Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will be the next HC of the Indianapolis Colts?

SilentHill

5 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

See, I'm the opposite, I don't think he'd entertain a return to the NFL unless he was coming to a team where the expectations would be high. What would be the point of leaving his cushy job at ESPN and coming to a team that's content with playing for draft position?

You think we're content?      Really?

I think if we were content then we wouldn't have traded for Brissett.        We would have hunkered down with Tolzein and ridden out the storm.

I don't think there's any part of this franchise that is content....

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I'm really confused by all the love for Toub.  I mean, special teams, some d-line, liked and respected by players, a players coach...  Sounds frighteningly similar to Pagano...  No head coaching experience at any level is an instant no for me.  The Luck era doesn't have enough time left in it for another guy to have to work through learning what it means to be in charge of everything again.  The Colts need leadership, from the word go, from someone who has been there and done it. 

I'll throw an odd name out there - Frank Reich.  If they're going to look at NFL coordinators, I'd at least bring him in for an interview.  I'm a bit biased as a Terp, but what he's done in Philadelphia with a young QB is impressive to me. 

But, if I were the GM, I'd be looking for a guy with NFL head coaching experience, and more experience on the defensive side of the ball.  So Mike Smith, Jim Schwartz, etc.  The two offensive minded I'd like to at least reach out to would be Tom Cable and Bill Callahan.  OL gurus. 

Toub is considered one of the greatest football minds in the game.  Not one of the greatest ST minds.  One of the best football minds - period. 

6 of his ST units made the list for best ST units in the last 30 years.

6.  That is, in a word, remarkable.

"The Chiefs’ current special teams coordinator Dave Toub also appeared on the list several times with his Chicago Bears squads. Overall, Toub had six different special teams units appear on the list."

9 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't know, but me personally I want an offensive minded coach. Get someone who will mold Luck and the Colts into an elite offense. And hopefully a coach that would hire a good DC.

Agreed.

Score points and allow a real DC to figure it out.

7 hours ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I'm really confused by all the love for Toub.  I mean, special teams, some d-line, liked and respected by players, a players coach...  Sounds frighteningly similar to Pagano...  No head coaching experience at any level is an instant no for me.  The Luck era doesn't have enough time left in it for another guy to have to work through learning what it means to be in charge of everything again.  The Colts need leadership, from the word go, from someone who has been there and done it. 

I'll throw an odd name out there - Frank Reich.  If they're going to look at NFL coordinators, I'd at least bring him in for an interview.  I'm a bit biased as a Terp, but what he's done in Philadelphia with a young QB is impressive to me. 

But, if I were the GM, I'd be looking for a guy with NFL head coaching experience, and more experience on the defensive side of the ball.  So Mike Smith, Jim Schwartz, etc.  The two offensive minded I'd like to at least reach out to would be Tom Cable and Bill Callahan.  OL gurus. 

Callahan?      Absolutely.    Tremendous coach.     Not sure he's cut out to be an HC,  he may just be only an OL coach,  but he's one of the very best.      Without question.

But Cable gets a HUGE Hell No from me!       He's got girlfriend beating on his resume' and he beat up a fellow assistant coach on the Raiders.        He's a very good coach,   but a very poor human being.     Not for me.

41 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don't know, but me personally I want an offensive minded coach. Get someone who will mold Luck and the Colts into an elite offense. And hopefully a coach that would hire a good DC.

I want a coach that can hire outstanding coordinators and then get out of the way and let them do their jobs.  The Hoodie is a brilliant defensive mind, but he delegates and lets his coordinators call games.  Of course he oversees everything, but he's a great head coach first and foremost. 

He's not a hands-off CEO-type, but he's not a meddler, either.  He holds everyone accountable, from the coordinators to the position coaches.

I want a head coach that is focused on making the handful of critical decisions (4th down calls, time management calls, etc.) a game that can win or lose you games in the NFL. 

I want a new Strength & Conditioning coach as well.  That will be the second most important hire after the head coach.  This team is nowhere near the top of the list when it comes to strength, stamina, and explosiveness.  It's a major reason why this team wilts in second halves, aside from the complete lack of in-game adjustments by the coaching staff.

Just my 2 cents based on what I see from collegiate and NFL programs that are consistently successful. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think if we were content then we wouldn't have traded for Brissett.        We would have hunkered down with Tolzein and ridden out the storm.

He didn’t mean us, he meant other teams besides the Colts. 

Im in the group that isn't buying all the hype around toub. he doesn't have any OC, DC, or HC experience. If he really is one of the "best football minds" why hasn't he been given a shot? I do like that he is coming from the Andy Reid tree though. But it is a lot of risk getting someone without proven results as an OC, DC or HC, especially in Luck's prime.

8 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'm not sure how I'd feel about McDaniels. I mean, what does he actually do there? That offensive system was in place in New England long before he showed up, and it's completely dependent on Belichick/Brady. Remove McDaniels from the equation, and nothing changes with the Pats offense, remove Belichick/Brady, you may as well blow the whole thing up. I'd think long and hard before hiring McDaniels, or anyone from the Belichick coaching tree for that matter. The results with former Pats assistants turned HC isn't exactly glowing.

Actually, the Pats have never won a Super Bowl without McDaniels involved in the organization in some capacity.  And I think he does a whole lot. He still calls & designs the plays for Brady. I think he’s a guy Luck would immediately trust and could bring some Brady tips for Luck to use...

2 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Toub is considered one of the greatest football minds in the game.  Not one of the greatest ST minds.  One of the best football minds - period. 

"The Chiefs’ current special teams coordinator Dave Toub also appeared on the list several times with his Chicago Bears squads. Overall, Toub had six different special teams units appear on the list."

So who are the young stud OC & DC he brings with him?

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Teams might "play for a draft position " when they are out of the playoff picture. I think this issue is way overstated in the NFL and no way the Colts went into week 1 playing for a high pick. As to the head coach for next year , I think it's wide open with no real favorite. As of right now , is there even 1 or 2 guys that stand above the crowd ... that we know will look to coach and NFL team ?

If Irsay is really chasing Gruden, he needs to be put out to pasture ASAP.  Gruden is a failure just waiting to happen. Screw the splash hire (which is all Gruden would be in my opinion) & get somebody in here who isn’t over a decade removed from being a successful coach.   

Not sure on Toub. Gotta know who the coordinators would be.  I want McDaniels. It’ll respark the Colts/Patriots rivalry which would immediately boost our relevancy again.  Plus I like the quick hitting offense & the way they exploit mismatches in his offense. 

And for the guys posting about the Jim/John Harbaugh Super Bowl...  John definitely dominated. If not for the “power outage” that changed momentum, the Ravens were on their way to an epic blowout of the 49ers. 

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

If Irsay is really chasing Gruden, he needs to be put out to pasture ASAP.  Gruden is a failure just waiting to happen. Screw the splash hire (which is all Gruden would be in my opinion) & get somebody in here who isn’t over a decade removed from being a successful coach.   

Not sure on Toub. Gotta know who the coordinators would be.  I want McDaniels. It’ll respark the Colts/Patriots rivalry which would immediately boost our relevancy again.  Plus I like the quick hitting offense & the way they exploit mismatches in his offense. 

And for the guys posting about the Jim/John Harbaugh Super Bowl...  John definitely dominated. If not for the “power outage” that changed momentum, the Ravens were on their way to an epic blowout of the 49ers. 

How did the power going out change momentum exactly?

18 minutes ago, BOTT said:

How did the power going out change momentum exactly?

Baltimore had just taken a 28-6 lead when the lights went out. After a 30 Plus minute delay the game resumed.  The 49ers were going nowhere fast. They caught fire after the delay. A 30 minute forced timeout/stoppage can easily change momentum in a sporting contest. It happens a lot. We see it in many sports with rain delays & such. 

Just now, Smoke317 said:

Baltimore had just taken a 28-6 lead when the lights went out. After a 30 Plus minute delay the game resumed.  The 49ers were going nowhere fast. They caught fire after the delay. A 30 minute forced timeout/stoppage can easily change momentum in a sporting contest. It happens a lot. We see it in many sports with rain delays & such. 

That explains it....

I think its to early to be thinking about a new head coach....But I don't like the fact he get comfortable with a lead and doesn't want to attract..   I think Tom Brady said it best, when I'm up by 31, it like I'm down by 31 so I have to get busy...I don't see that fight in the coaching staff and that roles off to the players..There goal is to put up 41 points a game..and even if they don't reach that goal, shoot for something...I just don't see the fight...If we are seeking another coach, I would like to see someone that have the balls to shoot for 100 points a game..

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually,  I don't think that's true.     Andrew did NOT love Harbaugh at Stanford.     I'd say he liked him.

He loved Harbaugh as a coach,   but not so much as a person.     Remember,  Harbaugh wares out his welcome everywhere he goes...   and he did at Stanford.      Harbaugh is a better coach than Shaw,   but Shaw is a better person.

Would Andrew like to have Harbaugh as his new HC?      I'd guess yes....   but he'd be cautioning his teammates to brace themselves for Harbaugh....    he's like a hurricane.       And in 4-5 years,  Harbs would likely be done here in Indy....     

That's just how he rolls...

By the way,  my info comes from parents of other Stanford players who played with Luck during the Harbaugh years.

I know you follow Stanford more closely than I do so I trust what you are saying but my point is still valid. Ok he liked him but didn't love him and Harbaugh is a great Coach. So most of what I said is spot on.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know you follow Stanford more closely than I do so I trust what you are saying but my point is still valid. Ok he liked him but didn't love him and Harbaugh is a great Coach. So most of what I said is spot on.

Yes...    I was primarily responding to the assertion that Luck loved Harbaugh.    

Describing Harbaugh is difficult because he's so unique.    He's not like anyone you've ever read about or worked with.

He does get the most out of his team and that's obviously what you want.    But he's also likely to be the first HC murdered by a player or member of his own coaching staff!    He rides everyone way too hard and after a while fatigue and exhaustion begins to set in.

That would be my concern for the Colts.   After dealing with Grigson, is that really what the Colts want and need?

Just some food for thought....

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes...    I was primarily responding to the assertion that Luck loved Harbaugh.    

Describing Harbaugh is difficult because he's so unique.    He's not like anyone you've ever read about or worked with.

He does get the most out of his team and that's obviously what you want.    But he's also likely to be the first HC murdered by a player or member of his own coaching staff!    He rides everyone way too hard and after a while fatigue and exhaustion begins to set in.

That would be my concern for the Colts.   After dealing with Grigson, is that really what the Colts want and need?

Just some food for thought....

Yeah Harbaugh is a different kind of cat lmao. I met him and got his autograph, he was cool that day. I know what you are saying though.

NFL coaches aren't typically geniuses.  Bellichik is the closest in the league to one...at least in football IQ.  You would think there would be a young up and coming guy like him somewhere.  If so, that's who I want.  Maybe it is Josh McDaniels.  BB did want him back.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Harbaugh is a different kind of cat lmao. I met him and got his autograph, he was cool that day. I know what you are saying though.

With fans, he's typically good.    Especially those who are looking for an autograph.    

The thing he he does that a fan wouldn't like is every injury is considered TOP SECRET!!    

Harbs likes to describe injuries as...   "he's working through something.."     He won't confirm or deny ANYTHING until he absolutely has to.     He'd very much approve of how the Colts have handled the info surrounding Luck's rehab.    

As a fan, he can get frustrating too.    You put up with it because he gets the most out of his team.    But the routine can feel old and tired pretty quickly.   

Talented coach.   Tiring individual.

6 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

So who are the young stud OC & DC he brings with him?

OC: Matt Nagy (someone who is a first-year OC with KC right now; would probably be willing to move for a chance to coach Luck).  Former QB.  Relatively young guy (39). 

Or, you could go with Harold Goodwin of the Cardinals (trading up from Palmer to Luck).  He could easily be a HC someday, too. 

DC: This is the tricky one.  Not many "young" DCs out there.  You'd likely be promoting a promising position coach who missed out on a DC opportunity with another team. 

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cooter would be nice, he is an awesome offensive mind.

I could get behind that. He definetly knows how to run offenses. He could call the plays on O and eliminate Chud, who also needs to go... like yesterday. I'm sure he wouldn't take it but I'd like it if Chuck stuck around as DB's coach. I think he'd make a fine position coach or coordinator, he is just not head coach material. 

38 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I could get behind that. He definetly knows how to run offenses. He could call the plays on O and eliminate Chud, who also needs to go... like yesterday. I'm sure he wouldn't take it but I'd like it if Chuck stuck around as DB's coach. I think he'd make a fine position coach or coordinator, he is just not head coach material. 

Not sure I know of any failed HC's who stick around to coach a player group.

15 hours ago, a06cc said:

His first 5 season look exactly like Pagano’s. 

So you are telling me that Gruden's first 5 years looks like Pagano to you?  I am not one to question eye sight but what stats are you looking at?  His first two years were 8-8.  That means he got there and immediately turned them around from a 4-12 team in 1997.  He then got better his 3rd and 4th season.  His 5th.....he won the SB!  Are you kidding me with your stats and evaluation right now??

Pagano got here and went 11-5 his first 3 years AND THEN went 8-8 the last 2.  How do you not see the clear difference?  And this is not even mentioning that Pagano did this with no talent, no Luck, no defense..... but I guess to you both of these guys based on this 5 year stat, YOU are looking at are terrible?

12 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Chicken or egg to me - if I had Hester and Hill as starting pieces, I bet I'd look good too.  And to me, special teams play is about completing a roster, the GM, as much as coaching - clearly those teams have had depth as well as talent.  I have no idea what Toub will or won't become in terms of a HC.  It just surprises me that so many here seem just fine with another guy with absolutely zero experience on any level being the top dog.  If Luck is a once in a generation kind of player, I'd sure rather lean on a proven commodity at head coach.  That formula worked for the Colts before.  As it has with so many other great QB/HC combos. 

2 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Chicken or egg to me - if I had Hester and Hill as starting pieces, I bet I'd look good too.  And to me, special teams play is about completing a roster, the GM, as much as coaching - clearly those teams have had depth as well as talent.  I have no idea what Toub will or won't become in terms of a HC.  It just surprises me that so many here seem just fine with another guy with absolutely zero experience on any level being the top dog.  If Luck is a once in a generation kind of player, I'd sure rather lean on a proven commodity at head coach.  That formula worked for the Colts before.  As it has with so many other great QB/HC combos. 

A proven commodity??  I am sorry but a proven commodity isn't typically going to leave the team they are winning (proven) with and just come here because we are the Colts.  Outside of the Harbaugh/Gruden specualtion, what proven commodity is there you speak of?  I would say any guy who has experience obviously did something wrong to be fired....correct?  So how does this differ from a guy who is a proven commodity with what he has done just has yet to don the title of Head Coach?

14 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Sounds a lot like bill belichick and Peyton Manning. It has worked out well for both organizations. 

Very true - it can work.  But we're not talking about a hypothetical, or BB or Manning.  We know what JH is, he continues to be who he is now at Michigan.  I get it, I understand why so many think it is the glass slipper and all will be right in the world.  I see a methodical offense, an ultra-conservative approach, rely on the D, and play the field position game.  Michigan has the 93rd offense right now, finished 69th last year.  In SF his total offense ranked 26, 11, 24, and 20.  I don't think he could rebuild the Colts in his image through his first 4 years of his contract.  Luck then would be 32, and his next contract is due.  I just think that ship has sailed.  And that's if he leaves/gets fired at Michigan.