Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post game thoughts? Most consistent group? What needs to change?

ColtsBlitz

In my opinion, the most consistent, good group of guys we have is the defensive line. Week after week they get QB pressures and run stops all game, not usually seen in the second half because of poor secondary coverage and terrible angles and tackling by the linebackers. The only linebackers I'm comfortable with is Simon and Sheard. Simon is a plain animal, the pick six, and the drive after that he got triple teamed and still got a QB hit. Al Woods has also been a force, grading out above 80 on PFF week after week. Hankins had a good game yesterday with 2 solo run stops (91.0 grade against the run) and 2 QB hits. PFF also said Hankins constantly made running backs change gaps because of his presence. 

Offensive line? I can tell you right now if I was a defensive coordinator, I would blitz every play against us. Our line can't pick up a blitz with a crap and Brissett is young with a poor offensive coordinator. I don't know what took Lebeau so long to blitz, but when he did, he figured it out. 

Anthony Castanzo needs to be kept along with Ryan Kelly. Those two are the locks on the line. Castanzo played well yesterday against Orakpo and Walden. 

After 6 games, the things we can tell now is we need a better linebackers and offensive linemen. Drafting one of those two first round (whatever has the better available) could set us up for more consistency on whatever side of the ball. 

Olbs - Good 

Dline- Good

Ilb- horrible every run play if the Dline doesn't make the tackle the safeties (Farley Hooker) have to make the tackle because Bostic can't tackle and Morrison gets washed away by the blocker ALL the time 

Corners- suck because they're being forced to play Zone Coverage when we drafted Press Corners and have all prss corners with the exception of Melvin which is why he's the only corner ballin out in Zone

Ss- Farley is usually good but this game he took the most horrifying angles trying to tackle 

Fs- hooker was playing a good game until that zone coverage breakdown in the secondary..when he was matched up in man coverage with walker he denied him a touchdown

the way ted wants this defence to play is  for them to wait for the play to come to them nothing is contested at the line every one gets a free release  we are not playing physical..Davis is our Shutdown Corner in Man Coverage why is it that's he's 5-10 yards off almost 95% of the time never pressing his man..why the hell is sheard ever dropping back or being forced to cover an Rb? Why are Morrison and Bostic in  the game when they have a bunch of WR split out wide ? Just makes No sense 

1 hour ago, will426 said:

Fs- hooker was playing a good game until that zone coverage breakdown in the secondary..when he was matched up in man coverage with walker he denied him a touchdown

I'm pretty sure they were in cover 3, so it was Desirs mistake. Hooker was * about it too, getting on him about it. If they were in cover 1 or cover 2 man like they should be, it would've been on Hooker. He did do well against Walker though. 

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I'm pretty sure they were in cover 3, so it was Desirs mistake. Hooker was * about it too, getting on him about it. If they were in cover 1 or cover 2 man like they should be, it would've been on Hooker. He did do well against Walker though. 

Yeah I wasn't putting the blame on him pretty much stating the fact that when we play zone we tend to breakdown in coverage badly they need to use hooker how the pats use Dm and bracket the opposing Wr from high and low

22 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

I'll wait until Stampede Blue post the play  but I don't think that was Cover 3.

I think it was a 2 deep zone. Hooker turned to play something in the middle for whatever the reason and the receiver cut in the opposite direction leaving Hooker exposed.   I think Hooker blew that coverage.  

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I'll wait until Stampede Blue post the play  but I don't think that was Cover 3.

I think it was a 2 deep zone. Hooker turned to play something in the middle for whatever the reason and the receiver cut in the opposite direction leaving Hooker exposed.   I think Hooker blew that coverage.  

Regardless I don't think any player should be in zone other than the safeties everyone else needs to be in thier recievers face..it's like he's trying to force us to be like Seattle  where you can play like that 

Completely agree about the D Line, Simon, and Sheard.  Melvin, Hairston, Wilson, Hooker, and Farley have played well.  Ilb is an issue and we knew that going into the season.  Vontae is rusty as well...

On Offense Mack looks like a find...other than that the rest has been underwhelming due to injuries and a QB that has been with the team for a month.

Sanchez looks promising and Vin is Vin.

3 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Completely agree about the D Line, Simon, and Sheard.  Melvin, Hairston, Wilson, Hooker, and Farley have played well.  Ilb is an issue and we knew that going into the season.  Vontae is rusty as well...

On Offense Mack looks like a find...other than that the rest has been underwhelming due to injuries and a QB that has been with the team for a month.

Sanchez looks promising and Vin is Vin.

I've noticed Davis is getting a lot of "rusty" comments but it's not his fault he's being put in Zone he's a press man to man corner he's never been the fastest guy and has always struggled in zone I would love to see some sort of percentage of how often our corners are in ZoneVsMan

16 minutes ago, will426 said:

Regardless I don't think any player should be in zone other than the safeties everyone else needs to be in thier recievers face..it's like he's trying to force us to be like Seattle  where you can play like that 

Any idea why the coaches put Desir in for Melvin, and not Quincy?  Was he unavailable last night?

39 minutes ago, will426 said:

I've noticed Davis is getting a lot of "rusty" comments but it's not his fault he's being put in Zone he's a press man to man corner he's never been the fastest guy and has always struggled in zone I would love to see some sort of percentage of how often our corners are in ZoneVsMan

Your point is not missed by myself.  He should be pressing but is capable of being effective in zone dedense....just would rather see him back to his old self, if possible?  That would be interesting to see the zone versus man break down.  

41 minutes ago, will426 said:

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1795161-how-the-indianapolis-colts-re-invented-their-secondary-for-the-2013-season.amp.html

this right here is how manusky used to play with our corners..now explain how or why Ted continues to force us into playing zone with better talent 

Possibly to protect Melvin?  I prefer man coverage as both Davis and Wilson play that style best.

27 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Your point is not missed by myself.  He should be pressing but is capable of being effective in zone dedense....just would rather see him back to his old self, if possible?  That would be interesting to see the zone versus man break down.  

I'm not sure about him in zone..he's always looked about slow to react when reading the qb while in zone..but I would agree that they should at least have him press while in zone rather than a free release 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Desir was supposed to go with wr and hooker played to far up

I think we are capable of playing man or zone.   However I think we need to play more man than zone until we can execute these zones correctly.   We keep on busting the coverages.  Needs to be simplified even more to where we are only playing so many zone coverages.  Just a few of them so that guys can execute them properly.   In either case the pass rush needs to get home more often.   The other issue to me is if you're wanting to play more man your ILBs need to be able to cover somebody.   And the guys we have well...............

"Post game thoughts? Most consistent group? What needs to change?"

I don't want to start a conversation about a coaching change and I am against it during the season... even coordinators.

But.......

Most consistent group:    The incompetent coaching staff.  Same old issues.

What needs to change?:  All coaches not named Vince.  

Our defense played well enough to win (despite the stupid zone coverage and Tampa 2 crap).  Our offense scored enough first half points to win, but all the three and out series put our defense at a disadvantage and frankly gassed them.  There were some bad plays sure but we still played well enough to win.  And Tennessee was just begging to lose this one.

Why the hell were we not blitzing a demobilized QB?  Why, again, is it so hard to come out after half with something other than some sort of a plan of playing not to lose instead of playing to win.  

I think our game plans are pretty predictable and our in game and halftime adjustments are ineffective (if there are in fact adjustments, its hard to tell).

In short, our coaches are horrible at putting our playmakers in position to make plays.  They pretty much suck at exploiting opposition weaknesses and our team has to overcome their mistakes and what is worse is they have to overcome coaching schemes and decisions.  And that is every stinking game. 

This team is better than its record.  A competent staff might have lost one of the games this year if any. 

As far as the players.... no heart of a champion type attitude and too many stupid mistakes as in drops, penalties and missed assignments.

SMH

I heard Monachino say yesterday that when they play zone, they need more pressure on the QB.  I feel like when they blitz they can do well, but then they play soft coverage and just get thrashed and the DL can't penetrate.  There were several occasions where Mariota had an eternity of just sitting in the pocket.  

28 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

I heard Monachino say yesterday that when they play zone, they need more pressure on the QB.  I feel like when they blitz they can do well, but then they play soft coverage and just get thrashed and the DL can't penetrate.  There were several occasions where Mariota had an eternity of just sitting in the pocket.  

The thing is we play zone all the time so if he knows that we aren't getting enough pressure  why force it especially without blitzing l..I'm just so fed up with this zone concept if anything we need some zone blocking schemes on the offensive line 

this was by far one of the worst outings I have ever seen from the Colts in the 30+ years I have been a fan. We have been out coached in most games this season, The o-line is like Swiss cheese, the defense cant stop anyone including popwarner kids. I think Mr Ballard made a huge mistake by not getting his own coach and here you go another season wasted. Pagano has been horrible the last 3 years, Joe Philben, terrible line coach and failed head coach, Chudinzki, terrible OC, coming in with the Cleveland playbook, setting up our QB to fail with 7 - 10 step drops. The defense needs to go back to the 4-3. 3-4 only seems to work if you are Dick Laboe. The Coaching staff needs to be shown the front door ASAP. How about the Andrew Fiasco, will he play will he not play, this was a gimick to sell tickets. Im very disappointed in my team. I cant believe im actually rooting for them to lose so coach gets fired and we get some better picks. I would even start looking for a new QB to go with Marlon MAck, maybe we can get the triplets of old back..

Tough to find a positive on this team.   It sucks to be the laughing stock of the league.   Hearing the Colts be the punchline more than the Browns or 49rs.  They deserve it too.  

I'll go with the "D" line.   They are better than years past.