Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colin Cowherd Theory on Colts

brently76

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah but what happens if the supply of QB's coming into the NFL in 18 go to the QB starved teams and they pan out?  The teams that needed a QB found their guy.   Now the demand in 19 is not so much. The likelihood of that happening is probably not that great but it could.   But if Brissett does have a solid year with this team he might become as coveted as Garapolo.  He would have proved himself whereas the incoming rookies have yet to take a snap.  In that case we might get a 2 or even a 1.  To me his value all hinges on how he performs the rest of the way.  And if he continues to improve we are in a great position.  

If I may ask....   scroll back up about 8-10 posts and see the post from PONYBOY....    he's got a very nice breakdown of teams that will likely be interested in a QB in the next several years.  

I think think you'll see the projected demand for QBs looks to be strong for years...     it's the nature of the position...   there aren't 32 great QBs in any given year.    Never are.     That will hopefully help the Colts going forward...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Years ago i enjoyed Cowherd much more than now.

Cowherd, Rich Eisen, and Dan Patrick are bigger egomaniacs than Trump:  they just LOVE the sound of their voices.  The type of people that talk in the 3rd person.

leave politics out of this forum.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In 15 you had INWston and Mariotta....      and then?

In 16 yu had Goff and Wentz,   who were not the top two rated players in the draft,  they went 1-2 because they're quarterbacks and teams wanted to make sure they'd get the guys they wanted.

Here's what we're looking at in 18....

Sam Darnold        USC      Top-5 and possible #1

Josh Rosen          UCLA    Top-10 possible top 5

Josh Allen            Wyoming   Top-15 and possible top 10

Mason Rudolph     Okla St.     Possible 1st round,  but should be a 2nd rounder

Lamar Jackson      Louisville   Possible 1st round,  but should be a 2nd rounder

Baker Mayfield       Okla          Possible 1st round,   but should be a 2nd rounder

Luke Falk             Wash St.      Possible 2nd round,  no later than 3rd

Nick Fitzgerald     Miss St.       Possible 3rd round,  but more likely 3rd or 4th.

Riley Ferguson     Memphis    Possible 3rd round,   but more likely 3rd or 4th

Brandon Silvers       Troy        Possible 4th,  but maybe 5th

Mike White           W. Kent      Possible 4th,   but maybe 5th.

This is a big class.     It's not just two guys at the top.      We had 3 guys go in the 1st this year,    Trubisky,  Mahomes and Watson.      I think the 3 guys who look like 1's compare very favorably to the 17 class.    And there's good talent in rounds 2 and 3 and maybe even 4.       This class has talent at the top and depth that could go 4, 5 rounds.

I'm not the guy calling this a great class of QB's....    evaluators are.     That's why a number of posters here have suggested trading Luck and taking a kid at the top of the 1st and start over....

I would rather have Brisset than Darnold.   He is WAY over rated.   Reminds me of Ryan Leaf

52 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

leave politics out of this forum.

With some of the crap you spew you have the nerve to say that?  Was that Sooooo important to you that you had to assume it was a political jab ?  It was merely a point of reference that EVERYONE would understand the level of ego i was going for.

this is the problem in the world.  Everyone waits for someone to say ANYTHING that has any crazy twisted link to something else.

i guess, in hindsight, i should have thought of someone else to use as a "benchmark."  But in many's eyes, he IS the benchmark.

god i'm sick of all this politically correct stuff.  Its really gotten old walking on eggshells with every word:

i make NO apologies.  I know where my heart is and my true intentions:  i could care less what everyone else thinks:

peace

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He looks terrible tonight

He didn't handle the pass rush well at all. Other than that, he threw the ball well.

He does turn the ball over too much, and is maybe overrated, but I think he's a good passer and a mature teammate. Leaf's issues were mostly attitude and ego. I see those issues in Rosen, not at all in Darnold. 

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

He didn't handle the pass rush well at all. Other than that, he threw the ball well.

He does turn the ball over too much, and is maybe overrated, but I think he's a good passer and a mature teammate. Leaf's issues were mostly attitude and ego. I see those issues in Rosen, not at all in Darnold. 

I don't think he is great.  He isn't number 1 overall good

Colin is all over the place. There is “some” truth to what he is saying, but his timelines are way off. We did not know we could trade for Brissett until we did. 

What Colin does get right is how this is all going to work out well for the Colts. 

#COLTS2018

16 hours ago, DougDew said:

He presents current events as being the result of some sort of master plan created by Ballard in April.  Like the recent cortisone shot is some excuse to shelve Luck. 

I think Luck got a shot because his shoulder was sore, and wouldn't have gotten a shot if his shoulder wasn't sore.

He also presents theory that Ballard thinks Brissett is a franchise QB, and traded for him and is playing him to showcase that to the league. 

The problem with that is Cowherd thinks that Ballard is the only person in the world who was able to judge Brissett when he was in NE, and that no other GM knew this big secret of Brissett being a franchise QB, and had to be showcased by Ballard before they could figure it out.

Its not some big master plan.  Events unfold as they happen.  It might work out the way Cowherd says, but its not because Ballard schemed the whole thing back in April and knew so much more about a third string QB on another team than the rest of the league knew.

Its another theory rooted in the love of his own intellect...where Ballard is presented as being so much smarter as a method to validate the hateful comments he continuously made against Grigson. 

Its a common error.  A lot of people interpret current events in ways that support previous comments and persistent opinions so they can continue to believe they were right.

Yeah, Colin lost me when he said Brissett had franchise QB potential too. I burst out laughing. I like Jacoby as a capable backup to hold down the fort in Luck's absence & that's it. He gives us no trading bargaining chip at all. I think Ballard should keep him as our longterm 2nd string QB if possible since he bootleg scrambles well, throws with consistent velocity when he decides on a TE or WR, & he appears to shake off interceptions & keep his head in the game. You can't really teach that trait. You either have it or you don't. 

8 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I like Brissett but at this point he has to show a lot more to be someone that another team will give up a high pick for.

Exactly, I don't see an overwhelming demand for Jacoby in other cities after this season either RR7. I do like him as a security blanket down the road if Luck ever gets put on IR again. When you pinpoint a decent backup, you keep him around as long as possible. 

I don't mind if Luck misses the whole yr if that means he's fully healed & throwing by August of 2018 personally. 

Plus, I like that Bill Parcels AKA "The Tuna" was his mentor in his formative yrs or just a good football mind to bounce ideas off of & develop a thick skin. 

Yes, I know my big blue NY Giants bias is showing. I'll own that. LOL! 

6 hours ago, dw49 said:

Oh... I don't think it's likely Ballard would get even a 3 yet alone a 2 for Brissett. And it could very well be that his best value for the Colts after this year is being Luck's backup in 2018 -2019. There are plenty of good athletes with good size and a big arm that are not capable of being an average starter in the NFL. Don't you think it's VERY possible that Brissett has some of the same "shortcomings as RG3 ?  Ghosts in the pocket , footwork issues and seeing and reading the whole field ? 

IMO , Brissett at this point in time is probably worth something from the middle of round 4 to the middle of round 5. 

So far,  I confess I don't think of RG3 when I watch Brissett.      I think he's much more of a pocket passer than RG3 ever was.    I saw RG3 as an athlete who could play QB.      I see Brissett as a QB who has some athleticism.

Brissett is taller,  bigger,  heavier.     Not nearly the athlete but much more a physical presense.   6'4" 235 vs. 6'2" and 220.     I think Brissett is going through the normal young QB growth that most every young QB goes through.     I'd expect over time he makes fewer and fewer mistakes.    

As for what we'd get for Brissett in a trade....    I don't know if you spend any time in the chat room during a game,  but this past Monday,  I spent some time there,  and when Brissett was good (1st half)  the Colts fans there had us gettng at least a 1st round draft pick for him,  and possibly even more!     I think a Day 2 pick is not far off,   he was taken in the 3rd round and demonstrated a good level of competence in a short amount of time.      I suppose it's possible he'd get only a 4,    but I don't see Brissett getting traded for a 5.     I think Ballard would much rather keep him than trade him for that.

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Years ago i enjoyed Cowherd much more than now.

Cowherd, Rich Eisen, and Dan Patrick are bigger egomaniacs than Trump:  they just LOVE the sound of their voices.  The type of people that talk in the 3rd person.

None of those people talk in the 3rd person seriously.

If any of those three talk in the third perosn,   they are mocking themselves and others who do.

And having worked with on-air people who have huge talents,  I think I can say confidently that none of these three guys has an ego the way the current occupent of the White House does.     Not even close.     That man is in a league of his own.

Apologies for the political talk.

Sucks for this season, but in the long run for the Colts it's probably the best option.  He may be right too.  I think this is one reason Andrew has been so quiet.  He may very well indeed know this plan, be uncomfortable lying to people about it, so he stays silent.  I'm glad I opted out of my season tix this season though.

7 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

With some of the crap you spew you have the nerve to say that?  Was that Sooooo important to you that you had to assume it was a political jab ?  It was merely a point of reference that EVERYONE would understand the level of ego i was going for.

this is the problem in the world.  Everyone waits for someone to say ANYTHING that has any crazy twisted link to something else.

i guess, in hindsight, i should have thought of someone else to use as a "benchmark."  But in many's eyes, he IS the benchmark.

god i'm sick of all this politically correct stuff.  Its really gotten old walking on eggshells with every word:

i make NO apologies.  I know where my heart is and my true intentions:  i could care less what everyone else thinks:

peace

I'm not politically correct at all, in fact, I hate politically correct people. However, there's always a double standard when it comes to this. Just make sure to call out both sides (white and black, Trump and Hillary), and I won't have a problem with it. It's the new "fad" to hate Trump, when Obama was much worse and he didn't get hate because he was Black.

15 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Love your optimism and in-depth assessment of the team and coaching staff (they’re garbage), as well as your ability to see into the future as to how well the Oline will play. 

What I find to be funny is how Ballard calmly explains that they expected the possibility of some soreness, but Andrew had good velocity and arm strength and that they were NOT talking about putting him on IR and now we have this nonsense, not only from fans, but from local and national media. 

IMO you are spot on. Some of this crap reads like a National Inquirer.

2 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

if we get in the top five i do beleive we will trade down and  heck two or three and get two first rounder plus more and we can trade down again possibly some more

I think the ceiling is 3rd (behind the Browns and 49ers), however anywhere between 3-10 is very likely and good trade bait to get an extra 1st rounder IMO. At worst, a solid pass rusher should be there for us, at best, we can trade down multiple times and use this pick as a big part in fixing the team.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think the ceiling is 3rd (behind the Browns and 49ers), however anywhere between 3-10 is very likely and good trade bait to get an extra 1st rounder IMO. At worst, a solid pass rusher should be there for us, at best, we can trade down multiple times and use this pick as a big part in fixing the team.

I can see a solid pass rusher i the first 10 to 14 rounds...I know we need a line, wr, and a push rusher, heck throw in a corner while we are at too.

1 minute ago, Freenyfan102 said:

I can see a solid pass rusher i the first 10 to 14 rounds...I know we need a line, wr, and a push rusher, heck throw in a corner while we are at too.

I would hope we take a WR in the mid to late rounds. As Hilton seems to be the main beneficiary all the time. However, Chud should be gone after this season, so his playbook will go as well. I still say take a pass rusher, a CB, and an O-Lineman in the first 3 rounds and we'll be well on our way. An RB and a WR after that along with a WR in FA should help as well.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would hope we take a WR in the mid to late rounds. As Hilton seems to be the main beneficiary all the time. However, Chud should be gone after this season, so his playbook will go as well. I still say take a pass rusher, a CB, and an O-Lineman in the first 3 rounds and we'll be well on our way. An RB and a WR after that along with a WR in FA should help as well.

I can see a Wr, line, de  then Cb sorry we need  true number 1 and TY is not it...the more he get shut down the more reason i think he a better slot with his speed

1 minute ago, Freenyfan102 said:

I can see a Wr, line, de  then Cb sorry we need  true number 1 and TY is not it...the more he get shut down the more reason i think he a better slot with his speed

He probably is better as a slot receiver. However, Chud has to go before this could work like you say.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He probably is better as a slot receiver. However, Chud has to go before this could work like you say.

Both Pagano and Chub both need to go> i can see the Colts give Harbaugh a call and offer him a 10 m a year for coaching but idk if he will get it. So idk we might get a new coach out of either out the Rams, Seahawks, or New England or of the Saint Imploded Sean Payton

8 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah, Colin lost me when he said Brissett had franchise QB potential too. I burst out laughing. I like Jacoby as a capable backup to hold down the fort in Luck's absence & that's it. He gives us no trading bargaining chip at all. I think Ballard should keep him as our longterm 2nd string QB if possible since he bootleg scrambles well, throws with consistent velocity when he decides on a TE or WR, & he appears to shake off interceptions & keep his head in the game. You can't really teach that trait. You either have it or you don't. 

Exactly, I don't see an overwhelming demand for Jacoby in other cities after this season either RR7. I do like him as a security blanket down the road if Luck ever gets put on IR again. When you pinpoint a decent backup, you keep him around as long as possible. 

I don't mind if Luck misses the whole yr if that means he's fully healed & throwing by August of 2018 personally. 

Plus, I like that Bill Parcels AKA "The Tuna" was his mentor in his formative yrs or just a good football mind to bounce ideas off of & develop a thick skin. 

Yes, I know my big blue NY Giants bias is showing. I'll own that. LOL! 

Brissett is a nice QB, but teams will be looking to draft their starting QB and not giving the Colts a high round pick instead.  Brissett can be a stop gap, but teams give late round draft picks for stop gaps or sign them to mid level contracts once their current contract expires. 

Brissett may gain value as he plays more, and then might command more, but right now I don't see him being considered a franchise QB where another team would pay much. 

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not politically correct at all, in fact, I hate politically correct people. However, there's always a double standard when it comes to this. Just make sure to call out both sides (white and black, Trump and Hillary), and I won't have a problem with it. It's the new "fad" to hate Trump, when Obama was much worse and he didn't get hate because he was Black.

Sorry i went off yesterday.  You struck a nerve. I dont hate "you know who." i wasnt bashing "you know who".  I was bashing the other 3 nitwits.

i still dont apologize for my point, rather how i reacted to the typical expected overboard reaction to using "you know who's" name.

people in this country need to grow up and relax.  We have become weak of mind AND heart. Lazy and fat on the hard work and accomplishments of our forefathers. Its embarrassing. 

We used to settle our own problems "in the schoolyard of life, now

we run ,crying to the principal...... "he called me a name....wahhhh."

its pathetic what we've become.

man up people!

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So far,  I confess I don't think of RG3 when I watch Brissett.      I think he's much more of a pocket passer than RG3 ever was.    I saw RG3 as an athlete who could play QB.      I see Brissett as a QB who has some athleticism.

Brissett is taller,  bigger,  heavier.     Not nearly the athlete but much more a physical presense.   6'4" 235 vs. 6'2" and 220.     I think Brissett is going through the normal young QB growth that most every young QB goes through.     I'd expect over time he makes fewer and fewer mistakes.    

As for what we'd get for Brissett in a trade....    I don't know if you spend any time in the chat room during a game,  but this past Monday,  I spent some time there,  and when Brissett was good (1st half)  the Colts fans there had us gettng at least a 1st round draft pick for him,  and possibly even more!     I think a Day 2 pick is not far off,   he was taken in the 3rd round and demonstrated a good level of competence in a short amount of time.      I suppose it's possible he'd get only a 4,    but I don't see Brissett getting traded for a 5.     I think Ballard would much rather keep him than trade him for that.

I don't see him as an RG3 clone either . But what I'm saying is he has some of the same things that need correcting. 

Both have

1) Less than good footwork.

2) Pocket Presence is iffy

3) Neither seems good at seeing the whole field (finding the open receiver)

Also as to QB's being drafted in say the second or third round and not "disappointing" meaning they should bring at least that in a trade. That just doesn't seem to be the case. Mallett from NE was a good example of that . He was drafted in the 3rd round and said to be a steal. Everyone thought he looked very good for NE and thus according to some ,should bring a 2nd or a 3rd. He was traded the beginning of his contract year for a conditional 6th. Not saying you are saying he'd bring a second or a third .. just addressing the issue. If I had to guess , I would say he'd bring a 4th as we speak.  

On 10/21/2017 at 1:12 AM, GoColts8818 said:

You know I don’t get some people all summer people complained the Colts didn’t have a good back QB then as soon as the Colts get one it’s oh what can we get for him with a trade?

Now Now. It is ALL about our many needs. IMO, it is just that simple.
  The better move is to dump Lucky. lol