Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will be the next HC of the Indianapolis Colts?

SilentHill

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

A proven commodity??  I am sorry but a proven commodity isn't typically going to leave the team they are winning (proven) with and just come here because we are the Colts.  Outside of the Harbaugh/Gruden specualtion, what proven commodity is there you speak of?  I would say any guy who has experience obviously did something wrong to be fired....correct?  So how does this differ from a guy who is a proven commodity with what he has done just has yet to don the title of Head Coach?

You're right, coaches like Dungy don't just suddenly get fired and become available.  Hey, it's my opinion the Colts would be better off with a coach who has head coaching experience.  You can disagree, that doesn't move my needle one bit.  I'd prefer the formula of HC experience and franchise QB.  It's not like that is foreign, as a matter of fact, I'd call it formulaic, safe, and par for the course in professional sports.  If it were 2012 again, I'd feel differently, I liked the Pagano pick, I would have backed a college HC or hot NFL coordinator to pair with a young stud QB.  We just did that.  With mixed results trending negatively. 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its such a tough call as you can have someone who looks the perfect candidate fall flat on their face (McDaniels in Denver) and you can some no-name (relatively speaking) come in and do a tremendous job (Tomlin).

That may be a disservice to Tomlin but sometimes people like McVay and McDermott who most of us wouldn't have mentioned last year have come in and made excellent starts.

My thoughts on this are that I cant see anyone out there who I think would easily step in and make us what we fans think we should be and so, based on the fact I have liked the work Ballard has done so far, I will go with whatever decision he makes and trust it (unless it is to keep Pagano!).

15 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

You're right, coaches like Dungy don't just suddenly get fired and become available.  Hey, it's my opinion the Colts would be better off with a coach who has head coaching experience.  You can disagree, that doesn't move my needle one bit.  I'd prefer the formula of HC experience and franchise QB.  It's not like that is foreign, as a matter of fact, I'd call it formulaic, safe, and par for the course in professional sports.  If it were 2012 again, I'd feel differently, I liked the Pagano pick, I would have backed a college HC or hot NFL coordinator to pair with a young stud QB.  We just did that.  With mixed results trending negatively. 

You are right the Dungy example is extremely common in today's NFL....

I did not like the Pagano pick when it happened because I feel like there were better options at the time and Pags barely had time under his belt as a DC.  For the future I just want a HC that will be able to do the job to the best of their abilities and I trust Ballard will find that person (fingers crossed).  

6 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

You are right the Dungy example is extremely common in today's NFL....

2014 Harbaugh, 2015 Tom Coughlin 2016 Lovie Smith, 2017 Jeff Fischer.  A Coach who has taken a team to a Super Bowl has been fired, and was therefore available, in each of the last four years.  It actually happens frequently, where winning veteran coaches get let go.   

Just now, Dirty Mudflaps said:

2014 Harbaugh, 2015 Tom Coughlin 2016 Lovie Smith, 2017 Jeff Fischer.  A Coach who has taken a team to a Super Bowl has been fired, and was therefore available, in each of the last four years.  It actually happens frequently, where winning veteran coaches get let go.   

Harbaugh was not likely going to any NFL team.  Coughlin rumored about retirement and is not a Coach anywhere.  Lovie Smith had no success in Tampa Bay, and Jeff Fisher is a joke and has not had success since the early 2000's.  Now in this off season if someone like this was available then yea you would look at them.  What coach would you have in mind with already being a proven commodity?

All I want from our next HC is someone that will take risks and is an aggressive play calling. I'm so sick of this play to not lose approach and letting every team back into the game. I want a coach that will continue to try to get into the end zone when we are winning by 3 touchdowns already. Not someone who will run up the middle 3 times in a row and punt the football and then play soft zone coverage. 

19 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Picture it: "redneck Sundays" at Lucas Oil. People in flannel Colts shirts yelling "YEA BOI! LET'S GO JIM BOB!" 

Alright I'm sold.

I'll go ahead and get my 'Git R Done Bob' sign ready.

19 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Grrr... Brady Hoke. Curse that man... I was at Ball State for the 2008 season, where after going 12-0 he up and left us for San Diego State... Right before the bowl game. And that was probably our only shot of ever winning a bowl game. 

Hey, I was at Ball State around that time also!  It was nice to go from the team that Letterman talked about each with for their losing record or the only win each season was against the Indiana State Sycamores to a team that was competitive in the MAC.  I think before those years, the only time Ball State Football got mentioned on ESPN was when they ran the story about the student getting paralyzed when the mob tore down the goal post after a rare win.  But it did feel like getting stabbed in the back when the coach leaves their alma mater to make a lateral job move for money and sun.

9 minutes ago, our_dbs_rock said:

Hey, I was at Ball State around that time also!  It was nice to go from the team that Letterman talked about each with for their losing record or the only win each season was against the Indiana State Sycamores to a team that was competitive in the MAC.  I think before those years, the only time Ball State Football got mentioned on ESPN was when they ran the story about the student getting paralyzed when the mob tore down the goal post after a rare win.  But it did feel like getting stabbed in the back when the coach leaves their alma mater to make a lateral job move for money and sun.

We truly had a good thing going for awhile. 

20 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Same topic for several years now. But my 2 cents, Pats OC

Someone say why this is not an excellent choice as he is looking real hard for a HC job after turning down some offers. They need someone that comes from a winning organization that does not tolerate losing unlike spineless Chuck and his give-a- xxxx owner. Here is Ballard's chance to prove his worth.

10 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I prefer to pump the brakes until the HC position is still open

well somebody will be the next coach its just a matter of when

i know you generally sympathize with coaches, but its a lost cause around here.  many posters made up their mind about chuck over the last two seasons.

i do think he should go myself, but i have no idea who it will be or when.  i like harbaugh 

48 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

i dont think many here were wanted or fischer or smith.  coughlin might have been interesting but he is getting old to sign a head coaching contract

harbaugh is one of the most popular choices on this board

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Harbaugh was not likely going to any NFL team.  Coughlin rumored about retirement and is not a Coach anywhere.  Lovie Smith had no success in Tampa Bay, and Jeff Fisher is a joke and has not had success since the early 2000's.  Now in this off season if someone like this was available then yea you would look at them.  What coach would you have in mind with already being a proven commodity?

I gave my short list above somewhere early in this thread - from the never-been-a HC coordinator ranks, Frank Reich, and from ex-HCs Callahan, Smith, or Schwartz.  I also mentioned Tom Cable, but NCF pointed out his history of abuse against women, so I would agree with NCF and remove that name for sure.  I was unaware of that history. 

I like Mike Smith.  66-46 record, 1-4 post season which needs improving (why Dungy was let go too, viewed as unable to get over the hump), and a defensive minded guy.  

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i dont think many here were wanted or fischer or smith.  coughlin might have been interesting but he is getting old to sign a head coaching contract

harbaugh is one of the most popular choices on this board

Those weren't recommendations, they were proving the point that veteran coaches, some with winning records even, and appearances in the Super Bowl, end up available every year, and can be had.  And with Luck as a selling point, you'd think the Colts might be a place where a veteran HC could land. 

I want Todd Bowles.  

Jets management handed him the worst roster in the history of the NFL in a naked attempt to tank and he's 3-3.  And even in those 3 losses his team has been in the game.  They don't get blown out.  

Colts can give him something he's never had before as a HC.  A real NFL QB and not just some journeyman.

You ready for this?

I want whomever Ballard thinks is the best candidate after conducting interviews. Gotta trust him on this one. I can name names too, but really, I don't know Jack Squat when it comes down to it.

Is Jim Mora still around?

4 hours ago, SilentHill said:

Oh, it's open. you just don't know it.

Last time I looked Chuck was still coach of this team.  Really, Just look it up yourself.  He really is. I guarantee it.  There is no opening.  Really no opening.  Show me where it's open.  I checked NFL.com, ESPN nothing.  There is no opening.   Sorry.  The job is not open.  

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Last time I looked Chuck was still coach of this team.  Really, Just look it up yourself.  He really is. I guarantee it.  There is no opening.  Really no opening.  Show me where it's open.  I checked NFL.com, ESPN nothing.  There is no opening.   Sorry.  The job is not open.  

I have insider information from "unknown sources" and I challenge you to prove that I do not.

I thinks it's funny that many if not most are wanting Harbaugh but hated Pep....  Pep ran Harbaugh offense and had to combine some o Paganos nonsense into it....  do not be surprised if Harbaugh brings Pep with him.   He works for him now at Michigan and of course did at Stanford.  He may not be OC here but he might be....   he is the passing game coordinator at Michigan like he was at Stanford and they both had a hand in Luck being the number one pick in the draft 

either way Pep with the stupid Pagano influence is a ton better than Chud.    Never wanted Chud.   One of the most over rated coaches I have ever seen.   

On 10/17/2017 at 1:24 PM, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I'm really confused by all the love for Toub.  I mean, special teams, some d-line, liked and respected by players, a players coach...  Sounds frighteningly similar to Pagano...  No head coaching experience at any level is an instant no for me.  The Luck era doesn't have enough time left in it for another guy to have to work through learning what it means to be in charge of everything again.  The Colts need leadership, from the word go, from someone who has been there and done it. 

I'll throw an odd name out there - Frank Reich.  If they're going to look at NFL coordinators, I'd at least bring him in for an interview.  I'm a bit biased as a Terp, but what he's done in Philadelphia with a young QB is impressive to me. 

But, if I were the GM, I'd be looking for a guy with NFL head coaching experience, and more experience on the defensive side of the ball.  So Mike Smith, Jim Schwartz, etc.  The two offensive minded I'd like to at least reach out to would be Tom Cable and Bill Callahan.  OL gurus. 

It's not that surprising. Many STs coaches have proven to be great HC(Belichick for one). Not to mention, the STs under Toub has consistently played well(Bears with Hester, now KC). 

16 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

It's not that surprising. Many STs coaches have proven to be great HC(Belichick for one). Not to mention, the STs under Toub has consistently played well(Bears with Hester, now KC). 

True. Add John Harbaugh to that list. 

ST coaches deal with personnel from offense and defense and get to deal with more strengths and weaknesses than just the OC or DC, IMO. Pagano was never an ST coach, from what I can remember. He had always been around the secondary coaching, and then 1 big year of being DC with a loaded Ravens team helped him, very much like Mike Tomlin.

Head coaching is more than Xs and Os, it is managing players, on field situations, and working with co-ordinators well enough to come up with game plans that will work from week to week. 

16 hours ago, chad72 said:

True. Add John Harbaugh to that list. 

ST coaches deal with personnel from offense and defense and get to deal with more strengths and weaknesses than just the OC or DC, IMO. Pagano was never an ST coach, from what I can remember. He had always been around the secondary coaching, and then 1 big year of being DC with a loaded Ravens team helped him, very much like Mike Tomlin.

Head coaching is more than Xs and Os, it is managing players, on field situations, and working with co-ordinators well enough to come up with game plans that will work from week to week. 

Good and interesting points.

Dave Toub is a gamble though on several levels.

1) He has no HC experience.

2) He will bring in a new OC and DC and they might have limited experience themselves. This is probably the most tricky part to get right.

3) Ballard will have a lot of his goodwill ridding on the success or failure of Toub. Not optimal, but I guess it is what it will be.

I think most of us just want to see a radical change now, so I’m not arguing against Toub, and having a HC that the GM fully trust is not a bad start.

I'd like a coach who is not fine with staying the coarse of mediocracy, not making the same mistakes over & over, and hoping for different results. A little less lip service from the owner who reminds me in his interviews of the wizard of oz  "pay no attention  to the man behind the curtain" Let the GM have more control if it is true that Irsay is the one who wants chuck to stay. Let him hire his choice as HC and assistants. Irsay's biggest decision should have been hiring ballard, step back, and let him do his job

5 hours ago, ManningGM said:

Dave Toub will be our next head coach. 

He is probably a top candidate if Jim wants a newbie coach.  I don't see Irasy going along with a newbie coach after Luck has been here six years or so.  I think he's going to want an experienced guy like when he chose Dungy right after he was fired.  Chuck will not be the only coach fired.  Don't rule out the other coaches that will be fired this year as possible replacements.  Everyone talks about Ariens but another strong possibility is Sean Payton.  And he's won a SB too.