Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano's Post Titans Game News Conference

King Colt

Pagano said during his conference what is being said in this forum i.e., turnovers, 30 minutes of football, giving up big plays etc. So if he knows what the week spots are why do they persist? But then he said when asked about Mack's lack of playing time, "Yeah, we probably need to figure out a way to get him the ball more."  Probably? Figure out a way? Not the best response coach. If you know what is wrong and it continues to be wrong it's time to get someone who does know how to fix.

i thick chuck should go, but im not blaming this one on him

drops and fumbles from doyle killed us, thats not on the head coach

if mack cant get outside, then he gets tackled for a loss.  other teams know this, and will try to stop him from getting there

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

if mack cant get outside, then he gets tackled for a loss.  other teams know this, and will try to stop him from getting there

Drops and Fumbles are on the coach. Drops and Fumbles are a part of a coaching. If the coach puts a emphasis on not fumbling then it should not occur absent a helmet hitting the ball etc. Doyle should be coached to understand that we are winning and you just made a catch to keep the offense on the field so once you make the catch secure the ball over anything else. We do not have this mentality. Mack's first run for 22 was between the tackles. He will get tackled for a loss from time to time. That is not a reason to be benched.  

4 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Drops and Fumbles are on the coach. Drops and Fumbles are a part of a coaching. If the coach puts a emphasis on not fumbling then it should not occur absent a helmet hitting the ball etc. Doyle should be coached to understand that we are winning and you just made a catch to keep the offense on the field so once you make the catch secure the ball over anything else. We do not have this mentality. Mack's first run for 22 was between the tackles. He will get tackled for a loss from time to time. That is not a reason to be benched.  

Doyle can catch, last year he caught over 80% of all targets thrown his way. It's Doyle's fault on all the drops and fumbles. The coaching decision to keep Mack on the sideline and not run the ball practically at all in the 2nd half is the coaches fault 100%. They show game after game they aren't ready for this level of football. 

I see this thread turned into a Doyle bashing thread and granted it is well deserved but for the life of me I can't figure out why Pagano is still here as head coach. It is plain to just about any common sense individual that he is incapable of being a head coach, he is a great man and probably would be a great coordinator in some sense but just doesn't have what it takes to be a head coach. I'm getting physically sick from week to week watching the pathetic coaching decisions by him and the rest of his cronies.  When will it end???

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

I have an idea for Pagano. Have the ball snapped to the QB. Have the QB turn and give the ball to Mack. That is one way to get him the ball. A second way is to throw the ball to him in the flat.  Hopefully these suggestions help. 

So, just to be clear, you are thinking that Pagano should tell the quarterback to hand the ball to Mack after the center snaps it to him? That's a pretty radical idea. Is it really as simple as Pagano having the ability to just tell the players what to do?

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

Drops and Fumbles are on the coach. Drops and Fumbles are a part of a coaching.

When you have a player that is usually very consistent with ball security that suddenly has issues (especially one coming off an injury) that's not on the coaches.  There was plenty of blame on the coaching staff for last night's game, but Doyle's poor performance isn't one of them.  UNLESS they put him back in the lineup knowing he wasn't ready to go.

5 minutes ago, J@son said:

When you have a player that is usually very consistent with ball security that suddenly has issues (especially one coming off an injury) that's not on the coaches.  There was plenty of blame on the coaching staff for last night's game, but Doyle's poor performance isn't one of them.  UNLESS they put him back in the lineup knowing he wasn't ready to go.

The fumble was a good defensive play...Doyle caught the ball and turned to run up field.  His right arm was locked by the defender, so he couldn't cover up, and he was stripped with the other arm. 

2 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

I have an idea for Pagano. Have the ball snapped to the QB. Have the QB turn and give the ball to Mack. That is one way to get him the ball. A second way is to throw the ball to him in the flat.  Hopefully these suggestions help. 

Cracked me up with that one. Well played, sir!

3 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6RWJGX-Z0MPR9nd4J_c0

Tell me if this is in my imagination or not:  EVERY TIME there's a successful run, be it Gore going for 8-12 or Mack going for 22, they run the same play.  And it gets stuffed for either a loss or maybe a yard.

EVERY TIME!  So if I'm a D coordinator, that's a free play for me that I know is coming.  Thanks Chud for making my job easier Chud.

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

Pagano said during his conference what is being said in this forum i.e., turnovers, 30 minutes of football, giving up big plays etc. So if he knows what the week spots are why do they persist? But then he said when asked about Mack's lack of playing time, "Yeah, we probably need to figure out a way to get him the ball more."  Probably? Figure out a way? Not the best response coach. If you know what is wrong and it continues to be wrong it's time to get someone who does know how to fix.

This quote shows how inept he is as a head coach. 

5 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

You are blowing my mind with this crazy talk. No way would this ever work.:lol:

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Tell me if this is in my imagination or not:  EVERY TIME there's a successful run, be it Gore going for 8-12 or Mack going for 22, they run the same play.  And it gets stuffed for either a loss or maybe a yard.

EVERY TIME!  So if I'm a D coordinator, that's a free play for me that I know is coming.  Thanks Chud for making my job easier Chud.

The thing that gets my goat is they will run the same run plays and almost never run the play action off of it.   That would actually help the effectiveness of those runs even more.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

It's not your imagination. In the case of Mack, they have run that HB counter (or whatever it is) several times that past two games (had a lot of success with it last week). They ran it twice in the first series...with the second going for a loss...and they never ran it again (or any run play with Mack).

Their misuse of Mack is baffling. It's like they are trolling the fanbase by refusing to give him the ball. And Chud iss just a terrible OC for developing/utilizing RBs. The only good run game he has had was his first year in CAR, when they had Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart and Cam running the zone read. But even that only lasted one year. 

If Turbin is hurt...I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of Matt Jones inexplicably catching passes.

5 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Drops and fumbles are not on the coach???:facepalm: This isn't our players first rodeo!! Mack didn't get more touches because the Colts offense was horrible in the second half, which limited opportunities for him to play. Tenn blitzed FREELY AND OFTEN in the second half, Gore and Turbin are better in that situation, thats why Macks workload was less in the second half. Briskett needed to be more accurate on his throws in the 2nd half, he wasn't end of story! 

21 minutes ago, krunk said:

The thing that gets my goat is they will run the same run plays and almost never run the play action off of it.   That would actually help the effectiveness of those runs even more.

I'm sitting there yelling the same thing at my TV like some *. 

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm sitting there yelling the same thing at my TV like some *. 

I really don't get what the heck goes through Chuds mind.    I thought the first half was awesome.  Honestly we should have been up by more points but that was really my only gripe.   Chud made some beautiful play calls.    And then the second half they decide to put the game in Brissets hands for some dumb reason.  Then they cap the stupidity off by not involving Mack barely at all.  I just knew in the second half we were going to run Mack down their throats as a change of pace.   NOOO  they abandoned the run and the few times they attempted to they thought it was better to just keep pounding Gore into run blitzes all day.      It was just Bizaare!

6 hours ago, aaron11 said:

Not necessarily the huge scramble he had last night was right up the middle.  Then the staff decided him to run once after that.  He can run up the middle but yeah he does get stuffed.  He's young and out thinks himself, hopefully that will change.  He needs to improve on catching more than anything.  

4 hours ago, J@son said:

I think Doyle's recent concussion had something to do with his 

poor performance last night. He is usually a reliable TE with ball 

security.

After watching the presser Chuck looked frustrated. Chuck cant go out there and execute for these guys. Alot of fans take the HUMAN factor out of this game we call football. We all have a bad day for WHATEVER REASON. But Chuck looked as if he sincerely is sick and tired of saying the same things and I think he even mentioned something of that sort.

What if Chuck thinks Chud should go but is told stick it out, just go out there and run through the progressions and see if we cant get lucky and win a few this year, Play these guys so we can evaluate them to see what we are really working with, Theres lots of things we dont know except we are still a half away from playing a full game still. 

11 hours ago, aaron11 said:

I long for the days when a guy named Marshall Faulk got stopped for a few short losses every game....

7 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Drops and fumbles are not on the coach???:facepalm: This isn't our players first rodeo!! Mack didn't get more touches because the Colts offense was horrible in the second half, which limited opportunities for him to play. Tenn blitzed FREELY AND OFTEN in the second half, Gore and Turbin are better in that situation, thats why Macks workload was less in the second half. Briskett needed to be more accurate on his throws in the 2nd half, he wasn't end of story! 

Drops and fumbles are certainly on the coaches. They create an attitude that leads to or prevents drops and fumbles. If you fumble the ball (absent a good reason, ie. Helmet on the ball) then you do not play. Same with a drop. Both are caused by a lack of concentration and understanding of the game situation.  We do not have this attitude as a team. Lets see you are blitzing you LBers leaving the flanks unguarded. A screen pass to you most dynamic player would put and end to that or simply a pass to the flat or put him out wide and go with a quick slant. On the other hand if you blitz and Mack breaks through the line he is gone. Because TN Is blitzing we put in our Old slow players. NO.

18 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

Most importantly,  send Mack on the turf more.

The most frustrating part for me was when the Titans blitzed continually and we seemed to do nothing to try and work it to our advantage.  Lets do some short check downs or screens and use the fact they have so many men at the line, or even try and bounce Mack outside.  We just let them run us over again and again and left the ball in JB's hands.

They continue to allude to Mack's lack of skill on protection, but, when you have a talent like that, just get him the ball early and no need for him to think about the protection, that can come as he grows his knowledge.

As @krunk said, the first half was a thing of beauty, a real mix of play calling to keep the Titans on their toes.  Its almost like a new playcaller took over for the second half. :Gaah:

16 hours ago, krunk said:

I really don't get what the heck goes through Chuds mind.    I thought the first half was awesome.  Honestly we should have been up by more points but that was really my only gripe.   Chud made some beautiful play calls.    And then the second half they decide to put the game in Brissets hands for some dumb reason.  Then they cap the stupidity off by not involving Mack barely at all.  I just knew in the second half we were going to run Mack down their throats as a change of pace.   NOOO  they abandoned the run and the few times they attempted to they thought it was better to just keep pounding Gore into run blitzes all day.      It was just Bizaare!

I don’t think it bizarre, but rather, sadly, it seems to be the norm.  Okay, I will grant you that it is a bizarre norm.

I truly believe Chud has to go.  

Pagano has no clue ehat he's doing.

He only knows the problems when the interviewers ask him about them specifically. Then, he doesn't know how to fix them. 

He can only coach half a game. 

None of these things are new. 

The issue is the same as it ever was.

On 10/17/2017 at 9:32 PM, JMichael557 said:

Drops and fumbles are certainly on the coaches. They create an attitude that leads to or prevents drops and fumbles. If you fumble the ball (absent a good reason, ie. Helmet on the ball) then you do not play. Same with a drop. Both are caused by a lack of concentration and understanding of the game situation.  We do not have this attitude as a team. Lets see you are blitzing you LBers leaving the flanks unguarded. A screen pass to you most dynamic player would put and end to that or simply a pass to the flat or put him out wide and go with a quick slant. On the other hand if you blitz and Mack breaks through the line he is gone. Because TN Is blitzing we put in our Old slow players. NO.

If you think the coaches don't work on this stuff your high!