Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Denzelle Good able to return this year?

DanishColtsFan

Hello
I've been listening to Matt Danely's colts podcast and he talks about Denzelle Good being able to return in a few weeks. Is that possible? I mean Geathers was on PUP, which means he can return after week 6. And the new rules regarding IR mean that two players can be brought back after week 8. So is it possible that both Swoope and Denzelle Good are coming back after week 8 or was Denzelle's injury too severe for him to be ready to return already?

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere, I couldn't find any thread regarding this.

9 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Swoope, Good, Geathers. and Luck all coming back at the same time?!??!! 

Image result for it's like christmas gif

And guys like Rogers, Hairston and Wilson before that....I just hope this team can hang in there and win some games before some of these starters arrive. I'm glad Tennessee may not have Mariotta and the Jacksonville game is in Indy. 

He tore a ligament in his wrist. Typically, it takes a surgically repaired ligament 3-6 months to heal, and then there's rehab, strengthening, etc., which is easier for a wrist than for a knee, but still mission critical. I suppose it's possible for him to come back with a clubbed hand, but I wouldn't want one of my offensive linemen to have to play with a club. Maybe a defensive lineman.

If I had to bet, I'd say Good misses the year.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

He tore a ligament in his wrist. Typically, it takes a surgically repaired ligament 3-6 months to heal, and then there's rehab, strengthening, etc., which is easier for a wrist than for a knee, but still mission critical. I suppose it's possible for him to come back with a clubbed hand, but I wouldn't want one of my offensive linemen to have to play with a club. Maybe a defensive lineman.

I was feeling a little optimistic reading this thread until this. Bubble burster!

16 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I was feeling a little optimistic reading this thread until this. Bubble burster!

I mean, I know nothing. Just my own personal projection, and I could totally be wrong.

At this point, I'd love to have Good back on the right side of the line, because Haeg seems to get worse each week, and Mewhort isn't looking great at RG either.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I mean, I know nothing. Just my own personal projection, and I could totally be wrong.

At this point, I'd love to have Good back on the right side of the line, because Haeg seems to get worse each week, and Mewhort isn't looking great at RG either.

JMO

If we had another OT I would move Haeg inside, move Mewhort over to the Leftside and bench JV

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

How is it possible that the OL would not be improved by playing Clark at RT? The same thing at ILB there is no way Bostic and Morrison are our best options in coverage. We don't try anything to improve? Bostic has played every snap on D this season. The staff seems content to just allow the ILB's hold the D back and OL play to limit the O. It's frustrating to watch us accept below average play. 

We have options. George has earned more reps at ILB. He makes plays when given the opportunity. He played very well in his one start. Frankly he's looked like the best ILB on the team.  We could try Green in a hybrid role. There's no way his coverage could be worse. We do nothing. The OL is baffling to me. How do we not take another look at Clark at RT? We are married to Vujnovich at LG. 

13 minutes ago, akcolt said:

How is it possible that the OL would not be improved by playing Clark at RT? The same thing at ILB there is no way Bostic and Morrison are our best options in coverage. We don't try anything to improve? Bostic has played every snap on D this season. The staff seems content to just allow the ILB's hold the D back and OL play to limit the O. It's frustrating to watch us accept below average play. 

We have options. George has earned more reps at ILB. He makes plays when given the opportunity. He played very well in his one start. Frankly he's looked like the best ILB on the team.  We could try Green in a hybrid role. There's no way his coverage could be worse. We do nothing. The OL is baffling to me. How do we not take another look at Clark at RT? We are married to Vujnovich at LG. 

I don't really agree with most of this. 

I do think Clark should get back in the lineup, because what we're doing right now is bad. But it's been five games. You don't go changing your lineup every couple of weeks, or every time a guy has a bad game. You give the line time to gel. I think Haeg and Vuj are getting worse over the past two weeks, so I think this is a good time to consider a change, but I understand why they've gone with this lineup for the time being. I don't think we're married to either of those guys at their respective positions. If they continue to play poorly, and we still don't make a change, then I'll be on your side.

At ILB, I do think they need to try different things in coverage, but I don't think we have anyone who can cover at ILB, including George. It's kind of a 'what's the worse that could happen' scenario, but from what I've seen, he can't cover either. He would bring more energy and range, and that's fine, but I don't see him as good enough to fix the coverage across the middle. I could be wrong, and I'm not opposed to giving him more reps, but we're just not good enough.

And using Green at hybrid seems like a good idea, but they've moved him all around the defense in the last two months. He might be on overload. Besides that, I don't think he'd be good at the hybrid role; he's a very different player than Geathers.

So I guess I agree with some of your criticisms, but I don't have a problem with the staff not trying a different lineup every other week. I think now is the time to start looking at changes, and if we don't see any and players continue to underperform, then I'll feel a lot like you do now.

I can't see making any changes to the OL at this time.  Kelly just returned to the starting lineup and he is one of our best and most important lineman.  His return will help make Vuj and Mewhort better players at their positions. They need time to gel as a unit like any other line.   Panicking now will only make things worse.  I was counting on Goods return to really help stabilize the line as well.  If he is done for the year that would be a serious blow to the line because Haag isn't getting it done and Clark is even worse than Haag.  The fact that Ballard has gone this long with Haag makes me feel that Good is coming back and no need to bring in another FA tackle or sign a player off a practice squad.  Luck is scheduled to return soon.  If Good is, in fact, done for the year I would hope Ballard finds another RT to replace Haag. I would not want to roll the dice with him or Clark with Andrew sitting back there.  We are only a game back with a long way to go.  We need Good back for the second half of the season or a better player at RT.  

23 hours ago, Superman said:

I do think Clark should get back in the lineup, because what we're doing right now is bad. But it's been five games. You don't go changing your lineup every couple of weeks, or every time a guy has a bad game. You give the line time to gel. I think Haeg and Vuj are getting worse over the past two weeks, so I think this is a good time to consider a change, but I understand why they've gone with this lineup for the time being. I don't think we're married to either of those guys at their respective positions. If they continue to play poorly, and we still don't make a change, then I'll be on your side.

At ILB, I do think they need to try different things in coverage, but I don't think we have anyone who can cover at ILB, including George. It's kind of a 'what's the worse that could happen' scenario, but from what I've seen, he can't cover either. He would bring more energy and range, and that's fine, but I don't see him as good enough to fix the coverage across the middle. I could be wrong, and I'm not opposed to giving him more reps, but we're just not good enough.

And using Green at hybrid seems like a good idea, but they've moved him all around the defense in the last two months. He might be on overload. Besides that, I don't think he'd be good at the hybrid role; he's a very different player than Geathers.

So I guess I agree with some of your criticisms, but I don't have a problem with the staff not trying a different lineup every other week. I think now is the time to start looking at changes, and if we don't see any and players continue to underperform, then I'll feel a lot like you do now.

This thing with Clark baffles me but it was apparent there was a big drop off between the end of last year and this year. It’s ironic because he looked terrible at the beginning of last year then seemed to improve. Other than getting some key players back, I don’t know if there is a more critical unit to the Colts success this year than the Oline.

As far as ILB, I’m hoping Geathers can get healthy enough to be worked into that role. I hope the competition brings somebody to the forefront. The Dline, OLBs and Secondary all look like they are improving. 

On 10/11/2017 at 7:30 PM, Douzer said:

Came across a Washington Post article about why athletes heal quicker. A little lengthy but they mentioned zero gravity treadmills and a compression/cooling device made by NASA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/pro-athletes-recover-faster-than-amateurs-partly-because-they-get-superior-medical-care/2013/11/11/9da3385c-d291-11e2-8cbe-1bcbee06f8f8_story.html?utm_term=.d4c34375b7f2

Maybe they can get Good to a point where he wears a brace, instead of a club. I just wonder if the Clark issue is lack of confidence? We all saw him play well last year. Thoughts?

On 10/11/2017 at 5:51 AM, DanishColtsFan said:

Hello
I've been listening to Matt Danely's colts podcast and he talks about Denzelle Good being able to return in a few weeks. Is that possible? I mean Geathers was on PUP, which means he can return after week 6. And the new rules regarding IR mean that two players can be brought back after week 8. So is it possible that both Swoope and Denzelle Good are coming back after week 8 or was Denzelle's injury too severe for him to be ready to return already?

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere, I couldn't find any thread regarding this.

What was Swoope's injury and what is the likelyhood that he could return relatively soon? 

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Came across a Washington Post article about why athletes heal quicker. A little lengthy but they mentioned zero gravity treadmills and a compression/cooling device made by NASA.

Maybe they can get Good to a point where he wears a brace, instead of a club. I just wonder if the Clark issue is lack of confidence? We all saw him play well last year. Thoughts?

My thoughts on Clark:  He read the articles that said he was the starting RT before the season  began.  He came to camp thinking he didn't have to work for it or put in the time to get better.  Surprise!   Another lazy player who doesn't want to work to make himself better.  Could be on the outside looking in next year.  Prove me wrong big fella.  

20 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I speculated about Clark in a thread during preseason. 

http://forums.colts.com/topic/53275-right-tackle/?do=findComment&comment=1558421

I hope I'm right! 

31 minutes ago, Douzer said:

I speculated about Clark in a thread during preseason. 

http://forums.colts.com/topic/53275-right-tackle/?do=findComment&comment=1558421

I hope I'm right! 

It's like my old coach used to say... practice does not make perfect... perfect practice makes perfect.  Then he'd explain you have to do something 100+ times to get it perfect and then do it perfectly 100+ times to do it perfectly in a game.

I don't know what Clark's deal is, from what I remember he didn't look too bad in the preseason this year but he does lack functional strength, he could be in perfect position on a defender and still get pushed backwards.

On 10/11/2017 at 3:59 PM, Superman said:

What about a cast? Fingers & thumb exposed, but wrist stabilized? 

On 10/11/2017 at 4:52 PM, Superman said:

I wasn't not trying to advocate for musical chairs on the OL. It's frustrating to continually see the same things be a problem RT and G. I guess I should accept the staff knows what they are doing with Clark. It's their history which opens the door for second guessing. Clark dropping from a starter to being behind Vujnovich Good and Haeg. That's a drastic drop  Kelly could stabilize the inside and it makes sense not to mess with the interior until he was back and settled in. 

The D is slightly different. I think I like George more than you is the biggest difference. I think we need his speed inside  I'm tired of watching opponents running away from our ILB. The starters aren't bad vs the run but they aren't closing the corner George can play sideline to sideline He may not hold up as an every down because of his size but there we no signs that'd be a problem vs AZ. I think he is a big improvement in coverage too. The guy makes plays and plays fast. We had injuries to deal with on D but it's not nearly as disruptive to try different sub packages. 

Do you know the injury that landed E Jackson on the IR? Anyone?