Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grades: Week 7 vs Jags

Superman

So, I'm not gonna rewatch this face, so I'll just do grades now while it's fresh in mind.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400951589

Offense:

QB: Several flaws in his approach to this game, most notably, his inability to understand when to get rid of the ball, when to tuck it and run, and when to throw it away. The protection was dreadful, but Brissett ran into pressure repeatedly throughout the game. There was one play where 3 of the Jags 4 rushers fell down at the LOS, and Brissett scrambled directly into the only rusher who was still alive. He was accurate enough when he threw it, besides the deep balls that were late and off target; he threaded a nice one to Rogers on a 3rd and long, but not much else to speak of. He took a beating, and stood in courageously to finish the game (there were questions whether Tolzien would come in as early as the third quarter), but his lack of familiarity with the offense and his lack of polish showed up big time. D, get rid of the ball, please

OL / blocking: None to speak of. Everyone got beat across the line all game. There were spots with sufficient protection; I don't put all ten sacks on the OL, a lot of the pressure was due to the QB not being decisive with the ball. But they didn't do anything worthy of mention. The rushing "attack" got undermined right off the bat, falling behind 14-0 in the first quarter, and then the pass rush started coming in waves. Losing Kelly hurt, but he wasn't helping all the much before. No push in the short yardage run situations, but they did make some holes at times for Gore and Mack. Still too much penetration in the run game. F, end of the day, you gave up 10 sacks and 400 pressures

Backs / receivers / tight ends: Felt like the opener, in that you can't blame the skill guys for disappearing when the QB is playing so poorly, but some oft his goes on the receivers in this one. There were a couple drops, and Aiken had a stupid penalty for which he was benched for a while. Doyle got back on track, somewhat; I think he's had a tough couple months in several aspects, and expect him to get back to his old reliable self moving forward. Hilton gave us the bad "Ghost" this week -- the invisible one. Moncrief didn't even get a legitimate target until the second half. Rogers had a big catch on third down, which was good since he's only just coming back. The backs churned out whatever they could, but often were asked to run straight up the middle where there was nowhere to go. Mack had a drop, and couldn't handle another pass that was too high. D+, your QB needs your help, you have to get open

Defense: 

Defensive front: What had been at times a strength of this team was not today, which is disappointing given the fact that Fournette didn't play. The run fits were sloppy on the inside, the edges weren't contained, and the tackling was sloppy from start to finish. Yeldon made everyone forget about Fournette for three hours, and this was Yeldon's first action of the season. The front did their share of giving up big plays. Henry Anderson had a nice strip sack, and Grover Stewart had a nice run stop, and that's about all the positive I can say. There was very little pressure, they rushed Bortles a couple times, but for the most part he was unbothered. This was maybe the worst tackling performance of the season. D-, losing Simon is concerning because Basham doesn't really know what he's doing

Pass defense: What pass defense? Another 6 pass plays of over 20 yards, including three over 40. Losing Melvin was a problem -- ironic I'm saying that, but he's been our best corner, obviously -- but these are the same problems. We're not good enough to play man coverage across the board, especially at LB, and we're not sound enough to play zone, which is just inexplicable. We can't cover anyone at any level, no matter the opposing skill guys or the QB. We repeatedly got beat on 3rd and long, sometimes with no one near the receiver (recurring theme all season), and this is with an almost unyielding refusal to blitz in the entire first half. Yes, we gave up 282 passing yards in the first half, to Blake Bortles, with mostly 7 man coverages. And then we lost Hooker (on another busted play up the sideline, due to missed tackles). F, the secondary at times looks like no one knows what they're supposed to be doing

Special teams: INC

Coaching: Just giving a collective F here (sorry McMahon). The gameplans on both sides of the ball got exploited, we couldn't stop the Jags on defense, and we couldn't move the ball on offense. We tried the same things over and over, but got burned in every way imaginable. The offense didn't do anything to stop the pressure or keep the QB clean. The defense got torched in the same ways they've been getting torched all season, plus we couldn't stop the run. And Chuck absolutely BLEW IT not challenging the Marquis Lee fumble out of bounds. That should have been a touchback to the Colts, easily. 

Next up: @ Bengals. Two weeks ago, there was optimism, as Luck was getting closer, Kelly was back, the team looked like it was getting some things going. Now, we're firmly in last place in one of the worst divisions in football, our backup QB who has played his heart out has slowed down dramatically, and we're losing more and more of our best players. 

Go Colts, I guess...

I can't agree with you saying we're not good enough to run man. Reason why is because WERE ALWAYS PLAYING ZONE you can't say we can't play man when we're rarely ever in it.. 2 of our corners have always been great in man coverage Butler and Davis..Hairston usually always is with his reciever..Melvin excels in Zone..Wilson doesn't get to play the only thing we'd have to worry about is the Inside backers playing man which we need to put Green in at Lb or George  but come on to say we can't play man is nonsense we played Solid Press man coverage with toler Landry Adams Davis butler in the secondary and you're telling me we aren't good enough with better Young talent..

21 hours ago, will426 said:

I can't agree with you saying we're not good enough to run man. Reason why is because WERE ALWAYS PLAYING ZONE you can't say we can't play man when we're rarely ever in it.. 2 of our corners have always been great in man coverage Butler and Davis..Hairston usually always is with his reciever..Melvin excels in Zone..Wilson doesn't get to play the only thing we'd have to worry about is the Inside backers playing man which we need to put Green in at Lb or George  but come on to say we can't play man is nonsense we played Solid Press man coverage with toler Landry Adams Davis butler in the secondary and you're telling me we aren't good enough with better Young talent..

We play plenty of man, and we get beat when we play man. Melvin is better in zone. Hairston has been very good. Davis hasn't looked that great overall, but I think part of that is the mix of coverages. Butler hasn't been sticky in man coverage in three years.

And even if we do stick with man coverage on the outside, what happens to the ILBs? They get torched, routinely. 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, Superman said:

So, I'm not gonna rewatch this face, so I'll just do grades now while it's fresh in mind.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400951589

Offense:

QB: Several flaws in his approach to this game, most notably, his inability to understand when to get rid of the ball, when to tuck it and run, and when to throw it away. The protection was dreadful, but Brissett ran into pressure repeatedly throughout the game. There was one play where 3 of the Jags 4 rushers fell down at the LOS, and Brissett scrambled directly into the only rusher who was still alive. He was accurate enough when he threw it, besides the deep balls that were late and off target; he threaded a nice one to Rogers on a 3rd and long, but not much else to speak of. He took a beating, and stood in courageously to finish the game (there were questions whether Tolzien would come in as early as the third quarter), but his lack of familiarity with the offense and his lack of polish showed up big time. D, get rid of the ball, please

OL / blocking: None to speak of. Everyone got beat across the line all game. There were spots with sufficient protection; I don't put all ten sacks on the OL, a lot of the pressure was due to the QB not being decisive with the ball. But they didn't do anything worthy of mention. The rushing "attack" got undermined right off the bat, falling behind 14-0 in the first quarter, and then the pass rush started coming in waves. Losing Kelly hurt, but he wasn't helping all the much before. No push in the short yardage run situations, but they did make some holes at times for Gore and Mack. Still too much penetration in the run game. F, end of the day, you gave up 10 sacks and 400 pressures

Backs / receivers / tight ends: Felt like the opener, in that you can't blame the skill guys for disappearing when the QB is playing so poorly, but some oft his goes on the receivers in this one. There were a couple drops, and Aiken had a stupid penalty for which he was benched for a while. Doyle got back on track, somewhat; I think he's had a tough couple months in several aspects, and expect him to get back to his old reliable self moving forward. Hilton gave us the bad "Ghost" this week -- the invisible one. Moncrief didn't even get a legitimate target until the second half. Rogers had a big catch on third down, which was good since he's only just coming back. The backs churned out whatever they could, but often were asked to run straight up the middle where there was nowhere to go. Mack had a drop, and couldn't handle another pass that was too high. D+, your QB needs your help, you have to get open

Defense: 

Defensive front: What had been at times a strength of this team was not today, which is disappointing given the fact that Fournette didn't play. The run fits were sloppy on the inside, the edges weren't contained, and the tackling was sloppy from start to finish. Yeldon made everyone forget about Fournette for three hours, and this was Yeldon's first action of the season. The front did their share of giving up big plays. Henry Anderson had a nice strip sack, and Grover Stewart had a nice run stop, and that's about all the positive I can say. There was very little pressure, they rushed Bortles a couple times, but for the most part he was unbothered. This was maybe the worst tackling performance of the season. D-, losing Simon is concerning because Basham doesn't really know what he's doing

Pass defense: What pass defense? Another 6 pass plays of over 20 yards, including three over 40. Losing Melvin was a problem -- ironic I'm saying that, but he's been our best corner, obviously -- but these are the same problems. We're not good enough to play man coverage across the board, especially at LB, and we're not sound enough to play zone, which is just inexplicable. We can't cover anyone at any level, no matter the opposing skill guys or the QB. We repeatedly got beat on 3rd and long, sometimes with no one near the receiver (recurring theme all season), and this is with an almost unyielding refusal to blitz in the entire first half. Yes, we gave up 282 passing yards in the first half, to Blake Bortles, with mostly 7 man coverages. And then we lost Hooker (on another busted play up the sideline, due to missed tackles). F, the secondary at times looks like no one knows what they're supposed to be doing

Special teams: INC

Coaching: Just giving a collective F here (sorry McMahon). The gameplans on both sides of the ball got exploited, we couldn't stop the Jags on defense, and we couldn't move the ball on offense. We tried the same things over and over, but got burned in every way imaginable. The offense didn't do anything to stop the pressure or keep the QB clean. The defense got torched in the same ways they've been getting torched all season, plus we couldn't stop the run. And Chuck absolutely BLEW IT not challenging the Marquis Lee fumble out of bounds. That should have been a touchback to the Colts, easily. 

Next up: @ Bengals. Two weeks ago, there was optimism, as Luck was getting closer, Kelly was back, the team looked like it was getting some things going. Now, we're firmly in last place in one of the worst divisions in football, our backup QB who has played his heart out has slowed down dramatically, and we're losing more and more of our best players. 

Go Colts, I guess...

Chuck has made dumb decisions all season long not challenging when he should dumb timeouts at stupid times of the game could keep going on and on.

On NFL Radio on Sirius XM, today, Pat Kirin (whose opinions I respect a lot) basically said that Pagano getting canned during the season is simply not going to happen.  Guess those of us that have seen enough of Pagan and his coordinators poor game-planning will just have to grin and bear it through the rest of this season.  Sad state of affairs.

Btw, Sup, I pretty much agree with your grades, though I don’t think I would be quite so harsh on Gore & Mack.   I think they do all they can for how ineffectually they are utilized.   Basically, for too many years now, the zcolts have had the most poorly conceived running game plan that I have ever seen.  

Thevthing that hat makes all of this oh so much more of a disappointment is that when Pagano was brought in, it was all hyped as establishing s effective running game and stout defense.  Opposite has occurred.