Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck being shut down from practice this week.

indy1888

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I'm not really sold of them though. Other teams may be and we can trade the pick for a king's ransome if it comes to that.  I think Sam Darnold is over-rated and USC quarterbacks don't usually do much in the NFL historically speaking. 

They may draft one for trade bait . Im guessing there are going to be numerous suitors willing to load them  up with  numerous picks . 

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

Looking at a possible RG fade here with Luck. Maybe Colts will get top QB in 18 draft. Colts oline destroyed Luck.

Doubtful.

23 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

In my opinion, the Colts need to ride this out with Luck. (It's different from the Manning situation.)  Luck is still young and deserves a chance to see if he can return to form.  Trading him could come back to bite us.  Wait and see if he is healthy enough to return to form next season.  A full season to recover is probably what he needs at this point.  If he isn't good next season then I will be worried but I expected this year would be a long shot for his return once the Colts started with their secretive ways about this situation.

We won't trade Luck. The cap penalties alone total 40 million.  There's zero way we eat that.

only options here is keeping Luck or he retires on his own accord. 

9 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Your quite naive to think it has nothing to do with it.  They are a business first and foremost.   

Agreed. I said at the time they took him off PUP i thought it was for business reasons only. Same reason they will probably not put him on I.R.   They didn't put Manning on I.R. the year he never played a game either. To me though things are starting to go down just the way i thought that they might.  They take him off PUP so they don't totally lose interest before the first game is even played, then they bring him back to "practice" 2 weeks before PUP would have ended so they don't come across as totally incompetent. Now all the sudden he has a "setback" from his light throwing practice sessions that were every other day. Now they have an out so that when he misses the rest of the year they can just say with this setback he just wasn't progressing as they thought he would and this setback was totally unexpected. Nonsense.  I think that was the plan all along honestly. It's easy to see where this is headed.  

3 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Agreed. I said at the time they took him off PUP i thought it was for business reasons only. Same reason they will probably not put him on I.R.   They didn't put Manning on I.R. the year he never played a game either. To me though things are starting to go down just the way i thought that they might.  They take him off PUP so they don't totally lose interest before the first game is even played, then they bring him back to "practice" 2 weeks before PUP would have ended so they don't come across as totally incompetent. Now all the sudden he has a "setback" from his light throwing practice sessions that were every other day. Now they have an out so that when he misses the rest of the year they can just say with this setback he just wasn't progressing as they thought he would and this setback was totally unexpected. Nonsense.  I think that was the plan all along honestly. It's easy to see where this is headed.  

The way the organization handled the Manning situation was the template.  As they say fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on ME. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

The way the organization handled the Manning situation was the template.  As they say fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on ME. 

Yep. Did the same thing the year Luck lacerated his kidney.  Did not I.R. him and "hoped" he would return, just like they "hoped" Manning would return and are apparently hoping Luck will this year.  I'm sure these are Irsay calls, it's his business and he needs to make money and keep fans interested in his product. Just look at where we currently stand with Luck and remember that our owner actually left the door opened to Luck playing in week 1 just 10 days before the first game. As ridiculous as that sounds, he actually did it.  Anything for business i guess.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Perfect.

Many baseball pitchers never recover from these type injuries. Much worse than even the dreaded elbow injuries

I've read the motion for QB's is different and the chances for a full recovery are better in football. That said , I've been pretty much saying I hope  at some point in time , he fully recovers. Time will tell.

1 minute ago, indy1888 said:

Yep. Did the same thing the year Luck lacerated his kidney.  Did not I.R. him and "hoped" he would return, just like they "hoped" Manning would return and are apparently hoping Luck will this year.  I'm sure these are Irsay calls, it's his business and he needs to make money and keep fans interested in his product. Just look at where we currently stand with Luck and remember that our owner actually left the door opened to Luck playing in week 1 just 10 days before the first game. As ridiculous as that sounds, he actually did it.  Anything for business i guess.

LOL...very true.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew will be 100% next season, a year off is probably the best thing that could happen for him. He will be back.

A year off if this happens is not a bad thing for Andrew I agree. He could become literally 100% or close to it by next season's opener.

Also a new head coach could be in the works so it could be nothing but good news on the horizon in the future if the chips all fall into place for us.

Honestly, I'm fine with that. This team is rebuilding and needs talent. I wouldn't intentionally tank, but I think this roster wouldn't win that many games. Use this chance w/o Luck to evaluate the roster and coaching staff. In the offseason, add a good draft with high picks, add a new coaching staff, and Luck will be 100%.

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Just a gut feeling based on how secretive the Colts have been and recollections of similar behavior during Peyton's injury season.  It also makes sense to rest Luck for the entire season if you really think about it.  Make sure he is 100%...he is the franchise and this season is not worth risking the future.

No, I don't agree, especially after thinking about it.  There is no way I want Luck to come in next year to OTA's unsure of himself, unsure his shoulder will let him do what he feels it should do, and him not  having thrown any meaningful practice passes, let alone true game situation passes, in about one and a half years (which would be the time frame if he was  IR'd and sent home right now).

Medically, he is not healed, and he will not heal sitting at home eating bon bons.  He needs the athletic trainers to rehab him and get him back in practice shape, then he needs to start over in the 4 week get in football shape practice progression. Once he makes it to the end, get him in some games and let him gain mental and physical confidence 'This_Year', and have a foundation on which to build upon for next year.  I do not want him unsure mentally and physically to begin next season.  And if he doesn't get well and play this year, that is exactly what will happen.

1 hour ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Just a gut feeling based on how secretive the Colts have been and recollections of similar behavior during Peyton's injury season.  It also makes sense to rest Luck for the entire season if you really think about it.  Make sure he is 100%...he is the franchise and this season is not worth risking the future.

Riddle me this, why did they sign him to that huge contract with him being injured? 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Luck will have a far longer recovery time it seems

95% of Labrum tears are Superior, or Anterior.  Posterior Labrum repairs really are more difficult to return to complete form from.  And take longer. But to me, this is still just a temporary setback.  One I hoped he would avoid, but was always a possibility.  So many negative Nancy's out there.

31 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

No, I don't agree, especially after thinking about it.  There is no way I want Luck to come in next year to OTA's unsure of himself, unsure his shoulder will let him do what he feels it should do, and him not  having thrown any meaningful practice passes, let alone true game situation passes, in about one and a half years (which would be the time frame if he was  IR'd and sent home right now).

Medically, he is not healed, and he will not heal sitting at home eating bon bons.  He needs the athletic trainers torehab him and get him back in practice shape, then he needs to start over in the 4 week get in football shape practice progression. Once he makes it to the end, get him in some games and let him gain mental and physical confidence 'This_Year', and have a foundation on which to build upon for next year.  I do not want him unsure mentally and physically to begin next season.  And if he doesn't get well and play this year, that is exactly what will happen.

I agree that he should continue with rehab. I disagree that he should be put on the field if he is not medically healed for the sake of his so called confidence. You can’t avoid the mental aspects of recovering from an injury. Luck will deal with those demons on his time not ours. 

10 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I agree that he should continue with rehab. I disagree that he should be put on the field if he is not medically healed for the sake of his so called confidence. You can’t avoid the mental aspects of recovering from an injury. Luck will deal with those demons on his time not ours. 

I never said this. He will never get on the field if not medically cleared/healed.  That is not in play.  If rehab and then practice does bring him back into 'football shape', he must take the field and play.  It is best for him and the team.  I stand by my position.

15 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

95% of Labrum tears are Superior, or Anterior.  Posterior Labrum repairs really are more difficult to return to complete form from.  And take longer. But to me, this is still just a temporary setback.  One I hoped he would avoid, but was always a possibility.  So many negative Nancy's out there.

Yeah that’s why I am taking the wait and see approach he could be back at practice next week or he could be out for the year or anywhere inbetween.  The bottom line is no one here knows so no need to jump to conclusions on either front.  Just wait and see.  

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

He will never get on the field if not medically cleared/healed.  That is not in play.  If rehab and then practice does bring him back into 'football shape', he must take the field and play.  It is best for him and the team.  I stand by my position.

We agree on the underlined. If he isn’t fit to play he doesn’t need to...period Whether or not he has a chance to regain his confidence before next season is immaterial.  That will happen whenever he is healthy enough to test it. IMO, that doesn’t need to happen this season so long as it happens during the process. Even if Luck doesn’t play a game for us this season he has the rest of this year, the offseason, the preseason and next season to heal, rehab, practice, play and regain any alleged lost confidence. 

7 hours ago, indy1888 said:

Irsay claimed over the winter that Luck would be ready for the season.  If Irsay wasn't sure how the process would play out, why make the statement in the first place??? Simply put, that was either a lie or Irsay talking out of his backside. The only person who put that timeline out there was Irsay. And he did it at a time when fan interest was declining rapidly and season tickets were not being renewed.  Heck, Irsay even brought up the possibility that Luck could play week 1 after the last preaseason game. Said it was a long shot but hadn't been ruled out?  What a load of nonsense.  And i don't believe for one minute this is the first setback that Luck has had, he had to have had another setback somewhere along the way even though the Colts won't tell you the truth.

You are 100% right. The third option that a complex medical recuperation could go wrong is just outrageous. Yes, Jim needs to lie, as he is down to his last billion dollars.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Medically, he is not healed, and he will not heal sitting at home eating bon bons.  He needs the athletic trainers to rehab him and get him back in practice shape, then he needs to start over in the 4 week get in football shape practice progression. Once he makes it to the end, get him in some games and let him gain mental and physical confidence 'This_Year', and have a foundation on which to build upon for next year.  I do not want him unsure mentally and physically to begin next season.  And if he doesn't get well and play this year, that is exactly what will happen.

Good point. It is also worth mentioning that we can divide the time between Brisset and Luck in a game to ease Luck in. It doesn’t have to be either/or. Get Luck some playing time in fourth quarter when the opposing defense might be a bit tired. 

I'm pretty sure soreness was probably going to happen.

How could it not be a possibility if you haven't been bombing football's in months? Getting cortisone shots aren't the end of the world. It takes tons of shots to affect (weaken) an area.

I'm thinking the FO just wanted to acknowledge what's happening before next week when he's off the practice list and the questions will start about him being re-injured or what's wrong with Luck now?

Probably a total non story, they love the potential career ending storyline.

I ain't panicking until we get some evidence he's truly damaged beyond repair.

I will now prepare to see our Colts with Brissett when I come over for the Denver game.

It’s disappointing but I’d prefer he is 100% before coming back rather than another injury riddled year next year because we rushed him.

It’s also a good excuse for me to come back to the US and see another Colts game.

Although I will say not having Andrew out there makes getting up at 4am hard to watch the games, especially when you have no expectations of a win. I’ll still do it cause I can’t avoid the score and I hate watching games after I know the score and a loss makes it even harder to watch.

3 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Good point. It is also worth mentioning that we can divide the time between Brisset and Luck in a game to ease Luck in. It doesn’t have to be either/or. Get Luck some playing time in fourth quarter when the opposing defense might be a bit tired. 

Of course, this is based upon him making it to the level to play this year.  His recovery has been long already, but medically speaking, there is still a chance both Andrew Luck and Aaron Rogers make it back into uniform before the season ends, Luck with the edge right at this  moment.  And, there's a chance ...  well, we don't need to go there.... yet.

If he can do it, he should.  He would be well served during the offseason to know he can do it once more.  The Colts must know this is already an issue on top of the heavy physical load in his recovery.  There is hard science to back up positive attitudes speed recovery and reach post surgical goals.  Each step along the way is additive.  No reason to wait when there is no physical roadblock.

Colts general manager Chris Ballard talked like a guy who is leaving that possibility open because he wouldn't put a timeline on when Luck will return to practice, and he couldn't say for sure that his $140 million quarterback will play this season.

"I don't think it'll be long, but I don't want to sit here and give you an exact date and it doesn't happen and you're saying, 'What was that guy talking about?'" Ballard said.

Playing Luck this season would be a good idea if he were going to be ready for the Week 8 game at Cincinnati or even Week 9 at Houston. But the odds of that happening are pretty slim at this point because of the lack of a timeline for when he'll get back on the practice field for the Colts (2-4).

What you need to know in the NFL

nfl.png?w=140&h=140&transparent=true
Statistics
Scoreboard
2017 schedule, results
Standings

"I don't think anybody in this room can question Andrew Luck's toughness and willingness to go out and play with pain," Ballard said. "We want to get to a point where he can practice every day."

One thing Ballard, unlike owner Jim Irsay, has emphasized since April is that the franchise quarterback will not play until he's fully healthy. That's why it wouldn't be surprising if Luck doesn't play again until the 2018 season. It isn't worth Luck re-injuring his shoulder or suffering another injury during a season that has already seen several high-profile players, including Aaron Rodgers, Odell Beckham Jr. and J.J. Watt, suffer season-ending injuries.

It has always been about Luck's long-term health, not the short term. The Colts are fine enduring their current lumps because they want to ensure that Luck is their starting quarterback for years to come. Jacoby Brissett, who was acquired from New England on Sept. 2, will continue to start at quarterback until the Colts make Luck their starter again.

Colts general manager Chris Ballard talked like a guy who is leaving that possibility open because he wouldn't put a timeline on when Luck will return to practice, and he couldn't say for sure that his $140 million quarterback will play this season.

"I don't think it'll be long, but I don't want to sit here and give you an exact date and it doesn't happen and you're saying, 'What was that guy talking about?'" Ballard said.

Playing Luck this season would be a good idea if he were going to be ready for the Week 8 game at Cincinnati or even Week 9 at Houston. But the odds of that happening are pretty slim at this point because of the lack of a timeline for when he'll get back on the practice field for the Colts (2-4).

What you need to know in the NFL

nfl.png?w=140&h=140&transparent=true
Statistics
Scoreboard
2017 schedule, results
Standings

"I don't think anybody in this room can question Andrew Luck's toughness and willingness to go out and play with pain," Ballard said. "We want to get to a point where he can practice every day."

One thing Ballard, unlike owner Jim Irsay, has emphasized since April is that the franchise quarterback will not play until he's fully healthy. That's why it wouldn't be surprising if Luck doesn't play again until the 2018 season. It isn't worth Luck re-injuring his shoulder or suffering another injury during a season that has already seen several high-profile players, including Aaron Rodgers, Odell Beckham Jr. and J.J. Watt, suffer season-ending injuries.

It has always been about Luck's long-term health, not the short term. The Colts are fine enduring their current lumps because they want to ensure that Luck is their starting quarterback for years to come. Jacoby Brissett, who was acquired from New England on Sept. 2, will continue to start at quarterback until the Colts make Luck their starter again.

9 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

And last Place in the AFC South is something to be positive about.....  Pagano hadn't even seen Luck throw just a few weeks ago (what was Pags doing then, head still in the sand) and Luck has only had 4 practices in 2 weeks, with the practice squad, limited to 5 or 6 reps at each and now this....  +++++ so many thigs to be positive about!

12 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

And last Place in the AFC South is something to be positive about.....  Pagano hadn't even seen Luck throw just a few weeks ago (what was Pags doing then, head still in the sand) and Luck has only had 4 practices in 2 weeks, with the practice squad, limited to 5 or 6 reps at each and now this....  +++++ so many thigs to be positive about!

The simple fact that he practiced is a positive.  Now they are resting him.  Theyve said all along that they werent gonna rush him back.  Honestly, I think the loss at TN forced them to admit that they werent going anywhere this season so they decided to err on the side of caution and slow Luck's practice/progress down.  And it sounds like its just for this week at this time and they think he'll return to throwing next week.  Definitely not career ending at this point, but I do think he'll play a game or two this year if healthy.  You gotta know what you have with Luck going into the off season, especially with a high draft pick.

8 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

You are 100% right. The third option that a complex medical recuperation could go wrong is just outrageous. Yes, Jim needs to lie, as he is down to his last billion dollars.

Complex?  The owner called it a simple procedure. The owner said he was healing "tremendously".  The owner said he would be ready to start the season. The owner hadn't ruled him out to start the season 10 days before it started.  The owner claimed there had been no setbacks.  What does Irsay's wealth has to do with him not being honest with his fanbase, he's still a businessman and his job is to make money. If you want to keep buying the line of nonsense that he has been selling you since last winter then have at it, but this has all been predictable. 

17 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I dont care what Pags wants at this point.

his days are numbered.

i understand your point tho.

i'm thinking the rooks wont do any worse.  Mack, wilson, basham, walker, etc.  i meant evaluate the "fringe" players, not so much the rookies. I, by no means, meant scrap the season and starters.  But put everyone on notice that the rest of this year is an interview for the future.

You don't have to care about what Pagano wants, but you should care about making logical decisions, right?

IF you think Pagano's days are numbered and the rookies/ fringe players should play, then you should fire Pagano, now, today, because like I stated, Pagano wants to win to fight for his job. That means he will not play the rookies or fringe playes and treat the season like it's the preseason....a period of evaluation.

If you fire Pagano and evaluate the rookies/fringe players, which coach will want to step into that role, especially without Luck? Not a serious coaching candidate; perhaps a current position coach willing to take a chance at a head coaching opportunity.

1 hour ago, indy1888 said:

Complex?  The owner called it a simple procedure. The owner said he was healing "tremendously".  The owner said he would be ready to start the season. The owner hadn't ruled him out to start the season 10 days before it started.  The owner claimed there had been no setbacks.  What does Irsay's wealth has to do with him not being honest with his fanbase, he's still a businessman and his job is to make money. If you want to keep buying the line of nonsense that he has been selling you since last winter then have at it, but this has all been predictable. 

Gee, it is not like he didn't do much the same with the $26M dollar man when he missed his season.
 This New news is extremely exciting for me, YES!
 Now if Jacoby could just take a knee for the rest of the season, woweee. That would top it off. GO COLTS

19 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I'd be lying if I said that questions about his long term prospects weren't starting to creep in. I don't like the way this is headed. 

I agree. . . he's been recovering from surgery for a long time, they where taking him slow and he's got soreness now.  

Seems less likely that he will play this season.  And it makes me wondering if he's going to be able to play at all.  10 months after surgery guy can't toss it around to the scout team in practice without needing a cortisone injection.