Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Richardson runs wild in the CFL

CF4L

One of the worst trades in Colts history but its good that he's willing to go into the CFL(he probably didn't have much of a choice)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/28/trent-richardson-runs-wild-in-the-cfl/

Trent Richardson runs wild in the CFL

Trent Richardson has arrived, in Canada.

Richardson, the former Alabama star turned Browns and Colts bust, had a huge game in the Canadian Football League on Friday night, carrying 20 times for 127 yards and two touchdowns in leading the Saskatchewan Roughriders to a 37-12 win over the Montreal Alouettes. Richardson signed with the CFL because he wanted to show that he’s in shape and capable of playing at a high level, and he said after the game he thinks he’s done just that.

“It just pays off from hard work being in the Warehouse down in Birmingham, ” Richardson told TSN. “You know, fighting for my kids and fighting for myself.”

Richardson’s 127 yards were more than he ever had in an NFL game, and the most he’s had in any football game since he ran for 203 yards against Auburn in 2011. Saskatchewan is 3-1 since signing Richardson and has now clinched a spot in the playoffs.

7 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

20 carries for 127 yards is 'running wild'?

Yes. CFL is even more of a passing league than the NFL. They play an 18 game season and very rarely do RBs break 200 carries. Hard to rack up rush yards without carries.

In 18 games last yr, the CFL leading rusher (Jerome Messam) had less rush yds (1198) than 6 NFL RBs got in a 16 game season. Messam was also the CFL leader in carries at 206, which barely breaks the top 20 in the NFL despite having 2 more games to his name. 

Its just a different game up here. Having one less down to work with really forces you into passing situations quick. 

44 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Its just a different game up here. Having one less down to work with really forces you into passing situations quick. 

Okay, so my question is WHY is it a different game up there? It's like they're going out of their way to be different. Just make it the same downs, same rules, same everything. Soccer doesn't change the rules throughout the world, so why is Canada changing the rules on football?

19 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Okay, so my question is WHY is it a different game up there? It's like they're going out of their way to be different. Just make it the same downs, same rules, same everything. Soccer doesn't change the rules throughout the world, so why is Canada changing the rules on football?

I ask myself that question all the time haha

Im not a fan of the differences, but there is a large group of people up here that swear by it. They are often the die hard fans too so it wouldnt go over well if they changed.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Trent for MVP

Probably not, but interestingly enough former Colt tryout Duron Carter is arguably an MVP candidate if he and his team can keep it up. Hes been on fire the last few weeks. Put up over 200 yds recieving as a WR a few weeks ago, and then the next week started at CB and took an INT back 86 yds for a TD. Hes been a big part of the Roughriders turnaround this year. 

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

CFL actually came before the NFL. So I don't about them just changing the rules of football.

And they do that in other sports all the time. Hockey in Europe, specifically the KHL uses wider rinks compared to that in North America. 

Didn't he have a solid rookie year with the Browns?

If the freaking Browns were willing to trade T-Rich after a solid rookie season then they knew something about him that us Colts fans found out the hard way.

Grigson was probably the only GM dumb enough to give up a first-round pick for a guy like Richardson.

Bad trade by Grigson... I know that I was really hoping he'd pan out... even traded for him in my fantasy league that first year... 

I honestly hope for the very best for TR... Just like Jerry Hughes, or E. Dickerson... It sucks that we couldn't get the best out of these players, but they did their best when we had them. At some point, scouting and coaching become the issue... If TR (almost can't bring myself to say his name) shows enough up north to get himself a gig in the real league, I hope he dominates...

not his fault that his gifts were wasted on a subpar coaching staff (or two) that couldn't motivate or coach him up.... 

I'm squarely blaming Hughes' underachievment on our lack of coaching prowess from the end of the Dungy era until now... 

I love our Colts, but they have screwed the pooch with some gems and need to get a real staff in place to get the best out of some rookies... it has been too long since we've had decent coaching and player development... This coming from a class A homer who always looks for an excuse for Irsay and the staff. 

9 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

The MLB has different rules within it's own league.

On October 28, 2017 at 10:25 PM, SaturdayAllDay said:

I ask myself that question all the time haha

Im not a fan of the differences, but there is a large group of people up here that swear by it. They are often the die hard fans too so it wouldnt go over well if they changed.

I actually like the wider field...gives players more room to get down after a catch and avoid big hits to defenseless players. With the increased speed and bigger guys in the nfl I think it would be safer to increase the width of the field. I'm also ok with making the end zone deeper as to help increase red zone scoring...plus make fgs longer for kickers at same time. Do it NFL!

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I actually like the wider field...gives players more room to get down after a catch and avoid big hits to defenseless players. With the increased speed and bigger guys in the nfl I think it would be safer to increase the width of the field. I'm also ok with making the end zone deeper as to help increase red zone scoring...plus make fgs longer for kickers at same time. Do it NFL!

I think simple things like that could be accomodated (so long as they didnt use the CFL placement of the uprights) but there are a handful of nonsense rules that just seem to be there for the sake of being different. Like the "no yards" penalty for punts. 

The CFL didn't change the rules as much as the NFL did. Both games grew out of Rugby. British Army officers introduced Rugby to Canada in the 1850s. Canadians adopted the game and introduced it to the U.S. when a McGill University team traveled to Harvard in 1874 and taught them the game. Both countries modified Rugby rules into what we see today. The CFL is closer to its Rugby roots than the NFL, which is why plays like the ability to punt the ball at anytime from anywhere on the field, still exist in CFL rules. These rules exist, not because the CFL is weird, rather because it has not strayed as far from Rugby as has the NFL.

The oldest professional football team still playing under its original name? The Toronto Argonauts formed in 1873. The Hamilton Tigers were formed in 1869 and were the first professional football team in North America. They're now the Tiger-Cats after their merger with the Hamilton Wildcats. So your question should be asked the other way around.

As far as Trent goes, he looked OK when playing the worst team in the CFL, but not so much against better teams. He'll probably go the same way as Ricky Williams, a few good games here and there, with a bunch of nothing games strung in between. 

The better CFL running backs tend to either be home grown or they're Americans who joined the CFL having little to no NFL experience and so learned the CFL game from the ground up. NFL running backs coming to the CFL often have difficulty adapting to all of the different responsibilities the CFL position requires, learning to use the width of the field, and adapting to the complexities the rules and the extra man introduce. So far I haven't seen anything to suggest that Trent is going to buck this trend.