Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will be the next HC of the Indianapolis Colts?

SilentHill

31 minutes ago, J@son said:

Sure what you said about Luck's shoulder is possible, but I personally don't buy it.  I don't recall there being any changes in his health being reported between the time that Gruden and Irsay met and the time that Ballard was hired.  If Luck's shoulder was the issue then I don't think he would have said he would take the offer if Grigson wasn't here.

Would you put it past Irsay at all to tell all of us that Luck was going to be ready for training camp, while at the same time telling a potential HC hire behind closed doors that he'll miss a bulk of the season?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, a06cc said:

And I’m going to say no to Griselda. The guy wasn’t handed a team that’s how he won a SB and didn’t do anything after that. He is way to hyped up just like Arians is on this forum. 

It seems like you're forgetting about the Raiders teams that Gruden coached. They would've gone to 2 SBs in a row if it hadn't been for the Tuck Rule game. Those Oakland teams were great.

None of us should agree as well. I know everyone wants what’s best for the team moving forward. We have plenty of football left this season. If we somehow beat the Jags we’re still in it. If Luck comes back the following week than the odds improve even more. It’s nice to think ahead sometimes, however let’s be focused on what’s going on right now. It’s team only has a limited amount of play makes. Ballard said he had a lot to fix so let’s continue to let him do his work.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Would you put it past Irsay at all to tell all of us that Luck was going to be ready for training camp, while at the same time telling a potential HC hire behind closed doors that he'll miss a bulk of the season?

no, not at all.  but again, the reports that came out immediately after their meeting was that Gruden was interested but refused to work with Grigson.  

the only way I can get it all to make sense is this:

Irsay meets with Gruden to gauge Gruden's interest.  Gruden says no for 2 reasons...Grigson and Luck's health (not wanting to take over the team until he sees that Luck is back to 100% with no long lasting issues from the surgery).  But Gruden could have told Irsay that if he fires Grigson then he'll keep a close eye on Luck's recovery as well as the moves the new GM makes and they could discuss it again the next offseason.  That would explain Chuck being kept for one year and why Gruden still didn't take the job after Grigson was fired.  

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It seems like you're forgetting about the Raiders teams that Gruden coached. They would've gone to 2 SBs in a row if it hadn't been for the Tuck Rule game. Those Oakland teams were great.

Statistics will show he is no better of a coach than Pagano. 8-8 his first two seasons. Then 12-4, 10-6, 12-4. After that he was fired of from Raiders. Inherited a team and won a SB. Had a losing season after and was again fired. He would go onto coach losing records for teams after before not coach in the nfl at all. 

4 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Statistics will show he is no better of a coach than Pagano. 8-8 his first two seasons. Then 12-4, 10-6, 12-4. After that he was fired of from Raiders. Inherited a team and won a SB. Had a losing season after and was again fired. He would go onto coach losing records for teams after before not coach in the nfl at all. 

Statistics would also say we're all *s for wanting Pagano to be fired in the first place. They kind of have a way of not telling the whole story.

10 minutes ago, J@son said:

no, not at all.  but again, the reports that came out immediately after their meeting was that Gruden was interested but refused to work with Grigson.  

Irsay meets with Gruden to gauge Gruden's interest.  Gruden says no for 2 reasons...Grigson and Luck's health (not wanting to take over the team until he sees that Luck is back to 100% with no long lasting issues from the surgery).  But Gruden could have told Irsay that if he fires Grigson then he'll keep a close eye on Luck's recovery as well as the moves the new GM makes and they could discuss it again the next offseason.  That would explain Chuck being kept for one year and why Gruden still didn't take the job after Grigson was fired.  

This is exactly my line of thinking.

11 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I have had this conversation before and you like the other person previously always look at stats one sided.  What you are not saying is the SB he won was against the Raiders team he just built and left.  That is impressive.  

Also after winning the SB he coached for 6 more years at TB.  He did not have one bad year and then get fired.  You last sentence I have no clue what you are trying to say....

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think Chuck will stay if Luck comes back and gets us into the race.  He might not even have to make he playoffs.  If the team plays hard and improves he has the argument he can win with a healthy Luck versus a rookie QB just added to the roster.  He will change some position coaches and probably make Schottenheimer OC.  In all fairness he has a strong argument and I can see Irsay and Ballard giving him next year with his franchise QB.  Again I think he has to finish strong with a healthy Luck in order to stay. 

Are you freakin delusional? In no way will we be in playoffs, no way Chuck stays. He could talk Manning out of retirement and these guys would lose. Have to play a full game to do that. These guys still get full pay but play half of a game. Im going to only work half of my day see what happens. 

I simply don't think Gruden has any real interest. BSPN $ for one night a a week for 1/3 of the year? Who'd leave?

And I'm not convinced we should really want him. 

And Cowherd still sucks. What a lame take.

Not Jason Smith bad though..

https://mobile.twitter.com/howaboutafresca?p=s

"Colts should sit Luck all season. Tank. Trade him off-season to a team who still thinks he's elite. You'll get high 1st & more for him.."

39 minutes ago, J@son said:

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking, wouldn't really surprise me if that's what's going on. It wouldn't have been a good look for Gruden or the Colts if we'd hired him this year during this transitional period without Luck.

I tend to lean toward believing the Irsay courting Gruden at the very least. Kravitz saying it was one thing but JMV also said he knew the Colts were going hard after Gruden. No facts to be sure, but I think JMV's word is pretty legit.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think Chuck will stay if Luck comes back and gets us into the race.  He might not even have to make he playoffs.  If the team plays hard and improves he has the argument he can win with a healthy Luck versus a rookie QB just added to the roster.  He will change some position coaches and probably make Schottenheimer OC.  In all fairness he has a strong argument and I can see Irsay and Ballard giving him next year with his franchise QB.  Again I think he has to finish strong with a healthy Luck in order to stay. 

I think this is delusional. Pagano's been given a long leash. It's not working. He and his assistants are consistently out-coached. Change is going to happen whether or not Luck returns. Luck simply masks the bad coaching. Without him the emperor has no clothes. 

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I simply don't think Gruden has any real interest. BSPN $ for one night a a week for 1/3 of the year? Who'd leave?

And I'm not convinced we should really want him. 

And Cowherd still sucks. What a lame take.

Not Jason Smith bad though..

https://mobile.twitter.com/howaboutafresca?p=s

"Colts should sit Luck all season. Tank. Trade him off-season to a team who still thinks he's elite. You'll get high 1st & more for him.."

Was he drunk tweeting?

Honestly, I want a more offensive-minded coach this time around. This offense is in desperate need of innovation and creativity. The defense will be fine IMO once some more talent is added and a better DC is added.

49 minutes ago, a06cc said:

It’s not going to be Harbaugh. Luck didn’t like Harbaugh when he was at Stanford. If it was going to be anyone and Luck got the choice it would be David Shaw. I want Manning as the QB coach. And I’m going to say no to Griselda. The guy wasn’t handed a team that’s how he won a SB and didn’t do anything after that. He is way to hyped up just like Arians is on this forum. 

Don't think Peyton would take a QB coach job.

12 minutes ago, ND Irish said:

Also no way Harbaugh leaves UM. Dude has it made. Rubbing elbows with the Pope, 9 mil a year, will be running gassers on the Great Wall next spring. 

If he loses to Ohio State for a 3rd time in a row it might not be up to him. They didn't make him the highest paid coach in the NCAA to go 0-3 against the Buckeyes.

55 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I have had this conversation before and you like the other person previously always look at stats one sided.  What you are not saying is the SB he won was against the Raiders team he just built and left.  That is impressive.  

Also after winning the SB he coached for 6 more years at TB.  He did not have one bad year and then get fired.  You last sentence I have no clue what you are trying to say....

His first 5 season look exactly like Pagano’s. 

1 minute ago, Bluefire4 said:

It will either be Dave Toub or a SB winning coach. If it's Dave Toub, Ballard got his guy. If it's the other option, Irsay influenced the decision.

I don't believe for a second that Toub is "Ballard's guy".  I have no problem believing that Toub would be at the top of Ballard's list of guys to interview, but I do not believe that he's already pre-determined that Toub is his guy. 

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Belichick only had 1 winning season in his 4 years with Cleveland, which was his first head coaching tenure. Are you suggesting he wouldn't be an upgrade over Pagano?

At the end of the day I want what you want. What’s best for this team. Gruden didn’t even think highly of our first round pick of Malik Hooker. How has the pick worked out for this team?

If we get back to 8-8 again or 12-4 and blow everyone's mind I think Chuck stays if we don't have a losing record I say clean house on the coordinators make shotty OC Find a good DC I think that is an improvement in the coordinator department but nevertheless the coaching of this team is getting out of hand 

23 minutes ago, J@son said:

I don't believe for a second that Toub is "Ballard's guy".  I have no problem believing that Toub would be at the top of Ballard's list of guys to interview, but I do not believe that he's already pre-determined that Toub is his guy. 

I'm just going by the countless reports claiming this to be the case. In my opinion I think somebody like Jon Gruden being interested would be the only way Toub doesn't get the job honestly.

I'd be excited as heck if the Colts were able to hire Jon Gruden, Jim Harbaugh, or Sean Payton.

None of us truly know what interest, if any, Gruden or Harbaugh would have. They very well might not have any interest. I'm throwing Sean Payton out there too because I think there is a chance the Saints could part ways with him after this season though it is not likely.

Dave Toub is an interesting candidate. I think the notion that you need to be an offensive or defensive coordinator before a head coach is overblown. It's not like special team coaches don't know football. There are more important traits to look for, imo. How would they manage? Organize?

With that said I obviously have no idea of Toub has the desired traits for a head coach. I also would be a bit surprised to see Jim hire someone with no head coaching experience. He might not have much of a choice if he can't land Harbaugh or Gruden.

It will be interesting to see how January plays out. Jim better get the next head coaching hire right.

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I think this is delusional. Pagano's been given a long leash. It's not working. He and his assistants are consistently out-coached. Change is going to happen whether or not Luck returns. Luck simply masks the bad coaching. Without him the emperor has no clothes. 

Nothing delusional really.  Just take your time and read the entire post.  He is only retained if he finishes strong with Luck.  Pagano can than prove his argument with the results to back him up.  Pretty hard to argue with results.  It's all about winning.  BTW if we do hire a new coach it's extremely likely it's going to be Schottenheimer.   He isn't being brought up at all and I would think he's the frontrunner and most likely replacement.

5 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Kravitz said on JMV the other day that Irsay is going to once again go all in on Manning/Gruden once the season ends, and I don't take anything Kravitz says lightly considering he is about as well-sourced as it gets for an Indy media guy.

Makes some sense with Manning spending a lot of time learning this year by being around other teams. 

4 hours ago, azcolt said:

Chuck Pagano was a highly regarded assistant with no HC track record. Dave Toub. Same deal.

Not the same deal. Toub has been respected as a ST guru for years. Wood Chopper was pretty much a secondary coach.

I didn't read every single post, but I have not seen Sean Payton mentioned... is that deal dead?  I have mixed thoughts on it.  I suppose I could get used to it if things turned around quickly and I see good decisions, but NO has been .... meh good here and there so not sure its a good call.  Thoughts?

I like the Harbaugh project.  If he is willing I agree, cut the check and lets go!  He is quirky but I think he would make an immediate impact.  Big question is does he get along with Ballard or does Ballard have to go?  If so, I don't see Jim doing that deal.

I don't know anything about Taub other than what has been said here.  Feels risky to me.

I would be okay with Gruden.  JMV has some conviction about the possibility along with Bob Kravitz who reminds me of a stick in the mud but whatever, he does get it right now and then.

My top choices:

Peyton Manning(unrealistic entirely but it's a pure pipe dream)

Gruden- Unlikely yet again but it's not impossible 

Josh McDaniels- what he does with Brady could be special here. 

Anybody and everyone not named Pagano, Chud, Phibon(spelling?) or anyone else on or near the colts coaching staff currently

So after 4 straight 0-2 starts, countless blunders, torn labrums and lacerated kidneys, little to no game time adjustments, slow starts/finishes, no development of the players, defense ranked last in the league, avg like 40 sacks a year against our qbs, no discipline of the players no accountability, and just all around horrendous coaching for the past 4-5 years FINALLY were all starting to agree it’s time for pags and this staff to go? Cool. 

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think so, most teams have a short window to win it all anyway. I think he would do great here for at least 3 or 4 years. Look what he has done with the 49ers and now at Michigan, he can Coach at high levels. He is loved here in Indy and he Coached Andrew, Andrew loved him at Stanford.

Actually,  I don't think that's true.     Andrew did NOT love Harbaugh at Stanford.     I'd say he liked him.

He loved Harbaugh as a coach,   but not so much as a person.     Remember,  Harbaugh wares out his welcome everywhere he goes...   and he did at Stanford.      Harbaugh is a better coach than Shaw,   but Shaw is a better person.

Would Andrew like to have Harbaugh as his new HC?      I'd guess yes....   but he'd be cautioning his teammates to brace themselves for Harbaugh....    he's like a hurricane.       And in 4-5 years,  Harbs would likely be done here in Indy....     

That's just how he rolls...

By the way,  my info comes from parents of other Stanford players who played with Luck during the Harbaugh years.

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

At the end of the day I want what you want. What’s best for this team. Gruden didn’t even think highly of our first round pick of Malik Hooker. How has the pick worked out for this team?

Gruden spoke very highly of Hooker last night.

And he didn't like Hooker's tackling in college.     I think he loved the rest of his game.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If he loses to Ohio State for a 3rd time in a row it might not be up to him. They didn't make him the highest paid coach in the NCAA to go 0-3 against the Buckeyes.

I'm pretty sure the highest paid coach in college is Nick Saban.  

I'm sure Harbaugh is top-5,  just not the highest...