Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kicking him while he's down: Luck voted 2nd most overrated qb by peers

GusFring

10 hours ago, King Colt said:

When you don't have any at bats in baseball you are batting 1000.

No...    that's not how batting average works.

When you have ZERO at bats, then your batting average is zero.   (000)

When you have one at bat and get a hit THEN you have a 1,000 batting average.

Look at the whole thread.   There are lots of posters telling you that you're wrong,  its way more than just me.    And these folks are all correct.   

13 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Of course its ESPN saying this in their article and they are foolish anyway.

Dear God...

It's an ESPN article,  but it's NOT the opinion of ESPN.     It's a poll of actual NFL players...   so it's THEIR opinion, Not ESPN's.

Don't blame the messenger when you don't like the news.

5 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think if people call him overrated, it's not because of anything he did, but rather the amount of hype that surrounded him coming out of college.  People were saying he's the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning or John Elway, some wanted to enshrine him in the Hall of Fame.  The Colts then didn't do a good job of surrounding him with enough talent to bring out his full potential, so he didn't reach those (arguably absurd) expectations people had set out for him.  Not to shamelessly self-promote, but Luck has made some amazing plays during his career that I'd wager many NFL QBs can't make.

Yes, the real question should have been " of what player did you have the most unrealistic expectations?".

BTW, I think maybe it should be Kaep, though not being on a roster probably disqualifies him. Or, is that the point?

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God...

It's an ESPN article,  but it's NOT the opinion of ESPN.     It's a poll of actual NFL players...   so it's THEIR opinion, Not ESPN's.

Correct, it's not ESPN's opinion, but it is an imature, sophomoric, sensational piece, and someone at ESPN thought it was of interest ot their audience. I couldn't care less about the outcome. It's meaningless. May as well ask everyone "what's your opinion about your opinion?".

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

Correct, it's not ESPN's opinion, but it is an imature, sophomoric, sensational piece, and someone at ESPN thought it was of interest ot their audience. I couldn't care less about the outcome. It's meaningless. May as well ask everyone "what's your opinion about your opinion?".

And why is it an imature, sophomoric and sensational piece?

Why is this much different from when NFL.com counts down the top-100 players each year.

It's the players opinions.....     I suspect you don't like it because they're down on Luck.    I don't see the big deal one way or the other....

interesting because pff rated him the third best QB last year.  they analyze every play and use facts to back up their claim.  its not gospel, but the players opinions sure as heck are not either 

on the other hand, the hype surrounding luck as he came out of college was unreal.  if he didnt win a superbowl in his first 5 year people were going to say over rated just because of the ridiculous hype.

Andrew Luck is overrated?

The guy who's been playing with no defense, offensive line, mediocre coach, and had Ryan Grigson as his GM his first 5 seasons in the NFL.

He also led the Colts to 3 straight playoff berths his first 3 seasons.

The Colts failed to reach the playoffs the last two seasons (Both in which Luck missed time)

Overrated? People need to learn their facts.

Give Luck a top 10 defense, a decent offensive line and average Head Coach and watch him flourish.

1 minute ago, Blue Shoe Savior 12 said:

Andrew Luck is overrated?

The guy who's been playing with no defense, offensive line, mediocre coach, and had Ryan Grigson as his GM his first 5 seasons in the NFL.

He also led the Colts to 3 straight playoff berths his first 3 seasons.

The Colts failed to reach the playoffs the last two seasons (Both in which Luck missed time)

Overrated? People need to learn their facts.

Give Luck a top 10 defense, a decent offensive line and average Head Coach and watch him flourish.

If we would've been on Seattle in 2013 and 2014 he would have 2 Rings by now, put him on Denver and they are unbeatable back in 2015. Everyone knows that. He has carried our behinds his whole career.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we would've been on Seattle in 2013 and 2014 he would have 2 Rings by now, put him on Denver and they are unbeatable back in 2015. Everyone knows that. He has carried our behinds his whole career.

He's been carrying this organization on his back since 2012.

Including a terrible GM and Coaching Staff.

18 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think if people call him overrated, it's not because of anything he did, but rather the amount of hype that surrounded him coming out of college.  People were saying he's the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning or John Elway, some wanted to enshrine him in the Hall of Fame.  The Colts then didn't do a good job of surrounding him with enough talent to bring out his full potential, so he didn't reach those (arguably absurd) expectations people had set out for him.  Not to shamelessly self-promote, but Luck has made some amazing plays during his career that I'd wager many NFL QBs can't make.

What you said is it.  He got so much hype coming out of college it would be nearly impossible to live up to that hype.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

What you said is it.  He got so much hype coming out of college it would be nearly impossible to live up to that hype.  

I still think he can be an all-time Great, he has only been in the league 5 years and is already considered all-time Good based on his 46-30 record, a Title Game appearance, and 40 TD passing season in 2014. Whether or not he will actually end up Great, we will see. I think he will, I trust Ballard will build a better team around him which will give him help to win more.

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God...

Well then they are stupid too if your overrated you are not ranked in the top 5 among QB's that's where luck was last season not his fault the team he is on blows.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And why is it an imature, sophomoric and sensational piece?

Why is this much different from when NFL.com counts down the top-100 players each year.

It's the players opinions.....     I suspect you don't like it because they're down on Luck.    I don't see the big deal one way or the other....

I THINK anytime you ask someone to offer up negative information, even just a general opinion, on another publicly, it's in bad taste. I find it immature, sophomoric, and sensational. It's trash.

It's not all that different than the NFL.com top 100, 'cept the ESPN poll focus' on the negative.

I've watched the first 1 or 2 top 100 series, and realized how much I didn't care. They have their opinions, I have mine, and theirs don't influence mine.

And, really, it has nothing to do with where Luck, or anyone else, appears on the list. I just find it all meaningless.

Click bait, if you will. 

Unless the 'rating' is strictly based on actual numbers, it's meaningless. And even numbers lie from time to time.

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

I THINK anytime you ask someone to offer up negative information, even just a general opinion, on another publicly, it's in bad taste. I find it immature, sophomoric, and sensational. It's trash.

Unless the 'rating' is strictly based on actual numbers, it's meaningless. And even numbers lie from time to time.

So true.  It's like junior high...Let's take a poll on who the ugliest girl in the class is.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, life long said:

:facepalm:

Well this video is just full of happiness in my family (I live in NY Metro area....I am 1 Colt fan in a family FULL of Giants fans) AND ELI is #1 and Andrew is #2 in this poll....It is just filling my entire family with smiles......GO COLTS AND ANDREW !!!!!!!!!!!!

On 10/19/2017 at 6:36 PM, King Colt said:

You just batted once and struck out. My average is perfect yours is zero.

No, he would have a zero average (.000) and you would have no average. The two are different.

Anyway, back to the topic, this is absurd. Anyone who knows football would love to have a healthy Luck at QB. He is not overrated.

Andrew Luck is not over rated his first 3 years were better than Peyton Manning's & he won a playoff game sooner than Peyton Manning .

People just don't seem to realize Peyton Manning could not have done what Andrew Luck accomplished those first 3 seasons he like Manning carried this team he put his heart & soul into winning he was running for his life making big plays , Peyton Manning was great but the teams he played on were much better than what Andrew Luck inherited & the TEAM starting with Grigson allowed 12 to play hurt compounding the issue Ballard may be the GM but Grigson to this very day continues to haunt the Colts with his incompetence ,

Final word yes 12 was hyped had he been given the weapons to succeed a offensive line a running game & a decent defense we could easily make a judgement call on his being overrated in my opinion we can't  , When has 12 had a Faulk or a Edge ? When has he had a O-line that could protect him ? And our defense since he arrived is worse than the one 18 had ,

The front office was OVERRATED & INCOMPETENT The 2012 GM of the year but not 12 he performed as expected & it turned out as expected the abuse 12 put his self thru caught up with him . 

As great as Peyton Manning was over the years not even he could have done as good as Luck on the teams Grigson fielded  from 2012 on ..

The poll was probably created by the goons over at Patriots Planet. LOL

Seriously though, it depends on your definition of overrated.  If by overrated you mean is he the next John Elway (of whom he was highly compared), then yeah, he's probably overrated at this point.  If by claiming that he is a top 10, maybe even top 5, QB in the NFL today that he is overrated?  I would disagree with that.  It just depends on your definition and criteria.

I know this, when healthy, there aren't many other guys I'd want quarterbacking my team than Luck.

On 10/19/2017 at 12:41 AM, Track Guy said:

I think he's underrated even by Colts fans. I was always of the opinion that those years we went 11-5 and made the playoffs - those were teams that only an elite QB could have carried to a record like that. I mean we had a bad running attack, bad defenses, wide receiver groups that consistently led the league (by a lot) in dropped passes. How many QBs could you stick on the 2012 - 2014 Colts teams and get 33 wins and 3 playoff wins out of? Like maybe Rodgers and Brady - maybe... But if you go a few years with injuries and without those playoff runs, it becomes "what have you done for me lately"?

No doubt the first two were candidates for those worst 11-5 teams in history. Bad teams going 11-5.

10-2 in our division the first 2 Lucky years, and 6-0 year three. Do the math, read the numbers. THINK!

Only one reason Lucky SEEMED soooooo good.
It has always been that simple!   go colts

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

No doubt the first two were candidates for those worst 11-5 teams in history. Bad teams going 11-5.

10-2 in our division the first 2 Lucky years, and 6-0 year three. Do the math, read the numbers. THINK!

Only one reason Lucky SEEMED soooooo good.
It has always been that simple!   go colts

Pure nonsense.

8 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

The poll was probably created by the goons over at Patriots Planet. LOL

Seriously though, it depends on your definition of overrated.  If by overrated you mean is he the next John Elway (of whom he was highly compared), then yeah, he's probably overrated at this point.  If by claiming that he is a top 10, maybe even top 5, QB in the NFL today that he is overrated?  I would disagree with that.  It just depends on your definition and criteria.

I know this, when healthy, there aren't many other guys I'd want quarterbacking my team than Luck.

the elway comparison might be lofty, but it took him a long time to win a super bowl too.  when they did win, the RB may have been more important than he was as well

he also once went 5-11 and then 7-9

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

meh, i agree with them that the division was really weak when we went 11-5

it was fun at the time, but looking back those jags, titans and texan teams were awful 

That's true but Luck had quality wins over teams like the Packers. Chiefs and the Seahawks.