Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Luck doesnt play next week

CR91

He told Gruden and Donahue he wasn't playing - they said it in the booth last night.  So you're exactly right - the handling of Luck this season was a train wreck.  From the start.  Management butchered it.  I understand he couldn't have practiced the last two weeks, but from what we've read, and heard, what difference would that have made?  Going with Tolzien, being forced to trade for a QB in September, taking up a roster spot on Luck all year, it is all a mess.  Ballard missing on the OL he drafted and signed and the QB situation were not exactly high water marks for him in my mind.  He really missed on both. 

Luck is not playing next week. He's already been ruled out.

The decision to place him on IR was made before week 1 of the season. At that time, they were hopeful that 1) he could practice with the team as part of his recovery back on to the field; 2) he may have recovered fast enough to have played within the first 6 weeks.

Unfortunately he has not gotten to the point where he can play, but he has been practicing. He would not have been able to practice with the team if he was IR'd.

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Which doesn't look like it will happen, can someone explain to me what was the point of taking him off the pup list

Read the other multiple threads that this is talked about.  He has been practicing...on PUP he would not be practicing. It very straight forward!

can someone please explain to me why this question keeps popping up?  Even if Luck hadn't started practicing yet, I still don't get the outrage.  All we'd have gained is one single roster spot, right?  Is Luck not important enough to take up that roster spot just in case he might have  been able to play sooner rather than later?  and who is the one magic player that we could have used that roster spot on that would have been the missing X factor that would have led to more than just 2 wins to this point?

I honestly think this question keeps coming up for the simple fact that some people want absolutely ANY excuse to bash the Colt FO/coaching staff.

2 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

He told Gruden and Donahue he wasn't playing - they said it in the booth last night.  So you're exactly right - the handling of Luck this season was a train wreck.  From the start.  Management butchered it.  I understand he couldn't have practiced the last two weeks, but from what we've read, and heard, what difference would that have made?  Going with Tolzien, being forced to trade for a QB in September, taking up a roster spot on Luck all year, it is all a mess.  Ballard missing on the OL he drafted and signed and the QB situation were not exactly high water marks for him in my mind.  He really missed on both. 

what have you read and heard that leads you to believe the past 2 weeks worth of practice have not made any difference as to when Luck could return?

8 minutes ago, J@son said:

what have you read and heard that leads you to believe the past 2 weeks worth of practice have not made any difference as to when Luck could return?

I think Hasselbeck stating his opinion last night pre-game that Luck was a long way off (weeks) after watching him "practice" was as real and true as I've heard - and from a guy who knows the position, the player, and what it takes to play QB in the NFL.  And many writers have said the same thing for months now.  Hasselbeck went so far as to suggest that Luck is having difficulty even with drops and timing, which doesn't even get into the meat of the issue, the strength of the shoulder, which Hasselbeck said is not ready after watching him throw. 

So the debate, to me, is could the Colts have benefited from any part of this absence in a better way than was decided.  Because what we have on the one hand is one of 53 roster spots taken, and one of the inactives spots taken each week, and three practices so far.  So the answer to me is clear, yes, they should have signed a veteran QB over the summer, should have left Luck on the Reserve/PUP and used that roster spot for, I don't care, anything, anyone, since they can't play 60 minutes and are 2-4 and are dead last in point differential in the 4th quarter, and nowhere deep enough at any position.  There were three or four Colts who were cut I would have wanted on the 53 man.  And given time I'm sure I could find 3 or 4 more who were cut by other teams.  All of whom could have actually contributed to on-field production. 

What I'm suggesting is, one day of practice two weeks ago, and two days last week, for a grand total of three, may well have had to happen regardless, but I kind of think that Luck coming back off the Reserve/PUP could have gone straight to three days in week one and accomplished the same exact progress.  We shall see this week.  And the Colts would have had an able bodied player all these weeks, and should have had an able bodied vet at QB who maybe doesn't let leads to the Cards and Titans bleed out. 

1 hour ago, J@son said:

can someone please explain to me why this question keeps popping up?  Even if Luck hadn't started practicing yet, I still don't get the outrage.  All we'd have gained is one single roster spot, right?  Is Luck not important enough to take up that roster spot just in case he might have  been able to play sooner rather than later?  and who is the one magic player that we could have used that roster spot on that would have been the missing X factor that would have led to more than just 2 wins to this point?

I honestly think this question keeps coming up for the simple fact that some people want absolutely ANY excuse to bash the Colt FO/coaching staff.

It isn't only the roster spot.  It's Tolzien in week one.  It's a mad-scramble trade in September for Brissett who still doesn't know the whole O.  It's only 16 chances to win, and with the most important position on the field, the Colts were ok going with Tolzien and then a kid from another system entirely.  That's sad.  That's a mess.  Now I'm presuming the Colts have always known Luck wouldn't be ready too.  If this has all been a mystery, if this was truly the best they could do because they truly believed Luck would be ready week one, than I can soften my stance.  But I don't believe that for a second. 

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

Which doesn't look like it will happen, can someone explain to me what was the point of taking him off the pup list

To keep fan interest up in the early part of the season and to provide fans with the hope that Luck would be back in a couple of weeks, which they knew was never going to happen. Hasselbeck said on ESPN last night that after watching Luck throw he isn't close to returning. Anybody that thinks the Colts are above doing things like this just remember the day after the story popped up that Luck was unhappy and wanted out of Indy, what did they do?  They trotted Luck out to stand at the practice field for everyone to see.  The only time they did that all year. Why would they do that? 

4 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

His handling this season? I'm still trying to figure why he didn't have the surgery when he lacerated his kidney. And these people (Luck included) seem not to be held accountable by the media. 

7 minutes ago, GusFring said:

His handling this season? I'm still trying to figure why he didn't have the surgery when he lacerated his kidney. And these people (Luck included) seem not to be held accountable by the media. 

The media should hold Luck accountable for the decision he made about his body? 

Bottom line is this: it doesn't matter whether it's Luck, Tolzien or Brissett, or hell even Peyton freaking Manning, if the coaches force you to call certain plays and to completely go predictable the entire second half, refuse to play their main running threat who has big play potential every carry, and then force the D to play a jacked up version of zone Defense.

with this coaching staff, it doesn't matter. They absolutely suck and I think we can now see why Grigson micromanaged them so much.  Pagano and his entire staff should have been fired alongside Grigson last year.  This will not get better just cause we get Luck back.  We have not lost due to poor QB play.... outside of perhaps the Rams game that is. It's the coaching staff putting our players into positions/formations that they don't do well in. And having ZERO accountability amongst the players.  

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Bottom line is this: it doesn't matter whether it's Luck, Tolzien or Brissett, or hell even Peyton freaking Manning, if the coaches force you to call certain plays and to completely go predictable the entire second half, refuse to play their main running threat who has big play potential every carry, and then force the D to play a jacked up version of zone Defense.

with this coaching staff, it doesn't matter. They absolutely suck and I think we can now see why Grigson micromanaged them so much.  Pagano and his entire staff should have been fired alongside Grigson last year.  This will not get better just cause we get Luck back.  We have not lost due to poor QB play.... outside of perhaps the Rams game that is. It's the coaching staff putting our players into positions/formations that they don't do well in. And having ZERO accountability amongst the players.  

And the cardinals game,   but JB was thrown into a bad situation

The videos that where posted on here last week looked like his shoulder was fine.  He was throwing deep and had zip.

Timing of course is probably off, he didn't get to practice at all until recently.  

On the other hand I do trust Hasselbeck's knowledge of both what's required to play the position and his knowledge of Luck as a player.  

On 10/17/2017 at 11:41 AM, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Is it really that far-fetched to think that maybe this is how Luck wanted the situation to be handled? You're making sound like he didn't have any say in the matter, and I definitely don't believe that to be the case.

22 hours ago, J@son said:

The media should hold Luck accountable for the decision he made about his body? 

Yes. He's a professional athlete. How does waiting so long help him or the team? Now it's looking like he's out for the year. So much for seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

24 minutes ago, GusFring said:

Yes. He's a professional athlete.

who cares?  it's his body.  He can do whatever he wants with it, which is going to be based on advice from medical professionals.

How does waiting so long help him or the team?

I'm not a Dr so I can't answer as to how waiting would or would not have helped him.

Now it's looking like he's out for the year.

What could you possibly be basing that on?  **edit, nevermind..just saw the thread about him being shut down in practice this week. 

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, stitches said:

It's so he can practice with the team. 

Did anyone really think that Luck would simply step up after his surgery and be ready to instantly play? I have had a similar injury, and I can tell you that he will need at least 6 weeks of practice even with the great recovery programs that an NFL team can afford. So lets just admit that Luck will need several more weeks of practice unless you really want him to aggravate the injury and require even More time to recover.

On 10/17/2017 at 1:41 PM, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I heard that Luck had to get a cortisone shot because his shoulder was sore.  So that's not good.

On 10/17/2017 at 7:09 PM, csmopar said:

I could not agree more! The play calling in the second half was beyond horrendous. I can't put into words how bad it was. They completely did away with the run. It was almost like they were trying to lose. They wore out the defense. 

8 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Is it really that far-fetched to think that maybe this is how Luck wanted the situation to be handled? You're making sound like he didn't have any say in the matter, and I definitely don't believe that to be the case.

I don’t know what you’re trying to convey with the above. This is how Luck wanted what situation handled?  His recovery?  The roster?  The trade?  IR or PUP or active roster?  The owner telling us all he’d be ready week one?  There isn’t a thing about this situation that was handled right in my estimation - save for not playing Luck before he was healthy.  So yes, it’s really far fetched for me to think Luck wanted “the situation” handled this way.  I can’t imagine anyone wanted this situation handled like it’s been so far - unless you’re in the tank the season camp.  

19 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I don’t know what you’re trying to convey with the above. This is how Luck wanted what situation handled?  His recovery?  The roster?  The trade?  IR or PUP or active roster?  The owner telling us all he’d be ready week one?  There isn’t a thing about this situation that was handled right in my estimation - save for not playing Luck before he was healthy.  So yes, it’s really far fetched for me to think Luck wanted “the situation” handled this way.  I can’t imagine anyone wanted this situation handled like it’s been so far - unless you’re in the tank the season camp.  

The only thing that was handled poorly IMO was Irsay saying he'd be ready for training camp. Aside from that, I honestly have no issues with how everything else was handled.