Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If this OL could start to run block at a high level

HOF19

13 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

this line needs 4 above average players along side kelly

That isn't  happening this season. We really need Clark to figure it out at RT.  I'm hoping he's close to getting another look. Kelly being back is going to help a lot. We will get the correct calls theoretically we should look more organized vs stunts and blitzes. We should start seeing his stabilizing influence. 

I'm not sure we still can't upgrade LG. We just added two to the OL. Both play on the interior. Person has KC ties and Kalis a rookie from UM.  Good could come off the IR in a few weeks if he's healed up. There is the possibility of it coming around. We really need Clark to get it together and be the player most thought he could. The player he started to look like last season.   We don't need another bust there are enough holes on the roster. 

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

That isn't  happening this season. We really need Clark to figure it out at RT.  I'm hoping he's close to getting another look. Kelly being back is going to help a lot. We will get the correct calls theoretically we should look more organized vs stunts and blitzes. We should start seeing his stabilizing influence. 

I'm not sure we still can't upgrade LG. We just added two to the OL. Both play on the interior. Person has KC ties and Kalis a rookie from UM.  Good could come off the IR in a few weeks if he's healed up. There is the possibility of it coming around. We really need Clark to get it together and be the player most thought he could. The player he started to look like last season.   We don't need another bust there are enough holes on the roster. 

Clark isn't a RT he isn't comfortable there they need to move AC to RT and let Clark take a shot at LT

Everybody sure does like to make Castonzo their oline whipping boy, and it's so unfounded. People act like he should be on Joe Thomas' level, but honestly, there's only one Joe Thomas. Yeah Castonzo gets beat sometimes and he's not going to be an all pro, but the dude is solid. He is our best lineman and has been for 6 years.

The reason people put Kelly and Mewhort ahead of him is because they don't get beat as much in pass protection, which is how it tends to work when you're double teaming some 300 pound DT on an interior rush versus being on an island for outside speed rushers. Plus AC is always available. If he were ever hurt for an extended period of time you'd see what bad LT play looks like. 

Right now, AC is rated 14th out of all tackles in the league. Not just Left Tackles, but ALL tackles. That firmly puts him in the better half of the league, possibly in the top 25% among LTs. Also, keep in mind he's playing next to Vuj, who is doing him no favors and the play calling often makes his job even harder. 

He is the least of our problems on the oline. 

I don't think we are a million miles away.

To my uneducated eye, Vujnovich and Haeg are the weak areas.  If Good comes back and is solid at RT then perhaps Haeg fits back into the LG role and plays better and we have a serviceable unit.

I just want to go into next year with a set 5 guys who know what position they are playing, rather than the musical chairs we have played this year that cant be good for the unit or the QB.

In Ballard We Trust

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

They don't have to be above average. Just average and sound players.

Not too many teams in the NFL have a complete o-line of above average linemen.

So the league is full of either elite or terrible lineman with only a few average ones sprinkled into the mix? 

Is it possible that your standard of what average is might be too high? I would imagine that being an o-lineman has got to be hard...

9 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Kelly and Mewhort are the only above average players this line has Castonzo if he got switched to RT would be above average until that happens no.

This is a terrible statement....and the sad thing is people are starting to believe this.  AC is not terrible, and he never has been.  Has he had a bad year, yes to his standards.  Plus, saying our best lineman, who is a LT, needs to moved to a whole other position is just not smart at all.  

5 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Everybody sure does like to make Castonzo their oline whipping boy, and it's so unfounded. People act like he should be on Joe Thomas' level, but honestly, there's only one Joe Thomas. Yeah Castonzo gets beat sometimes and he's not going to be an all pro, but the dude is solid. He is our best lineman and has been for 6 years.

The reason people put Kelly and Mewhort ahead of him is because they don't get beat as much in pass protection, which is how it tends to work when you're double teaming some 300 pound DT on an interior rush versus being on an island for outside speed rushers. Plus AC is always available. If he were ever hurt for an extended period of time you'd see what bad LT play looks like. 

Right now, AC is rated 14th out of all tackles in the league. Not just Left Tackles, but ALL tackles. That firmly puts him in the better half of the league, possibly in the top 25% among LTs. Also, keep in mind he's playing next to Vuj, who is doing him no favors and the play calling often makes his job even harder. 

Thank you for finally putting perspective in here.  So many claim AC is terrible and needs to move to RT to be good.  It is just purely craziness to me.  He does not have the fastest feet and NEVER has, even when drafted.  Some elite speed rushers beat him, but I like your point as he is not and will never be Joe Thomas.

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd be happy if we could just get that damn Vujonovich off the field.

Let's see how is with Kelly next to him for a couple of games.  Not saying he is the answer but playing next to a better player who is making the line calls could help out quite a bit.  He did win the job with this roster.  Hopefully a little more chemistry helps. 

5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

So the league is full of either elite or terrible lineman with only a few average ones sprinkled into the mix? 

Is it possible that your standard of what average is might be too high? I would imagine that being an o-lineman has got to be hard...

My standard? What are you even talking about? I deal in reality. High caliber O-linemen are hard to find and when one is found he gets expensive vey quick. Not too many teams can maintain the payroll of having all pro o-linemen on their roster.

11 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

On top of all of this, he's also been an elite run blocker this season.

14 minutes ago, needanoline63 said:

Elite level?!?  I wish. Even mewhort and Castonzo are doing bad this year. We need all offensive line next year in draft

Mewhort's definitely been playing hurt, Pagano all but said that in his presser a couple days ago. They're still sprinkling in days off of practice during the week in an attempt to get him back to 100%. Hopefully we start to see some results sooner than later, because whether he's hurt or not, if the play we're seeing continues, I'd be surprised if Ballard re-signs him. Then we'll have yet another OL need going into the offseason.

14 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I don't think we are a million miles away.

To my uneducated eye, Vujnovich and Haeg are the weak areas.  If Good comes back and is solid at RT then perhaps Haeg fits back into the LG role and plays better and we have a serviceable unit.

I just want to go into next year with a set 5 guys who know what position they are playing, rather than the musical chairs we have played this year that cant be good for the unit or the QB.

In Ballard We Trust

I concur Haeg is stronger at OG 

21 hours ago, lance_m8 said:

Clark isn't a RT he isn't comfortable there they need to move AC to RT and let Clark take a shot at LT

You are all mixed up and you have it backwards. AC is not a RT. He is a LT that's the position he played at BC and every down in the NFL. He's never played RT and probably won't. The guy is isn't an elite LT but he's top 20   LT has been the most stable position on our OL for several years. 

You want to take a proven LT and move him to RT. Then take Clark a 2nd year guy who can't earn a start but you think would be a better LT. What you based this belief on is anyone's guess. Yoi want to start Clark at LT. This you believe this is what we need to do. This is a bad idea. 

Castonzo is the LT and I don't see that changing in the near future. His contract becomes pretty affordable comparatively next season. We may not pick high enough to find an upgrade in the draft. I think our focus will be pass rush regardless. It will be next to impossible to find an upgrade in FA. 

Castonzo isn't the problem to begin with. We need help at G and have for a minute. If Mewhort doesn't come around we will need a lot of help there. RT is a problem with Good on the IR. I'm not positive that's the answer but he'd be nice to have out there right now. What we need from Clark is to step up and hold down RT position. The OL could be pretty good if we could ever get healthy but moving AC does nothing but create a hole at LT

37 minutes ago, akcolt said:

You are all mixed up and you have it backwards. AC is not a RT. He is a LT that's the position he played at BC and every down in the NFL. He's never played RT and probably won't. The guy is isn't an elite LT but he's top 20   LT has been the most stable position on our OL for several years. 

You want to take a proven LT and move him to RT. Then take Clark a 2nd year guy who can't earn a start but you think would be a better LT. What you based this belief on is anyone's guess. Yoi want to start Clark at LT. This you believe this is what we need to do. This is a bad idea. 

Castonzo is the LT and I don't see that changing in the near future. His contract becomes pretty affordable comparatively next season. We may not pick high enough to find an upgrade in the draft. I think our focus will be pass rush regardless. It will be next to impossible to find an upgrade in FA. 

Castonzo isn't the problem to begin with. We need help at G and have for a minute. If Mewhort doesn't come around we will need a lot of help there. RT is a problem with Good on the IR. I'm not positive that's the answer but he'd be nice to have out there right now. What we need from Clark is to step up and hold down RT position. The OL could be pretty good if we could ever get healthy but moving AC does nothing but create a hole at LT

You are right I kinda got caught up in all of the AC hate on this forum and was brainwashed a little bit but yeah AC is solid he isn't great but he is solid and as soon as the guy next to him isn't named Vuj and is actually decent his production will probably increase

9 hours ago, lance_m8 said:

You are right I kinda got caught up in all of the AC hate on this forum and was brainwashed a little bit but yeah AC is solid he isn't great but he is solid and as soon as the guy next to him isn't named Vuj and is actually decent his production will probably increase

I think having Kelly back will actually help Vuj and Mewhort a lot.  Huge difference between Kelly and Bond. 

4 minutes ago, will426 said:

I don't think Bond was the problem Vuj was the one tripping everyone up and stepping on the qb 

I think having a rookie in there is very difficult especially Bond.   Kelly was far ahead of Bond as a rookie last year and he should have been. Players are trying to compensate for his inexperience and helping him out instead of being entirely focused on their own responsibilities.  I think our line will gel better with Kelly and improve overall. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think having a rookie in there is very difficult especially Bond.   Kelly was far ahead of Bond as a rookie last year and he should have been. Players are trying to compensate for his inexperience and helping him out instead of being entirely focused on their own responsibilities.  I think our line will gel better with Kelly and improve overall. 

Bond played his tail end off nothing but respect for him stepping up and playing well but cmon guys Vuj needs to go he is terrible. Agreed Kelly will improve this line but bond wasn't the problem now if Kelly was a G and was replacing Vuj and Bond was still healthy then I would say having Kelly back will turn this line around but nevertheless I am glad he is back Go Colts!

It's gotten to be fairly humorous what we have started to settle for with offensive linemen.  Several saying we don't have to get many above average, or AC is not bad, etc. OL is the  foundation of an offense after the QB position. The evidence of this is our OL over the past 8 years or so. We accept average at best and say its ok. It's not ok. You need 3 above average to excellent OL to really make an offense go. No, you don't need 5, but yes, you need 3. Mewhort and Kelly are a good start. Kelly's jury is still out, but Mewhort is above average. If you accept AC at LT, we will always see Luck, Bissett or whomever continue to run for their lives. If you don't think they have been for years, you haven't been watching Colts football very closely or you are a relative of one of the O linemen of the last 8 years. We need to get a good LT, sure AC would be average at RT and that would be ok. We could hopefully get an average RG. But the key is finding a very good to excellent LT. The talent positions are in place with the offense but the O line must be addressed in the offseason.