Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Garoppolo traded to the 49ers

RockThatBlue

Part of me wonders why BB did this move? San Fran must have really offered Kraft & company a really sweet deal. 

Does this mean when Brady's done playing the Grey Hoodie will ride off into the NFL sunset too now? 

I'm just stunned by this trade because usually I dismiss whatever Skip Bayless says, but his theory that Bill wanted to prove to the world that he could win a ring without Brady made sense. Plus, Bill's son works for the franchise too. 

If Brady gets hurt now, they are so screwed. No insurance policy at all. Zip, zilch, nada baby. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Part of me wonders why BB did this move? San Fran must have really offered Kraft & company a really sweet deal. 

Does this mean when Brady's done playing the Grey Hoodie will ride off into the NFL sunset too now? 

I'm just stunned by this trade because usually I dismiss whatever Skip Bayless says, but his theory that Bill wanted to prove to the world that he could win a ring without Brady made sense. Plus, Bill's son works for the franchise too. 

If Brady gets hurt now, they are so screwed. No insurance policy at all. Zip, zilch, nada baby. 

A #2 pick from the 49ers is nothing more than a late #1 as far as the Pats are concerned. It will more than likely be pick 33-35 at worst. I am sure JP wanted to move on to a team he had a chance to start and his contract is winding down.

I laughed so hard NFL Network Insider reporter Ian Rapoport said maybe BB will trade with the Niners for 1 of their QBs. All their field generals blow, unless they wanna bring Brian Hoyer back into the Boston fold. Nah, never gonna happen.

Yeah right, an 0-7 record dictates tremendous QB play right Ian? :sarcasm:

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

A #2 pick from the 49ers is nothing more than a late #1 as far as the Pats are concerned. It will more than likely be pick 33-35 at worst. I am sure JP wanted to move on to a team he had a chance to start and his contract is winding down.

I'm with ya on Jimmy G's rookie contract was up & he wanted to actually start CC1. I also know that BB doesn't usually pay top dollar for backups.

Honestly, part of me wonders if Mike Shanahan didn't reach out on his son's behalf since both Mike & Bill have tremendous respect for 1 another's football expertise. I know Kyle can handle his own business & all, but those 2 coaches have a mutual admiration society with each other from way back. 

Hard to believe Jimmy G has 2 SB rings as a backup. Great work if ya can find it. haha

9 hours ago, Jules said:

Pats sent Jamie Collins last year to the Browns and this year Jimmy G to the 49ers.

They have no heart.

:(

Part of me thinks the Pats try to swing a move for another trade before the deadline. Or this has to do with JG also having to get paid next year and the Pats are still very confident in 40 year old yoga/tofu boy.

They tried to re-sign him but Jimmy would not, why would he? He wants to explore the market. The 49ers get to see how good he really is before committing money and he is betting on himself.

49ers gain a potential franchise QB, and everyone wins, IMO. The only case Jimmy loses is if he crashes and burns in the last 7 games as a 49er thus reducing his own value.

13 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Who is the backup QB for the Pats now?

The Niners cut Brian Hoyer.   Hoyer has extensive time in the Patriots offense so I'm guessing they'll end up picking him up off the waiver wire.    Unless some other team wants to be screw them over and makes the waiver claim before them.

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I laughed so hard NFL Network Insider reporter Ian Rapoport said maybe BB will trade with the Niners for 1 of their QBs. All their field generals blow, unless they wanna bring Brian Hoyer back into the Boston fold. Nah, never gonna happen.

Yeah right, an 0-7 record dictates tremendous QB play right Ian? :sarcasm:

I think they will sign Brian Hoyer for this year only.   Most logical choice because he knows their offense.

JG actually has a lot of upside. If the 49ers think he can be the guy (and he really does have that upside, I'm not just saying that because he's a young QB...most young QBs don't have a lot of potential, that's just the nature of the beast) then they can use their top 3 or 5 pick on something more productive and still have a starting QB.

4 hours ago, southwest1 said:

If Brady gets hurt, they're as screwed now as they were yesterday. I wish Garoppolo well - he's earned the right to go play. But I think it's naive to think there wouldn't be a MAJOR drop-off from Brady to pretty much anyone. Jimmy G played an ok game vs AZ last year, then had an amazing one quarter of football vs Miami before getting injured. That's just not enough for me to say "that's a guy who can win a Super Bowl". We've all seen too many cases where short term success ends up being a mirage. Brock Osweiler is the most recent, high profile example of it, but the NFL is littered with these stories.

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

So, I take it that Kirk Cousins won't be reuniting with WR Pierre Garçon next yr? 

Well, I'll be darned, I thought Cousins in the Bay was a done deal next season. 

I read somewhere that Cousins and Shanahan have the same agent.. you know...

And Lynch may not want to  give 30M per year and 100M guaranteed for Cousins or whatever when their roster is at the state that it is.

patriots-35.png  Patriots | Malcolm Butler may be dealt    Tue Oct 31, 11:34 AM

The New England Patriots may deal CB Malcolm Butler before the trade deadline at 4 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 31.

Footballguys view: There were talks a week ago about the Patriots perhaps extending Butler. Now that QB Jimmy Garoppolo has been dealt to the 49ers, there's a chance the Patriots could place the franchise tag on Butler for 2018 if they don't trade him and can't work out an extension.

Link to story
Malcolm Butler player page

Wonder if we'd have any interest in picking up Butler in a swap or something?

18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Wow,     they have traded their backup and the 3rd string qb in the first half of the season.      I bet they could have got a first before the draft

They basically got a first...and they had a back up for half the season...win win. I guess Hoyer will be going back to NE as a back up.

I like the trade.  JImmy G. was likely not going to be here next year.  Given that we traded Jacoby B. to the colts before the season started we needed to keep Jimmy G. for some time.  Although we may not have received as much in return from a draft pick standpoint had we traded earlier, we did get Brian Hoyer effectively in the trade as he likely would not have been cut has Jimmy G. gone to another team. 

It looks like the Pats feel Brady will play at least a few more years.  The will look for his replacement in the next year or two.  Pats have been spending high draft stock on back up QBs in the last 5-8 years and will do so again. 

13 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

I like the trade.  JImmy G. was likely not going to be here next year.  Given that we traded Jacoby B. to the colts before the season started we needed to keep Jimmy G. for some time.  Although we may not have received as much in return from a draft pick standpoint had we traded earlier, we did get Brian Hoyer effectively in the trade as he likely would not have been cut has Jimmy G. gone to another team. 

It looks like the Pats feel Brady will play at least a few more years.  The will look for his replacement in the next year or two.  Pats have been spending high draft stock on back up QBs in the last 5-8 years and will do so again. 

I think you guys did real good with the Jimmy G trade. The 49ers second pick will be more than likely just a late first round pick somewhere around 33 to 36 overall.

On a personal thought I think you guys got fleeced on the Jacoby pick. I could be wrong but IMO Dorsett will never fill a receiver need. We will see now that one of your starting receivers is down for a few weeks.

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you guys did real good with the Jimmy G trade. The 49ers second pick will be more than likely just a late first round pick somewhere around 33 to 36 overall.

On a personal thought I think you guys got fleeced on the Jacoby pick. I could be wrong but IMO Dorsett will never fill a receiver need. We will see now that one of your starting receivers is down for a few weeks.

Win some lose some as they say.

On JG Belichick spoke about this yesterday. He said they looked at snap shots through out his back up career here.

The window was getting small to move him hence the late move.

Personally I think he wanted to hold on to him for the last possible minute and see how Brady would play this year. .

56 minutes ago, -JJ- said:

Win some lose some as they say.

On JG Belichick spoke about this yesterday. He said they looked at snap shots through out his back up career here.

The window was getting small to move him hence the late move.

Personally I think he wanted to hold on to him for the last possible minute and see how Brady would play this year. .

Even though Jacoby has played well at times he still makes those rookie mistakes. I think that comes from not grasping how fast these defensive players can play. The game hasn't slowed down for him just yet.

We are also going to see how well Jimmy G. is going to react playing on a team that don't have the system set up like the Patriots do as far as the QB play. Jimmy G. looked pretty good in that system but history hasn't been kind to QBs that have come out of that system into a new one.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yah, I am not too worried about the Jimmy G. trade, we basically got back our 2nd rd pick we used on him and actually moved up some spots.  

Regarding Jacoby, I had thought he was going to be the one groomed to replace Brady as his rookie contract is up in 2019 and hand the team over to him.  He is a high character guy from what i hear.  There were rumors that he was not picking up our offense, but I liked him and wished we kept him. 

We needed a WR at the time.  We will see how he pans out, TE Allen is going as planned not doing a great amount.

Glad you guys got Jacoby, i am looking forward to follow his career.  

3 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

Regarding Jacoby, I had thought he was going to be the one groomed to replace Brady as his rookie contract is up in 2019 and hand the team over to him.  He is a high character guy from what i hear.  There were rumors that he was not picking up our offense, but I liked him and wished we kept him. 

JB looks like a brett favre type to me

i wonder if he was ever a good fit in the patriots offense 

thats different than whether he picked it up or not, but i started thinking about it because there is talk around here of the colts going after mcdaniels

This was a bit of a shocker (haven't been online much since early in the week)... 

Obviously the team feels as though Brady has at least 2-3 years left after this one. That's how long it'll take to draft and groom the "next" guy up. But it was a little surprising for two reasons:

1. Pre-draft talk had the Patriots turning down the #10 pick from Cleveland. So a second round pick seems like a light haul for a QB who was taken in the same round and has shown promise. 

2. What they got in return doesn't help them right now. They could use an edge rusher and at least one off-the-line linebacker. 

I think it was also SF specifically because Belichick figured (or was told) that Hoyer would be cut, and can step in immediately as a serviceable backup with experience in the system. 

On 10/30/2017 at 8:25 PM, jvan1973 said:

Wow,     they have traded their backup and the 3rd string qb in the first half of the season.      I bet they could have got a first before the draft

Hi -- Pats fan here.

NWIH the Patriots could trade Garoppolo in the offseason.  I know the fans wanted it, but no matter how much love you give TB12, you can't just leave yourself with no backup plan with a starter at Brady's age until you've seen the man play again after the superbowl.  There's a long history of quarterbacks who started to have issues after a Superbowl year, it puts a lot of extra wear and tear on the body and Brady is 40, even if he is a cyborg or something.

That said, once they saw what he could do and that he was fine I'm not surprised that they moved on from Garoppolo, who wanted to start and was starting to become very expensive and cap-unfriendly.  Brissett was a bigger surprise to me, if only because I felt he was still a bit wet behind the ears despite his good performance in an emergency last season.  I still think Brissett is about 2-3 years away from becoming what he's capable of, and thought that Belichick might groom him behind Brady.  Apparently not.

I can only imagine that Belichick is either very confident in Tom Brady going forward for at least the next 3 years, or he's got his eye on a rookie or two he really likes in the draft.

22 hours ago, aaron11 said:

JB looks like a brett favre type to me

i wonder if he was ever a good fit in the patriots offense 

thats different than whether he picked it up or not, but i started thinking about it because there is talk around here of the colts going after mcdaniels

That would be a good pick up for the colts if they could get McDaniels.  I know Jacoby is a high character guy.  Be a good combination

2 hours ago, GoPats said:

This was a bit of a shocker (haven't been online much since early in the week)... 

Obviously the team feels as though Brady has at least 2-3 years left after this one. That's how long it'll take to draft and groom the "next" guy up. But it was a little surprising for two reasons:

1. Pre-draft talk had the Patriots turning down the #10 pick from Cleveland. So a second round pick seems like a light haul for a QB who was taken in the same round and has shown promise. 

2. What they got in return doesn't help them right now. They could use an edge rusher and at least one off-the-line linebacker. 

I think it was also SF specifically because Belichick figured (or was told) that Hoyer would be cut, and can step in immediately as a serviceable backup with experience in the system. 

Yep, that was the key. I doubt Cleveland was willing to give up the #10 pick but then, its the Browns. :) 

The fact that Hoyer would be cut as a result, plus the fact that this is a QB heavy draft where they are very likely to land another 2nd round QB to groom is what I think prompted Belichick and folks to act. Garropolo's agent knew what Brock Osweiler got, so he knew what he could get with just a small sample space he had shown, and wasn't going to take discounts just to be a back up. Until Brady falls off the face of the earth w.r.t performance, Belichick will keep riding him, do you blame him? Brady does his part to keep himself available and able, so why not.

1 hour ago, Yehoodi said:

That would be a good pick up for the colts if they could get McDaniels.  I know Jacoby is a high character guy.  Be a good combination

it would be interesting to see i guess

i do wonder if he would come here

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

it would be interesting to see i guess

i do wonder if he would come here

I think he might.  My guess is that McDaniels is looking for the right spot and will likely wait for one that he likes.  although he is not a head coach, being in NE is not that bad.   He will likely be looking for a location with a great QB situation, which Indy has, and a team that has had success in the past, which Indy also has had in the past. 

1 hour ago, Yehoodi said:

I think he might.  My guess is that McDaniels is looking for the right spot and will likely wait for one that he likes.  although he is not a head coach, being in NE is not that bad.   He will likely be looking for a location with a great QB situation, which Indy has, and a team that has had success in the past, which Indy also has had in the past. 

I would love to see the offense they run in new England come here.   The only issue is it never seems  to look the same when the oc goes elsewhere.    I wouldn't hate it if they hired McDaniel.