Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Luck likely out until December

RockThatBlue

Jimbo and the Colts FO think we're * as if we didn't already know that Luck was probably not coming back this year to begin with but they dragged this out for ticket sales and not ruin the Manning retirement jersey celebration.

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'm sure there will be plenty of conflating whether or not he should play with whether or not he can play going forward.

Fun.

Good times ahead for us.

Plus Sundays will be special as well.

Winning at life is being a Colts fan in 2017 haha

Not sure if it was during the ninth sack or tenth sack today but the broadcaster said things like, "(this season) he wants to come back, he will be back" referring to Luck. This is the mentality of a punch drunk boxer. "Get in there boy, show em' whatch ya' got!" (and if you get slaughtered I'll just get me a new boy). If he does go back in say, in December what good will it do for him? Get reps? Keep his arm warm for 2018 ten months away? If Brissett's performance today was indicative of his talent, his trade value just plummeted. Today's game against the Jags showed how scrambled and  lost this organization is with zero leadership and zero plans for tomorrow.  

40 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Not sure if it was during the ninth sack or tenth sack today but the broadcaster said things like, "(this season) he wants to come back, he will be back" referring to Luck. This is the mentality of a punch drunk boxer. "Get in there boy, show em' whatch ya' got!" (and if you get slaughtered I'll just get me a new boy). If he does go back in say, in December what good will it do for him? Get reps? Keep his arm warm for 2018 ten months away? If Brissett's performance today was indicative of his talent, his trade value just plummeted. Today's game against the Jags showed how scrambled and  lost this organization is with zero leadership and zero plans for tomorrow.  

It shows he can play and lets him get that hurdle out of the way and avoid a year longs rust from building up.  

I also don’t think it’s the mentality of a punch drunk boxer, it’s a competitor who wants to play and help his teammates.  Now should the coaches let him play?  That’s a different story.  

There is going to come a time when Luck is completely healthy and sitting him isn’t going to get him anymore healthy and playing him isn’t going to make him anymore exposed to an injury than anyother player is.  I get the impression from what Ballard has said about Luck they aren’t going to even entertain playing him until he reaches that point. So I think if does comeback it’s because he is healthy and sitting him isn’t going to help him anymore and they will want to knock the rust off, see what he has, give the fans hope for the future (yes that’s a factor), Show potential free agents he’s healthy, and let him get over the mental hurdle any athlete has after coming back from a major injury that he can still play and be alright.  Some of those matter a whole lot more than others but they are all reasons for him to play regardless of the record if he’s healthy.

This is what I have been thinking for a while now.  It is not good for 2017, but it IS the best thing for the Colts in the future.  I believe Ballard knew this was a 3-4 year project when he took the job.  But going through it does not make it any easier.  I know, I know, nobody wants to look to the future, but stay with me here for just a second.  Imagine this scenario:  it is late April and you are the Colts and have a top 3 pick (which seems likely).  You have Luck at full health, you have another starting-caliber QB in Brissett, and now you take one of the top 2 QB's in the draft (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield?).  THAT is some serious draft leverage right there.  Only Grigson could screw that thing up!

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Ahh what the heck. Maybe he should spend 2018 getting healthy too. The line won't be any better and we don't want to risk his shoulder getting anymore hurt.

Do the right thing, trade the punch drunk QB to someone with a good O-Line.
 :applause:       :thmup:      :scoregood:

8 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Logical thing for Luck to do is sit it out the remainder of the season so he'll have a few high picks that can protect him if he plays for Indy in 2018.

Ehh there might be reasons to play him at the end.  One to help him shake the rust off, but also to give potential coaches confidence that they have a franchise quarterback that's going to be healthy when they come here.  

11 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Ehh there might be reasons to play him at the end.  One to help him shake the rust off, but also to give potential coaches confidence that they have a franchise quarterback that's going to be healthy when they come here.  

Possibly. I have thought about a scenario where he returns for the final week.

That said, every player has to shake off the rust from year-to-year anyway. 

I think we are a better team in 2018, if we just go ahead and send Andrew Luck to IR now. 

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It shows he can play and lets him get that hurdle out of the way and avoid a year longs rust from building up.  

I also don’t think it’s the mentality of a punch drunk boxer, it’s a competitor who wants to play and help his teammates.  Now should the coaches let him play?  That’s a different story.  

There is going to come a time when Luck is completely healthy and sitting him isn’t going to get him anymore healthy and playing him isn’t going to make him anymore exposed to an injury than anyother player is.  I get the impression from what Ballard has said about Luck they aren’t going to even entertain playing him until he reaches that point. So I think if does comeback it’s because he is healthy and sitting him isn’t going to help him anymore and they will want to knock the rust off, see what he has, give the fans hope for the future (yes that’s a factor), Show potential free agents he’s healthy, and let him get over the mental hurdle any athlete has after coming back from a major injury that he can still play and be alright.  Some of those matter a whole lot more than others but they are all reasons for him to play regardless of the record if he’s healthy.

Could also add to show next years coaching pool that whoever comes to Indy will have a healthy Luck one has to wonder how desirable the job is with the current status of the team .

12 hours ago, CF4L said:

Jimbo and the Colts FO think we're * as if we didn't already know that Luck was probably not coming back this year to begin with but they dragged this out for ticket sales and not ruin the Manning retirement jersey celebration.

I believe 2018 ticket sales could be impacted by recent decisions. 

That said, I believe Irsay was optimistic to have Luck early in the season, and I don't believe he intentionally misled us. Unfortunately, it might appear that he did though. Just the nature of how all of this has ultimately played itself out. 

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Does anyone really want to see Luck behind this O-Line? 

We watched Luck play behind a less talented line for 5 years. 

I do believe it is time to shut it down though. Let Luck fully heal. 

Turnover the coaching staff in the off-season, and reboot the team.

41 minutes ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Shut him down for the season already.

Brissett is going to end up on I.R soon with the way he's been getting killed out there.

Well, if that happens, we always have the human sacrifice, in the eyes of the forum fans, Scott Tolzien, to offer to the football gods. :):)  

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Possibly. I have thought about a scenario where he returns for the final week.

That said, every player has to shake off the rust from year-to-year anyway. 

I think we are a better team in 2018, if we just go ahead and send Andrew Luck to IR now. 

Yes but 2 years worth of rust isn't going to be as easy.  

10 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

and the good news just keeps on coming...............

Honestly, this is probably good news for the long term

1) Luck isn't rushed back

2) The Colts can tank without making it look like they're doing it on purpose

3) The Colts will get a high draft pick in a loaded QB class, letting them trade down and acquire more picks

4) A bad season will almost certainly be the end of Pagano's time in Indy

5) Possibly let the younger guys play more snaps and develop for the future

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Well, if that happens, we always have the human sacrifice, in the eyes of the forum fans, Scott Tolzien, to offer to the football gods. :):)  

It's kinda crazy how similarly this season is mirroring the 2011 season when Peyton was out. The rumors swirling about his return...the last minute signing of qb to run them out there because of how unprepared they were to have the starter out. Coaching staff likely getting fired and cleaning house. Scott would just be our Curtis Painter....see how the stars align...its like deja vu lol.

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It's kinda crazy how similarly this season is mirroring the 2011 season when Peyton was out. The rumors swirling about his return...the last minute signing of qb to run them out there because of how unprepared they were to have the starter out. Coaching staff likely getting fired and cleaning house. Scott would just be our Curtis Painter....see how the stars align...its like deja vu lol.

At this point, I think teams have enough film on Brissett that it wouldn't matter who we play, to be honest. 

If we have another shellacking in Cinci, I bet Tolzien starts. Brissett wins with arm strength, ability to scramble, hang in there and deliver a throw, and being able to push the ball downfield further. Tolzien however releases the ball quicker and probably helps Chud out from himself and his play calling (and the OL too). Brissett trumps Tolzien as a sum of all parts but because of this coaching staff, player development stalls. So, they do not build upon Brissett's strengths and minimize his weaknesses quickly enough before things hit the fan, you could say about players across the board regarding player development. So you end up with Brissett offering no more than Tolzien, when it is all said and done.

We have no idea if Luck will really be healthy by December.  Even if some think he should play to "keep the rust off" or "to assure potential coaches he is ready" doesn't mean he will be ready to do either by December.  

He is already rusty.  A couple of games in December when he has missed off season conditioning, training camp, and an entire season are completely meaningless.  If he is going to play next year he will be ready regardless of a couple of December games.  And taking the chance of injury for this would not be smart.

As far as coaches - once the time comes there could be some off-season sessions with Luck and a few receivers for coaches to see.  Again - a few meaningless games in December when Luck is really rusty wouldn't be required to convince a coach.

So let him rehab and actually get back to game shape before he has to go in and get wacked around for no reason.

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

We have no idea if Luck will really be healthy by December.  Even if some think he should play to "keep the rust off" or "to assure potential coaches he is ready" doesn't mean he will be ready to do either by December.  

He is already rusty.  A couple of games in December when he has missed off season conditioning, training camp, and an entire season are completely meaningless.  If he is going to play next year he will be ready regardless of a couple of December games.  And taking the chance of injury for this would not be smart.

As far as coaches - once the time comes there could be some off-season sessions with Luck and a few receivers for coaches to see.  Again - a few meaningless games in December when Luck is really rusty wouldn't be required to convince a coach.

So let him rehab and actually get back to game shape before he has to go in and get wacked around for no reason.

If he does play this year at any time it will be because he is 100% healthy.  If he plays the very last game of the year he will go out and try and get contact and mentally probably be relieved.  He is the type of guy that wants contact to calm him down.  Plus, playing in the last game this year or the first game next year he has the same potential to be hurt.

I will say personally, I feel like each week we are closer for the team to just say he is finally shut down.  If healthy and not shut down, do not be surprised to see him play.  He is a competitor and his opinion will matter.  You do not pay guys $24 million a year to sit when healthy.  Regardless of how dangerous this game can be...it has contact no matter what game!

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

3) The Colts will get a high draft pick in a loaded QB class, letting them trade down and acquire more picks

6) The Colts have 72M in cap space for 2018 which is the highest in the NFL.  So hopefully they can bring in some decent free agents to build around the core that we've drafted.  

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Oh yeah absolutely. I'm willing to stomach it because I know long term we'll be better. I guess Ballard kinda helps in that (because if Grigson was the GM right now, nobody would have optimism for the future).

It's just super sad and kinda  comical how literally 2 weeks ago, there was optimism with the team a game back of first place in the division, only for us to lose Turbin, Hooker, and Luck potentially for the season, and lose a bunch of other players too.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't know.  I think most of us knew that Peyton wasn't coming back that season due to the nature of his injury and surgery.  

4 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I don't know.  I think most of us knew that Peyton wasn't coming back that season due to the nature of his injury and surgery.  

Well...I knew we weren't going to the playoffs even if he wasn't but I still thought he was going to make an appearance. Remember they even said they might bring him in the redzone even? Definitely acted like he was going to return for 2012 until Luck fell into their lap. Just saying a lot is similar imo.