Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Hankins so far?

RockThatBlue

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

Don't see him talked about much. He seems to be doing pretty good, but I'm not sure he's played to the level I hoped for. JMO

Thoughts?

He and Al woods have greatly improved this defense. Which is sad considering what took place Sunday. I do think there's a conditioning issue for both as they do look tired by the 3rd quarter 

I like him a lot. He's a solid piece, and a good run stuffer, but not exactly a building block for the D line.

Don't get me wrong, he's a fine player, and he does his job as expected, but you can't really use him on third down, and I too noticed he seems to be getting gassed by the end of games.

Like the signing, glad he's on the team. Good player. But the Colts obviously need more. 

We are 26th in the league in rush defense and 21st in ypc rush defense, so not a great improvement at all. He's average I would say. Hoping for more, but our rush defense as a whole is below average and I'll give him credit for being better than the others and being average. It's amazing that we have not been able to find a runstopping DLine since we had Booger McFarland. Amazing.

If he were on a line with a pass rush, he'd look even better.

Things I've noticed: he doesn't get manhandled of the line and is always a solid tackler. If I guy runs by him and Hankins hands him, he goes to the ground.

25 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Don't see him talked about much. He seems to be doing pretty good, but I'm not sure he's played to the level I hoped for. JMO

Thoughts?

He's a good piece.

That said , do you remember the reports from training camp that he was "unblock able ?" Unfortunately the truth of the matter is our offensive line really stunk. But with all that cap money we had last year and the 50 million or so we will have this year , the contract IMO was and is fine. 

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

He's a good piece.

That said , do you remember the reports from training camp that he was "unblock able ?" Unfortunately the truth of the matter is our offensive line really stunk. But with all that cap money we had last year and the 50 million or so we will have this year , the contract IMO was and is fine. 

Being unblockable against the Colts o line isn't saying much.

41 minutes ago, Blueblazes said:

We are 26th in the league in rush defense and 21st in ypc rush defense, so not a great improvement at all. He's average I would say. Hoping for more, but our rush defense as a whole is below average and I'll give him credit for being better than the others and being average. It's amazing that we have not been able to find a runstopping DLine since we had Booger McFarland. Amazing.

Most of this is due to the linebackers missing tackles and not filling the gaps. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

He and Al woods have greatly improved this defense. Which is sad considering what took place Sunday. I do think there's a conditioning issue for both as they do look tired by the 3rd quarter 

Exactly what I was thinking.  I think the entire defense in general has been wearing down due to the inability of the offense to move the ball, particularly in the 2nd half.  This past Sunday though was just bad all around.

Ok. Defense first. Hankins. Love the signing. He’s playing really good, maybe outta position but he’s playing well and woooo !!! Al Woods was a find from heck !!!!! Like I say. We’re on our way. Smart signings like John Simon. Big signing/big name signings like Sheard and Hankins. Then I’ve like Hunt as a rotational DE honestly. He’s better than a Billy Will or even RJF even IMO. But we added some young, up and coming players who were just and are just hitting their stride and putting it all together. Ala Simon and Woods. We may have our NT and a key OLB if not started for the next 4 years. Just wish we keep on this offseason. Hooker should be back by week 4-5 next year anyways and he’s gonna come in with a vengeance. He’ll be a top 5 FS. Top 10 overall safety in the games he plays next year IMO. Then Wilson is showing promise when he plays and oh baby so is Hairston. That’s 2 of our top 4 next year at CB with Melvin and whoever we sign. Let Davis go btw !!!! Basham is NOT A BUST. Hes really raw. He may take til his 4th year to break out. But if we get a beast like Key, Landry, etc this offseason. It’ll give him another year to continue to work and develop. Look at Simon. Or even a highly touted kid like Nick Perry. It took 4-5 years for them. Happens all the time. Called ascending players. But with a truly dominant edge rusher to pair with Simon and Sheard. And 2 ILB’s with. Or at least one having top notch cover skills. Out front 7 is stacked and the secondary will work itself out with 1 signing of a top CB. 

And honestly. I mean. We may only. On D !!! Be a top tier edge rusher and 2 good ILB’s away from a top 10 D. As crazy as it sounds. Like I said. Hooker, Wilson, Hairston in their 2nd years. Anderson in his 4th should be interesting. But yeah man. We bring in a superstar pass rusher in the top 5-10 of the draft (Key) A 12-16 sack monster. Then a really good ILB RD2. And as we all know you can find ALL PRO caliber ILB’s from RD’s 2-4. I mean you can find a handful of really good, Day 1 starting ILB’s. I’d like to see us have 1 rookie OLB starting and 2 rookie ILB’s next season. Hey ! Playing at a high level it don’t matter. Let em

come in be Garrett, Beckwith, and Cunningham. That’d turn out D around NOW ! But. Let’s see. 2-4. Hicks, Kendricks, Wagner, David, then again. Cunningham and Beckwith this year !!!! but we can sign a ILB like Bowman maybe ? Or a younger cat whose still in the middle of his prime. They’ll be 4-5 good options. (Hadn’t looked at FA List yet lol) 

Offense. We got Luck who’ll be FINALLY 100% next season. No holds barred. And he WILL be behind a stout OL. We’ll probably make a BIG splash in FA and bring in a G like Justin Pugh or whoever else. Maybe bring Mewhort back for a year to play RT ???? I mean we’ve screwed around enough. We need to sign the 2 best offensive linemen available no matter the cost. Or if we draft an ILB. Draft a G in RD 2-3. Bottom line is we can’t wait to have a good line when 12 is back next season. We got our man in Mack. Just need a complement to him. A bigger, more physical back. But Mack is our feature back of the future. Don’t mention the dropped passes. You all have seen what he can do in the run AND passing game. He’ll give 12 yet another weapon. Then Doyle, Swoope, whoever else ? Daniels ? Williams ? I’d say we draft a TE in the mid rounds. A faster, more athletic type to complement Doyle. But back to the point. IMO. IMO. Lol after we fix the OL with 2 studs, 2 stud ILB’s, and a brute Edge rusher (most important) we gotta bring in a big time WR like an Alshon Jeffery or Allen Robinson (1year) or both and let crief walk. We’d have Haeg, Good, a backup Center. RD6 ? Then either Clark or bring Mewhort back on a punk 1 year, get your butt out there and ball contract. Play him at RT baring a TRUE breakout by Haeg/Clark/Good. 

Comes down to us having 90 mill or around 90 to spend. That’s 3 superstars and 3-5 solid backups, plus a bunch left probably. Idk. Just know a lot of money = Fun new toys !!!! Then couple that with the draft in which we’ll be having HIGH picks. Probably top 5-8ish in each RD. Basically 2 first RD picks with the high 2nd. Then Ballard has shown he can find talent like Mack and Hairston. SO FAR. Don’t know about Stewart yet. But yeah. Then add on top a handful of young players having a full or another full year under their belt. Anderson will probably be a superstar next year in year 4. Hooker will come back like a mad man. Melvin is a 4th year guy. Guess he’s one of those late bloomers I was talking about. Didn’t do crap first 3 years. Then sets the world on fire. Let’s kust hope he keeps it up. Cause he gives us a young 6’2 star CB. But Wilson and Hairston should be our 3-4 CB’s. If not 2-3. But IMO we can do all this.....This coming offseason. It’s simple and easy. We got money, high draft picks, and a franchise QB, plus some nice young up and coming players. But with 3-4 major FA signings, and hitting big on 3-4 draft picks. And I mean a ROY caliber player and a couple other day 1 star caliber starters. So. 1 Boss Edge rusher, 2 ILB’s with ( at least 1 with top notch coverage skills). 1 CB, 2 Offensive linemen, and a WR. That’s 7 big holes to fill. Big names like Jeffery or Robinson WILL hit the market. Justin Pugh may. Idk. Tru Johnson and Breeland are 2 CB’s but id have to read the list of FA’s. I’d like to see us grab Jeffery, Pugh, a stud, pro bowl type ILB,  and a top tier CB on free agency. 4 major signings. Then draft Arden Key, 2 boss ILB’s back to back, then RB, another Edge rusher, and a TE in RD’s 4-6. And Screw starting 3 rookie LB’s btw. Who cares ??? It’d be 100%. Perfectly fine as long as they ball. But we have losers like Jon Bostic who needs to be in Canada. And then Morrison should Be having to fight it out with Walker, George, Jackson, and maybe a cheap vet FA and an UDFA to see who wins the 2 backup ILB spots. Or 3. Need to sign a decent vet who comes from a winning team to be 1 backup. But yeah. Bottom line. Morrison should be on the bubble. Bottom line AGAIN. LAST TIME LOL. So. With the right signings, good draft, players developing.....We can compete for at least an AFC championship NEXT YEAR !!!!! Makes no sense as to why we wouldn’t be at least a 11-5 - 10-6 team next year. With just 7-8 holes to fill and the resources we have to do it. Let’s make it happen !!!!!

I think Al Woods is more important to us, and is more value, but the tandem (and Anderson to an extent) have been a major upgrade.  I keep forgetting Hankins is only 25 as well and so a good piece to build around.

Ballard said from day one that games are won in the trenches and he has made our defensive side a strong unit......now for the other side!

10 hours ago, csmopar said:

The reason they both look tired by 3rd quarter is because they are on the field way too much throughout the game.

The defense in general is running out of gas in the second half because they're on the field way to long. I really don't look at the stats too much because the teams that are getting yards usually come in chunks in the 2nd half. I don't care what defense you have. If the defense can't get off the field they have no shot. Hankins, Woods and Anderson are doing their jobs it's time for the others to step up.

14 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

Two things, 1. Hankins has definitely helped the interior presence and he alone is not going to stop the run.  2. Booger played in a 4-3 and he and I believe Brock were able to collapse down since teams had to worry about both Mathis and Freeney in there prime.  Way different altogether.  Oh and we were either dead last or close to dead last in 2006 with our rush defense (with Booger).

I think he has been worth every penny so far. Honestly the DL has been the only bright spot on this team this year. They do get worn down because they play entirely too many snaps do the ineptitude of our offense and some bad third down pass defense. Hankins, Woods, Anderson especially have been bright spots. Simon and Sheard have been solid to good....the LBs are horrendous and the back end has been up and down.

JH has been great so far. Our roster needs more depth though. Defense is gassed. Expect more of this until our bye week. They have been on the field more due to our lack of offense. Which we also need another weapon or improved offensive lineman. 

20 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Thoughts?

My response will not be popular, but you're not wrong.

Hankins said we would be the best defense in the AFC, and we are one of the worst in the NFL. 

Granted, our offense isn't doing much to help the defense out. 

Outside of Simon, Anderson, and maybe Hairston - there is not anyone on this defense who I would bang the table to keep for 2018.

15 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

My response will not be popular, but you're not wrong.

Hankins said we would be the best defense in the AFC, and we are one of the worst in the NFL. 

Granted, our offense isn't doing much to help the defense out. 

Outside of Simon, Anderson, and maybe Hairston - there is not anyone on this defense who I would bang the table to keep for 2018.

Hankins saying something in the off-season holds little weight to this topic and his play on the field.  Players try to do this all the time to hype everyone up.  If you cannot see that he has helped and can continue to be a building block for 2018, I don't know what to tell you.  Without the additions of him and Woods our run D would be a complete disaster.

Our D-line I would love to keep for 2018, not just Anderson. 

12 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Hankins saying something in the off-season holds little weight to this topic and his play on the field.  Players try to do this all the time to hype everyone up.  If you cannot see that he has helped and can continue to be a building block for 2018, I don't know what to tell you.  Without the additions of him and Woods our run D would be a complete disaster.

Our D-line I would love to keep for 2018, not just Anderson. 

Our defense is terrible. Period. 

No excuses.