Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Do We Do With a Top 5 Pick?

Defjamz26

8 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I love Williams. Another stud OL option is OG Quenten Nelson after a trade down. 

FYI....

Williams has missed most of this season with a knee injury.    He may play more this season, but it's not clear when.

And Nelson doesn't solve our problem at tackle,  he's a guard.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on whose there and what other teams are willing to give up to move up. 

Personally i think the Colts need a game changing pass rusher above all else.  If they get that I think a lot of the problems on defense go away.  

Still if a franchise left tackle is there or a stud MLBer or even a stud WR I am not going to be mad if the Colts take him.  Heck even if they get Barkley id be fine with that.  The Colts need game changers and that’s what they should get if they land in the top five.

On 10/24/2017 at 9:09 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Make me a case why he would be better at RT?  What a college player does have exactly zero to do with AC.

AC gets a bad rap in here but he is always rated pretty good in all the sites. Why mess with a good thing?

Just draft the best player in the draft and move on. It works for all the teams who are in the mix year to year.

I see AC as pretty good but not elite.  If they can get an elite left tackle I don’t think you pass on him just because AC is here.  

Now I do think it’s possible if they draft a guy they think is the LT of the future that AC stays at LT and they break this guy in at another poistion not unlike how both Glenn and Diem started at guard before moving out to tackle.  

34 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I see AC as pretty good but not elite.  If they can get an elite left tackle I don’t think you pass on him just because AC is here.  

Now I do think it’s possible if they draft a guy they think is the LT of the future that AC stays at LT and they break this guy in at another poistion not unlike how both Glenn and Diem started at guard before moving out to tackle.  

If he was the best player available I would welcome the pick. I say that because other than a team needing a QB I think going the best player available is the way to go. Passing over great players to pick a certain position kills the depth.

If we have the #4 pick I hope Buffalo calls so we can take both their first round spots.  This way we move back a little, probably around 9-12 and could still grab someone solid.  Then have another pick later in the 1st round and get yet again BPA.  I will say if we do have a complete coaching overhaul we might be in a 4-3 next year for all we know.  Very interesting off-season ahead!

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Where we need the most work is in the trenches. That is where games are won and lost. It always has been and it's not going to change.

Agreed. Team needs a new O-line coach and someone to help keep those guys healthy. Enough bodies there already.

On defense, the line's stronger than it's been in years (*in terms of personnel), team needs better inside linebackers and a better coach too.

I'd say trade back and try to pick up an extra 2019 first rounder in the process. We've got plenty of areas where we can improve so we can almost go BPA and unless there's some generational talent staring us in the face I'd advocate for more picks and more in the following draft too. 

Count Me in on the trade down for Quentin Nelson.  An ideal target would be the jets.  They have two 2nd round picks, and they would probably offer a bit to get a top QB.  For those who say it doesn't fill our tackle problem, tell me who our guards are exactly.  Mewhort has a chronic injury.  Also, we can't burn our massive cap space on linemen, because the 2018 OL class is smoking garbage.

On 10/24/2017 at 4:23 PM, BProland85 said:

I'd even be okay with trading back 5 or more spots, and then selecting stud OG Quenten Nelson from Notre Dame, if they feel he is the best OL player available. Really, anywhere outside of Kelly at OC is a need on the OL. 

Changing the offensive philosophy, which I fully expect, will help more than drafting a guard in the 1st.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even though I want Defense, I would take Penn St's RB, the combo of he and Mack will take huge pressure off of Luck. He's the best RB I have seen in college since Barry Sanders.

How dare you mention taking a rb in the first!!  Not worth it.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even though I want Defense, I would take Penn St's RB, the combo of he and Mack will take huge pressure off of Luck. He's the best RB I have seen in college since Barry Sanders.

I would love Barkley on this offense, but the kid still needs blockers to get him going. OSU ate him up today in the second half of the game.

21 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I would love Barkley on this offense, but the kid still needs blockers to get him going. OSU ate him up today in the second half of the game.

Yeah that 2nd Half was shocking. I lost a steak dinner bet on the game too. Man I cant believe Penn blew that but then again I can because It's Meyer and Ohio lol. Barkley is an unreal talent though.

On 10/26/2017 at 3:04 PM, FalseStart said:

A. Round 1 will result in one of these at this moment:  McGlinchey OT, Landry Edge, Jefferson ILB, McFadden CB

B. Round 2 ideally would then be: Nelson G, Chubb Edge, Lewis Edge, Jones OT, Victor ILB

http://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp

McGlinchey, Landry, and James would be my targets. 

Someone will have to sell sell me on the ILB class. I’ve seen up and down reports on guys like Jefferson and Victor. I’ve watched tape on most of the marquee names at the position, but not sure there’s one stud athletic coverage ILB. 

Barkley for sure. I originally said Key but I'm sold on this RB. Facing other conference teams with stud backs that control the clock and game, gives us that back that I compare to Leveon Bell. Even though our line is bad, he still can make electrifying plays all over the field that we need. Barkley is my pick. Hands down/No hesitation. 

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If we have a top 5 pick and don't draft a pass rusher...

And I'm not nearly as enamored with Barkley as most. That kind of talent is all over the map in the draft. Look at where Mack was picked up, or Hunt..

There is no Myles Garret, Bosa, or Clowney in this draft though. We don’t have to take a pass rusher.

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

There is no Myles Garret, Bosa, or Clowney in this draft though. We don’t have to take a pass rusher.

I'll take your word for it. I don't pay attention to draft babble this far out, because they all know basically nothing still.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

McGlinchey, Landry, and James would be my targets. 

Someone will have to sell sell me on the ILB class. I’ve seen up and down reports on guys like Jefferson and Victor. I’ve watched tape on most of the marquee names at the position, but not sure there’s one stud athletic coverage ILB. 

Definitely,  take out Jefferson and insert James (S).  Good call,

• 3 weeks later...