injured his knee.

7 hours ago, indyman411 said:

Nelson seems like the kind of beast of a lineman the Colts have been missing for years!  I don't normally advocate drafting positionally, but if the Colts don't spend at least 3 early round picks on OL, they have failed this city.  (LOL)  I don't know prospects that well during the season due to too many games to watch, but during the combine is when I'll have an idea who I'd like for the Colts to pick.  But I enjoy reading your guys' ideas.

If yiou're sincere that the Colts should spend 3 early round picks on the OL,  then I think you're going to be disappointed.

We have too many other needs as well.

I suspect we will use our first round pick on an O-lineman and also grab some guards in free agency.    

That's how I believe we will address our line....

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If yiou're sincere that the Colts should spend 3 early round picks on the OL,  then I think you're going to be disappointed.

We have too many other needs as well.

I suspect we will use our first round pick on an O-lineman and also grab some guards in free agency.    

That's how I believe we will address our line....

Agreed. They’ll spend 2 at the most and it might not be both in the first 3 rounds. They could get Nelson in the 1st and a tackle in round 4. Or they might just draft one.

NCF, I don't expect them to do that.  I know we have other needs, but I think if we can shore up the OL, maybe, just MAYBE, Luck's career won't be any shorter than necessary.  I want them to get more aggressive OL with mean streaks to pancake people and open holes.  It's not realistic, just my wish.  Honestly, I'd like to see us trade some players (Davis, Gore) w/ value to get additional picks. I'm not a GM, just playing one on this board.  LOL

On 11/5/2017 at 8:20 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Not likely....

When there are good O-lineman,  they will fly off the board....   tyically 5-6 OT's can go in a 1st round.  

Hoping to get one of the top 3 OT's near the top of the 2nd round is mostly wishful thinking.     A long shot at best.

Sorry.....    wish it wasn't so....

Billy Price and Will Hernandez seem pretty good at G position and one or both of them is likely to be there at the top of the second. If we really want to address the O-Line we might go Connor Williams(or whoever we have ranked as best OT) in the first then pick one of the guards in the second. Add a high end guard in free agency and we might be close to securing a good O-line. 

Walterfootball is suggesting some team have Connor Williams ranked as a mid-rounder which IMO is insane. Thy didn't like his strength they say. If we knew that somehow he will drop to the second we might go Nelson first, Williams second. BTW according to reports he's close to returning to play. I'd love to see him play after his injury,,,

Another option for OT is Chukwuma Okorafor. He might be a day 2 prospect and good pairing with Nelson as a 1-2 draft combo to address the Oline. 

4 hours ago, indyman411 said:

NCF, I don't expect them to do that.  I know we have other needs, but I think if we can shore up the OL, maybe, just MAYBE, Luck's career won't be any shorter than necessary.  I want them to get more aggressive OL with mean streaks to pancake people and open holes.  It's not realistic, just my wish.  Honestly, I'd like to see us trade some players (Davis, Gore) w/ value to get additional picks. I'm not a GM, just playing one on this board.  LOL

The nastiest lineman in the draft is Nelson. He buries people into the turf. Haven’t seen an o-lineman with that type of aggressiveness since Jack Conklin at MSU.

I love the LG, Quenton Nelson, but looking at tape, McGlinchey just doesn't look all to great. Just look at his totally missed block here. The EDGE guy, #84, should be left alone for the start of the play, as it is a option to the quarterback going the opposite direction, meaning the line must shift to block the player to their right, but McGlinchey has nobody to block off the snap, so in that case, he needs to read, then, after seeing nobody coming to his hole, instead of going upfield to a guy he barely even gets a hand on, he needs to get back and block the back-side incase the play breaks down, which it does here. If McGlinchey would have set that block, the quarterback would have had the potential to pick up a few yards and maybe even the first down, but instead, gets taken down for a big loss on third down. 

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah he seems pretty good too. I think he’s probably the 2nd best guard in the class. He’s probably a 2nd round pick. I’d take him if Nelson is gone.

Hard to say until combine and pro days.  You have guys like Billy Price, Tyrone Crowder, and Damian Prince who will be looked at for sure based on team and competition they play.  There are some good players that will go mid rounds 2-5 at both OG and OT in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Hard to say until combine and pro days.  You have guys like Billy Price, Tyrone Crowder, and Damian Prince who will be looked at for sure based on team and competition they play.  There are some good players that will go mid rounds 2-5 at both OG and OT in my opinion.

Which would be ideal. We need to focus on finding 2 athletic ILBs and another pass rusher in addition to an OG and OT. Would be nice to find a 4th or 5th round lineman who could start.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Which would be ideal. We need to focus on finding 2 athletic ILBs and another pass rusher in addition to an OG and OT. Would be nice to find a 4th or 5th round lineman who could start.

Good thing is FA starts before the draft.  There will be plenty of time before the draft to see what key areas need to be targeted.  Not that they will be but at least we will see how the line is looking.

9 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Remember...   every draft pick you use on offense is another pick we're not using on defense.

I'm not trying to state the obvious,  I'm only saying this is why our defense is where it is right now...

So,  some of our problems,  especiallly on offense,  are going to have to be addressed by free agency... 

Just food for thought..

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember...   every draft pick you use on offense is another pick we're not using on defense.

I'm not trying to state the obvious,  I'm only saying this is why our defense is where it is right now...

So,  some of our problems,  especiallly on offense,  are going to have to be addressed by free agency... 

Just food for thought..

No I hear you man. I’d love nothing more than to just load up on defense. However no amount of defensive help is going to prevent Luck from tearing his labrum. Better coaching and play design can fix some of our OL issues but a lot of it is lack of talent.