Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rules to hiring a new Head Coach

ColtsBlueFL

In the aftermath of our first shutout in almost 25 years, there is plenty of new Head Coach talk.  While Irsay / Ballard can, if inclined, to 'fire' Pagano before the season ends, the replacement isn't nearly so easy.  There are rules to be followed each step of the way, starting with the appointment of the 'interim' Head Coach to finish the season (if it becomes necessary).  Once the Head Coach is released, and the regular season ends, the process of getting a new leader in starts.  Here is what the team must follow then-

Teams looking to hire a head coach just can't interview one guy and give him the job. They must also follow the Rooney Rule, enacted in 2003, which is a policy that mandates teams looking for a new head coach interview at least one minority candidate for head coaching and senior football operations positions. Many minority assistant and position coaches are 'aware' that there are some teams that pick candidates to interview just to "check off the box", and won't agree to be interviewed  (Good for them, it's a waste of time and resources).

Once the regular season ends, teams can interview any assistant coaches from other teams who are not in the playoffs. They must, however, request permission if a coach is under contract with another team.

Teams can block a candidate from interviewing for a position that would be a lateral move, but can’t stop assistant coaches from interviewing for a position that is a promotion.

Teams are also allowed to interview assistant coaches who have a first-round bye in the playoffs. However, the interview must take place that week. Candidates can choose to decline the interview to focus on preparing their current team for the postseason.

If an assistant coach’s team loses in the Wild Card round, the candidate can interview with any team that goes through the proper channels to secure an interview. However, if the assistant coach’s team wins, teams need approval for an interview, which has to take place before the divisional round.

No initial interviews can be requested or granted for candidates whose teams are still in the playoffs after the divisional round, i.e. anyone from the four teams vying for a conference championship.

Teams are typically only allowed to interview a candidate one time while the candidate’s team is in the playoffs. However, there’s an exception to that rule for teams playing in the Super Bowl thanks to the two-week window between the conference championships and the big game. Teams want to get head coaches in place as quickly as possible, because for teams that are out of the postseason — as all of the teams with head coach openings would be — preparation for 2018 season begins now (2017 seasons end)

If an assistant coach’s team advances to the Super Bowl, teams again need permission to schedule a second interview.

Once the assistant’s team has arrived to the Super Bowl site, the candidate can’t participate in an interview. The interview must take place the week after the Conference Championship, but before the team travels to the Super Bowl.

Teams needing HC's will want to get their new head coaches in place as quickly as possible, because for teams that are out of the postseason,  preparation for 2018 begins as soon as the 2017 season has ended. So remember this as desired guys (McDaniels, Patricia, etc...) are  mentioned as replacements.  There's a risk/reward for 'waiting'  for them to interview, as the pool of deserving candidates shrinks by the day as they wait for other candidates, though.

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

JMV reporting that his sources telling him Pagano will NOT be coaching against the Bengals...... take it for what it's worth 

Probably not worth a whole lot. But you never know... If they were to do something it would need to be today IMO... 

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Tell me what toub has proven to be a true head coach candidate

He's been interviewing for years. The Chiefs have good STs, and they all speak highly of him. And then there's the connection to Ballard, which puts him high on everyone's list of probables. 

Just now, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Spoiler alert: it’s going to be Toub. 

Only the blind couldnt see that Pagano was a lame duck this year 

I think everyone knew that outside of a trip to the  playoffs,  pagano was gone.    That doesn't make Toub the front runner.    

Just now, Superman said:

He's been interviewing for years. The Chiefs have good STs, and they all speak highly of him. And then there's the connection to Ballard, which puts him high on everyone's list of probables. 

The bears hired Trestman over toub when he was their ST coordinator.   

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The bears hired Trestman over toub when he was their ST coordinator.   

Trestman didn't exactly work out for them. They've since moved on, and Trestman's replacement is on the hot seat himself. Maybe they should have hired Toub...

I'm not necessarily in his corner, just saying people around the league are intrigued by him.

And there's at least one head coach who was a former STs coach, and he has a SB ring. I'm not dismissing Toub because he's 'only a STs coach.' 

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm not saying he hasn't been a good special teams coordinator.    But it's a big leap from there to HC.  How many have done that successfully?

Special teams coordinators work with defense and offense and know how to work with constantly changing players. That is what makes them good head coaching candidates

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Bill bellichick was a special teams coach

Belichick didn't go directly from ST coordinator to HC.  He spent several years as a defensive positional coach and then Defensive coordinator before ultimately becoming a HC.  The only coach I can think of off-hand that went directly from ST coordinator to HC was John Harbaugh.

20 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Ok,  after you tell me why toub is a great head coaching candidate

What did JOHN Harbaugh demonstrate to make Baltimore think he'd be a good head coach.      He had not been a HC or an OC or a DC before.

His highest rank was ST coordinator.   If Baltimore can hire Harbaugh, why can't the Colts hire JH, assuming that's who CB had in mind....

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

What did JOHN Harbaugh Demonstrate to make Baltimore think he'd be a good head coach.      He had not been a HC or an OC or a DC before.

His highest rank was ST coordinator.   If Baltimore can hire Harbaugh, why can't the Colts hire JH, assuming that's who CB had in mind....

I didn't say they couldn't,  or wouldn't.  

Harbaugh is the exception, not the rule.  I can't think of another head coach that only had special teams coordinator on his resume

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

What did JOHN Harbaugh Demonstrate to make Baltimore think he'd be a good head coach.      He had not been a HC or an OC or a DC before.

Ballard absolutely can hire Toub if that's who he feels is the best candidate.  I just find it amusing that so many people are clamoring for him when about 99% of them likely had never heard his name before the rumor surfaced after Irsay first interviewed Ballard.  And it becomes even more amusing when one or two of those people say that he's the best obvious candidate for the job. lol