Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett and His Future

Coltsfan0112

I don't know if this topic has been made before and lock it if it has but I've been reading that Jacoby is to valuable to be a back up and if he was traded the Colts could possibly get a good return for him. Personally I love Brissett and think he can be a starter in this league but this has me thinking. I think it's very possible the Colts could get a high pick in return. I'm not saying do it now but next year I can see Ballard getting as much picks as possible. 

Here's the Link to top NFL backups

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000863224/article/ranking-every-nfl-teams-backup-qb-from-1-to-32

Here's another link talking about Brissett

Bucky Brooks nfl.com Scout

https://mobile.twitter.com/BuckyBrooks/status/920744579804020736

With the uncertainty surrounding Luck, he needs to be kept at least for 2018. By then if Luck has shown to fully come back with the same arm strength and ability he had before his injury, then you can see what the market would look like for Brissett in the 2019 offseason. If a team is willing to give up at least a mid to high 1st round pick, you contemplate the offer. 

It's all about judging how you think Brissett will progress. If you think he has maxed out as a player, you trade him while his value is as high as it will be. If you think he will continue to progress, you keep him since his value will only go up. 

But right now he is needed on this roster until Luck comes back fully healthy and Indy has a quality OL to keep him that way. 

1 minute ago, Crush22 said:

It's obvious we will need a quality back-up for the future.

Keep him.

I see your point and I agree but this guy is a starter in my mind. A league of Qb needy teams is what if a team offers a 1st or 2nd. This roster has many holes and the possibility of getting a high pick is something I can see Ballard being very interested in.

He's a good backup and should be retained in that capacity.  I think part of the offense's problems in the 2nd half is that he gets rattled under stress and his performance tails off.  Unlike Luck who probably performs better as the game wears on and each snap grows in significance.

Its something Brissett will have to show before a team will provide a decent draft pick for him, so let him mature in a backup role.  He's proven to be a nice backup, especially since he seems to play well early. 

All I'm saying and said it in the post. Most definitely keep him this year while Luck is out. But next year if the Colts can get a 1st for him I'd make that move. The reason why Garoppolo hasn't been traded is that Brady's career is about over and Jimmy is their future. Luck next year should be 100%. 

As far as a trade goes, I'm not sure why people believe he would be a hot commodity.  Under the circumstances he has played well, but he hasn't played that well.  We tend to overvalue our own players.  

For what you might get for him, I would rather just keep him and attempt to re-sign him, which I think we probably could.  

27 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Give him a full offseason as a starter and I’d bet that he would be a quality starter. 

It's more about the team you put around him, but I agree with a good, balanced team he could be a quality starter, and perhaps you're in playoff contention.

With a good balanced team and Luck, you're a Super Bowl contender.

Just now, #12. said:

As far as a trade goes, I'm not sure why people believe he would be a hot commodity.  Under the circumstances he has played well, but he hasn't played that well.  We tend to overvalue our own players.  

For what you might get for him, I would rather just keep him and attempt to re-sign him, which I think we probably could.  

To the first part I will say some teams value players based on potential and what talent they already have on the roster.  Maybe a solid dependable QB is a key missing link for their offense.  A good example of teams jumping on "talent" is when the Texans gave a huge contract to the little proving Brock Osweiler.  Yes, this was in FA but still shows what teams will do.  So I would not say we are overvaluing him.  Granted I do not think we get a 1st rounder for him at all.  Maybe a 2nd by the end of the year.

Do you think, as far as being a hot commodity, Brissett would be viewed the same as Osweiller?  Osweiller beat the Patriots and helped get the Broncos to the Super Bowl that season.  Plus, he was pretty highly valued coming out and was tutored by Manning for four years.  I can't see anyone looking at Brissett in the same way.  In fact, if Brissett QBs the Colts to a 5-11 record this season, then sits on the bench for a year or two, he'll be largely forgotten.  As I said, I wouldn't doubt at all if he re-signs with the Colts.

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

Do you think, as far as being a hot commodity, Brissett would be viewed the same as Osweiller?  Osweiller beat the Patriots and helped get the Broncos to the Super Bowl that season.  Plus, he was pretty highly valued coming out and was tutored by Manning for four years.  I can't see anyone looking at Brissett in the same way.  In fact, if Brissett QBs the Colts to a 5-11 record this season, then sits on the bench for a year or two, he'll be largely forgotten.  As I said, I wouldn't doubt at all if he re-signs with the Colts.

If he finishes this year and sits for 2 years yes he will be forgotten.  I was responded under the idea of anything after this year.  Brock was a game manager that did well but not great.  Had moments!  In 8 games put up stats not to far off what Brissett has been doing.  Brissett was not sitting behind Peyton Manning for 3 years and learning an offense for 3 years either.  Again the "potential" and "talent" are what we are looking at here.  Osweiler also had one of the best defense in the NFL behind him in Denver.  JB could go 4-12 with the Colts...that is not t he only thing teams will look at.  He shows that in 15 games he has done whatever and shown whatever talent.  Some teams might value his characteristics for their scheme.  Many factors to it really.  Again not saying a high first rounder here.  Looking at maybe a 2nd rounder.

On 10/19/2017 at 10:09 AM, Coltsfan0112 said:

I see your point and I agree but this guy is a starter in my mind. A league of Qb needy teams is what if a team offers a 1st or 2nd. This roster has many holes and the possibility of getting a high pick is something I can see Ballard being very interested in.

I'll become a Browns fan if we get a 1st and a second for Brissett.

incan comfortably say this because WE ARENT GETTING A 1st and 2nd for him!  Thats Aaron Rogers type of trade bounty.

people act like Brissett is Tom Brady

On 10/19/2017 at 12:19 PM, throwing BBZ said:

Goofy to even think about getting rid of a young, cheep, quality backup until you have his replacement

ready to go. NUTTS IN FACT.

Agree.  At least build him up another year and get something BEFORE his contract is up.  Kinda like NE does.

but i agree, he's onba cheap rookies kie contract.  Use him and trade him b4 he gets paid and we lose him on the open market of free agency.  Hopefully we develop a replacement in the meantime.

5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I'll become a Browns fan if we get a 1st and a second for Brissett.

incan comfortably say this because WE ARENT GETTING A 1st and 2nd for him!  Thats Aaron Rogers type of trade bounty.

people act like Brissett is Tom Brady

I largely agree but did want to point out the poster you quoted said a 1st Or 2md...not and.  (unless it was edited after you posted :)

3 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

You are correct sir.

does that mean i have to switch to the Browns now?

Oh hell no. That's no way to live lol. It would take a far bigger offense than an accidental misread  for you to be condemned to that type of gratuitous torture. :D

On 10/19/2017 at 9:32 AM, DougDew said:

He's a good backup and should be retained in that capacity.  I think part of the offense's problems in the 2nd half is that he gets rattled under stress and his performance tails off.  Unlike Luck who probably performs better as the game wears on and each snap grows in significance.

Its something Brissett will have to show before a team will provide a decent draft pick for him, so let him mature in a backup role.  He's proven to be a nice backup, especially since he seems to play well early. 

I'm willing to bet a million Monopoly dollars that its the coaching staff at fault for the second half meltdowns than Brissett..But i could be wrong:hat:

It's a tricky one because in order to get the most out of him, ie. a high draft pick, we need to trade him when he is at his most impressive. That time probably comes in the next offseason. Ideally we would like to have him around for next season but if Luck plays 16 games we wont be able to trade him for that much. Ballard might have to just risk it and trade him this offseason, get a 2nd round pick (I think that's the best he will be worth), and rely on Luck being fully healthy next year. JB is just about in the top 30 QB's in this league with the upside of being around the 20th best (maybe a bit more better).

14 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I'm willing to bet a million Monopoly dollars that its the coaching staff at fault for the second half meltdowns than Brissett..But i could be wrong:hat:

I believe I said "part" of the reason.  The coaches, the WRs, and the QB are all to blame for the offenses problems when ever it struggles.  Its more than the coaches and Grigson's oline, which is the typical argument going on 5 years now. 

So you don't blame Brissett at all?  Why is that?

Brissett displays characteristics of many young QBs.  When snaps get more significant as the game wears on, the stress shows.  Don't get the impression that my failure to champion a former third string QB and a third round pick from NC State as the next franchise QB, means I don't like what he has done and can't get even better.  

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So you don't blame Brissett at all?  Why is that?

for 3 reasons 1. Brissett is still learning the playbook 2. Brissett hasn't had an off-season to spend with the colts  receivers which would explain his off throws that were picked off in the two different games he played. finally 3 Brissett is handcuffed and doesn't have the luxury to improvise during a game like Luck was able to by taking the game in his hands.

17 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Given that teams get desperate for young QBs with potential, what is a realistic offer you think the Colts could get for Brissett? 

its hard to say, teams give up more when they are desperate

we never would have gotten brissett for a backup WR if not for an injury.  

we shouldnt even consider anything less than a high second 

54 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

for 3 reasons 1. Brissett is still learning the playbook 2. Brissett hasn't had an off-season to spend with the colts  receivers which would explain his off throws that were picked off in the two different games he played. finally 3 Brissett is handcuffed and doesn't have the luxury to improvise during a game like Luck was able to by taking the game in his hands.

Well said. And remember this.....do not assume Andrew Luck will return as the same player. You also don't know what kind of hits he's still capable of taking. It's possible, though I hope not, that Brissett is the starter of the future. He has talent; he just needs to learn the system etc. I don't care how many draft picks you could get for this guy; right now he's your QB. And potentially a high level one.  The Colts have to hold onto this guy. 

On 10/19/2017 at 11:16 AM, #12. said:

He's also played on a team with only 1 legitimate receiving target, no run game, lackluster OL, and suspect defense. He's exceeded expectations. Bradford went for a 1st, so Jacoby will go for a low 1st. Something in the 20's. That's a can't refuse offer for Ballard.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He's also played on a team with only 1 legitimate receiving target, no run game, lackluster OL, and suspect defense. He's exceeded expectations. Bradford went for a 1st, so Jacoby will go for a low 1st. Something in the 20's. That's a can't refuse offer for Ballard.

He is also a 3rd. rd pick that has proven he can play on two different teams.  Why would you trade him for an unproven 3rd?   He should continue to improve as the year goes on.  He could easily fetch a 1st. IMO.  Buffalo comes to mind right away.  Most likely not picking high but could use an upgrade at QB. 

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Jacoby will be in the final year of his contract in 2019. It will be the right time to trade him. 

No need. Keep him until the last day as an experienced backup

Hopefully, we'll be in the playoffs in 2019.

Lets his contract expire and if he goes free agent,  get a compensatory draft pick for him.