Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kicking him while he's down: Luck voted 2nd most overrated qb by peers

GusFring

In all honesty...if he played on another team...some of  you Colts fans would be saying the same thing.  He has missed a lot of games due to injury during the past three years.  Given the extraordinary hype he got out of college ( touted as the next Elway, etc) I think most objective fans would surmise that Luck is on the over rated side at this point. At the very least since signing his new deal he has under performed his lofty contract.  A lot of that is due to injuries.  Unfortunately that’s a part of the game and no one really cares outside of a player’s own fans.  

22 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

In all honesty...if he played on another team...some of  you Colts fans would be saying the same thing.  He has missed a lot of games due to injury during the past three years.  Given the extraordinary hype he got out of college ( touted as the next Elway, etc) I think most objective fans would surmise that Luck is on the over rated side at this point. At the very least since signing his new deal he has under performed his lofty contract.  A lot of that is due to injuries.  Unfortunately that’s a part of the game and no one really cares outside of a player’s own fans.  

I agree with some of this, you make great points. The overrated label actually IMO does not really stem entirely from his play on the field but more his monster contract, injuries and hype from college.

It is tough for us though since he is our little Luck bunny and we like him.

If he is....it's the franchise's fault for not giving him the proper supporting cast all these years. You know ppl are gonna judge a QB by the amount of success the team has, fair or not. And this team has not had much success due to an incompetent front office. This franchise has completely failed Luck thus far.

I think he's underrated even by Colts fans. I was always of the opinion that those years we went 11-5 and made the playoffs - those were teams that only an elite QB could have carried to a record like that. I mean we had a bad running attack, bad defenses, wide receiver groups that consistently led the league (by a lot) in dropped passes. How many QBs could you stick on the 2012 - 2014 Colts teams and get 33 wins and 3 playoff wins out of? Like maybe Rodgers and Brady - maybe... But if you go a few years with injuries and without those playoff runs, it becomes "what have you done for me lately"?

6 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I think he's underrated even by Colts fans. I was always of the opinion that those years we went 11-5 and made the playoffs - those were teams that only an elite QB could have carried to a record like that. I mean we had a bad running attack, bad defenses, wide receiver groups that consistently led the league by a lot in dropped passes. How many QBs could you stick on the 2012 - 2014 Colts teams and get 33 wins and 3 playoff wins out of? Like maybe Rodgers and Brady - maybe... But if you go a few years with injuries and without those playoff runs, it becomes "what have you done for me lately"?

Without him no way we go 11-5 3 years in a row. I agree

Would be good to see who those 70 players polled were. 

"The poll was taken from the Jacksonville Jaguars roster, practice squad and a few Tennessee Titans"

:sip:

Seriously though, this will purely be down to his ability to stay on the field rather than ability.  No on can argue with his talent when he is out there and, hopefully after this year, we will see plenty of that in the next decade.

7 hours ago, Jules said:

Well the good news here keeps on rolling. Sigh.

Anyone want to bake cupcakes and look at kittens?

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.. I was so disgusted Monday night as I'm sure most of us were. And it hasn't gotten any better.. Honestly, I'm so happy the NBA moved the season up. At least that's provided a little bit of relieve this week.. I just cant believe people actually think we will beat the Jags Sunday. We will start off promising sucking us into watching the game to completely not show up in the second half. Fournette could have one leg and still beat us.

it was 155 players surveyed, so 17 of them said Luck was overrated.  Not a big deal...

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/253203/qb-confidential-tom-brady-talks-trash-eli-manning-overrated-joe-flacco-living-off-super-bowl-win

Reporters polled 155 players to gauge their opinions on the league's passers. Players were asked to identify their favorite rookie, the most overrated and the quarterback they would most like to sack.

1. It's left to each individual as to how they rated them to begin with. Do players really put a lot of consideration to the 'rating' of players in the league?

2. Who the heck puts out such a stupid poll?

3. Who the heck responds to such a stupid poll?

4. Who the heck cares about the results of such a stupid poll?

If it makes anyone feel better, I declared Luck the second most individually talented QB behind Rodgers. 

Incidentally, both aren't doing anything so maybe totally off.

And I would agree that Eli is generally very overrated- not that it matters, because he's a dam hero beating the Pats twice.

10 hours ago, Track Guy said:

I think he's underrated even by Colts fans. I was always of the opinion that those years we went 11-5 and made the playoffs - those were teams that only an elite QB could have carried to a record like that. I mean we had a bad running attack, bad defenses, wide receiver groups that consistently led the league (by a lot) in dropped passes. How many QBs could you stick on the 2012 - 2014 Colts teams and get 33 wins and 3 playoff wins out of? Like maybe Rodgers and Brady - maybe... But if you go a few years with injuries and without those playoff runs, it becomes "what have you done for me lately"?

This is well stated!  He is not overrated and his stats show that.

10 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

If he is....it's the franchise's fault for not giving him the proper supporting cast all these years. You know ppl are gonna judge a QB by the amount of success the team has, fair or not. And this team has not had much success due to an incompetent front office. This franchise has completely failed Luck thus far.

This^ QFT Eerily reminds me of what Cleveland did to Tim Couch after they drafted him(Couch was an amazing talent out of UK). Got dude killed, and it cost him his career. 

Ah, gotta love garbage poles.  Unfortunately, you can post any kind of garbage today and people will literally believe it.  If anything, Luck's injury proves he's NOT overrated because the team is absolutely horrible without him.  Kind of like, remember that Peyton Manning fella when he was out??

I think if people call him overrated, it's not because of anything he did, but rather the amount of hype that surrounded him coming out of college.  People were saying he's the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning or John Elway, some wanted to enshrine him in the Hall of Fame.  The Colts then didn't do a good job of surrounding him with enough talent to bring out his full potential, so he didn't reach those (arguably absurd) expectations people had set out for him.  Not to shamelessly self-promote, but Luck has made some amazing plays during his career that I'd wager many NFL QBs can't make.

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

He over-rated but 75% of the teams in the league would sell their souls to sign him.  Stupid article.

I think this is an accurate assessment. I think he's overrated compared to the guy he replaced (but I found that to be an unrealistic expectation to begin with when he was proclaimed to be on his level before he even played in the NFL) however he's still a good QB and many teams would love to have him.

That's enough for me.