Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keep the pick or trade down?

IndyScribe

So this season is pretty much over(not that anyone was expecting much to begin with). I don't think Luck is playing at all this season. I don't think this team will intentionally tank either, but the roster will be bad enough to get a top 10 pick. The best case scenario would be pick #5, after the Browns/49ers/Giants/Jets. At that pick, there should be a lot of options available. The first two picks would most likely be QB, leaving good talent dropping to the Colts. The alternative is to trade down. There will be some team that will trade a king's ransom for one of the QBs not taken. Would you keep the pick or trade down? I'd keep the pick. At that high of a pick, the player is likely going to be high impact and fill an important need. 

Trade down. Teams that need a QB are plentiful:

1) Jacksonville

2) Pittsburgh (rookie to develop before Ben leaves)

3) Jets

* had Browns and 9ers but realized we'll finish with a better record, so we can't trade down with them unless it's out of the first

4) prolly Giants

5) Saints?

6) Dolphins may take a chance

Trading down would give us an extra first 2 years from now and that is something we most surely could use. 

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Depends on what pick the Colts get and whose there.  If there is a game changing pass rusher or super stud olineman you take him if it makes sense.  Right now it’s too soon to know exactly where the Colts will end up let alone who will be there.

Exactly what I was thinking.  If there is a game-changing talent at either of those positions we need to make sure we take them.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Trade down. Teams that need a QB are plentiful:

1) Jacksonville

2) Pittsburgh (rookie to develop before Ben leaves)

3) Jets

* had Browns and 9ers but realized we'll finish with a better record, so we can't trade down with them unless it's out of the first

4) prolly Giants

5) Saints?

6) Dolphins may take a chance

Trading down would give us an extra first 2 years from now and that is something we most surely could use. 

I would be very reluctant to trade to Jacksonville for a very good QB.  The way their team are trending that could mean they dominate this division for years.

7 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

So this season is pretty much over(not that anyone was expecting much to begin with). I don't think Luck is playing at all this season. I don't think this team will intentionally tank either, but the roster will be bad enough to get a top 10 pick. The best case scenario would be pick #5, after the Browns/49ers/Giants/Jets. At that pick, there should be a lot of options available. The first two picks would most likely be QB, leaving good talent dropping to the Colts. The alternative is to trade down. There will be some team that will trade a king's ransom for one of the QBs not taken. Would you keep the pick or trade down? I'd keep the pick. At that high of a pick, the player is likely going to be high impact and fill an important need. 

10 games left and they are a game and a half back. In my best Herm Edwards voice, "You play to win the game." Luck's shoulder is repaired. It is structurally sound and he should play when he feels he is ready. He is no more likely to get injured than any other player. Hold your argument on how bad our Oline is. Peyton Manning got his jaw broken behind a very very good Oline. We've started 2 QB's and they haven't been injured. the Dolphins, Viking, Raiders, Broncos, Packers and Bucs all have injured QB's and they are not playing for draft picks. Any team that tanks a season while still in contention especially with 10 games remaining should lose all their draft picks.  

I'm always a fan of adding more draft picks if you believe one of the players targeting will still be available after the trade down. This team has many needs, so having more picks to address those needs would be best for this franchise. Something like what Tennessee did when they traded down, and maneuvered the draft to get their guy in OT Jack Conklin the year they had the #1 overall pick. That's what Ballard will hopefully look to do. 

I've said this in past years and it still rings true. 

Unless the next Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, or Dwight Freeney is sitting there when we pick early in round 1, trade the pick.  No other single player is going to have enough impact over what the impact of having several more good players will have.

5 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  If there is a game-changing talent at either of those positions we need to make sure we take them.

I would be very reluctant to trade to Jacksonville for a very good QB.  The way their team are trending that could mean they dominate this division for years.

I would gladly take some picks away from Jacksonville.  You cannot assume that whatever QB they pick would be great... Blaine Gabbertt and Blake Bortles are perfect examples of this.

20 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

are there any stud pass rushers (other than Arden Key, who seems to not be doing so well) or stud ILB prospects?

Harold Landry has been up there with Key in recent mocks that I've seen. Not sure about ILB... the kid from Texas that was supposed to be awesome has disappointed from what I've read. I've heard Cam Smith of USC a few times but haven't seen him very high in mocks

When we can get a game wrecking edge rusher like an Arden Key. We keep the pick. We need our Miller, Mack, Houston, etc. Then we can get a ILB or WR in RD2. I’d sign Bowman and Jeffery, Pugh, and the best CB on the market. Then draft a young ILB. But we gotta get Luck that big monster wide out like a Jeffery or Robinson. Or both !!! Got a lot of money to throw around. 

1 hour ago, CheezyColt said:

Harold Landry has been up there with Key in recent mocks that I've seen. Not sure about ILB... the kid from Texas that was supposed to be awesome has disappointed from what I've read. I've heard Cam Smith of USC a few times but haven't seen him very high in mocks

Things will change. But both Landry and Key are super talents. 

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Depends whose available. I really like OT Trey Adams and Pass Rusher Arden Key.

Trey Adams tore his ACL and will be returning to school.

Key's hype is still lingering from last year.   This year he's essentially done nothing.  Hope he turns it on.

43 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Trey Adams tore his ACL and will be returning to school.

Key's hype is still lingering from last year.   This year he's essentially done nothing.  Hope he turns it on.

I hope he turns it on as well.  He is hurting his draft stock in my eyes.  

56 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Gee, i would pass on that Hall of Fame caliber pass rusher, he could get hurt then what would you have?
 Take the extra picks 100% and hope you hit well with the extra picks. You have to do that or i will :Cry:then demand the GM be fired.    :censored:           go colts

The bolded was a joke, correct?

9 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Depends whose available. I really like OT Trey Adams and Pass Rusher Arden Key.

Normally I'd be down for trading down, but with the QB needy teams, there will be legit game changing talent available.

Trey Adams just blew up a knee this past weekend.    Word is he will return to Washington.      But even if he comes out I'm not sure a big O-lineman coming off major knee surgery is the guy you want to take with a top-5 or 10 pick.

12 hours ago, WERC82 said:

10 games left and they are a game and a half back. In my best Herm Edwards voice, "You play to win the game."

Agreed.  I'm on record as saying, with a healthy Luck and OL, the Colts only need to be able to win the AFC South to be a contender.  They don't have to be favorites or even one of the best teams. If Luck get hot the Colts can beat any team. String three of these together and you're in the SB.

But...

Luck's shoulder is repaired. It is structurally sound...

Unless you're involved with his rehab, there's really no way to know this.  The fact that he's still barely throwing would indicate he's still several weeks away -- especially since they had to shut him down after his first attempts at throwing more than warm-up tosses.  It's this fact that has me wondering if it really *is* repaired and structurally sound.  If he's "ready" week 13 and the colts are 3-8 (out of the AFC South), it might make more sense to allow it the rest of the year to avoid risking a setback with the shoulder for an already lost season.

He is no more likely to get injured than any other player.   

I would think he'd be higher risk of re-injuring his shoulder than a QB that didn't just finish rehabbing.  I'm willing to bet that, even if cleared to play, he'd be at greater risk of re-injuring the shoulder if he fell on his right elbow after a hit in December 2017 vs. August 2018.  I'd also say the chance of re-injury just throwing all-out, in a non-contact situation, would be higher in December 2017 vs. August 2018.  I could be completely wrong but it seems the more time given to heal would only reduce the chances of re-injuring that shoulder.  I think he would want to avoid a potential second surgery at all costs.

13 hours ago, WERC82 said:

We've started 2 QB's and they haven't been injured.

Yes, but they didn't just have major shoulder surgery.  The injury I'd be worried about is re-injuring the shoulder.  Of course the other injuries could happen at any time and are completely unpredictable.  But the more hits taken and the more non-contact shoulder stress from game situations has a risk of re-injuring a recently healed (still healing) shoulder.

I could buy an argument like this for sitting him out the rest of the year if he's not back soon, which doesn't seem likely.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Trey Adams just blew up a knee this past weekend.    Word is he will return to Washington.      But even if he comes out I'm not sure a big O-lineman coming off major knee surgery is the guy you want to take with a top-5 or 10 pick.

Yeah I just heard. Sucks. He's quite good. McGlinchey from ND is nice too. 

Wonder if Ballard is willing to invest a first on the Oline to protect Luck, in the expense of the defense.

Still lots a time. We'll see.

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

CBS has us at #4 overall & taking a WR in the first, so that’s pretty awesome.

DMiepbIWkAABYP8?format=jpg&name=large

We are a long ways a way from this but as unpopular as it would be the Colts do need another WR and with Moncrief a free agent there is no promise he will be back or the Colts will want him back.  We saw with Marvin and Reggie there are far worse things than having two stud WRs.

13 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

When we can get a game wrecking edge rusher like an Arden Key. We keep the pick. We need our Miller, Mack, Houston, etc. Then we can get a ILB or WR in RD2. I’d sign Bowman and Jeffery, Pugh, and the best CB on the market. Then draft a young ILB. But we gotta get Luck that big monster wide out like a Jeffery or Robinson. Or both !!! Got a lot of money to throw around. 

Arden Key isn't even wrecking games in college.     Not sure why you're so convinced he'll be doing it in the NFL.

He's got to show a lot more.     He's not Miles Garrett.

5 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

CBS has us at #4 overall & taking a WR in the first, so that’s pretty awesome.

DMiepbIWkAABYP8?format=jpg&name=large

Why is that "pretty awesome"??

With all our needs,   why would anyone want the team to spend a high number one on a WR?

I think that would be a disaster.......

The fans anymore just kill me. Talking about the draft after 6 games. We don't know where we are going to pick, we don't know who is gonna be there, we don't know what trades are available.

I feel like we need have some kind of idea of what out options are to have a meaningful conversation about it. We have a young team that is gonna improve over time and we still aren't sure if this is gonna be another 8-8 type of season or a 5-11 type of season, and those 3 wins could be the difference between picking 6 and 15, which are totally different situations. If we had 6 i would be willing to trade down as long as we are still picking in the front half of the first round. But if we have 15, I would rather stay put. I think it's important the Colts target blue chip talent. 

On 10/18/2017 at 11:08 PM, IndyScribe said:

Depends on where we land up. If the Colts land in the top 3, then I wouldn't mind trading out of that pick if someone was willing to hand us a bunch of draft picks. If not, then take the best player available.

8 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Yeah I just heard. Sucks. He's quite good. McGlinchey from ND is nice too. 

Wonder if Ballard is willing to invest a first on the Oline to protect Luck, in the expense of the defense.

Still lots a time. We'll see.

He has mentioned that you win and lose in the trenches.  He has to see the issue, I mean has to! 

I would tend to trade down and grab take the kings ransom but if a player I believed to be a future pro bowler at ILB or OLB maybe even LT/RT  would we very tempted to stay put and make the pick  . There are a lot of variables with the needs on the O Line those extra picks could be invaluable .