Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many more wins will we get?

runthepost

22 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Most of the team is going to play to win. Why? Because they know they may get released from the team after this year. For the rest of the season it will be an audition process to catch the attention of scouts and pick up lucrative deals. 

I understand the reasoning for why there are those who want to lose out and get a high draft pick. But teams don't work that way. If we were truly tanking this year, then why even pick up Brissett, knowing full well that Tolzien is perhaps the worst QB in the market? 

Winning sells. Losing doesn't.

I'm not losing sleep over if this team wins or loses this season. My expectations are at the "meh" level. 

I agree.   To think that teams tank in the NFL is absurd.   The HC has his job on the line as do the players.   They are not going to ruin their stats to tank.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Best case, we finish 6-10(with the most likely beatable teams remaining being Houston game 2, the Broncos, and the Ravens), worse case 3-13.  3-13 is the most plausible at this point.   Regardless, I don't see us falling out of the top 10 in the draft regardless.

3 hours ago, IinD said:

Just commenting on that last part. It's so not true but every year people preach it.

Picking high doesn't mean you get a better player.

Trent Richardson, Ryan Leaf and many others say hello...

Yes but those are rare examples. If we are picking the top 10 we will get a stud player

7 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Yes but those are rare examples. If we are picking the top 10 we will get a stud player

We'll still be picking high. People are losing it because we won one game.

If we don't pick top 3 apparently there aren't any good players after that.

In another thread before the Watson injury I said we SHOULD win a couple more games....I still stand by that. I think we can pull out 1 or 2 more...any of the Denver, Baltimore, or divisional games especially Houston. Still think we land a top 10 pick but we have too much talent to not win another game.

Just now, IinD said:

We'll still be picking high. People are losing it because we won one game.

If we don't pick top 3 apparently there aren't any good players after that.

I don't think anyone is "losing it".   Just admitting the obvious.   The more games they win the lesser chance of getting the player they want.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think anyone is "losing it".   Just admitting the obvious.   The more games they win the lesser chance of getting the player they want.  

The only player that really matters is already on the team. Get him healthy and a lot of issues with this team go away. Regardless if we have the 3rd pick or the 10th pick I am confident Ballard will get some help for Andrew and continue to put better players on the roster through FA as well. With the kind of cap money we will have I look for him to add a couple top tier free agents too...much like he did in signing Hankins. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go out and get a top end WR to help out Luck either...there should be some talented ones out there (Landry, Jeffries, Watkins). This FA class doesn't look too hot but I suspect he will find a couple difference makers and use the draft to build the trenches and LB core.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you go back and reread my comments I said with the exception of needing a QB.

I don't understand people...its like once we know we aren't making the playoffs people want us to just forfeit all our games to get the highest draft pick. I don't know about you but I really enjoyed watching us win yesterday! People can't just enjoy the games and are more worried about a theoretical pick that may or may not help us more than the one we get. I'd love us to win the SB and still get the 1st pick in the draft but its not possible.....so I'll just enjoy the wins and worry about the consequences later. Those worried about a few draft positions need to get a life. Enjoy today...nobody knows what tomorrow holds.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The only player that really matters is already on the team. Get him healthy and a lot of issues with this team go away. Regardless if we have the 3rd pick or the 10th pick I am confident Ballard will get some help for Andrew and continue to put better players on the roster through FA as well. With the kind of cap money we will have I look for him to add a couple top tier free agents too...much like he did in signing Hankins. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go out and get a top end WR to help out Luck either...there should be some talented ones out there (Landry, Jeffries, Watkins). This FA class doesn't look too hot but I suspect he will find a couple difference makers and use the draft to build the trenches and LB core.

I agree with you.  To be honest, a higher draft pick, for me, has almost as much to do with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds.   Some of the players that slip through the first round are scooped up quickly with the first few picks of the second round.  

I think Ballard will do a good job regardless, but I can admit that higher picks are more valuable.  

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you go back and reread my comments I said with the exception of needing a QB.

I know people that use are reaching. I agree, if you need a QB getting the #1 pick is critical if a Peyton or Luck are coming out other than that whether we pick 3rd or 10th it doesn't matter to me. Picking 10th is still real good. I can turn around and say what if we had the #2 pick in 1998 how would've that worked out? Just be a Mr smarty pants, because we would've took Leaf. So picking 2nd would've ruined our franchise.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just to make another point in 1992 we had pick #1 and pick #2. Emtman and Coryatt, how did

that work out?

Citing exceptions again?

So you would rather have the 14th pick in each round than the 4th?   Answer. 

If the draft were today and Cleveland offered you all their picks for all of the Colts, you would not take it?

nonsense

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don't understand people...its like once we know we aren't making the playoffs people want us to just forfeit all our games to get the highest draft pick. I don't know about you but I really enjoyed watching us win yesterday! People can't just enjoy the games and are more worried about a theoretical pick that may or may not help us more than the one we get. I'd love us to win the SB and still get the 1st pick in the draft but its not possible.....so I'll just enjoy the wins and worry about the consequences later. Those worried about a few draft positions need to get a life. Enjoy today...nobody knows what tomorrow holds.

I loved the win yesterday, winning at Houston was awesome considering they have owned us for 2 years.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just to make another point in 1992 we had pick #1 and pick #2. Emtman and Coryatt, how did

that work out?

Yikes...yeah that was a horrible draft....horrible overall...not very many good players in that draft....no HOF players. Imagine what could have been for the Colts if it would have been the following year 93. We select Drew Bledsoe....then a few years later we land Tom Brady and the reversal of fortunes is complete!!!! Bill Belicheck comes to coach us and we have the dynasty instead of New England. Oh how sweet that would have been!

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yikes...yeah that was a horrible draft....horrible overall...not very many good players in that draft....no HOF players. Imagine what could have been for the Colts if it would have been the following year 93. We select Drew Bledsoe....then a few years later we land Tom Brady and the reversal of fortunes is complete!!!! Bill Belicheck comes to coach us and we have the dynasty instead of New England. Oh how sweet that would have been!

Wow, bad draft is right.   12 rounds of crap.   They changed it to 8 rounds the following year.   Then 7 the next.

I looked at the last player taken (Mr. Irrelevant).   An Indiana guy.

Early years

Elliott was born in Carmel, Indiana, in 1968. He attended Carmel High School.[1]

University of Michigan

Elliott enrolled at the University of Michigan in 1987 and played college football for the Michigan Wolverines football teams from 1988 to 1991.[2]

As a sophomore, Elliott started all 11 games, nine at right guard and two at left guard, for the 1989 Michigan Wolverines football team that compiled a 10-2 record and was ranked #7 in the final AP Poll in Bo Schembechler's last season as head coach at Michigan.[3]

As a junior, Elliott started all 12 games, four at left guard and eight at center, for the 1990 Michigan team that compiled a 9–3 record and was ranked #7 in the final AP Poll.[4] Elliott started the season at left guard, but was moved to center after Steve Everitt broke his foot in Michigan's 45–17 victory over Maryland.[5] Elliott was named the co-MVP of the 1991 Gator Bowl at the conclusion of his junior season.[6]

As a senior, Elliott started all 12 games, eight at left guard and four at center, for the 1991 Michigan team that compiled a 10–2 record, won the Big Ten championship, and was ranked #6 in the final AP Poll.[7] Elliott again started the season at left guard, but moved to center for four games after Steve Everitt suffered a broken jaw in the Notre Dame game on September 14, 1991.[8] At the end of the season, he was selected as a first-team All-American and a first-team All-Big Ten player.[7][9]

Professional football

Elliott was selected by the Washington Redskins in the 12th round (336th overall pick) of the 1992 NFL Draft.[1] He was the final selection in the final round of the draft, giving him the designation of Mr. Irrelevant.[10] Despite the moniker, Elliott appeared in 16 games, two as a starter, for the Redskins during the 1992 season.[1] He spent the 1993 season on injured reserve, and he was cut during training camp in 1994.[11]

During the 1994 NFL season, Elliott was unable to sign with another NFL team. Instead, he worked as a sideline reporter covering Washington Redskins games and as a color commentator for high school football games in Loudoun County, Virginia.[11]

In 1995, Elliott attempted a comeback and signed with the Carolina Panthers. When he was announced as a starter for the Panthers during the 1995 preseason, Elliott described it as being "a little like a fairy tale" and "a dream come true."[11] He was the Panthers' starting right guard in 14 games during the 1995 season. The following year, he appeared in 16 regular season games, 12 as a starter, as a center and left guard for the 1996 Carolina Panthers team that compiled a 12–4 record, won the NFC West, and lost to the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship Game.[1] He was dubbed "Lego Man" in 1996 because he started at center and guard and also played some at tackle.[12] In his final NFL season, Elliott appeared in 16 games, six as a starter, as a left guard for the 1997 Panthers.[1] While playing for Carolina, Elliott founded Fatguy Charities to raise money for children.[10]

In four NFL seasons, Elliott appeared in 63 games, 34 as a starter, for the Redskins and Panthers.[1] He played longer in the NFL than any prior player to bear the "Mr. Irrelevant" moniker.[10]

18 hours ago, Myles said:

Just out of curiosity how do you know who they want? Just because you think a player is the one who the Colts need to draft doesn't mean it matches who they think.

Other than the #1 pick the draft never goes in the order the wanna be GMs think they should.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just out of curiosity how do you know who they want?

Is trolling all you do?  

" The more games they win the lesser chance of getting the player they want. "

That is a true and factual statement that I made.  You can keep moving the goal posts in order to avoid your admission of it, but it is still a fact.   It doesn't matter who the Colts like.  If the guy is next on their board, they have a better chance of him still being available with the 3rd pick in the second round than with the fourteenth pick. 

6 hours ago, Myles said:

Is trolling all you do?  

" The more games they win the lesser chance of getting the player they want. "

That is a true and factual statement that I made.  You can keep moving the goal posts in order to avoid your admission of it, but it is still a fact.   It doesn't matter who the Colts like.  If the guy is next on their board, they have a better chance of him still being available with the 3rd pick in the second round than with the fourteenth pick. 

Because I have a difference of opinion on winning and losing you call me a troll? OK,

If you can't understand the difference of having a winning culture over a losing one that's on you.

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Because I have a difference of opinion on winning and losing you call me a troll? OK,

If you can't understand the difference of having a winning culture over a losing one that's on you.

Quit being an *.   You are a troll because you keep pretending I didn't prove you wrong.  

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Quit being an *.   You are a troll because you keep pretending I didn't prove you wrong.  

OMG!! No one proved anything. What is your problem?  If it's that important for you to be right by all means consider yourself self serving. Now you are making personal attacks? Seems fitting for you.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

OMG!! No one proved anything. What is your problem?  If it's that important for you to be right by all means consider yourself self serving. Now you are making personal attacks? Seems fitting for you.

You have proved to be inept at understanding football.

You were trying to argue that having higher draft picks is not better than having lower draft picks.   You were wrong.   You cited exceptions to try to prove your point.  You were wrong.   On average throughout NFL history, better players are had the higher the draft pick.   There is no debating this.   Exceptions are just that - exceptions.   You can kick a field goal with your eyes closed sometimes.  But you will have a better average if you opened your eyes.  

That is what you need to do.   Open your eyes.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

You have proved to be inept at understanding football.

You were trying to argue that having higher draft picks is not better than having lower draft picks.   You were wrong.   You cited exceptions to try to prove your point.  You were wrong.   On average throughout NFL history, better players are had the higher the draft pick.   There is no debating this.   Exceptions are just that - exceptions.   You can kick a field goal with your eyes closed sometimes.  But you will have a better average if you opened your eyes.  

That is what you need to do.   Open your eyes.

You need to quit trying to dictate what my opinion is. It's different than yours, live with it.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You need to quit trying to dictate what my opinion is. It's different than yours, live with it.

You write your opinion very clearly.   It's just not based on fact.  

Are you a flat Earth believer?