Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mewhort to IR, Colts sign G Isaiah Williams

Everyone

Ugh...Our whole offensive line short of Kelly and possibly Constanzo will need some major attention and reworking by Ballard during this upcoming off-season.  Irsay and the Colts front office told us the line was fixed and many fans hoped that it was given the slight improvement shown at the end of last season.  Well...It's not.  We need to make some key veteran free agent signings in addition to allocating draft picks to address this area.  If we can't protect Luck when he returns to the saddle...we are not going to get anywhere.

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Mewhort's knees are a chondral defect, never going to get better long term.....  and there are 22 UFA OT's and 34 UFA OG's next season......  plenty of options not taking the draft into account to upgrade the OL in 2018.....

Unfortunately,  the Free Agent class of tackles is.....   very, very disappointing.     We have money to spend,  and no one to buy.

Here's a list of Left AND Right tackles to consider.      Now,  this is the list for right now.    I'm sure a few more will be added this coming winter.     But those guys all have issues.    The good ones get locked up by their teams.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/tackle/

The FA class of guards is better.....    but I would say it's roughly a grade of "C"....     One good guy and that's Justin Pugh and he's got very, very short arms.     Not everyone will love him.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/guard/

Sucks for us....    Ballard and his assistants are going to have to scout their rear ends off this off-sesaon.     Looking for diamonds in the rough.....   it's going to be like finding a needle in the haystack.

We will likely use one of our higher picks on an OL,   but everyone will want to draft a lineman this coming year.      Because almost no one got better on the line last year and the FA class coming up is lackluster at best for right now....

3 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Mewhort's knees are a chondral defect, never going to get better long term.....  and there are 22 UFA OT's and 34 UFA OG's next season......  plenty of options not taking the draft into account to upgrade the OL in 2018.....

I wonder if he retires rather than seek remedy in the form of Autograft, or Allograft (if necessary), or CARTICEL (ACI), etc.. (I'm hearing less and less about Microfracture intervention) instead?

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

Wow. His knees are that bad?

Loss of articulating cartilage in the knee is a big deal, yes. Growing/repairing/Replacing articulating cartilage is like the Holy Grail of treatment/restoration.

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I wonder if he retires rather than seek remedy in the form of Autograft, or Allograft (if necessary), or CARTICEL (ACI), etc.. (I'm hearing less and less about Microfracture intervention) instead?

Loss of articulating cartilage in the knee is a big deal, yes. Growing/repairing/Replacing articulating cartilage is like the Holy Grail of treatment/restoration.

Sounds you have been through this

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Like they say...  NFL stands for Not For Long...  I’ve dealt with leg injuries too. Torn Achilles, Lis Franc, & a broken ankle.  They are the worst and they definitely affect your quality of life going forward. 

8 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

My Dad has no cartilage or knee cap in one knee from a college knee injury

My youngest is 6'9"/ 350, and needs a knee replaced since a high school football injury. He's 28 now, grinds away every day, literally.

6 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard may have to look for a trade or 2 next season.  He has proven he will do that.

Too bad we have no one really worth anything. Only players anyone would be interested in are Luck, Hilton, and Doyle. None of them are going to be traded though obviously. It's a shame because we need a new LT, LG, RG, and RT. Good, Haeg, Clarke, and Vujnovich are not the answers. They're backups at best.

10 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not myself... personally.  Howerver, I went to work in the medical field in 1981, and been in it ever since in many different capacities throughout the years....

Would it help player longevity in respect to leg injuries  if they didn't start playing contact football until high school?

1 hour ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

Does anyone remember we lost Ben Ijalana a few years back in consecutive years with torn knees.  He recovered and is now playing with the Jets at Left Tackle.  Does anyone know if this is the same issue that Jack is having with his knees.

He tore his ACL in 2011 and tore it again in 2012 training camp.

Not sure it was the same knee. If it was, that meant he at least had one good leg. 

Obviously, they need to focus on Oline in FA and draft (still think a pass rusher should be considered for round one), but for this year, I’m hoping Clark can get back to the way he was playing at least till Good comes back.

Clark,Good and Haeg along with the new FAs we picked up may be able to fill three spots.

If the Oline play doesn’t improve (even with loosing a hobbled Mewhort) it’s going to be a long season. If however they do improve, the Colts can win this division.

If we could get Quenton Nelson in 1st and someone like Hernandez in 2nd to fill guard spots, I would feel pretty good about the outlook of our interior 3.  Good and Costanzo at tackle spots.  Just have to get Luck safely through current year.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Try Redmond at guard! 

He did admirable for being thrust into the C role in the Seahawks game! 

Redmond is not on the team currently.  Kalis is starting and Williams (newly aquired) is the back-up.  Mike Person is the back-up C with Bond out.

3 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Redmond is not on the team currently.  Kalis is starting and Williams (newly aquired) is the back-up.  Mike Person is the back-up C with Bond out.

After a rough start, I thought Redmond acquitted himself pretty well.  Was surprised he was cut almost immediately.