Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tank Season

ColtsFanMikeC

I watch this guy on Barstool sports every now again talking about the Jets (link below).  It is pretty darn funny.  Anyway, I'm wondering after we dropped to the basement of the AFC South last week if Ballard is secretly considering this our tank season. I don't think there is really any point in risking an injury to Andrew (who when healthy is a top 5 QB in this league) if we are not in playoff contention.  Our OL still needs work as we saw on Sunday (part of this is due to injury, part of this may also be that we weren't leaving extra guys as blockers when the Titans were blitzing like crazy).  If we are not going to be in playoff contention, I don't really see the point in putting Andrew behind that group.

Personally, I don't think that our team is too far off and really like what Ballard did this past offseason/draft after inheriting the mess Grigson left him with.  Keeping Luck on the bench and  tanking this season, IMO, is not necessarily a bad thing -- it'll give Ballard 100% reason to bring in his own coaching staff, it'll give us a high draft pick which we can really use to fix some of the glaring holes on this roster, and it hopefully gives us a 100% Andrew Luck next year and for about 7-10 more years to come.

Jets can't even tank right. I don't think Colts will intentionally tank, but the roster will be bad enough to land us a top 10 pick. I'd say #5 at the best, after Browns/49ers/Giants/Jets. Still high enough to draft a good player and the first two picks are probably going to be at QB. Use this season as evaluation. Use the offseason to draft well with the high picks. Get a new coaching staff and go from there. 

18 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I watch this guy on Barstool sports every now again talking about the Jets (link below).  It is pretty darn funny.  Anyway, I'm wondering after we dropped to the basement of the AFC South last week if Ballard is secretly considering this our tank season. I don't think there is really any point in risking an injury to Andrew (who when healthy is a top 5 QB in this league) if we are not in playoff contention.  Our OL still needs work as we saw on Sunday (part of this is due to injury, part of this may also be that we weren't leaving extra guys as blockers when the Titans were blitzing like crazy).  If we are not going to be in playoff contention, I don't really see the point in putting Andrew behind that group.

Personally, I don't think that our team is too far off and really like what Ballard did this past offseason/draft after inheriting the mess Grigson left him with.  Keeping Luck on the bench and  tanking this season, IMO, is not necessarily a bad thing -- it'll give Ballard 100% reason to bring in his own coaching staff, it'll give us a high draft pick which we can really use to fix some of the glaring holes on this roster, and it hopefully gives us a 100% Andrew Luck next year and for about 7-10 more years to come.

:facepalm:

21 minutes ago, krunk said:

So many clowns on here.   How bout we just play better football?

Team is good enough to do that.  Quarterback is good enough to do that.

Chicken little club has taken over.

Hey let all the band-wagoners jump ship and help me with the ticket prices and parking! 

20 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Lucky is way over rated as a pocket passer by the Blue Homerboys.
Irsay & Ballard were expecting a down year, i would say Hoping for one for the right reasons.

Your COLTS Desperately need:

2 real good ILB

1 GREAT pass rusher
  20+ GAMES for these young Defensive players to learn how to play together.

2 really good offensive lineman

1 really good WR with size and route running ability
  1 TE that can stretch a D
  1 really good RB

JMO, this team is far short of being a good team, Coaching included.

=

57 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Lucky is way over rated as a pocket passer by the Blue Homerboys.
Irsay & Ballard were expecting a down year, i would say Hoping for one for the right reasons.

Your COLTS Desperately need:

2 real good ILB

1 GREAT pass rusher
  20+ GAMES for these young Defensive players to learn how to play together.

2 really good offensive lineman

1 really good WR with size and route running ability
  1 TE that can stretch a D
  1 really good RB

JMO, this team is far short of being a good team, Coaching included.

=

Luck isn't overrated, your other points even make my case. The team around him has never been good but yet we managed 3 11-5 seasons and a Title Game appearance. Main reason why we accomplished that is because of Luck.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Luck isn't overrated, your other points even make my case. The team around him has never been good but yet we managed 3 11-5 seasons and a Title Game appearance. Main reason why we accomplished that is because of Luck.

:troll:  he always seems to have random posts so I wouldn't try to make your point.  He will not understand.

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

We're one game out of the playoffs with ten games left to play.  Why on earth would we tank?

Not saying we should tank but we trial all 3 teams in our division for 1 playoff spot as we realistically won't qualify for a wild card spot.  We have already played the soft part of our schedule and beat 2  winless teams by FG's. We have just been informed that Luck has suffered a set back and hard to see him coming back before week 11 ... more likely that he doesn't play in 2017.

That said your statement above way understates how difficult it is to make the playoffs. I don't advocate tanking but the "why on earth " can be easily answered by saying we have a very very slim chance of making the playoffs and a top 3 pick would be worth a "fortune" next April.