Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First 2018 Colt Mock

No preface other than the fact that the Jag game officially left me with little to look forward to until the draft!

1) Bradley Chubb, OLB, NC St.  We need stud pass rushers to take a big step forward on D.  Sheard and Simon are relatively short-term solutions.  I wasn’t sold on Chubb, but I am now.   I think he’s a stud who might not show the measurables to go in the top 5.  But he’s a talented pass-rusher and all-round player.

2) Billy Price, OG, Ohio St.  I was sold on the OL going into this year, but it didn’t pan out.  With Mewhort not under contract, injured, and contemplating retirement; Vujnovich being disappointing; and other guards being works in progress; it’s time to solidify the interior of the line with an experienced, plug-and-play starter.

3) Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas.  He’s had a disappointing year, after being considered a 1st rounder in the off-season.  He’s played OLB this year because his experiment at ILB last year was considered a failure.  But he’s more athletic than anyone we’ve had at ILB for years and has the potential to be what we hoped Bostic could be.

4) Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego St.  He’s cooled off his last two games after a torrid pace earlier in the season.  I can’t credit it, but he’s not considered by many draftniks to be higher than a 4th round prospect.  I love him.  He’s a hard-running, 220 pound, speedy back who has a knack for long runs.  He’ll be the new Gore, with Mack expanding his lightning role.

5) Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa St.   Some people are touting him as high as the 3rd round, but most have him here or later.  He’s the big WR we’ve hoped for in people like Bug Howard and Kamar Aiken.  It’s very hard to assess our WR corps with Brissett, OL troubles, and an OC that can’t figure out how to consistently move the ball.  But it seems like we need more.

6) Darius Leonard, ILB, S. Carolina St.  Seems to do it all: coverage, pass rush, tackling, etc.  Should be a good ST player.  He’s 6’3”, 236 lbs, but he seems to have trouble keeping on weight, which will limit him to ILB for us.

7) Siran Neal, DB, Jacksonville St.  Massive knee injury to Hooker.  Need more safeties to develop, as I don’t think Butler has done well there and Hooker and Geathers are medically challenged.  Neal is listed as a CB, but he’s 6’1”, 205 lbs. and he’s a tackling machine on the boundary.  Already has a criminal justice degree and two daughters – seems like a good late-round development project/STer who might be properly motivated to succeed.

Good mock. However, I have to think CB is still a high concern of ours, including ILB.

OL, it is hard to imagine a rookie making as much of an impact unless it is a first round OT. That is why I feel we may go after some free agents, who may still be an upgrade over failing projects we have right now. RB, I said this before, LeSean McCoy is the same size as Marlon Mack, and if we can try to shore up the OL to get him to the second level consistently, Marlon Mack can be the leader in an RBC. Goal line backs and FBs are dime a dozen, for goal line formations. That is why I feel we won't pick a between-the-tackles RB in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

I had this mock more than a month ago:

However, I feel we may go with Arden Key at OLB in round 1 instead of Landry, if he is there. Plus, instead of QB Rypien in my mock, Jonathan Abram, S, of Mississippi State or Siran Neal sound very appealing, for the reasons you quoted above.

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Good mock. However, I have to think CB is still a high concern of ours, including ILB.

OL, it is hard to imagine a rookie making as much of an impact unless it is a first round OT. That is why I feel we may go after some free agents, who may still be an upgrade over failing projects we have right now. RB, I said this before, LeSean McCoy is the same size as Marlon Mack, and if we can try to shore up the OL to get him to the second level consistently, Marlon Mack can be the leader in an RBC. Goal line backs and FBs are dime a dozen, for goal line formations. That is why I feel we won't pick a between-the-tackles RB in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

Your points are well taken.  I’m not as worried about CB b/c Wilson and Hairston are so inexperienced, but talented.  Along with Melvin, I feel that will simply improve organically.  Same thing with OT, as I’m hopeful about Denzelle and LaRaven.  ILB, however...I’m only high on Jeremiah George.

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

To the bolded portion, I would say that this is wrong.  You can get guys in the first 2 or 3 rounds that will make an impact.  Mewhort his first year was an impact.  Kelly was a impact first year as well.  They aren't OT.  Nelson this year would be an immediate impact and is a Guard.

3 hours ago, Archer said:

No preface other than the fact that the Jag game officially left me with little to look forward to until the draft!

1) Bradley Chubb, OLB, NC St.  We need stud pass rushers to take a big step forward on D.  Sheard and Simon are relatively short-term solutions.  I wasn’t sold on Chubb, but I am now.   I think he’s a stud who might not show the measurables to go in the top 5.  But he’s a talented pass-rusher and all-round player.

2) Billy Price, OG, Ohio St.  I was sold on the OL going into this year, but it didn’t pan out.  With Mewhort not under contract, injured, and contemplating retirement; Vujnovich being disappointing; and other guards being works in progress; it’s time to solidify the interior of the line with an experienced, plug-and-play starter.

3) Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas.  He’s had a disappointing year, after being considered a 1st rounder in the off-season.  He’s played OLB this year because his experiment at ILB last year was considered a failure.  But he’s more athletic than anyone we’ve had at ILB for years and has the potential to be what we hoped Bostic could be.

4) Rashaad Penny, RB, San Diego St.  He’s cooled off his last two games after a torrid pace earlier in the season.  I can’t credit it, but he’s not considered by many draftniks to be higher than a 4th round prospect.  I love him.  He’s a hard-running, 220 pound, speedy back who has a knack for long runs.  He’ll be the new Gore, with Mack expanding his lightning role.

5) Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa St.   Some people are touting him as high as the 3rd round, but most have him here or later.  He’s the big WR we’ve hoped for in people like Bug Howard and Kamar Aiken.  It’s very hard to assess our WR corps with Brissett, OL troubles, and an OC that can’t figure out how to consistently move the ball.  But it seems like we need more.

6) Darius Leonard, ILB, S. Carolina St.  Seems to do it all: coverage, pass rush, tackling, etc.  Should be a good ST player.  He’s 6’3”, 236 lbs, but he seems to have trouble keeping on weight, which will limit him to ILB for us.

7) Siran Neal, DB, Jacksonville St.  Massive knee injury to Hooker.  Need more safeties to develop, as I don’t think Butler has done well there and Hooker and Geathers are medically challenged.  Neal is listed as a CB, but he’s 6’1”, 205 lbs. and he’s a tackling machine on the boundary.  Already has a criminal justice degree and two daughters – seems like a good late-round development project/STer who might be properly motivated to succeed.

Love your choices except i still believe in the RB Chubb and i really think he can be the next frank gore 2.0

Good draft.  I think it depends on what we do with our high draft pick.  I'm guessing you believe we will trade back and pick up some extra picks?  If that is the case, then this sounds pretty good.  If we stay let's say top 3, then I would rather have a guy like Barkley.  Frank is likely done, and I don't believe Mack is a 3-down guy.  Barkley can do it ALL.  And I think we can address the OL to help him out too like you did.

21 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

To the bolded portion, I would say that this is wrong.  You can get guys in the first 2 or 3 rounds that will make an impact.  Mewhort his first year was an impact.  Kelly was a impact first year as well.  They aren't OT.  Nelson this year would be an immediate impact and is a Guard.

You have a point. However, to me, unless that guy stands out in round 1 which Kelly did (like other centers drafted in round 1 with a good history), if we want to build upon what we have and not hit the re-set button for the learning curve for a rookie every single year even if he is cheaper, we might be better off going with a vet who has the NFL strength and experience with different schemes, IMO.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You have a point. However, to me, unless that guy stands out in round 1 which Kelly did (like other centers drafted in round 1 with a good history), if we want to build upon what we have and not hit the re-set button for the learning curve for a rookie every single year even if he is cheaper, we might be better off going with a vet who has the NFL strength and experience with different schemes, IMO.

To be fair though this is not exactly true either.  Just because you get a guy that has been in the league for say 6 years does not mean he has any knowledge or versatility towards a new scheme.  Guys being drafted within the first 3 rounds typically are going to be able to come in and learn as the know they have to.  Quentin Nelson, my go to, is a guy I would be looking at right now for sure.  JW is an unknown right now, but the good thing is FA starts before the draft so we will have an understanding of key needs by draft time (hopefully).

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

To be fair though this is not exactly true either.  Just because you get a guy that has been in the league for say 6 years does not mean he has any knowledge or versatility towards a new scheme.  Guys being drafted within the first 3 rounds typically are going to be able to come in and learn as the know they have to.  Quentin Nelson, my go to, is a guy I would be looking at right now for sure.  JW is an unknown right now, but the good thing is FA starts before the draft so we will have an understanding of key needs by draft time (hopefully).

I didn't mean all FA OLs. The vet still has to be the right fit. Plus, if we change coaches, that becomes a factor too. Everyone could be learning something new, and in that case, yeah, go with a high floor rookie. I'm just done with drafting rookies with low floors and "potential" high ceiling. We need to look for high floor ones, and those typically are in the early rounds. 

Just now, chad72 said:

I didn't mean all guys. The vet still has to be the right fit. Plus, if we change coaches, that becomes a factor too. Everyone is learning something new, and in that case, yeah, go with a high floor rookie. I'm just over drafting rookies with low floors and "potential" high ceiling. We need to look for high floor ones, and those typically are in the early rounds. 

I agree 100%.  We need to start drafting guys who are impacts right away regardless of position.  The first 3 rounds we need to be hitting on way more than we are doing.  Wilson is a healthy scratch?  We need coaching to establish what they want and allow Ballard to find them.  I just like the idea of drafting at least one "stud" guard and then spending some FA money on another guard and maybe tackle.  The list of guys available is not to appealing though.

On October 24, 2017 at 5:02 PM, MFT5 said:

Has anyone thought about Derwin James DB FSU

Really talented guy. I don't know how Geathers is coming along but imagining a James-Hooker safety combo wow. 

Although I still think with a decent trade back offer, that's my best bet. 

On 10/24/2017 at 8:02 PM, MFT5 said:

Has anyone thought about Derwin James DB FSU

Yes. If Clayton doesn't come back 100% or gets injured again. James is a defensive playmaker. Teamed with Hooker, and we'd have a combo comparable to Chancellor and Thomas in Seattle.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 7:36 AM, Archer said:

Your points are well taken.  I’m not as worried about CB b/c Wilson and Hairston are so inexperienced, but talented.  Along with Melvin, I feel that will simply improve organically.  Same thing with OT, as I’m hopeful about Denzelle and LaRaven.  ILB, however...I’m only high on Jeremiah George.

Desir looks like he can help at CB too.  I've been calling for George to see more snaps on D all season. ILB is the biggest hole on D. We just don't have starting NFL  talent inside. 

I like the draft. If we can find our pass rushing Edge, help the interior of the OL and land a play making ILB the first 2 days all boxes are checked for me. 

For what it's worth Ballard was on with McAffe. Farley and Geathers were 2 guys he mentioned by name on D. He likes Geathers to be a leader on D said you can tell how much he loves the game. 

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

Desir looks like he can help at CB too.  I've been calling for George to see more snaps on D all season. ILB is the biggest hole on D. We just don't have starting NFL  talent inside. 

I like the draft. If we can find our pass rushing Edge, help the interior of the OL and land a play making ILB the first 2 days all boxes are checked for me. 

For what it's worth Ballard was on with McAffe. Farley and Geathers were 2 guys he mentioned by name on D. He likes Geathers to be a leader on D said you can tell how much he loves the game. 

That’s fine if Geathers can still play. Farley is nice depth but he’s not a game changer like Geathers started to show before he got hurt.

On 10/27/2017 at 10:54 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Yes. If Clayton doesn't come back 100% or gets injured again. James is a defensive playmaker. Teamed with Hooker, and we'd have a combo comparable to Chancellor and Thomas in Seattle.

James hasn't done anything this season. He had a great freshman season but hasn't done much since. Injury prone, overhyped player... I'll pass. 

Fitzpatrick is a much better pick if you want a Safety. IMO 

4 hours ago, SP_21 said:

James hasn't done anything this season. He had a great freshman season but hasn't done much since. Injury prone, overhyped player... I'll pass. 

Fitzpatrick is a much better pick if you want a Safety. IMO 

Clowney didn’t do much his last year in school. People always expect crazy stats from players with hype and don’t set realistic expectations. Guy is still a playmaker and athlete.