Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't think we are too far off

CR91

While I am not saying this season is lost, I still think this team has a lot of work to do before we can get back to level of play we once were, but I also dont think we are in for a long rebuilding phase. I'm going to list a few things Ive really seen improvement in and why we have a bright future.

1. Run defense- While we are middle of the pack, that is a major improvement compare to the last few years when we were around last in the league and I think the major improvement comes from getting more size with guys like hankins, Stewart, woods, and hunt along with more physically on the edge with shread and simon and improve play of morrison in the middle.

2.Creating pressure and turnovers- The defense is attacking the ball a lot more so far this season and you are seeing a number of turnovers because of it, but I also notice how much more pressure we are putting in the pocket. We are not constantly finishing which has been a concern for years now, but we are generating pressure.

3.Rookie Class- This is the best rookie class we've had since 2012. Hooker and Wilson are going through their rookie lumps, but you see flashes of great potential and I believe we could see a great tandem between them. Mack is looking more and more like our feature back next year once gore is gone and he will get workload combining that with a healthy luck making our offense that more dynamic. Hairston can arguably be our best draft pick with how well he has been able to play in the slot. 

4.Healthy Luck-While it has been a somewhat grueling time watching the offense without luck, I do believe this to be the best course of action for the team's future and it will allow Luck to finally be able to play without any limitations and fear of hurting his shoulder even more. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At present, I see us being a 7-9 team, missing the playoffs this year.  Just too much overhaul from last year and I don't think Luck comes back at "peak Luck" which means he can't win us games off his own back.  This division is a much tougher prospect this year and wouldn't expect us to do better than .500.

That being said, another year with Ballard at the helm of the draft and free agency, with priorities being O-line and perhaps an every down back if Gore goes, as well as a fully healthy Luck who will have a full pre-season under his belt, then I think we will be in a great position to make a push next year, under a new coach.

Focus on LB and OL in draft and off-season.  That alone should get this team real close to where we want it.

Also look at  WR, RB, safety  , BPA (always) to continue to build dept. Gores age, decision to be made on moncrief, and  davis, etc could make a wr attractive (for $ value) in draft.  I'm not comfortable giving moncrief big $ right now.

Andcontinue to build depth OVERALL to improve total roster.  We have to build so we have young guys teady to take over when starter contracts get bigger. Build thru the draft.  Ballard seems  to be getting us back on that track to build depth.

but at minimum, improve LBs (a stud MLB would be ideal) and OL and we're a solid team on paper, imo. 

Hopefully add a no-nonsense, disciplinarian who is well organized and calm under pressure at head coach.

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

At present, I see us being a 7-9 team, missing the playoffs this year.  Just too much overhaul from last year and I don't think Luck comes back at "peak Luck" which means he can't win us games off his own back.  This division is a much tougher prospect this year and wouldn't expect us to do better than .500.

Our playoff chances bank on how well Luck plays once he returns imo. We play tough defenses this year and struggling offenses with them. 

23 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

Our playoff chances bank on how well Luck plays once he returns imo. We play tough defenses this year and struggling offenses with them. 

I actually think our playoff chances rest on how much Bortles will hurt his team.  If Marrone continues to remove Bortles from the equation and can just run and play D, I don't see us making the playoffs.

50 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

The Oline play is critical. The secondary could be strong with everybody healthy, which will help the pass rush.

If Geathers gets back, maybe he can slide into that dime linebacker slot.

Getting injured players back and getting some continuity among our best players gives the Colts a shot at the Division.

4 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

That being said, another year with Ballard at the helm of the draft and free agency, with priorities being O-line and perhaps an every down back if Gore goes, as well as a fully healthy Luck who will have a full pre-season under his belt, then I think we will be in a great position to make a push next year, under a new coach.

I see us at 11-5 and superbowl contenders. Rogers comes back this week. Then geathers swoope and luck. This team will peak at right time.

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

So what are you guys saying if we win the next two games?   I believe it's definitely possible.   We'll be in very good position.      Don't put it out of your minds because it can happen.  

We need to win 2 of the next 3. I could see us winning all three with the jags being most dangerous due to their nasty defense

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

We to win 2 of the next 3. I could see us winning all three with the jags being most dangerous due to their nasty defense

I could see us winning all 3 as well.    We got to dig in to make it happen but it's not a gargantuan task.   Jags game may be the hardest, but hey if the Jets beat them then I certainly am not going to look at us like chopped liver.   Just got to eliminate the turnovers.    That's the main key.  I like the fact that we play that game at Lucas Oil.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I could see us winning all 3 as well.    We got to dig in to make it happen but it's not a gargantuan task.   Jags game may be the hardest, but hey if the Jets beat them then I certainly am not going to look at us like chopped liver.   Just got to eliminate the turnovers.    That's the main key.  I like the fact that we play that game at Lucas Oil.

Cant turnover football against team with good defense. Otherwise you get blown out. See the seahawks game. With that being said I not sure how well we match up versus titans as they are an inconsistent team.

Monday night will tell us a lot.  Over on the Titans board they have an article on ranking the teams in the AFC South.  Consensus is the Colts are last, which is fair.  But they think we stink.

If we prove them wrong at their place, we’re in the hunt.   Jags probably have the best team, talent wise, worst QB.  Texans have taken some hits on D but Watson looks like the real deal.  Titans are Jekyl/Hyde.  

Lets face it, we beat the two worst teams in the league, barely.  Lost in OT to another bad team, and got rolled by a couple good ones.   Lots to prove here on out.  

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Cant turnover football against team with good defense. Otherwise you get blown out. See the seahawks game. With that being said I not sure how well we match up versus titans as they are an inconsistent team.

I think they are the same team they were last year.    There's nothing really different. Not too many burners at WR,  you know they want to pound the football and they are bad in the secondary.   Probably not too elite against the run either.      Same team from last year in my opinion.  

I don't think we'll have much problem against Murray and Derrick Johnson.   We stopped them last year and our defense was terrible.    I believe we will be fine.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Monday night will tell us a lot.  Over on the Titans board they have an article on ranking the teams in the AFC South.  Consensus is the Colts are last, which is fair.  But they think we stink.

If we prove them wrong at their place, we’re in the hunt.   Jags probably have the best team, talent wise, worst QB.  Texans have taken some hits on D but Watson looks like the real deal.  Titans are Jekyl/Hyde.  

Lets face it, we beat the two worst teams in the league, barely.  Lost in OT to another bad team, and got rolled by a couple good ones.   Lots to prove here on out.  

You're probably talking about an article off their website.  But if you look at what the fans are actually saying in the message boards they don't talk real confident about the game. Get what you're saying though.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

C'mon man!  We literally have the WORST defense in the NFL and we are playing with a backup QB.  The two teams we've beat are a combined 0-10.  We lost to a 2-3 Cardinals team (who's 2nd win was those 0-5 49ers) and our other 2 loses have been by a combined 60+ points.  Please live in reality.  This team has a long way to go.  Saying we'll go 11-5 or win the next three is lunacy.  Let's just hope we get better every week.

2 minutes ago, tikyle said:

C'mon man!  We literally have the WORST defense in the NFL and we are playing with a backup QB.  The two teams we've beat are a combined 0-10.  We lost to a 2-3 Cardinals team (who's 2nd win was those 0-5 49ers) and our other 2 loses have been by a combined 60+ points.  Please live in reality.  This team has a long way to go.  Saying we'll go 11-5 or win the next three is lunacy.  Let's just hope we get better every week.

It's Lunacy to say we can beat that Titans,  The Jags and The Bengals.?   Why so?  And give me something other than your normal doom and gloom theories.

Start off by telling me why we couldn't beat the Titans?   That's going to be a good one because you really don't have good reason.

14 minutes ago, tikyle said:

You're very theatrical I see. We don't have the worst defense in the leauge.   The defense is what has kept us in every contest we've played other than the Rams game.   And that game was most certainly due to the offense and the turnovers.  Offensive turnovers also played a big role against Seattle as well.   The defense kept us in that game.

Best I can say is we've had problems mostly in the 4th quarter of games closing them out.   The secondary has been an issue, but I expect we'll get better. 

13 minutes ago, tikyle said:

We LITERALLY do not have the worst D.  NE Pats do!  Not sure if you are a Colts fan or someone who likes to start random arguments.  Cardinals game was with a QB who knew little about our offense altogether, plus is a 2nd year guy with limited snaps period!  Please live in your own reality!

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's Lunacy to say we can beat that Titans,  The Jags and The Bengals.?   Why so?  And give me something other than your normal doom and gloom theories.

Start off by telling me why we couldn't beat the Titans?   That's going to be a good one because you really don't have good reason.

Why so?

Let's start with we have the 32nd (31st ranked I was corrected by @DaColts85) ranked defense.  The 32nd ranked scoring defense.  We are -1 in the TO battle.  We are starting backup QBs who have thrown for 2 TDs in five games.  In those same five games we have given up 8 passing TDs.  We have rushed for 8 TD while only giving up 6 rushing TDs.  The two games we have won were vs winless teams.  And in those games we won by a FG, giving up huge leads and won at the end of the game or OT.  Do you need anymore information.  I don't do theories, I do facts.  Are the Titans winless? 

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

We LITERALLY do not have the worst D.  NE Pats do!  Not sure if you are a Colts fan or someone who likes to start random arguments.  Cardinals game was with a QB who knew little about our offense altogether, plus is a 2nd year guy with limited snaps period!  Please live in your own reality!

Excuse me.  31st ranked D and worst ranked scoring D.  Point taken.  I am a Colts fan but you guys are acting like the Colts have played good ball but had some bad breaks.  This team is literally a work in progress that is in total rebuild mode (outside of the QB position).

Just now, tikyle said:

Why so?

Let's start with we have the 32nd ranked defense.  The 32nd ranked scoring defense.  We are -1 in the TO battle.  We are starting backup QBs who have thrown for 2 TDs in five games.  In those same five games we have given up 8 passing TDs.  We have rushed for 8 TD while only giving up 6 rushing TDs.  The two games we have won were vs winless teams.  And in those games we won by a FG, giving up huge leads and won at the end of the game or OT.  Do you need anymore information.  I don't do theories, I do facts.  Are the Titans winless? 

So because you beat two winless teams means that you can't beat anyone else?   Should I honestly believe that?     That's basically what you're trying to build this around?

6 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Why so?

Let's start with we have the 32nd ranked defense.  The 32nd ranked scoring defense.  We are -1 in the TO battle.  We are starting backup QBs who have thrown for 2 TDs in five games.  In those same five games we have given up 8 passing TDs.  We have rushed for 8 TD while only giving up 6 rushing TDs.  The two games we have won were vs winless teams.  And in those games we won by a FG, giving up huge leads and won at the end of the game or OT.  Do you need anymore information.  I don't do theories, I do facts.  Are the Titans winless? 

Yeah but you're certainly spouting off a bunch of one sided facts without giving any context about anything.    It's not a full story.    What do you call half stories?

3 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Excuse me.  31st ranked D and worst ranked scoring D.  Point taken.  I am a Colts fan but you guys are acting like the Colts have played good ball but had some bad breaks.  This team is literally a work in progress that is in total rebuild mode (outside of the QB position).

No one will question the work in progress.  But is it realistic to be able to win each week....yes!  Can we win the next 3 yes, will we who knows.  You reference a week 2 game when we had numerous injuries a brand new D and a wet behind the ears QB that had just cracked open a playbook for us.  A little drastic!

Just now, krunk said:

So because you beat two winless teams means that you can't beat anyone else?   Should I honestly believe that?     That's basically what you're trying to build this around?

No, I'm just saying this team isn't good right now.  They aren't better than the Titans.  If we didn't have that win streak vs the Titans no one here or anywhere would even think we'd beat them with a backup QB unless it was known that Mariota will not play.

I don't know if you watched the games I watched, but I saw Dashone Kizer and Brian Hoyer run up and down the field on this team in the 2nd halves.  I've seen our coaches go into stand by mode once they get any kind of lead.  I've seen our HC (and this is over his entire tenure) go into complete conservative mode until the team is down in the 4th and then they start taking chances.  We don't have the talent to play that way anymore.  We don't have Manning or Luck or Harrison or Freeney or Mathis or Wayne or Sanders or etc. to bail us out of those situations right now.

3 minutes ago, tikyle said:

No, I'm just saying this team isn't good right now.  They aren't better than the Titans.  If we didn't have that win streak vs the Titans no one here or anywhere would even think we'd beat them with a backup QB unless it was known that Mariota will not play.

I don't know if you watched the games I watched, but I saw Dashone Kizer and Brian Hoyer run up and down the field on this team in the 2nd halves.  I've seen our coaches go into stand by mode once they get any kind of lead.  I've seen our HC (and this is over his entire tenure) go into complete conservative mode until the team is down in the 4th and then they start taking chances.  We don't have the talent to play that way anymore.  We don't have Manning or Luck or Harrison or Freeney or Mathis or Wayne or Sanders or etc. to bail us out of those situations right now.

Kizer went up and down the field?   That's why the game was basically a blow out with 8 minutes to go on the clock?  It was because Kizer was ripping us to shreds?   Same situation with the Niners game.   That game was a decisive win for us up until the middle of the 4th quarter.    Why are you not speaking on these truths?  You say you like truth right?   You like to tell these stories as if we just go in there and get ripped by everyone and it's just not true.   What you ought to be saying is we've had problems closing teams out.   But we're not hearing you say that.

7 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Do we really need to be Good or great to beat another 2-3 team?   That's the question here.   Why arent' you talking about that Titans defense that gave up 56 points to Houston?  You sure like to talk  about the 46 we gave up to the Rams.  You go on ad nauzeum talking about that one bro.

Just now, krunk said:

Kizer went up and down the field?   That's why the game was basically a blow out with 8 minutes to go on the clock?  It was because Kizer was ripping us to shreds.   Same situation with the Niners game.   That game was a decisive win for us up until the middle of the 4th quarter.    Why are you not speaking on these truths?  You say you like truth right?

So if you build a big lead and give it up, what is the net result?  I said we had leads, but we lost them.  We played well vs the Seahawks for a half and then fell apart in the 2nd half.  Notice a pattern?  You want a cookie for playing 30 minutes of good football followed by 30 minutes of poor football?  It just further goes to show this team just doesn't have it at this moment.  It's not to say they don't have the ingredients or the talent or even the current roster to be good down the line.  But at this moment they are not there.  Can they put together 60 minutes of good football?  I don't know.  I haven't seen them do it much if at all the last two seasons.

The more and more we go over this, the more I'm convinced we have a serious coaching issue.  Losing the same way over and over and over to me points to preparation, execution and strategy.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Do we really need to be Good or great to beat another 2-3 team?   That's the question here.   Why arent' you talking about that Titans defense that gave up 56 points to Houston?  You sure like to talk  about the 46 we gave up to the Rams.  You go on ad nauzeum talking about that one bro.

Do you really want to compare who the Titans beat and lost to vs who we beat and lost to?  Do you really want to go there.  Seriously?

Oh and for the record I never brought up losing to the Rams or giving up 46.  I just said we were 32nd in scoring D and lost by a combined 60+ points.  I didn't pick the Rams game out like it was some sort of outlier.

Just now, tikyle said:

So if you build a big lead and give it up, what is the net result?  I said we had leads, but we lost them.  We played well vs the Seahawks for a half and then fell apart in the 2nd half.  Notice a pattern?  You want a cookie for playing 30 minutes of good football followed by 30 minutes of poor football?  It just further goes to show this team just doesn't have it at this moment.  It's not to say they don't have the ingredients or the talent or even the current roster to be good down the line.  But at this moment they are not there.  Can they put together 60 minutes of good football?  I don't know.  I haven't seen them do it much if at all the last two seasons.

The more and more we go over this, the more I'm convinced we have a serious coaching issue.  Losing the same way over and over and over to me points to preparation, execution and strategy.

It's not about cookies although I like them.  Especially with Milk!

It's about identifying the points in the game where you did not play well

and getting those areas fixed.    Like the costly offensive turnovers that played a big

influence on what happened defensively.   Why arent you speaking about this?  You just want us to believe that we're just trash.  Is that why?

Do you really want to compare who the Titans beat and lost to vs who we beat and lost to?  Do you really want to go there.  Seriously?

Oh and for the record I never brought up losing to the Rams or giving up 46.  I just said we were 32nd in scoring D and lost by a combined 60+ points.  I didn't pick the Rams game out like it was some sort of outlier.

Are the Rams a bad team?

Oh most certainly you've brought it up before.    Sure you have

Just now, krunk said:

It's not about cookies although I like them.  Especially with Milk!

It's about identifying the points in the game where you did not play well

and getting those areas fixed.    Like the costly offensive turnovers that played a big

influence on what happened defensively.   Why arent you speaking about this?  You just want us to believe that we're just trash.  Is that why?

Why do you keep making things up and accounting them to me?  When did I ever say we were trash?  I said we are not there.  You can pick out anything you want to from the first five games, but it will all point to us not being good.  Whether on offense or defense.

Just now, krunk said:

Are the Rams a bad team?

No.  I never said they were bad.  But have we beaten a GOOD team?  Because the Titans beat the Raiders and Jags and Seahawks.  Are any of those three teams bad teams?

1 minute ago, tikyle said:

And does that really mean anything, knowing the game  is largely about match ups, game plans, and availability?

Can we win the next 3? Yes, it seems a possibility based on the progression the team seems to be making.

Will we win the next 3? Who knows. Tune in. If life was so predictable, there'd be nothing to talk about.

I suppose if we're all to act solely based on what's taken place, so far, Patriots fans must be in a panic. Yet, most still think they'll be there in the end.

Who are the dominant teams in the AFC right now?

4 minutes ago, tikyle said:

My question was is it really insane to believe we can or will beat the Titans?

Are they really playing good football right now?   The answer is no and that is on both sides of the football.    

6 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Why do you keep making things up and accounting them to me?  When did I ever say we were trash?  I said we are not there.  You can pick out anything you want to from the first five games, but it will all point to us not being good.  Whether on offense or defense.

No.  I never said they were bad.  But have we beaten a GOOD team?  Because the Titans beat the Raiders and Jags and Seahawks.  Are any of those three teams bad teams?

Is the season over with?   And does any of that mean we can't beat a good team?  Of course it does not.   Certainly you know that.  And does the 2-3 record of our next opponent mean they are good?   2-3 doesn't mean you are good.