Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are the commercials during NFL games really bad this year, or is it me?

buffalo34

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I need to vent.

Normally, every season you get accustomed to the set of commercials that air during football games. Usually they're not that great, but this year I think they've been awful.

The ones that I can't stand are that obnoxious "Ice cold Bud Light here". Yeah, that one got annoying after the first two or three times. The other one is that Verizon commercial where OBJ is at a press conference and one guy is having trouble recording it, so the Verizon rep steps in saying "technical foul". After OBJ tells him it's the wrong sport, he shoots back with "wrong network." Seems like a guy you'd hate the second you meet him the way he comes off. Ugh.

There's also that Nissan commercial I think, where the guy apparently leaves work in the middle of the day to pick up a girl and go on a date, seemingly  going on a road rage while at it (picking up items like a video game). What was his girlfriend doing with those bikers anyway?

Honorable mentions:

The NFL Shop commercial, where the family of Jets fans are watching a game and the kid gets his OBJ jersey in the mail. You know, if they're watching football, especially the Jets, it's probably Sunday afternoon, and there wouldn't be mail delivery. Plus, since the kid ordered online, he would've needed someone's credit card. Wouldn't an adult in the house notice he's ordering a Giants jersey in a family full of Jets fans, when lending him a credit card to use?

The ones that always annoy me are those NFL Ticket Exchange "100% authentic tickets" commercials. Gee, you're ordering tickets off of a site owned by the NFL, I sure hope the tickets are legit. That's like walking into an Apple Store and hoping to get a 100% authentic iPhone.

There, done ranting.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:56 PM, buffalo34 said:

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I need to vent.

Normally, every season you get accustomed to the set of commercials that air during football games. Usually they're not that great, but this year I think they've been awful.

The ones that I can't stand are that obnoxious "Ice cold Bud Light here". Yeah, that one got annoying after the first two or three times. The other one is that Verizon commercial where OBJ is at a press conference and one guy is having trouble recording it, so the Verizon rep steps in saying "technical foul". After OBJ tells him it's the wrong sport, he shoots back with "wrong network." Seems like a guy you'd hate the second you meet him the way he comes off. Ugh.

There's also that Nissan commercial I think, where the guy apparently leaves work in the middle of the day to pick up a girl and go on a date, seemingly  going on a road rage while at it (picking up items like a video game). What was his girlfriend doing with those bikers anyway?

Honorable mentions:

The NFL Shop commercial, where the family of Jets fans are watching a game and the kid gets his OBJ jersey in the mail. You know, if they're watching football, especially the Jets, it's probably Sunday afternoon, and there wouldn't be mail delivery. Plus, since the kid ordered online, he would've needed someone's credit card. Wouldn't an adult in the house notice he's ordering a Giants jersey in a family full of Jets fans, when lending him a credit card to use?

The ones that always annoy me are those NFL Ticket Exchange "100% authentic tickets" commercials. Gee, you're ordering tickets off of a site owned by the NFL, I sure hope the tickets are legit. That's like walking into an Apple Store and hoping to get a 100% authentic iPhone.

There, done ranting.

Only commercials that spark my interest and get me to pay attention, are the hosting network commercials. Because that lets me know the game will be back on in about 15 seconds.

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Arby's is so good they don't need a commercial!

Yep...I also like the ones on the outdoorsman network...with the deer in the woods...funny...and the one that about their sliders that says something like...if the other guy is charging $1 for a regular sandwich...then there is something wrong with that sandwich! lol :lol:.....my favorite! Not a huge fast food place but dang there are times I just have to go...so many good sandwiches, from their buffalo sliders to beef n cheeders to French dip to market fresh they have it all.

Respectfully,   it's you.

The networks only want the best commercials on their major events,  and an NFL game is a major event.    Now, maybe you're bothered by the local spots that advertisers use....     they don't have the money to make a great commercial.       So,  that's possible.      But there's nothing different this year.     That's always been the caase.

What IS different this year is that the team is struggling.     And typically fans find things to complain aobut when their favorite team is doing badly.     That's the nature of fandom.     But when times are good and the team is winning,  fans do much, MUCH less complaining.

30 years in TV and Radio have taught me those lessons well.

Once the Colts get back to being a good team again,  you won't notice the commercials that bother you nearly as much....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Respectfully,   it's you.

The networks only want the best commercials on their major events,  and an NFL game is a major event.    Now, maybe you're bothered by the local spots that advertisers use....     they don't have the money to make a great commercial.       So,  that's possible.      But there's nothing different this year.     That's always been the caase.

What IS different this year is that the team is struggling.     And typically fans find things to complain aobut when their favorite team is doing badly.     That's the nature of fandom.     But when times are good and the team is winning,  fans do much, MUCH less complaining.

30 years in TV and Radio have taught me those lessons well.

Once the Colts get back to being a good team again,  you won't notice the commercials that bother you nearly as much....

... They're a Bills fan... So I doubt they're too worried about the current state of affairs with our organization... :thmup:

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

... They're a Bills fan... So I doubt they're too worried about the current state of affairs with our organization... :thmup:

I feel bad for Buffalo34 because I like him and he should have a Ring as a fan. The 90 Bills were better than the Giants, their FG kicker just blew it and Jim Kelly was Great. He also is funny when the Pats play, his commentary is priceless.