Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colin Cowherd Theory on Colts

brently76

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it, love every bit of it. I had not heard about the cortisone shot. I wanted him eliminated from this season from game one. Hopefully Ballard is as smart as Cowherd thinks. Hopefully they will make an official call in a couple weeks one way or another but the deafening silence from the front office says it all. I hope it all pans out like Cowherd's theory. I have watched several other sports journalists express a similar take on this in recent days. "Save the best for last." If this does materialize the Colts will get back to respectability.

Makes sense and I think he's on to something. The league may be wide open this year for the super bowl contenders, but we are incapable of making it with the current roster and coaches. I think we could get a solid player and a 3rd or later pick for Brissett (maybe a better one). If we land in the top 7 pick area, we are bound to get an offer to trade back, get another first, second, and 4th or 5th. 

Keep Castanzo, Kelly, and Haeg where they are and get a good guard (Haeg didn't allow a QB pressure vs Ten). 

I been considering this year a reset year with every teams skill level (0-10) at about the same between 2-7 (8 and above being near dominant to elite). I think we're at about a 4 without Luck and we could really come out next year and shock the NFL. 

For now though, let's get out there and take some W's! Go Colts!!

Here's the problem with Colin's theory....

If you want to trade Brissett -- fine.   But you DON'T want to trade him in the 2018 draft.     It's the best and deepest draft for QB's in a long, long time.    That drives Brissett's value DOWN.

If you're going to trade Brissett it's much better to do it for the 2019 draft which won't be as talented and that will make Brissett's value go UP.

Simple law of supply and demand.

But in broad general terms, I think there's some logic to Colin's theory.   I just don't think this is as cut and dry as he makes it out to be.    This didn't all get hatched back in January when Ballard was hired.    This has played out over the course of the entire year.    Lots and lots of moving parts that have happened over the last nine months and didn't all happen back when Ballard was hired.

Interesting,  but somewhat over thought.

I agree that they  planned on Luck sitting the entire year but i'm not sure about the JB part.  I don't even think they considered that until it became obvious that Tolzein was absolute trash. But Luck sitting out was always the plan in my opinion and Irsay simply lied and dangled that carrot that he would return  in front of the fan base to get them to renew season tickets and keep attending games and buying concessions. Every thing that has happened has just been a piece of the plan, from his removal from pup, to his "practice" sessions of every other day, to now his setback. And as i said the other day and as Colin also said, give it a couple weeks and he will be officially done for the year.  Was listening to Dakich on 1070 the other day and he said he was told from someone who is as close as it gets to Luck besides his own family, and he was told Luck aint playing and this was all done for ticket sales.  Apparently Dakich brought this up weeks ago as well before the "setback" even happened. 

Excellent theory except Colin should have also added that Pagano and coaching staff will also be turned over for Ballard's own pick of head coach and coaching staff. NFL.com already believes Pagano is a lame duck and no Andrew Luck to bail him out this year. Looking forward to a fresh start all around next year.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

You know I don’t get some people all summer people complained the Colts didn’t have a good back QB then as soon as the Colts get one it’s oh what can we get for him with a trade?

I wasn't implying that I wanted to trade him. I was simply providing a segment that I thought was interesting. Time will tell how this plays out. 

6 minutes ago, brently76 said:

I wasn't implying that I wanted to trade him. I was simply providing a segment that I thought was interesting. Time will tell how this plays out. 

That’s fair wasn’t a shot at you.  The idea of trading him has been brought up many times here.  Personally I am just happy to keep him as a backup.

I like his theory but I really don't think that's what ballards plan was... I think he wanted a good back up for luck and brissett fit that bill. I also think he was intending on luck being back. If he knew he was going to be out all year you would assume ballard would have drafted a qb? Either way I hope what ever his plan is it works out for the best!

17 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I like his theory but I really don't think that's what ballards plan was... I think he wanted a good back up for luck and brissett fit that bill. I also think he was intending on luck being back. If he knew he was going to be out all year you would assume ballard would have drafted a qb? Either way I hope what ever his plan is it works out for the best!

I agree.  This would also mean Andrew was knowingly deceiving the fan base.  Can anyone really see Ballard telling Andrew to "play along, we gotta sell tickets.  Never mind your principles and values."?     Too many holes and too much conjecture, but thats Cowherd.  He loves the sound of his voice.  And his sidekick Christine Leahy gets on my nerves too.  I'd like her much more if she kept her mouth shut.

It is an interesting theory and will be one to see how it plays out.  Ballard already got a steal by getting Brissett for so little, Dorsett is doing absolutely nothing in New England.  

I can definitely see Ballard trading down for extra picks if they Colts are at the top of the draft, which they should be. This team has a lot of holes and really don't need a top 5 pick for what they need.  

This whole Andrew Luck thing feels a lot like what Cowherd is talking about.  Not risking Luck on this bad team and making sure he is 100% next year.  I wonder if he would have been deactivated had the Colts beat Tennessee?  

The point he missed was Pagano and it has been pointed out several times.  Even with Luck, this team isn't going to have a deep run in the playoffs and possibly miss them.  But he probably could have done just enough to possibly save Pagano's job once again.  Not having Luck ensures that the Colts will have a losing season although Brissett is actually a good enough QB to win on a better team.  If the Colts didn't get Brissett and stuck with Tolzien, it would have been a good enough excuse to possibly save Pagano's job.  Nobody could have won with Tolzien, but there are teams with QBs at Brissett's level that have winning records. 

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

You know I don’t get some people all summer people complained the Colts didn’t have a good back QB then as soon as the Colts get one it’s oh what can we get for him with a trade?

I'm with you, we get a quality backup QB for cheap and fans want to just trade away?  I'd like for them to hold onto Brissett for a year or two anyways. I'm fine with trading back in the draft but I wouldn't give up Brissett at-least until his contract year.

6 hours ago, indy1888 said:

I agree that they  planned on Luck sitting the entire year but i'm not sure about the JB part.  I don't even think they considered that until it became obvious that Tolzein was absolute trash. But Luck sitting out was always the plan in my opinion and Irsay simply lied and dangled that carrot that he would return  in front of the fan base to get them to renew season tickets and keep attending games and buying concessions. Every thing that has happened has just been a piece of the plan, from his removal from pup, to his "practice" sessions of every other day, to now his setback. And as i said the other day and as Colin also said, give it a couple weeks and he will be officially done for the year.  Was listening to Dakich on 1070 the other day and he said he was told from someone who is as close as it gets to Luck besides his own family, and he was told Luck aint playing and this was all done for ticket sales.  Apparently Dakich brought this up weeks ago as well before the "setback" even happened. 

See I disagree.  If Irsay was that way, we'd seen manning practicing back in 2011. I think there has been multiple small set backs along the way that they weren't expecting and they got caught with their pants down on the whole thing. If they were truly tanking this season and had planned on it, they'd kept Dorset and ran with Tolzein and ignored what the fans cried about. The trade for Brissett tells me that they were hoping to stay competitive until Luck gets back, if, and to be frank, take away the 4th quarter collapses and we are 4-1 and having a discussion of whether we truly need Luck and how awesome pagano is. But we are 2-3, barely

He presents current events as being the result of some sort of master plan created by Ballard in April.  Like the recent cortisone shot is some excuse to shelve Luck. 

I think Luck got a shot because his shoulder was sore, and wouldn't have gotten a shot if his shoulder wasn't sore.

He also presents theory that Ballard thinks Brissett is a franchise QB, and traded for him and is playing him to showcase that to the league. 

The problem with that is Cowherd thinks that Ballard is the only person in the world who was able to judge Brissett when he was in NE, and that no other GM knew this big secret of Brissett being a franchise QB, and had to be showcased by Ballard before they could figure it out.

Its not some big master plan.  Events unfold as they happen.  It might work out the way Cowherd says, but its not because Ballard schemed the whole thing back in April and knew so much more about a third string QB on another team than the rest of the league knew.

Its another theory rooted in the love of his own intellect...where Ballard is presented as being so much smarter as a method to validate the hateful comments he continuously made against Grigson. 

Its a common error.  A lot of people interpret current events in ways that support previous comments and persistent opinions so they can continue to believe they were right.

What "The Unknown" is when Luck is classified as fully recovered will his skill level be changed and no one can say until he plays the game. Some injuries never go away. So even he can play how good will he be? If he is impacted in a negative way this could throw a wrench in to all plans. Hopefully Ballard is the type of manager he has this possibility in hi scheme.

To all you saying it's genius if this theory is true, then you're a fan of being lied to by the owner and franchise QB all so they could sell tickets.  

That's pretty despicable if true and unforgivable for me.  

If it comes out that they knew he probably wasn't going to play, then I'm done with this team.  

Period.

12 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

To all you saying it's genius if this theory is true, then you're a fan of being lied to by the owner and franchise QB all so they could sell tickets.  

If it comes out that they knew he probably wasn't going to play, then I'm done with this team.  

Period.

they didnt decide this back when ballard came in.  luck probably had a set back, and is now approaching the long end of the recovery time frame

any surgery will have an expected recovery window though, and they may have been less than completely honest about what the long end of that could be

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

what if the line is no better next year?  should we sit luck for that season too?  no guarantees at all that this is the offseasn we "fix" the line

we need to hang on to brissett for a while unless somebody wants to over pay too.

I am glad our fan base doesn't run the team. Luck would never play another game. "Well the line is bad again this year, lets just sit him again all year." Its such an absurd argument. Do other fan bases talk like that when their QBs get hurt?

Hell, playing behind a good line guarantees nothing. Tony Romo played behind arguably one of the greatest o lines in modern NFL history, and he would still get hurt. 

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I am glad our fan base doesn't run the team. Luck would never play another game. "Well the line is bad again this year, lets just sit him again all year." Its such an absurd argument. Do other fan bases talk like that when their QBs get hurt?

Hell, playing behind a good line guarantees nothing. Tony Romo played behind arguably one of the greatest o lines in modern NFL history, and he would still get hurt. 

You would be the GM of the team in a heartbeat if offered the job, and so would I. I remember talking to Superman back in Chat during a game this year, and he said if offered the job as HC, he'd take it in an instant. He just said we wouldn't like him very much, LOL. Anyone with an ounce of ambition would want to run this team though, and so would you knowing you as a poster.

11 hours ago, brently76 said:

http://www.foxsports.com/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1077080643624

I didn't see this anywhere but feel free to remove if it has. I thought this was an interesting segment. Thoughts? 

I thought this was happening when he didn't participate in training camp. I thought Ballard knew this team was bad from the start. He didn't want to put Luck out there with this o- line anyway. I do think Ballard is smart and has had a master plan along. That's why I've been looking towards next season before this season even started. 

37 minutes ago, ricker182 said:

Period.

That may true but when we win next year all will be forgiven. 

10 hours ago, dgouvion said:

Excellent theory except Colin should have also added that Pagano and coaching staff will also be turned over for Ballard's own pick of head coach and coaching staff. NFL.com already believes Pagano is a lame duck and no Andrew Luck to bail him out this year. Looking forward to a fresh start all around next year.

Yes, me to

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here's the problem with Colin's theory....

If you want to trade Brissett -- fine.   But you DON'T want to trade him in the 2018 draft.     It's the best and deepest draft for QB's in a long, long time.    That drives Brissett's value DOWN.

If you're going to trade Brissett it's much better to do it for the 2019 draft which won't be as talented and that will make Brissett's value go UP.

Simple law of supply and demand.

But in broad general terms, I think there's some logic to Colin's theory.   I just don't think this is as cut and dry as he makes it out to be.    This didn't all get hatched back in January when Ballard was hired.    This has played out over the course of the entire year.    Lots and lots of moving parts that have happened over the last nine months and didn't all happen back when Ballard was hired.

Interesting,  but somewhat over thought.

Here's the problem with your theory...

If it's true that this a great draft for QB's wouldn't those QB's already be in place for the 2019 draft anyway. 

Brissett is proven in the NFL and is young those QB's in college now aren't proven in the NFL. 

So with all due respect to you, your theory doesn't hold water. 

5 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

I actually really hope this happens. Best case scenario for the team

Actually, the best case scenario for this team is getting Luck and others back, playing better and winning a SB. The NFL this year is wide open, especially the AFC South

11 hours ago, King Colt said:

Love it, love every bit of it. I had not heard about the cortisone shot. I wanted him eliminated from this season from game one. Hopefully Ballard is as smart as Cowherd thinks. Hopefully they will make an official call in a couple weeks one way or another but the deafening silence from the front office says it all. I hope it all pans out like Cowherd's theory. I have watched several other sports journalists express a similar take on this in recent days. "Save the best for last." If this does materialize the Colts will get back to respectability.

Well, KC is very good despite there losses lately. He had a part in building that team. 

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

See I disagree.  If Irsay was that way, we'd seen manning practicing back in 2011. I think there has been multiple small set backs along the way that they weren't expecting and they got caught with their pants down on the whole thing. If they were truly tanking this season and had planned on it, they'd kept Dorset and ran with Tolzein and ignored what the fans cried about. The trade for Brissett tells me that they were hoping to stay competitive until Luck gets back, if, and to be frank, take away the 4th quarter collapses and we are 4-1 and having a discussion of whether we truly need Luck and how awesome pagano is. But we are 2-3, barely

If there has been multiple setbacks, then the Colts and Irsay have lied repeatedly to the fans to sell tickets.  They have said time and time again there has been no setbacks. Of course Irsay would lie, he is a businessman and telling the fans the star performer of the show wasn't gonna play all year would be bad business.  And there was no way they could play Tolzein every single week without it  appearing they were blatantly tanking.  I'm not even saying the Colts are tanking this year, i just don't think they care if they win that many games. They aren't going to win very many with JB anyway.  But there was no way they could have went a whole season with Tolzein.

11 hours ago, brently76 said:

http://www.foxsports.com/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1077080643624

I didn't see this anywhere but feel free to remove if it has. I thought this was an interesting segment. Thoughts? 

Here’s the problem I have with this, It assumes a few things I can’t assume:

1. Ballard convincing the coaches, owner and players to tank.

2. Convincing Luck not to play, even if he’s 100%.

3. Getting a cordesone shot means anything but a relief from the typical soreness from the surgery.

4. Colts will be out of contention when Andrew returns.

5. The Oline won’t improve. 

I heard NOTHING in Ballard’s press conference that would indicate the Colts will shut down Andrew for the year. I believe Ballard when he says they are not talking about that now.

12 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Here's the problem with your theory...

If it's true that this a great draft for QB's wouldn't those QB's already be in place for the 2019 draft anyway. 

Brissett is proven in the NFL and is young those QB's in college now aren't proven in the NFL. 

So with all due respect to you, your theory doesn't hold water. 

If I understand your thinking here.....     your view is that with the class of 2018 QB's already in the NFL,   there won't be a need for Brissett?      That the teams that need a QB will already have them?      Is that it?

The problem with that is this.....       every year in the NFL,  QB's retire....   QB's get hurt....    Rookie QB's,  like those in the 2018 draft won't show much.      So, there is always a need for QB's in the NFL.

In the history of the NFL there has never been a season where there wasn't a need for Quarterbacks.     Never.

There are 32 teams,  but there aren't 32 players who can play the position at a high enough level.     So, there's ALWAYS a need.      Brissett will far more value in 2019 than he will in 2018.

Sorry,   my theory holds all the water it needs.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, there's ALWAYS a need.      Brissett will far more value in 2019 than he will in 2018.

These two statements aren't compatible.  Like you said:

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The problem with that is this.....       every year in the NFL,  QB's retire....   QB's get hurt....    Rookie QB's,  like those in the 2018 draft won't show much.      So, there is always a need for QB's in the NFL.

So there will always be a need for Brissett.  No more or less in 2018 than any other year.

You contradicted yourself.  The only way we get less for Brissett is if he plays like crap, regardless of what year it is.

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I understand your thinking here.....     your view is that with the class of 2018 QB's already in the NFL,   there won't be a need for Brissett?      That the teams that need a QB will already have them?      Is that it?

In the history of the NFL there has never been a season where there wasn't a need for Quarterbacks.     Never.

There are 32 teams,  but there aren't 32 players who can play the position at a high enough level.     So, there's ALWAYS a need.      Brissett will far more value in 2019 than he will in 2018.

Sorry,   my theory holds all the water it needs.

Brissett is proven in the NFL these guys in college are not enough said. 

6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

These two statements aren't compatible.  Like you said:

So there will always be a need for Brissett.  No more or less in 2018 than any other year.

You contradicted yourself.  The only way we get less for Brissett is if he plays like crap, regardless of what year it is.

Yes there will always be a demand for QBs in the nfl, but the supply isn't always the same each year. There's an extraordinarily high amount of QB talent in the 2018 draft and FA pool, one that won't be quite the same in 2019. So Brissett will be a higher commodity then, than now.

Put it this way, now I'm just estimating here, but in all likelihood, of all available quarterbacks in the 2018 Offseason, Brissett is like the 6th or 7th best options (and he's even lower because Cousins and I believe Jimmy G are FAs). Meanwhile in 2 years he'd be Be even higher, and maybe even the best option depending on how he develops and grows his game this year and next.