Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Regression of Mack and Hooker?

Ne-Ca-Higher

It appeared Mack and Hooker struggled more in this game than prior games.  Mack appeared to have a great opportunity to score a long TD run but he cut it back inside instead of using his blocker to get farther outside where it looked like clear sailing.  Other plays showed a similar lack of his full ability.  Hooker was schooled on the long pass play and especially by Henry near the sideline.  Hooker needed to get even with Henry, not ahead of him, to push him out of bounds.  It didn't help that the trailing backer failed to recognize that Hooker had cut off the sideline so that Henry's only move was back inside.  Hooker needed to get lower and trip up Henry's ankle or foot, not hit him where he's strongest in the thigh.

Are these young players simply showing their inexperience or is something else involved?  Is Mack hurting physically from being subjected to NFL hits?  Does he have the requisite durability to play running back in this league? or is he better suited to be a slot receiver?  Hooker didn't look explosive at any time in this game -- is he healthy?  Is he hesitating because he's insecure in reading opposing veteran QBs?

I'm hoping it's mostly inexperience.

Mack is only getting started. I'm really excited to see what he will bring in the up coming years. That being said i am truly disappointed hes not being used properly like McCaffery or Hunt. i believe McCaff will have that one game were hell take it to the house. But until then i like how newton is checking it down to him or hitting him on a slant route to which he takes for pretty solid gains. Hunt on the other hand well he needs not words for his Mvp of the rookies type of perfomace so far from both pass catching and rushing. But Macks just fine he needs a better coaching staff.

1 hour ago, Ne-Ca-Higher said:

It appeared Mack and Hooker struggled more in this game than prior games.  Mack appeared to have a great opportunity to score a long TD run but he cut it back inside instead of using his blocker to get farther outside where it looked like clear sailing.  Other plays showed a similar lack of his full ability.  Hooker was schooled on the long pass play and especially by Henry near the sideline.  Hooker needed to get even with Henry, not ahead of him, to push him out of bounds.  It didn't help that the trailing backer failed to recognize that Hooker had cut off the sideline so that Henry's only move was back inside.  Hooker needed to get lower and trip up Henry's ankle or foot, not hit him where he's strongest in the thigh.

Are these young players simply showing their inexperience or is something else involved?  Is Mack hurting physically from being subjected to NFL hits?  Does he have the requisite durability to play running back in this league? or is he better suited to be a slot receiver?  Hooker didn't look explosive at any time in this game -- is he healthy?  Is he hesitating because he's insecure in reading opposing veteran QBs?

These two guys will have their good weeks and bad weeks and this wasn't a great game by really anyone.

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Regressing from what? They're 6 games in.

Hooker got beat once bad. It happens. Mack needs the ball to, uhh.. participate?

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know I don't even get the point of the thread lmao 

And Hooker had the really nice pass breakup to save a TD.

Niether regressed....

Hell, Mack only was handed off to TWICE!!! TWICE!!! and 1 of those went for 20+ yards and he almost broke that to the house.

Hooker had a very good game.  He messed out a couple times, but that's not a regression.

:realitycheck:

No hooker didnt he only allowed 1 catch and it wasnt even his fault cuz dessir didnt grab his zone

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Niether regressed....

Hell, Mack only was handed off to TWICE!!! TWICE!!! and 1 of those went for 20+ yards and he almost broke that to the house.

Hooker had a very good game.  He messed out a couple times, but that's not a regression.

:realitycheck:

Agree, it's shameful how few touches Mack got.  Especially when you consider the one that he took for 20+ yards wasn't some gimme, I believe he had to avoid a tackle at the line and then found just a sliver of space to break it.  

The 2nd one wasn't going to go anywhere.  Defense knew the play and had him bottled up.  You could say maybe he shouldn't have lost as many yards but you have to give the kid a chance to learn.  

Hooker seemed to play decent.  He gave up that TD on coverage but he should have had help underneath.  

But he also had a nice pass defensed early on I think against Walker.  

I want to see one of the reporters who likes to stir the pot (Holder maybe)...ask Pagano...

"Why, not only did Mack have two carries, but more importantly, he only has 5 targets in his first five games?" And before he answers, remind him that last season, a much less talented UDFA, Josh Ferguson, who was awful in pass protection (and running the ball), was given 21 targets in his first five games. And this was with Andrew Luck at QB...not a second-year QB who would benefit even more from having the HB dumpoffs.

So we know pass protection isn't the issue. Because Ferguson was terrible in that aspect. And I doubt the Colts value Brissett's health over Luck's.

So what reason, other than coaching incompetence, can he give for why Mack isn't involved in the passing game?

One might wonder if Mack is a Ballard pick...and not a Pagano/Chud pick. 

The play where Hooker got beat deep wasn't even his fault. He thought he had help underneath and didn't. There was a replay where they showed Hooker's face when Desir came up to him and he wasn't very happy. 

As for Mack, like everyone else has said, he only got 2 carries the whole game.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Some of the topics on this forum make it hard to remain a Colts fan, the whole guilt by association thing.

Sometimes I open a thread and it feel like my IQ drops 20 points just by reading it (and it's not like I have a whole lot of spare points to give).

No offense to the OP - this is a general statement.  People will write things for total strangers to read that they wouldn't say out loud in a million years.

3 hours ago, dodsworth said:

The only thing regressing is the coaching.

Exactly you have marlon mack who had a big game last week 4 minutes into the game you give him 1 carry and he goes for 22 yards how the hell does mack finish the game with 2 carries for 18 yards? He should've had 10-15. At one point in the game gore had 10 for 49 mack had 2 for 18 and brissett had 3-5 carries. Colts were avg 5 yards a carry and titans who were losing or were tied had 35 rush attempts with 3.0 avg. It's terrible coaching Mack should've had more carries. The colts have better chance of win when losing at halftime because when they winning opposing coaching staff makes adjustments and wins while our coaching staff clearly doesn't make any as they don't score td's at all in the second half. It doesn't make sense to have the lead basically all first half and have 12 rb rushing attempts vs titans 35 rb rushing attempts.